Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

burial posted:

>>Cecily wrinkles her nose, but not in a bad way. While she’s not willing to give up entirely on ensnaring the elemental, she shifts gears and makes an attempt to amplify her own ability to make sense of whatever it’s so desperate to communicate.

((Some kind of translation spell or, failing that, at least empathic levels of comprehension.))

-42 and you crit fail
The creature becomes crazed and desperate and clutches at you grotesquely

Ardlen posted:

"Wha? Even when I stay on the ground, I still end up dealing with heights!"

Tiny will start pulling himself up, using Mack's help if he can.

"Maybe this place is ancient? Let me just glance down, I'm sure it'll be fine."

uuuuuuuuh you're not a magician but if there's an elemental plane of fire this might not be it. Now that the howling thing has your attention it begins to advance. From its vocalizations you get the feeling it's trying to tell you something but you're not about to find out what.

reignofevil posted:

>>Lutos just starts talking at the book! If he pushes enough carbon into the air in there he'll help tiny by initiating climbate change

Stoner Sloth posted:

>>Thinking quickly Mack removes his belt to get full access to the length of chain connecting his hammerpicks, then he carefully lowers one down towards where Tiny is stranded - yelling out "Oi mate, grab onto this and I'll pull you up!" into the book. He doesn't know if Tiny will be able to hear him but worth a try.

>>The unreasonably sized half dwarf keeps a single loop of chain wrapped around one of his arms and the remaining hammerpick held in one hand to secure it fully - not wanting to lose his weapon and more importantly not wanting to lose Tiny's chance of escaping the tome world.

You guys barely are able to work together to haul Tiny up. He narrowly avoids a pick in the eye and you're able to haul him before he's devoured or worse. Unfortunately Mack's burned by the sheer amount of heat conducting through the chain, but it isn't so bad. 10/12

-----------------

naem posted:

“Who’s a good widdle murder monster! Is it you? Are you the good widdle murder monsters heh heh! OY! Lads I think they like me!!”

I say over my shoulder. Oblivious to my party members trapped in the library I do happy little dwarf dance for the gryphlings

they love it and do their best to happily mimic your actions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>>Mack grits his teeth as he pulls up the heated chain, feeling his flesh cook. On the bright side the smell of seared half dwarf goes part way to blocking out the horrible stench that the demonic critters left all over his armor so swings and roundabouts there.

>>More importantly Tiny is safe and the big guy gives a sigh of relief once the gnome is out of the book. He lays the hammerpicks and chain to one side to let them cool and then moves to assist Cecily, seeking to grab hold of the remaining creature and restrain it either for her to try to find some way to control it or in order to throw it back into the book if necessary. "Someone get ready to close that book." he bellows, wanting to make sure they don't let anything else out.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
>>Cecily is good and frustrated now, as well as a little bit more than a little freaked. She redoubles her efforts to bend the creature to her will.

>>The girl’s experience with Shiny is markedly different, yes, and she’s new to much of this? but that doesn’t mean she isn’t clear on how it’s done. In these matters, size, flesh, the fragility of self are not limiting factors. Often, anger is the only metric.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

"Uh, I don't know where I just went, but I don't think gnomes should be there." Tiny will pat down his tunic to make sure he's not on fire.

He will then stand ready to slam the book shut either if anything else starts coming through or if the last fire dude gets sent back through it.

naem
May 29, 2011

“Ya na na Na!!” I’m doing jazz hands happily at the monsters

“Oy why is the door all blocked w’ roots?”

I peer back at the blocked doorway to the library

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

burial posted:

>>Cecily is good and frustrated now, as well as a little bit more than a little freaked. She redoubles her efforts to bend the creature to her will.

>>The girl’s experience with Shiny is markedly different, yes, and she’s new to much of this? but that doesn’t mean she isn’t clear on how it’s done. In these matters, size, flesh, the fragility of self are not limiting factors. Often, anger is the only metric.

>> Shelly, fresh from her failure at doin' an untested ad-hoc ritual with improvised tools and half remembered incantations, falls back to her tried and true methods. Cecily wants one of these things alive, the least she can do is help.

>> Creeping up on the distracted flame creature with chain in hand like a shark waiting to strike, Shelly will attempt to bind or restrict the thing to assist in Cec's dominating endeavor. It's just what friends do.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

>>Cecily, at least peripherally aware of what’s going on around her, shakes her head ever so slightly - but definitively - in the negative.

