Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Everyone in the crypts is dead. So Tyrion, Sam, Gilly. Who else is down there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Writers had them all say how safe the crypts were over and over so they all dead.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

JT Jag posted:

this "the Night King will raise the dead in the crypt" theory is dumb because all those corpses are loving dust at this point, and it's gonna make me mad when it's right

It’s too stupid not to be right

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

precision posted:

Gendry and Arya ending up together was telegraphed to hell but I really did not expect an actual sex scene, especially one prefaced by Arya making sure he hasn't slept around too much as if she's making sure she doesn't get chlamydia

I couldn’t tell if it was that or if she was making sure this dick was gonna be good. It was weird.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

TyrantWD posted:

It’s the only thing that works given that the show ends in 4 episodes. I’d rather get something plain and boring that makes sense given the constraints than suddenly trying to squeeze in a whole bunch of complicated Night King backstory and motivation.

Well they could have had more episodes to do that if they wanted.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

What the backstory with the Night King? Weapon made by the elf things that they lost control over?

I thought there was some aspect of dueling gods on this thing but that never seemed to get fleshed out.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I just realized Arya lost it before Sansa

Wasn’t she raped?

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

AnEdgelord posted:

In the books its clear that the mythical elements are all some great contest between The Lord of Light and some nameless god of darkness and ice. The other gods and mythical elements of the story all end up lining up with one side or another or are one of the gods is a different aspect, or is The Drowned God and is probably hella fake. Theres a lot more time spent on the prophecy of "The Prince who was promised" as well as other cultural variants of that prophecy in the book that just never happens in the show.

The Seven gods of the Kingdoms have a lot of rainbow motifs in their symbolism that never shows up in the show but is clearly implying that The Seven either are or are servants of The Lord of Light (light through a prism forms a rainbow). Which of course just makes the story even more about god of light v god of dark.

Of course absolutely none of this is in the show but nothing in the show directly contradicts this either so :shrug:

They still bring stuff up that could only be known if you read the books.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Pod survives because they need a character to sleep with Sansa in two episodes.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Professor Funk posted:

jon is going to not pursue his claim and let her have the throne and then she will get the Targaryen brain worms and try to murder everyone

Hhhmmm feels like they don’t have enough time left to really do this.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Xanderkish posted:

What is the option for "None of the above" and/or "Oh god please stop putting sex scenes on my prestige television I just want to watch people brood about their emotions no more boobs please."

What are you gonna do? People like titties.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

hayden. posted:

I was sort of distracted during the scene where Sam gives Jorah his sword. Why did he do that? Doesn't Sam want his family's sword?

Probably operating on they all gonna die so this may help. Also he said he did it because Jorah’s brother (nights watch commander) taught him to be a good man.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Night King split his army and is about to take out an ill prepared Kings Landing.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

It does seem significant that they didn't show the NK at the end of the last episode. He def not at Winterfell.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The North is loving huge. If the Night King's army doesn't have access to the plot teleporter it would take them like a month.

Gonna happen no matter what unless the rest of the story happens in the north for the rest of the show.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Feels like we are gonna get defeat he night king then defeat Cersei and Jon and Dan rule happy ever after. But Dany going full Aerys after hearing what Jon said and her being the big bad would probably be better ending.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Crow Jane posted:

I think it's supposed to be roughly the size of South America.

Is it supposed to be that big? I assumed it was the size of the UK.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

It has polar and subtropical regions at its geographic extremes. It’s a continent.

Yeah but it’s got weird climate compared to earth. With seasons being super long or short as poo poo. Just figured that was part of it.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I like to imagine GRRM having sex

Put your finger in my moon hole! Watch me fly!

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

zenguitarman posted:

I know deaths in this season heavily speculated, but did FYAD just spoil GoT again? Have there been any leaks?

Think it’s just them screwing with people. No leaks that seem legitimate that I know of.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Mindblast posted:

So are the rules on rising the dead known at this point? Is it enough to just die in the north? Does the skellington king have to be within a certain mile radius to auto-rez all the fossils? What with them namedropping dat crypt so loving often it would be weird if they didn't make dead SkeleStarks pop up to nibble on people.

So far looks like the bodies need to be within 100-200 yards of NK and he raises arms up.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Was there ever any significance to the dire wolfs other than would be cool if all the kids got there own wolf?

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Gregor Clegane is GRRM insert.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

tino posted:

I am still salty that they didn't spend any time on the White Walkers in E4, not even a proper explanation from Bran. Why even keep Bran alive? Just let him and the NK die together like it was supposed to be Bran's plan all along and it would make E3 a lot better. Melisandre had the good sense to go away with the rest of the supernatural elements.

loving D & D.

Kind of thought Brans warging would at least be explained. But nah he was just flying around like a bird for no reason.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Phenotype posted:

As far as I'm concerned the title for this episode was The Character Assassination of Bronn by the Hacks D&D. That whole scene, me and my buddy were just looking at eachother openmouthed saying "Really??" It wasn't even just the idiocy of him coming in, making threats, and then just leaving. They basically used that scene to rewrite the last 7 seasons of Bronn and Jaime/Bronn and Tyrion buddy adventures. Turns out Bronn wasn't making friends with them and having a good time, he hated them all along, those lovely little lions with daddy's gold. And he's also dumb enough to think it's a good idea to throw in with their sister instead, after he's watched her doublecross everyone in King's Landing over the last few years. Really great way to retroactively sabotage a fan favorite.

