Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I forgot about this coming out until today. Surprise! I'm going to catch up on the last few episodes of the first half of season 5 before diving into the second half. I remember really liking the first half of this season. Much more than season 4. Started with 'Sinking Feelings' and I am already back in. Starting off the episode with George Michael trying to talk tough to the limo driver and then continuing directly into the Gilbert Godfried shoehorn on a stick infomercial had me laughing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

The second half of season five was very iffy. The writers really ended up making the plot lines completely over the top ridiculous.....even for a show whose premise is taking a very oddball family and putting them in very precarious situations.

Still....I was entertained. Everyone played their parts like the show never ended. Iffy for AD is still pretty much top rung when considering most other TV shows. But I have to think that the way that the show ended this "season".....they must be thinking this might be the end.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I really loved the finale episode but dang a lil dark at the end there.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
season 5 stank, hth op

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I keep wanting to finish season 4, getting halfway and just dropping it. Both the old style and the new.
It doesn't help that season 5 has such absolute dogshit reviews. AD is dead, let it rest.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Escobarbarian posted:

season 5 stank, hth op

?

I watched it in it's entirety. Don't regret it. Hth.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
The first half of season 5 was painfully unfunny to me and a total slog to get through. The only funny stuff was Maeby being an old lady imo. I've watched the second half up to the very last episode and so far the only other funny thing was them having another flashback series using entirely different actors and it being a joke or whatever. I dunno even that was pretty weak. All the stuff I'm finding funny they're ditching, or they're resolving stuff in incredibly obvious groan worthy ways Tobias' son being a secret computer wiz is what killed my ambition to watch the last episode.

I liked season 4 a lot and thought it was clever how they had the story so fragmented and how it all tied together and on rewatch a whole lot of scenes were in a different light and also the drat jokes are good. This show was previously endlessly quotable with any of my friends who watched it, and while every other season including 4 added I don't think season 5 is bringing it. "Hurt people hurt people" and "pick a lane" are about it and those are worth a strong chuckle at best.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Tristesse posted:

All the stuff I'm finding funny they're ditching, or they're resolving stuff in incredibly obvious groan worthy ways Tobias' son being a secret computer wiz is what killed my ambition to watch the last episode.

S5 is not very good but there's a payoff for that in the last episode. He is not.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I found 5a to be pretty chuckle worthy in places, but 5b is just leaving me completely flat. It’s just a series of events and jokes that are almost clever, but haven’t been really refined yet. It feels like they filmed a bunch of hastily written first draft scripts, and that makes me sad.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
They should really stop tarnishing the legacy of the original 3 seasons with this sad stuff.

Anybody have a link to the old original threads from waaay back in the day?

Funking Giblet
Jun 28, 2004

Jiglightful!
This is the worst bump since Carl Weathers injured himself on Happy Gilmore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr2PlqXw03Y

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
I would have forgotten these existed without this bump.
The first season are burned into my memory, with jokes I could still recite to this day.

I barely remember anything about the returning seasons. They were so meh that they made no impression.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Marenghi posted:

I would have forgotten these existed without this bump.
The first season are burned into my memory, with jokes I could still recite to this day.

I barely remember anything about the returning seasons. They were so meh that they made no impression.

Fourth season has some all time bits with GOB’s wedding, the Fantastic 4 musical, and the To Catch a Predator segment. A lower average than the first three, but the high points are still as high.

Fifth season, though… yikes.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

Fourth season has some all time bits with GOB’s wedding, the Fantastic 4 musical, and the To Catch a Predator segment. A lower average than the first three, but the high points are still as high.

Fifth season, though… yikes.

The To Catch a Predator is without a doubt one of their best bits of all time.

'Is there a little girl in the house? Daddy needs to get his rocks off'

It was interesting to watch the remake of the season just because it helps with some of the *really* niche jokes that are hard to catch on first glance.

I literally cannot remember a thing about season 5 other than the dark ending.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Caros posted:

I literally cannot remember a thing about season 5 other than the dark ending.

Only things I remember about the fifth season:

They made a joke about Trump stealing the Mexico wall idea from the Bluths in season 4. I think this is the only actual laugh I made from season 5.

There was a storyline with just Tobias and Lucille alone at a beach house for some reason.

Tobias had a maybe fake son?

Frances Conroy showed up for a few episodes but didn’t do anything.

GOB was a construction worker, maybe?

Honestly don’t remember anything else, including any storyline or finales.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I never watched the second half of season 5 because I didn't realize there was one, I had no idea the first "half" was supposed to be a part 1, just that it had wrapped up on a cliffhanger. Then like a year or 2 later I recall people talking about the second half of season 5 and being completely confused, but at that point enough time had passed that I just couldn't build up the interest to bother chasing it down. Mid-season breaks are so loving stupid.

