Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Encrypted posted:

Yeah SC2000 had a depressing
feel to it with the urban sprawl looking tiles and scary almost mourningful music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI8qeMYWD7o
sim city snes was composed by the black pearl software intern i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Ad by Khad posted:

streets of simcity is pretty far from "long forgotten", they even brought it back in sc4

WAIT WHAT??

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
2013 might have been an absolute shitpile with their online only mode at launch (i know it was later patched out, nerd) but the soundtrack was on point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GCoc893Vt8

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Ad by Khad posted:

streets of simcity is pretty far from "long forgotten", they even brought it back in sc4

What? Do you mean the in-game "missions" that SC4 Rush Hour added? It's not really the same thing.

Also best soundtrack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jV4MrBqCTY0&t=686s

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

I was too young and stupid to figure out how to play simcity 2000. Mostly I just loaded the pre-made cities and destroyed them with natural disasters and fire. Any time I tried to build my own city the population would just sit at zero and I could never figure out why.

These days I spend hundreds of hours playing cities:skylines, because it's fuckin awesome.
My current city is so large and heavily modded that my computer struggles to run it. Think its over 30 tiles now and it has sick rear end train lines.
However I have so many ports and shipping needs due to my heavy road traffic restrictions so the ships are kind of backing up but it doesn't really effect the run of the city. It still grows like a horrible tumour on the land.
I have to zoom out so far to get the entire city that it's hard to even get an understanding of the scale.

I tried Cities Skylines but couldn't get into it. Do you have any tips to get something rolling fast so it's more engaging?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Negrostrike posted:

I like SimCity 2000 a lot and I still love how it looks. I think it aged very gracefully but drat its soundtrack is very mediocre. 3000 and 4 are way superior in that department.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV5HC6Hw0qQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I86TfGM2OIA

Hell yeah this track right here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSv37HwwojU&t=11380s

What a magical nostalgic time for both Sim City 3000 and Sim City 4.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Jose posted:

You hosed a GameCube and filmed it for the forums though

I didn't, it's weird you keep thinking it's me.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

I was too young and stupid to figure out how to play simcity 2000. Mostly I just loaded the pre-made cities and destroyed them with natural disasters and fire. Any time I tried to build my own city the population would just sit at zero and I could never figure out why.

These days I spend hundreds of hours playing cities:skylines, because it's fuckin awesome.
My current city is so large and heavily modded that my computer struggles to run it. Think its over 30 tiles now and it has sick rear end train lines.
However I have so many ports and shipping needs due to my heavy road traffic restrictions so the ships are kind of backing up but it doesn't really effect the run of the city. It still grows like a horrible tumour on the land.
I have to zoom out so far to get the entire city that it's hard to even get an understanding of the scale.

How long did this take?

nextlevelstart
Feb 26, 2015

Slam Pajamas
May 21, 2007
ALL TEXT TITLE ALL-STARS
Somebody's been handing out blank pieces of paper.

This poster is praying to Ralph in the garden.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

Clapping Larry
What?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I spent thousands of hours of my teenage years playing SC2K. It's the old game I go back to the most. It has some of the best music.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

You could shoot down traffic choppers with the mouse

If you put the high density commercial district too close to the airport jets would hit buildings and start huge fires

On the scenario of Flint, Michigan where you have to deal with an unemployment riot. A viable solution is to lower the terrain below sea level and drown the protesters.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
You know what actually sucked though was SimTower. Ugly, stupid, annoying, all the bad stuff. I played so many hours of it and I wish I could get my time back.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Hyrax Attack! posted:

On the scenario of Flint, Michigan where you have to deal with an unemployment riot. A viable solution is to lower the terrain below sea level and drown the protesters.
solving the problem of flint with water... :hmmyes:

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Fabulousity posted:

SC2k's long forgotten companion piece that was so bad it was good:

I'm just a splatter, splatter, splatter on the windshield of life!

this guy gets it.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

You know what actually sucked though was SimTower. Ugly, stupid, annoying, all the bad stuff. I played so many hours of it and I wish I could get my time back.

It rewarded weird behavior, like digging unnecessary parking in hopes of finding buried treasure. And if you built condos you had to instantly raise the price or they’d sell too fast.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

It rewarded weird behavior, like digging unnecessary parking in hopes of finding buried treasure. And if you built condos you had to instantly raise the price or they’d sell too fast.

Just so much crushing, grinding busywork. Setting rents and rates and prices for dozens of hotel office and condo units. Setting the resting floors for your elevator cars. And you could make choices early on about your building that could make your later building so hard to deal with. Which is absolutely just like buildings in real life but still annoying.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Oh my sweet Jesus I've stumbled upon nerds who are into my poo poo.

Somebody who knows, tell me your thoughts on Transport tycoon vs Transport fever. I need a rambling 3 page diatribe of your opinions.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Anyone else have SimIsle? Weird game where you were supposed to promote environmentalism on Caribbean islands, with a baffling interface that made simple construction convoluted. The presentation was kid friendly, but there was a mission to stop drug farms where your friendly agents could be mailed back to you in tiny boxes.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

SimTower was excellent. Maybe you are the one who is ugly, stupid, annoying, all of the bad stuff

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Anyone else have SimIsle? Weird game where you were supposed to promote environmentalism on Caribbean islands, with a baffling interface that made simple construction convoluted. The presentation was kid friendly, but there was a mission to stop drug farms where your friendly agents could be mailed back to you in tiny boxes.