>>She speaks then, unmistakable fondness somehow colouring the growlsome and clipped words. “Grab me. Pour your stuff in. You got this.” It’s encouraging!

>>The girl had felt close a few moments before. With maybe extra magic...

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Uhhh I'm gonna go ahead and cast Protective Ward on that there book to stop more nightmares from coming out while we deal with these little dudes. Are they hungry? I offer them some crab meat.

naem
May 29, 2011

*peering through the root blocked doorway*

“Hey do you guys have new pets too?? Haha yeah!! Wait what ARE those things, are you, wrestling ‘em? What’s that burning smell??”

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
>>'I don't know what to tell ya guys my magic powers only work when I've fully materialized and this is like.... I dunno easily important enough I can't just stand here silently but is it really bust out the magic bard song important methinks perhaps not'

>>You don't actually think you've seen Lutos do all that much bard stuff since he died........

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Stoner Sloth posted:

>>Mack grits his teeth as he pulls up the heated chain, feeling his flesh cook. On the bright side the smell of seared half dwarf goes part way to blocking out the horrible stench that the demonic critters left all over his armor so swings and roundabouts there.

>>More importantly Tiny is safe and the big guy gives a sigh of relief once the gnome is out of the book. He lays the hammerpicks and chain to one side to let them cool and then moves to assist Cecily, seeking to grab hold of the remaining creature and restrain it either for her to try to find some way to control it or in order to throw it back into the book if necessary. "Someone get ready to close that book." he bellows, wanting to make sure they don't let anything else out.

clockwork chaos posted:

>> Shelly, fresh from her failure at doin' an untested ad-hoc ritual with improvised tools and half remembered incantations, falls back to her tried and true methods. Cecily wants one of these things alive, the least she can do is help.

>> Creeping up on the distracted flame creature with chain in hand like a shark waiting to strike, Shelly will attempt to bind or restrict the thing to assist in Cec's dominating endeavor. It's just what friends do.

22, you guys are able to restrain it again, but it doesn't like this at all and starts howling and squealing

Ardlen posted:

"Uh, I don't know where I just went, but I don't think gnomes should be there." Tiny will pat down his tunic to make sure he's not on fire.

He will then stand ready to slam the book shut either if anything else starts coming through or if the last fire dude gets sent back through it.

Beet Wagon posted:

Uhhh I'm gonna go ahead and cast Protective Ward on that there book to stop more nightmares from coming out while we deal with these little dudes. Are they hungry? I offer them some crab meat.

24, no further beings are able to climb out, but you guys can see them down there, struggling pretty hard to get into this world.

naem posted:

*peering through the root blocked doorway*

“Hey do you guys have new pets too?? Haha yeah!! Wait what ARE those things, are you, wrestling ‘em? What’s that burning smell??”

rolling lore... 17
It's a demon from one of the 18 hells, of course. Seems like a lesser one. Not particularly wise to let it run around loose like this.
Releth shows up, finishing off a cig. "You see the griffons? Nice, right?"

"Wait what exactly is going on here?"

burial posted:

Rolling binds …1
You take out your holy icon and focus. The thing slows and then stops struggling. It's just looking at you with glaucous, blank eyes. You can tell it's not really caught, just temporarily subdued.

reignofevil posted:

>>'I don't know what to tell ya guys my magic powers only work when I've fully materialized and this is like.... I dunno easily important enough I can't just stand here silently but is it really bust out the magic bard song important methinks perhaps not'

>>You don't actually think you've seen Lutos do all that much bard stuff since he died........

hey howling with the wind is basically singing, right?

naem
May 29, 2011

SniperWoreConverse posted:

rolling lore... 17
It's a demon from one of the 18 hells, of course. Seems like a lesser one. Not particularly wise to let it run around loose like this.
Releth shows up, finishing off a cig. "You see the griffons? Nice, right?"

"Wait what exactly is going on here?"

“Yeah griffons! They yours?? Lil beasties heh. Yeh my friends in there arr fightin’, looks like demons or somat. This happens to us a lot. Pardon me a sec lemme go straighten this out so’s we don’t bother yeh too much.”

