Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I was feeling pretty critical of their “everyone just run at them” galaxy brain strategy but in light of the wall climbing maybe it makes a little more sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Firebert posted:

the showrunners have never beaten a total war series tutorial lol

The beginning was exactly like the default deployment in medieval 2, and nobody would use that

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Dragon dogfight was not something I anticipated but in retrospect it was a very likely outcome

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Disappointed casket lids didn’t pop off like champagne corks with the corpses of the stark family leaping out to eat Sansa

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Does the night king have any reason at all not to just let the enormous, entirely overwhelming forces of the dead kill bran? Like why meet him, I just realized I don’t quite get why he’s bait in the immediate physical sense

Also, dragon dogfighting is dope, I dig it

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Obviously dragon fire doesn’t work on night kings

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Someone flipped the “Romero” switch on the zombie machine

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Ned Starks disembodied head rollig around snapping at Sanaa’s ankles

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Multiple undead dragons seem kinda unassailable, seems like they ought to be proper hosed now

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Bran is totally gonna hadouken the night king

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

What does bran even do for anyone then

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I actually enjoyed it more than I expected but man they can’t seem to let go of the “main character about to die but other main character intervenes in a badass way” trope. It happened to everyone high enough on the totem pole to merit it and I kinda wish they had the guts to drop that particular writing convention

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

a new study bible! posted:

When did every central character develop mithril plot armor?

Yeah that poo poo drive me nuts every single time something was about to happen there was a quick cut sword stroke

I think this episode would have been better with some kind of exposition about the night king in general, I also feel he was kinda underserved as a generic monster

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Ragnarok the Red posted:

So like, uh.

Was Melisandre an un-controlled White Walker like Benjen Stark the entire time and that Lord of Light pendant was keeping her alive/free-willed and as soon as the Night King died and she took it off she keeled over like the rest of the white walkers?

I think she just aged instantly when she took it off, having fulfilled her mandate to the fire god

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Hobo Clown posted:

What army does Cersei have? Some Lannisters and some Greyjoys? Them versus the Winterfell leftovers is gonna be a letdown after that.

Like ten guys with severe PTSD getting stomped by Qyburn’s mechanical elephants

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Where did the night king get so many guys anyway, are they all just wildlings

PostNouveau posted:

It was a great bit of comedy. Really all 3 of the Jon Snow dealing with the ice dragon scenes were.

Piano scene dubbed over with yakkety sax would be pretty funny tbh

Anyway the more I think about it the more disappointed I am in bran specifically, all he did was sit there and squint, I expected at least like some kind of cool magic beam or something

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Harlock posted:

The show is fun garbage it's okay to admit this just dont confuse it with a narrative epic

I rewatched the first seven seasons before eight started and the narrative epic part is present enough early on you kinda get tonal whiplash by the end watching it all in quick succession

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

The thing that bugs me most is how the crypt stuff played out, and I don't think Ive seen people thank about it. Once the zombies start coming out, you can have everyone die, have Sansa and/or others help the survivors, or they could pointedly fail to save people in a demoralizing way. Any number of things could happen.

The payoff is that Sansa and Tyrion share a moment, and then stealth dash to a corner of the crypt that isn't any more hidden or defensible than the others, just one that none of the zombies have noticed yet despite all the people huddled there.

And then they just continue not to notice until the battle ends because they're simply focused on other victims.

big takeaway in this episode is that zombies have no peripheral vision at all

also, saw this on reddit and it made me laugh

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I wish big shows like this weren’t so hostile to exposition. Like, the Night King was an ancient human, he could have at least communicated with Bran or something to illustrate why he matters as something beyond a generic baddie

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

it strikes me all of the sudden that the cool episode 1 ending with the magical arm tapestry was just for absolutely nothing. that was where i had this vague idea they'd do some exposition and explain the night king as something beyond a formless bad guy who wants to kill things, and they just...didn't

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

the only thing that can redeem this narrative now would be an army of clockwork elephants commanded by Qyburn

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

The more I think about it the more I think it wasn’t so much just Aryas dumbass ninja move as it was the night kings behavior in general. Why did he insist on doing everything in slow motion? Why didn’t any of the walkers use their weapon? Why do they even do anything, literally just killing everything is just so uncompelling

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

precision posted:

It is pretty funny that the spooky arm mural meant literally nothing

I thought for sure we’d at least learn what that meant or about the nature of the Others magic and it’s relationship to the long night, like if it’s a profaned version of children of the forest magic there’s already a basis there

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

The scale of the undead army wasn’t even paid any attention, as others have pointed out the number in the God’s wood alone seemed to shift from shot to poo poo

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Kawabata posted:

The gently caress?

