Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I'm down so long as we protect it from piracy by sending out activation codes via certified letter

Courier in full Admiral of the Fleet uniform who delivers the code via semaphore or GTFO. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I can't help laughing every time I'm reminded of this whole 'we'll email you the code' business.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Lord Windy posted:

Has anyone cracked the game yet?

I keep expecting the game to be laughably easy to break.

I expect it would be a trivial exercise for some of the big hacker groups.

Of course, none of whom will bother to pay the slightest attention to it.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Been reading some 30 years war stuff so feel like trying my hand at PIke and Shot: Campaigns.

Worth getting? Or an alternative if it's not rated by people.

NB. I'll probably wait for the Steam sale when we're this close* anyway.

*25th June apparently.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

Between Steam/GOG/Fanatical, Slitherine's stuff is on sale somewhere every month or two.

....and it turns out Pike and Shot is on sale on Humble this weekend.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/pike-and-shot-campaigns

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Wait. Why is Command: Modern Air / Naval Operations WOTY discounted to £31 and WOTY and Northern Inferno discounted to £20?

Also Pike and Shot Campaigns, or Field of Glory II?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Invader Zym posted:

Any opinions on Steel Division: Normandy 44 as a single player game? 66% off in the Steam sale - I'm either gonna buy it or remove it from my wishlist.

I never bothered with MP and barely touched the campaign but I enjoyed noodling around with the division creator and trying them out against the AI in skirmish mode.

Re: Pike and Shot vs FOG 2. I was leaning on FOG because it's cheaper and looks more polished.

I was wondering though what exactly is the integration with the forthcoming FOG: Empires that people keep mentioning.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Dramicus posted:

Empires is kind of like a paradox grand strategy game and if you have fog2 you can fight the battles instead of having them resolved with dice rolls a la Eu4/imperator.

Ok. How does that work?

Is it all going to be smoothly integrated or is it going to be some byzantine save your game, exit, launch FOG II, load the save from the other game, play it out, save the result, quit, load back into empires, load the save state madness.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

It was my first exposure to 'Kaiser Wilhelm, WTF is your problem mate?'

Edit: That's from Massies Dreadnought not Castles of Steel, but which is also great.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jul 24, 2019

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Wow. I see what the thread means about Battlefront.

Rock Paper Shotgun are doing a communal lets play of Shock Force 2

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/07/27/quitting-qatab-turn-1/

I thought 'That looks fun, I wonder how much it is?'

That is some ambitious pricing they've got going on there.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Increasingly convinced that Grey Hunter is actually an amalgamation of about 3 people, because there's no other explanation of how he finds the time for all this.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

*Wearily shakes head at this display of disgusting laziness*

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I don't think so.

I believe GOG connect doesn't allow you to link DLC across the platforms.

This is because GOG use's your steam profile to see what you own, but your profile doesn't show the DLC for games you own.

The only thing I can suggest is, if you want to give the developers money.

Link your accounts, you're get a free copy of the main game on GOG, then buy the DLC you really want.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Anyone any opinions on the just released Fantasy General 2?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Lol at this though.

quote:

Arguably the single biggest criticism leveled against CMANO v1.x has been that its user interface, and primarily the map engine, felt slow and clunky. In some cases this was the result of various technical circumstances, such as users not keeping their systems updated, shovelware and intrusive apps sinking their rusty hooks inside Command without any recourse (looking at you, Valve & MSI), and other factors.

"Look Doom may run smooth as glass on your system, but the reason our map is so laggy is because of Steam." :argh:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I did in fact mean the rather more graphically intense 2016 Doom.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

quote:

PS: For those players anticipating problems in purchasing the game, we will soon offer alternative payment methods to suit their needs.

Couldn't help but notice this. Just how full grog have they gone here? Did they look at the Rule the Waves lads and say "Hold my beer".

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Oct 20, 2019

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

18,000', I assume that's deep enough it's not going to be looted.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I'd quite like to give CMO a try but not at £63.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Don't you need the main game for that?

Looking on the Steam page for some of the DLC (Northern Inferno) it certainly says that.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

LnL. What level is it? Low obviously, but is it squads or individual soldiers. Also any vehicles involved.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Drone posted:

He's stated that this isn't a bug, it's a feature, unfortunately.

Edit: totally normal and well-balanced individual over here.

"call off your assassins, ye modders!"

That just looks like an obvious joke?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I'm surprised he doesn't have a Patreon.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I would totally buy some of their more recent games*, but not at those prices and dumb DRM.

Put them on the drat Epic store if you want a bigger cut, just admit it's 2020 and act accordingly.

* I know they've put some of their ancient ones up on GOG

Edit: I was curious what their latest position is and welp (bolding mine).

quote:

On 2/19/2020 at 4:28 PM, Battlefront.com said:

We are huge fans of GOG and have our older CM1 products on there. We're very happy with how that is going. However, we will not put our current games on GOG because we don't think we'd be happy with that.

The first and most important reason is that GOG does not allow copy protection. That means our games can be freely copied by anybody and everybody. It takes only one person, just one, to buy from GOG and post it to a download site. One. And once it's up there it's up there for good. We'd likely be out of business soon after.

The reason why no copy protection works for our old games is two fold:

1. The games are priced very low and therefore more likely to have someone agree to pay instead of download for free. Cumulatively the honest gamers who purchase through GOG generate a nice amount of "found money" for us, which is always welcomed but it isn't very significant in terms of paying salaries and bills.

2. The games are not even remotely part of Battlefront's survival equation. If we received no money from CM1 products ever again we'd still be in business. Even a relatively minor reduction in sales of our current CM2 line of games would likely spell disaster.