**aiming the bow between gaps in the doorway roots**

“OY! YOU LOT, WANT ME T’ SHOOT ANTHING? DON’T MAKE A MESS NOW OUR HOST’S WATCHIN’ LIKE”

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>>Mack struggles to restrain the beast even with Shelly's help and comments "Ya got this Cecily? Otherwise I think we need to put this little bugger back into the book right now." and ready to help throw the beast back into the tome at a moments notice if Cecily has given up on the idea or to give her one more chance to get it under control.

>>Looking to Shelly he adds "If we need ta throw it back then you make sure ya get outta the way before we get to the book, alright? Don't want ya falling in and it's less likely that they can get me to fit or pull me off balance... I hope."

burial
Sep 13, 2002

>>Eyes roll back as Cecily’s innumerable beads hasten to unspool - only to try to lick themselves around the limbs & body of the rapt elemental. If anybody’s talking to her specifically, she isn’t hearing it.

>>The girl is too busy throwing every ounce of her semi-legendary cluelessness into willfully dragging the drat thing back into the circle of herself. Metaphorically, at least. It’s cool and probably intentional that the physical stuff is running parallel though. Sometimes symbolism bolsters poo poo all on its own maybe?

>>That’s the hope.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

burial posted:

>>Eyes roll back as Cecily’s innumerable beads hasten to unspool - only to try to lick themselves around the limbs & body of the rapt elemental. If anybody’s talking to her specifically, she isn’t hearing it.

>>The girl is too busy throwing every ounce of her semi-legendary cluelessness into willfully dragging the drat thing back into the circle of herself. Metaphorically, at least. It’s cool and probably intentional that the physical stuff is running parallel though. Sometimes symbolism bolsters poo poo all on its own maybe?

>>That’s the hope.

-11, and you crit fail
The thing has a head like a hog and it opens its maw to reveal thousands of needle like teeth. It hisses and spits at you, and the slime gets on your magegun.

naem posted:

“Yeah griffons! They yours?? Lil beasties heh. Yeh my friends in there arr fightin’, looks like demons or somat. This happens to us a lot. Pardon me a sec lemme go straighten this out so’s we don’t bother yeh too much.”

**aiming the bow between gaps in the doorway roots**

“OY! YOU LOT, WANT ME T’ SHOOT ANTHING? DON’T MAKE A MESS NOW OUR HOST’S WATCHIN’ LIKE”

Releth has seen enough and barges directly into the library. The roots desiccate and crumble away as soon as he approaches them. "Seriously!?"
With a gesture he summons a dust devil in from the open desert, a big one, and it grasps the struggling creature and hurtles it back into the book effortlessly.
Releth slaps the book shut and continues, "35 years! 35 years of this bullshit!"
The devil lifts him to a very high, very secure looking shelf that has been left unlocked, and he replaces the book, slams the dust cover shut, and locks away that panel. "And of course there's demon grease everywhere!"
The devil gingerly returns him to the floor and leaves.

"This is the deal. When poo poo like this happens, I'm supposed to treat it like a :airquote: teachable moment :airquote: and I'm supposed to make you guys clean it up and you'll learn a thing or two about ritual purification and not getting into stuff you can't handle. But! Melchio's not here! And it's been ten years since she wasn't around to make me walk into the deep desert for a smoke because she doesn't 'appreciate' it in the oasis. So now we're gonna do things my way!"

He snaps his fingers and all the grease and filth in the library instantly dries and crumbles to dust. As well as Shelly and Mack's armor, or at least most of it. A few metal bits and scales plink harmlessly to the floor. Cecily's gun also partly crumbles, but the delicate lenses and mechanisms shatter when they hit the tiles. Everything Tiny had on him that wasn't made from the ancient era materials becomes dust. Mack's picks and chains also completely disintegrate.

Releth sweeps his arm and all the dust is blown away harmlessly.

"I don't care anymore! Stay! Leave! I don't care what you guys do at all, loot the place, whatever! Just don't do anything that's gonna piss the old lunatic off, goddamn! It's like, haven't you heard about beings from the Outside? I'd say read a drat book, but you guys'd end up cracking open The Book of the Damned! First day off in a decade and I gotta deal with this bullshit."

And with that he spins around and heads to the cellars.

naem
May 29, 2011

:stare:

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Time to read this book. Instead of evil I have become ancient evil.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>>Mack watches helplessly as his entire life's work thus far is reduced to dust, he feels both anger and devastation in response. It takes all the self control he has to resist the urge to deliver a lethal force kick to Releth's groin. But what's the point? He's already lost everything he has to lose and there is no getting it back. He tries to maintain some air of stoicism but there's a sense that the half dwarf feels thoroughly defeated by this turn of events.