You couldn't distinguish fuckall for half of it and most battle scenes were a lovely shaky cam blur. As other posters pointed out, the scope of the undead army is never clear and it was super jarring to see Arya's velociraptor silent scene next to, huh, people still fighting super loud against the zombie horde in the same building.

Maybe you wanted to say it wasn't as badly directed as it was written and in that case yeah I agree it's not hard to do better than "Jon Snow yelling in a dragon's mouth for no reason".

yeah the more I think about it the more bothered I am about the Weirwood in particular, where you have the overhead shot showing Theon and the Ironborn totally surrounded by a shoulder-to-shoulder, fifty corpse deep zombie mob running at them and clearly taking up the whole place, to, in the very next scene, zombies running at him one at a time as if 90% of them just disappeared

makes me wonder if they just decided not to pay the continuity spotters or something

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Deified Data posted:

Well, none of the dragons on either side did much of anything so no harm, no foul.

I take it that typical White Walker tactics is to roll up outside a fortified settlement and just wait them out, killing anything that tries to leave and probing their defenses with their endless supply of bodies until the defenders starve or get sick and die. This would have been infinitely smarter than having your 1 HP guy who gets a game over for the whole faction if he dies fly right into the heart of the enemy I guess? :shrug:

well, they don't really have a typical tactic, because they have never won a battle, lmao

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I just really want one of these enormous production platinum era shows to treat the audience like they don’t have brain damage that can only be treated by slow mo action sequences

Just a few episodes of worldbuilding, or even put it in the episode with all the totally useless character interactions!

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Rewatched the series earlier this month and it feels like a linear decline in quality for me, with a huge drop at the Beyond the Wall episode

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Jst0rm posted:

reminds me. What happened to that baby they converted?

The writers literally just forgot about it I bet

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Sunday's episode was the first my dad had ever seen of the show (he read up on the characters after watching a few minutes last week) and he spent awhile yesterday going on about how well-done it was because of its clever, unexpected subversion of tropes, like how you never would have expected the child to kill the giant. He was super impressed and then the NYT reviewer loved it and that sealed the deal

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

i mean that was the only legitimately good part of the ep. but lol there wasn't any subversion anywhere.

he's convinced "big thing killed by little thing" is an elegant inversion of regular fantasy and was very creative, which I think may be a more common perspective than I could have imagined

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Raffles posted:

i take it he's not much of a biblical scholar then?

i know you're making a goliath joke but he actually majored in Religious Studies at UVA in the 70s, learned sanskrit, and spent lots of time on the bible, so he should absolutely know better :psyduck:

his excuse was just that it was exciting television, and the narratives didn't matter because it's fantasy and what else can you expect. i'm a bit of a stickler for coherence and exposition but I think maybe most people don't particularly care about that stuff

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Tei posted:

Jon is a bit stupid

current Tyrion is dumb

varys can't even speak more than one line

samsa is semi-decent normal person

arya have a special type of autism, imo

maybe the subtext of the serie is that the oxygen levels of westeros are falling

Turns out the only Targaryen infrastructure plan was lead pipes

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Lot of critical character development happening with a spring break style everyone gets laid sequence

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Xanderkish posted:

So is no one gonna talk about Arya giving the loving deathblow to the greatest evil.

They called her the hero of winterfell at the beginning or whatever

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

This is higher budget than most slash fics

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

But like nobody cares about the Targaryens anymore why would they care about Jons claim, suddenly, over Danys? There’s no pro legitimate Targaryen succession faction

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Bronn is a faceless man too

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

The precedent of plot relevant characters just bursting through doors with loaded crossbows has been SET

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Bronn is like a homing pigeon who can just go directly to the nearest Lannister which is how he found them so easily