Like, I never in a million years expected to see that play out straight, for a good few minutes I was waiting for him to set the crossbow aside like it was a joke, even after he punched Tyrion. I could definitely see him trying to extort them for Highgarden, but like, as friends, with Tyrion's standing offer to outbid anyone who wants Bronn to doublecross him. I thought it would be a fun little sitdown, "Cersei sent me to kill you two, but lord knows she'd never keep her word. Beat her price and I'll help you kill her right back."

His plan also doesn’t make sense. Like yeah Cersei could probably give him River Run if she wins. But Tyrion has no power to give Bronn Highgarden. Why would Jon/Dany give him I assume the most valuable available castle in Westeros?

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm calling it right now that this all leads up to Tyrion nearly getting killed and Bronn shows up and crossbows someone out of nowhere to save Tyrion's life, and then its like

"I thought you didn't care!"

"I can't let you die before I get paid!"

Yeah its pretty awkward writing. There's really no reason at all Bronn shouldn't have just taken Cersei's money and gotten on a boat to way the gently caress away from here.

:lol:

Yeah I was thinking they were going to setup a “Han Solo shows up at the Death Star” type situation for Bronn.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah I called out both of these things earlier in the thread. I GUESS we're supposed to assume Cersei sent a raven going "nyah nyah got your missandei!" but wow. And then Cersei kills her hostage before getting anything in return... and now she has no hostage. So Missandei may as well have just been killed at sea.

Except I guess Cersei just really wanted to stick it to Daenerys that bad :v: (And somehow knew Missandei was important to her? IDK happy coincidence I guess)

I assume Cersei’s goal is to provoke Dany into killing a poo poo load of civilians. Why that is her goal Idk

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Prediction: Bran going to kill Euron by warging a shitload of birds into him.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

BonoMan posted:

They could have taken out the last dragon right there. He was chilling on the ground and if they would have just fire the arrows there's no way he could've taken off in time. I was really surprised that didn't happen.

They could have just killed Dany right there. She had all her forces within range of the scorpions.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

BonoMan posted:

I genuinely *like* watching Game of Thrones AND I also like watching some of those critique videos (although I've never seen anything by the Cinema Sins folks) if only because they scratch a sort of pulpy cathartic complainer itch but nothing else.

Cinema Sins main problem is that they feel the need to have a high count of screwups so it’s get super nitpicky real quick.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

BonoMan posted:

I'm still stinging that Frank Darabont was fired from TWD.

I never made it through second season of that show. First season was cool then second season was a bunch of people sitting on a farm and crying.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Xanderkish posted:

I think Cinema Sin's problem is like a lot of the internet content factory, where it stakes its reputation on having a particular point of view or way of critique and has to stay afloat by constantly producing content about whatever is topical viewed exclusively through that lens, meaning you have to make a lot of stuff that is disingenuous, stereotypical fluff because it's faster and easier than more thoughtful, nuanced takes that don't attract as big an audience.

Someone did a video at some point discussing how, for example, the CS people made their videos longer as it turned out that longer videos could be more profitable. Longer videos mean you're more likely to, as you said, scrap the bottom of the barrel for critiques.

Lol I just watched the Cinema Sins on the game of thrones pilot. Haven't seen his stuff in years. Its so bad. The counter is just the marker for when the punchlines come on his really lovely jokes and not actual screw ups.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

I said come in! posted:

This isn't even the worst thing to happen! :v: God that show was so bad.

That show is still going.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Undead Hippo posted:

I loved the bit when half of Daenerys's army was ambushed at sea, one dragon was killed and the other driven away by ballista. Her remaining forces were battered and her fleet sunk. The handful of broken survivors washed up on a beach without supplies and in no fit condition for battle. They really upped the stakes!

I paused the episode there. I'm sure the next few scenes are going to deal with the Ironborn fleet pressing their advantage and attacking the forces on the beach. Are Tyrion, Varys and the Unsullied remnants going to be captured? If not, how will they survive in the middle of hostile territory with no supplies? Will they need to cut a deal with a local lord to keep them safe? Is their diminished force going to need to struggle to link back up with the Northern forces?

Oh wait- I unpaused it and in the next scene everyone is just standing battle ready outside Kings landing with no explanation.

Writers needed a reason for Dany to snap so they need Missandei to get executed. How to solve the problem of getting her into the hands of Cersei was how the rest of that came about.

Also really lovely of the writers. I would probably at least given Grey Worm a win but starting to look like these dudes would have been better off left as slaves. Their life now has been constant warring to the point most of them are dead now.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Did they explain why Jon and Dany split their forces? Why not just stay together and march down?

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Kind of wonder what the reaction will be if they have Dany go crazy since she has been used as an icon for a powerful woman for years now.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

In the last season, Deb finds out about Dexter killing people and doesn't turn him in. Then she decides she's in love with him.

Ahead of its time.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

PostNouveau posted:

lol I remember that one season where the killer is a tree trimmer and Dexter disappears and Deb can't find him in his apartment and she comes outside and notices *gasp* the trees have been trimmed! Cut to credits to be continued

Lol this is actually making me want to watch it now.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Gianthogweed posted:

Star Wars may actually be a better fit for them. Simpler story with fewer characters. More straight forward good guys vs bad guys plot. Much faster pace. And expectations are already in the toilet for Star Wars after episode 8 so it's not like it could get much worse.

Thought Disney said they were taking a break on Star Wars movies after the backlash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

I don’t think the show has really established that Dany is so crazy that Varys should want her dead.

She executed a lord and his son for refusing to switch sides but that’s about it right? And I guess some paranoia over navigating the political situation in Westeros.

Ned Stark executed a kid for running away from the wall and everyone is like whatever. Jon also executed people personally. Weird to be like this is an unforgivable act.