>>It's not just the weapons and armor, he's lost his only connections to his past as well as seemingly all chances of being an adventurer going forwards since there isn't a high premium on fighters without weapons, armor or even the means to acquire more. After a long moment of trying to find the right words the big guy just sadly moves on out of the library to gather up the groups animals and make ready to leave.

Stoner Sloth fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Nov 28, 2019

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

>> Shelly blinks, dumbfounded. Slightly embarrased, she grabs at whatever cloth-like material is closest; a table cloth, a curtain, a goddamn tapestry - anything to cover herself up.

>> Embarrassment turns to frustration as she spits out a Merrow-fueled curse, "draoi truflais dúr! póg mo thóin, itheann do mháthair gabhair!!" she sneers and tries to calm herself with breathing exercises, her gills flaring.

>> Opening her eyes, she attempts to survey their losses. Cecily's tinker gun, her and Mack's armor, and Mack's picks (gently caress he's gonna be devastated). Shelly got off lightly, all things considered.

>> "Alright gang, he went downstairs so I'ma head upstairs. The Wizard lady probably has some clothes I can borrow in her bedroom. How can a fuckin' stone wizard tower in a goddamn desert be this drafty, ugh, I feel like our old dragoness crewmate."

clockwork chaos fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Nov 28, 2019

burial
Sep 13, 2002

>>Cecily wordlessly offers her hooded cloak to Shelly with a bitten lip.

>>”gently caress,” she says, calmly almost, even though it’s pretty clear she’s upset for all involved.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

"Wow, uhhh..."

I search my drunken old man brain for the words to say "Sorry that I caused everyone's armor to be completely destroyed by opening a book" but can't find a way to say it that seems genuine.

"Hmm."

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
>>'It's fine! I never had any armor to begin with!'

>>Lutos wins again! Sure we made this lady mad but we make everyone mad. Literally only the people we get hired by seem to ever like us!

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>>It doesn't take Mack all that long to reconsider things... maybe 40 paces? Sure things look bad but Lutos lost more than just weapons and armor so who the hell is he to complain? Okay so his beloved armor that he's spent months crafting, and worse, the hammerpicks he's had all along are gone. Time to start again from scratch.

>>Noticing the distinct lack of the rest of the group following him, the big guy decides to let the animals be for now since the rest of the group doesn't seem ready to leave quite yet. Instead he fetches his old hat from the wagon, shaking the dust off it before placing it firmly on his king size melon.

>>After that he wanders off, deciding to take Releth at his word - the apprentice is in charge for now here and has given the group permission to loot anything that Melchio probably won't notice. So he starts with the vain hope of somehow replacing his weapons and armor and, failing that, grabbing anything that looks expensive enough to maybe afford him the chance to buy or make new ones.

e:>>Also to clarify Mack doesn't seem to bare Wyzzord any ill will at all - it's not like he could have predicted this particular outcome and what are adventurers but folks who decide to take crazy chances?

Stoner Sloth fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Nov 28, 2019

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

burial posted:

>>Cecily wordlessly offers her hooded cloak to Shelly with a bitten lip.

>>”gently caress,” she says, calmly almost, even though it’s pretty clear she’s upset for all involved.

>> Shelly gently takes the cloak with one hand and hides her modesty with it. "poo poo girl, none of us could've known these consequences were even within the realm of possibility, don't beat yourself up over it. That goes for you too, Wyzzboy - all we can do is pick up the pieces."

>> "You guys do whatever, try to stay out of trouble. I'ma check the wizardess' closet, take a bath, then pass out in her bed. If you need me, please knock."

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

As soon as Tiny's beer hat vanishes, he shouts, "My beer!" And runs off to find something to drink.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I go search the grounds for things I might be able to transmute into things resembling armor, or at least some comfortable and fashionable sweaters for the crew.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

>>”I dunno what I’m gonna do,” Cecily says. She’s sort of forlornly gathering up the remnants of her weapon.

>>”Find somewhere else good to sleep probably.” The girl barely takes note of the squirrel on her shoulder or the re-tendriling beads. “Unless you don’t mind sharin’?”

burial fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 28, 2019

naem
May 29, 2011

“It’s jes’ you an me now crossboo, hae teh protect the whole group”

I pat my crossboo crossboo-ly

naem fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Nov 29, 2019

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

burial posted:

>>”I dunno what I’m gonna do,” Cecily says. She’s sort of forlornly gathering up the remnants of her weapon.

