Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

pseudorandom name posted:

Mozilla let the Firefox extension signing certificate expire.

I wish you are posting certificate expired!!!1!!!!

:mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

:cowtits:

...(it’s a dog)

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sagebrush posted:

take every developer and sysadmin who came up with these policies and break them upon the wheel

then replace all former password policies with "must be at least a 30-character sentence"

there, i've solved it forever. if you think typing 30 letters in a row with no mistakes is an undue hardship i hate you.

I think having to read 30 letters in a row written by you is an undue hardship, hth?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
:stare:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

:dong:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

ymgve posted:

Someone claims to have broken the SIMON cipher on shorter keylenghts

https://eprint.iacr.org/2019/474

but the whole document is...weird

https://twitter.com/colmmacc/status/1127100892883312640

quote:

Our analysis technique is not public at this stage of development.
There is still a lot of work to be done to obtain an optimized, more
efficient and industry-level version, which would be transposable more
generally to other cryptographic systems. However, since we know that
an algorithm is no longer secure and can no longer be used, it is essential
to make this information public, without necessarily revealing the method
used.

:chloe:

E: I don't have anywhere near the math background to understand what they're (purporting to be) actually saying but that bit above strikes me as strange?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 11, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Fallen Hamprince posted:

gonna be a huge dumb pedant and point out that the 'russians used a pencil' thing is a myth. the soviets used grease pencils because a graphite pencils crumble in low g and poo poo up electronics and air filters. the 'astronaut pen' was developed as a gimmick by a pen company and eventually adopted by both programs. ballpoint pens work fine in low g, they only don't work when you turn them upside down in normal gravity

Goddamnit, I was going to Kramer the gently caress on in with an :actually: on your pedantry but you said low g not zero g. :mad:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Is Chronicle’s Backstory IDS any good?

I heard an interesting sponsor thing on Risky Business but that guy gives good interview so it might not actually be good?

:ohdear:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Soricidus posted:

amber stylesheet

:vomarine:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Krankenstyle posted:

btw english is the third language i learned but i use it as a secondary

It sure is a #2!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

D. Ebdrup posted:

Here, I found you a new candindate:

I think rear-view cameras have been legally mandated equipment since May of 2018 though?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Pryor on Fire posted:

Apparently google cloud is down

and most of the internal tools inside google are down too

:tinfoil:

Wrap it up, Googailures. Last one out turn out the lights.

:wave:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

20 days is not 2 months, though?

E: Unless it is? loving metric system! :argh:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cocoa Crispies posted:

“pope pope ret” is a very good name

Pope Pope horny, George Michael.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

infernal machines posted:

how do you think it works?

Poorly?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Oh good, I was wondering where my next supply of free credit monitoring would come from!

What's that? "GDPR in the USA"? To that sort of European* nonsense I say: No Sir!

:patriot: Make Mine Freedom. :patriot:

*More like Europoopin, ammirite?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 30, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Credit reporting is only not prosecutable as stalking because the relative wealth of the perpetrator leads us to blame the victim, hth?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
what is this, im not good with computers.

:(

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 2, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

MononcQc posted:

Let me one up this one.

OSX allows you to set full disk encryption using a custom keyboard layout that is stored on the disk itself. If you use a non-US layout, this lets you type keys that are not available on the default US layout (for example, ç or ü).
When the OS boots while encrypted, it prompts you for your password, but using a US layout.

If you don't have the little recovery code noted somewhere safe where you know to find it, you just rendered all your data unusable. There are no warnings or whatever, you just find about it the hard way.

I managed to do this to one of my Pis (I plugged in a keyboard at first boot and set a password then couldn't SSH in because the keyboard map was :britain: but my keyboard was :gop:).

Didn't break anything permanently but I felt pretty drat stupid when I realized what happened (which, to be fair, isn't an uncommon feeling for me but realizing how I did the dumb is).

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Because technical fixes to behavioral problems* are well-known for their effectiveness, ammirite?

*: :airquote:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Sir, this is the secfuck drivethrough

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

framing a desire to not see a child OD and/or get raped as parental tyranny is strikingly lovely even coming from you

This is a behavioral problem not a technical one. Technical solutions will only ever inspire false confidence and, because they do not address (much less resolve) the underlying behavioral issue, will never improve the situations.

Also: go gently caress yourself.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 8, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

:nfpa:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i'm responding to your asterisk and scare-quotes emoji, which implied that children potentially overdosing on drugs and/or getting raped is not a problem.

that said, if you want to really get into your post, while i wouldn't consider digital surveillance to be a complete solution to a behavior problem, i also wouldn't discount its use as an immediate tool for trying to protect a child from bad actors while also working to address the behavioral issue.

Therapy is a solution. Medication is a solution. If necessary, involuntary commitment is a solution. Installing spyware is not a solution.

"We'll only use it this time! And it's for good reasons! Promise promise!" is generally an unfavorable position to hold.

E: Also they're called smilies. :eng101:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

infernal machines posted:

in a similar vein, i have a client who can never update their domain whois with CIRA, because the domain is registered to an organization with "Canada" in the name, and the registrar insists that's a banned word in the organization field for .ca domains

Doesn't the Canadian government name things "(Function) Canada" fairly regularly?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Anyone going to Global Security Exchange in Chicago next week early in September?

Wish I were, convergence with physical security is nifty af.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Midjack posted:

they probably wanted to set a precedent of shaking down doctors for patient information though.

it's this

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

drat brb gonna see how embarrassed past me is gonna make me

I mean, your post history button is right there?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

CommieGIR posted:

This is the visual of someone slamming their hands in a drawer over and over.

In that they bought an Fortinet?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Anything in this humble bundle worth getting? https://www.humblebundle.com/books/information-technology-security-books

I don't recognize any of the books/authors in it but I've been actually checking their site since all of the Dark Heresy roll-playing game was up on it for like 20 bucks and thought I might as well ask?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I'm hoping they all got their library cards revoked after this.

:decorum:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Isn't SMS like Caller ID levels of secure?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Security Fuckup Megathread v18.2 - "it's a security feature. it doesn't substitute for experience"

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Speaking as a performatively dumb gimmick poster myself, I must say I really do admire this sort of dedication to The Craft. It's refreshing to see that, in our age of automated kremlinbots, the proud tradition of artisnal shitposting is alive and well here in the Something Awful Dot Com forums.

:tipshat:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

well yosmas came early, it's going into the collection alongside

we're trying to find the right sequence

I want a little wood block stamp with the thing from the corner of that.

:3:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

fins posted:

Oh, so it's you! drat hacker! Stuff breaking into my stuff

Link me ur etsy.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

:thurman:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

mystes posted:

There's probably a special circle of hell for companies like Bank of America that are members of the FIDO Alliance but still only support SMS in 2019.

I somehow doubt this will be the deciding factor for BoA's circle assignment?

:shrug:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Lain Iwakura posted:

clipboards work too

The doctor/construction ones (the ones where you store stuff in them) in particular make you look, like, official?

Although back in school I'm pretty sure I got promoted to supervise the help desk just because I walked around with a regular clip board and a cup of coffee and looked, I dunno, managerial?

E: I mean, really, it was student help desk. Anyone who didn't too obviously smoke pot on the smoking porch and showed up more-or-less on time was "in like Flynn" (as the kids say these days) if they wanted the role?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I mean, it was a buck fifty more an hour and I didn't have to take calls anymore?