SimIsle was too arcane for 7 year old non-English-speaking me.

There was also SimHealth, which is still to arcane for me. First time I ran it I was expecting a Theme Hospital of sorts, not political healthcare mambojambo.

That being said, I loved the hell out of SimEarth and SimGolf. Also had some fun with SimFarm, SimAnt and SimTown (gently caress plopping those tiny grass tiles though).

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I never could figure out how the gently caress to play that game as a kid. I do remember liking the soundtrack though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MrAcwVYJcA

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I spent way too much of my youth on SC2K, Sim Ant and Sim Tower, then I spent too much of my adult life on SC4, which to this day I still think is the best city simulator. I also let the Sims 2 take over for my life for a year or 2, pretty sure that might have made even more socially weird. I bought the base game and like 2 expansions for the Sims 3 before realizing it was just a cash grab rehashing all the same old expansions. M two worst Sims purchases were Societies and Sim City 2013.

Skylines just doesn't do it for me, mainly because it's not as good at hiding population issues as well as Sim City. Like a 10 story skyscraper with 4 balconies on one side in Skylines claims it holds 7 families, but in SC4 it would claim to hold maybe 40 or 50 families. Sim City kinda fudges the numbers and doesn't simulate everyone and Skylines doesn't fudge the numbers, unless they have patched it since the last time I played.

I think I owned SimIsle, but I sure as hell couldn't figure out how to play it when I was little. It looks interesting, I think it looks similar to another game I played, Industry Giant.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

tetsuo posted:

2013 might have been an absolute shitpile with their online only mode at launch (i know it was later patched out, nerd) but the soundtrack was on point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GCoc893Vt8

The only accusation you can level at this soundtrack is that it should’ve been on a better game. All time great OST

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

revmoo posted:

Cities Skylines is a super fun game but it loses its luster really fast once you realize how it scales difficulty and how to play around it. Also the progression ends pretty early on and it's just urban sprawl. Somebody should mod it to be better.

CS was cool when it came out in that "oh neat somebody actually made a not-terrible city builder for the first time in a million years" and you would have thought its success would spur some revival of the genre but fast forward a few years and nope.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Braun Llama Dome

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
Replaying SC2K and I don't remember the music being so melancholy before.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Devils Affricate posted:

SimTower was excellent. Maybe you are the one who is ugly, stupid, annoying, all of the bad stuff

I LOVE SimTower and its sequel, Yoot Tower even more.

The Steam Simtower reboot is ok too sometimes but failed to capture the pure delight of Simtower's pixel art.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
The condo thing was tedious tho yeah.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
As a little kid, Sim City 2000 taught me what a debt spiral was and I was afraid of loans from there on in. I would borrow the max thinking it was free money but never could make enough to pay it back. At least I didn't wait until I got a real credit card to learn this.

And then when Rollercoaster Tycoon came out I was afraid to take the loan even though revenue was plentiful and the interest rate was very low, but I was 10 and I still thought debt was sucker bait and the initial loan had to be paid off ASAP.

Account McAccount
Mar 30, 2012

You got the theme song stuck in my head thanks OP

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

skooma512 posted:

As a little kid, Sim City 2000 taught me what a debt spiral was and I was afraid of loans from there on in. I would borrow the max thinking it was free money but never could make enough to pay it back. At least I didn't wait until I got a real credit card to learn this.

Y'know, me too, now that I think about it.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

As of this year you're allowed to wear your simcity 3000 shirt in public ironically now.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Evilreaver posted:

When my brother was in grade school, a teacher asked him what he wanted to do when he grew up. "Design arcologies" he said. The teacher laughed at him and told him those aren't real, and that day he swore a blood oath to make that dream come true.

Now he's some big shot architect for some firm in New York City.

So, at there's at least one guy working on it!

I discussed the same idea in my senior year of high school (2006) and everyone thought I was a loving idiot now we're talking about how he can build up instead of out so I guess LilPeeler did get the last laugh

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

I was too dumb for any SimCity but I played the poo poo out of SimTown and SimPark.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
So is SimCity 4 worth buying for $20?

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Joe Chill posted:

Replaying SC2K and I don't remember the music being so melancholy before.

I was 8 and new to games so I thought the music became sad when my citizens were upset, and needed more parks.

The manual said in the event of an plane crash to fire the air traffic controllers. I would crash planes then carefully check every airport building and city ordinance to find how to fire those controllers. Whoever wrote the manual presumed too much about kids knowing Reagan era policies.

I would build expensive desalination plants next to fresh water lakes, to be on the safe side.

Slam Pajamas
May 21, 2007
ALL TEXT TITLE ALL-STARS

Hyrax Attack! posted:

That sounds awesome as heck.

Every few years I want to read the madlib-yet-informative newspaper articles and get surprised that nobodies uploaded a newspaper generator like they did for HP Lovecraft stories.
I'm also surprised nobodys put together a simcopterish game on Unity in the vein of all those slenderman games, this is the closest thing I could find and its, well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r2HFpwz7ws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
This jogged my memory that at one point as a kid, I'd put huge effort into a SC2K map, all working well, and I found some way (dunno if built into the game or third party thing) to print your city out on multiple pieces of paper to make a big map of it.

Possibly it was 3K, not totally sure.

But like grade 6 or something, I had this rad 4x4 pieces of paper taped together big print out of my city on my bedroom wall.