A sad state given how incredible the first 3 seasons were. Though as noted, the To Catch a Predator bit in Season 4 was great. "There's a racoon on the deck!" "BULLSHIT! :haw:"

I did like that George Michael's whole tech genius reputation was complete smoke and mirrors and even his supposed big company party was actually a misunderstanding over the only people who could live in Michael's development community were registered sex offenders since he'd built it so far away from... well... anything.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I posted in this thread four years ago and I have no idea what I was referring to

Well bye

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I love how it wasn't even interesting enough to talk about for more than a page:allears:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I tried to read a summary of the season on Wikipedia and my eyes just kind of glazed over. But I did remember that one of the twists at the end was that Lindsey was actually Lucille's sister, which I remembered thinking was a funny twist. So I guess there were two jokes in season 5 I liked.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tryna think of what I remember about s5:

- they gave themselves a family of the year award

- there’s a bit where George Sr and Gob pretend to be going on a boy’s hetero sex trip because they’re hiding that they’re both gay

- there’s an extended Keystone Cops riff which even for this show’s obsession with obscure/old things and its own insular storytelling felt like a little much

That’s it. And all of that stuff is from the first half I’m pretty sure. I don’t remember a single loving thing about the second half except how it ended

s4 is great though sorry haters

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Boxturret posted:

I love how it wasn't even interesting enough to talk about for more than a page:allears:

I think series 4 was so bad it just killed any interest. I absolutely loved 1-3, I signed up to Netflix only so I could watch 4 even.
Yet I never ever touched 5. I did go back and watch 4 when they re-did the order but I don't think it works that way at all, it feels strange to watch through. Stilted and weird.

That said although series 3 has one or two of my favourite moments I still can't quite square with the Mr F stuff.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

4 was teetering on the edge of good and bad. But Fateful Consequences and 5 retroactively made it better imo.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

S4 was weirdly made and paced but it had a lot of moments. I think Tobias walking into the To Catch A Predator house thinking Maeby was there while wearing his The Thing costume and saying "Is there a little girl around? Daddy needs to get his rocks off!" is an all-timer.

The first half of season 5 was not great but I did feel like the show concluded really well. Probably should have been left to the original run but I do appreciate what they tried with the original cut of S4, it was a very ambitious way to work around limitations and there is a lot of gold in there.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

also RIP Carl Weathers

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I never finished season 4 and I think it was a mistake to even try to do it without making sure they could get all the cast together. The fact that the actors were all off doing their own individualized storylines and barely interacting with each other was very obvious as a viewer.

Anyway. RIP to Carl Weathers and belated RIP to the extraordinarily talented and missed Jessica Walter.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

if they'd been able to write it as the actual show it was with the full cast, s4 at least probably would have been a decent follow up. they still had jokes and some of them are classic AD stuff. it's just a lot of the standalone stories were crappy and some of the characters just aren't as funny as others, and the family dynamics are a big part of the humour. so they did their best with what they had and made something that had some standout moments/episodes but was mostly whatever and sometimes dire.

s5 i remember thinking was actually respectable but i don't remember why. except that i thought maeby was the MVP of that season, both parts. her old folks home scheme and convos with george michael. otherwise yeah i suppose it was forgettable - although the bad atmosphere about tambor which came out at the time probably made me memory hole it too quickly for it to get lodged in there.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I loved season 4. Season 5 honestly just made me depressed.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Season 4 had its moments but overall was a letdown. I tried revisiting with the chronological order version and noped out halfway thru the first episode. Sometimes dead is bettah.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I can understand how people would dislike season 4, I just disagree. Lumping in 4 with 5 though is wild. Season 5 was like Arrested Development executive produced by season 20-30 era Al Jean.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Wasn't there a similar gap between 3 and 4 and 4 and 5? It seemed to take forever to come out.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Boxturret posted:

Wasn't there a similar gap between 3 and 4 and 4 and 5? It seemed to take forever to come out.

Seven between 3 and 4 and five between 4 and 5.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Nichael posted:

I loved season 4. Season 5 honestly just made me depressed.

I didn’t love 4 but it had some great moments. the recurring Sound of Silence bit is as good as anything they ever did. But other stuff was less successful, I thought the forced drama between Michael and George Michael was dumb. In general they were too heavy on plot and too light on jokes, but the jokes they landed were great.

S5 was just bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Seasons 1-3 are classic. Season 4 I personally love. Season 5 I have tried to watch twice and never actually finished.

I did like the gag that they had a beach house the whole time and just kept it a secret from Michael that they never sold it, but considering how loose lipped everyone is in 5 it doesn't track that no one had said anything about it before either. Pick a lane.