Notice I haven't mentioned the cut that GOG takes. That's always a concern for us, especially if such a relationship diminishes our own sales, but it's not a problem for us if the overall relationship is more profitable than not having it. Because the CM1 sales that GOG generates are extra revenue for us, giving them a healthy chunk of it is fully deserved. Giving someone a cut of sales that contribute to overall lower total sales, of course, would not be such a good thing.

Customers that like and support the games we make need to value one thing above all others... us staying in business. No Battlefront. no more CM. Just because we've beaten the odds of staying in business year after year for 20+ years doesn't mean that we can survive making a big mistake. Not to worry though... we are obviously pretty good at avoiding big mistakes :D

Steve

We've found it people, peak grog.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jun 9, 2020

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

It's a shame because Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord was one of the most magical games I've ever played in my life. But as soon as they moved on from BO/BB/AK they went straight into the shitter in both the quality of the games and the way they conducted business.

Would it still hold up? It is actually available on GOG.

Edit: Also more LOL's at the description on GOG which BF have to be the ones to have written.

quote:

Combat Mission Beyond Overlord (CMBO) is the first of the award winning and ground breaking Combat Mission game series. It recreates battles in Northwestern Europe from the June 6th 1944 Allied "D-Day" invasion of Normandy through the end of the war in May 1945. Combat Mission allows players to lead historically accurate forces from six nationalities (U.S., British, Canadian, Polish, French, and German) into battle on widely varied terrain in all weather and lighting conditions.

Combat is simulated in turns using science and behavioral logic, not “gamey” conventions such as hit points, armor ratings, tables of resolution, or other overly simplistic concepts.
The pioneering “WeGo” gameplay system helps avoid many of the realism problems of other games by requiring both players to submit their orders and having them carried out simultaneously. The resulting 60 second replayable “movie” can be viewed from any angle and perspective before moving onto the next turn.
Play stand alone battles, connected battles, or “Quick Battles” created on-the-fly. The full featured Editor allows you to create your own battles. A large amount of community generated battles and Mods are available for free download. In addition to the very challenging single player mode, two people can play on one computer, TCP/IP network connection, or via PBEM.

Apply common sense and intuition and don’t expect "gamey" tactics to work - no matter how successful they were in other games. You will be forced to plan ahead, use timing, suppression fire, feints and flanking attacks to survive, let alone to win. When planning your moves, think about what would work in the real world, not what would work in other games.

:colbert:

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 9, 2020

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

To be honest, less so that the GoG versions of Barbarossa and Afrika Corps. Those at least you can do some voodoo to push them into 1080p so things are a bit more legible. Haven't been able to figure it out for Beyond Overlord so everything is a blurry, square mess. Also the camera controls are absolutely awful.

Thought that might be the case for such an old game.

Thanks

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Alchenar posted:

Lol try to install your dumb taskbar on my browser every time I install a game or patch,

They try what now?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Saros posted:

Remember in like, I wanna say early 2000's when every program would try install a custom web browser taskbar? Yeah.

LOL, does it try and change your homepage to Battlefront.com as well.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

AARP LARPer posted:

If they had put this on GOG there wouldn’t be a problem. But of course, at that point we’d all be playing it for free BECAUSE IT JUST TAKES ONE!!!

That whole GOG thing really got me. The level of disconnect that thinks "If just one copy without DRM makes it onto the internet it's over! Like it was goddamn Skynet". Like every other publisher on the planet doesn't have piracy without suffering instant existance failure. Like their games wouldn't be instantly cracked if they weren't so deliberately niche and obscure no pirate group even bothers to crack their titles.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 11, 2020

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Not out yet, but you might want to keep an eye on this as well

https://drydockdreams.games/

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Minenfeld! posted:

Good lord there are a lot of channels in the discord.

Yeah, frantically diving into every thread I follow, snapping up new discord links.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

It was part of this whole steam festival thing where a ton of indie devleopers would thrown up current snapshots of their games in a big promotional thing.

It was specifically time limited. It wasn't a "This is our game" demo. It was "This is our game and we're still working on it" demo.

Think of it as a teaser trailer.

For the record it was pretty good. Not without flaw, I agree Infantry seemed pretty weak, but again still very much in development. I've definitely added it to my wishhlist.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 28, 2020

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

One of the spiritual sequels to the Wargame series just went into playable early access.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1047210/Cold_War_Game/

Set in the 70's which is an interesting twist on the usual late 80's hardware we normally see.

I have a backlog and already splurged on Steam sale stuff so I'm not picking it up for now, but definitely looks like it's worth watching.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

feedmegin posted:

I mean, pikes went out of fashion at the end of the 17th century or so, so only 200 years earlier! :shobon:

Just think of the later period having very small pikes and considerably more shot.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I thought the Battle Academy games were both excellent.

I went and picked up some of the DLC for the first one in the Steam Sale and noticed that it (which is focused on the West, the sequel covers the Eastern Front) is just over £1 for the base game at the moment if someone just wants to try it.

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 3, 2020

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I wonder how ambitious they're going to get with the pricing for Shock Force.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

They've made their fatal error.

As soon as it comes out tomorrow I'm going to pirate it with my leet haxor skillz.

Then I'm going to use an algorithm, to create all possible variations on the Combat Mission formula and release the infinite number of resulting games onto the Pirate Bay, thus destroying their business forever. :colbert:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

That's what makes it such a weird talking point.

30% is pretty much the industry standard for the seller, and is what companies like Gamestop charge as their cut for a physical release you buy in store.

Back in the day, when they were selling stuff in physical stores they'd have lost an almost identical cut.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

But they make up for it in volume!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

That semi-annual group play of a Combat Mission scenario was always a really fun thing too.