>>”Find somewhere else good to sleep probably.” The girl barely takes note of the squirrel on her shoulder or the re-tendriling beads. “Unless you don’t mind sharin’?”

>> Shelly motions for Cecily to follow, "Yeah, gotta give back this cloak once I get a new outfit. Need your help picking out stuff gurl"

burial
Sep 13, 2002

>>”I’m very fashionable,” Cecily replies, seemingly happy to follow along.

>>”This can only go well.”

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Ardlen posted:

As soon as Tiny's beer hat vanishes, he shouts, "My beer!" And runs off to find something to drink.

You follow Releth into the cellars

he opens a valuable bottle of rare booze without wasting any time and hands it off to you. "Try this."

---------------

The rest of you guys combined find $530 of random wizard stuff and clothes that isn't really particularly powerfully enchanted. Most of the tower is blocked off by a sheer vertical ascent filled with miniature tempests. If you really wanna get through you might be able to, but it's going to be pretty likely that any messing around with the crap up there is going to be noticed.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

>>Mack gathers up what he can, hoping it'll be enough to afford some kind of weapon at least when the group reaches town. He's not really keen to try his luck scaling vertical ascents in whirlwinds or whatever, especially if it's like to piss off the ultra mage. At something of a loose end he shrugs and heads down to join Tiny and Releth in the cellar - maybe he can at least drown his sorrows.

Stoner Sloth fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 29, 2019

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
I'm absolutely loving how Beet Wagon got back just in time to cause the harshest consequences so far.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Tiny will start drinking the rare booze he's offered. "I went to the Bad Place today!"

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Yvershek posted:

I'm absolutely loving how Beet Wagon got back just in time to cause the harshest consequences so far.

(I feel so loving bad lol. I know everybody had moments of pure idiocy at some point but I thought the worst that would happen was I would die and be ghost pals with Lutos)

I opt not to try and delve deeper into the tower because uh... that seems like a really bad idea. I'm gonna retire outside while the crew splits up the loot and maybe I'll try and grow us some new weapons.

naem
May 29, 2011

(what is our goal here at this wizard tower anyways lol. anything we need to accomplish having made the trek? are we getting a wizard quest?)

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
>>'We came here because it said ultra on the map! I mean come on! We had to see how cool that was! And now we're sleeping at a wizard's oasis!'

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Stoner Sloth posted:

>>Mack gathers up what he can, hoping it'll be enough to afford some kind of weapon at least when the group reaches town. He's not really keen to try his luck scaling vertical ascents in whirlwinds or whatever, especially if it's like to piss off the ultra mage. At something of a loose end he shrugs and heads down to join Tiny and Releth in the cellar - maybe he can at least drown his sorrows.

Ardlen posted:

Tiny will start drinking the rare booze he's offered. "I went to the Bad Place today!"

You proceed to get strunted off magical liquor.

"Which bad place? There's like 83."

Beet Wagon posted:

(I feel so loving bad lol. I know everybody had moments of pure idiocy at some point but I thought the worst that would happen was I would die and be ghost pals with Lutos)

I opt not to try and delve deeper into the tower because uh... that seems like a really bad idea. I'm gonna retire outside while the crew splits up the loot and maybe I'll try and grow us some new weapons.

Rolling rootomancy... 21
You're able to prepare a number of serviceable root-based armors and weapons that will work fine, although they're not particularly magical or anything.

Basically everything that was lost you now have the root version of

naem posted:

(what is our goal here at this wizard tower anyways lol. anything we need to accomplish having made the trek? are we getting a wizard quest?)

She said go to the other wizard and tell him what you told her, but is not offering any rewards and the dust adept is considering himself on a serious vacation

reignofevil posted:

>>'We came here because it said ultra on the map! I mean come on! We had to see how cool that was! And now we're sleeping at a wizard's oasis!'

Yeah that's about it

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

SniperWoreConverse posted:

You proceed to get strunted off magical liquor.

"Which bad place? There's like 83."
Tiny will proceed to drunkenly describe the creepy howling monster and the heat and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

Ardlen posted:

Tiny will proceed to drunkenly describe the creepy howling monster and the heat and everything.

“Tha’ soounds terrible noooooo!” I say, taking a swig