Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Guys I'm concerned, Abby the Witch sounded very different this week. I think she might have a serious head cold.

CJ2 quoting Dave posted:

The story from Fightful.com going around that The Revival turned down five-year contracts for $500,000 apiece per year is accurate. Tonight's TV may give you WWE's reaction to that.

If you don't want talent to run off, burying them on TV when they don't re-sign sure is a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Jerusalem posted:

This is particularly galling since the Usos kinda sucked for ages then they got given a bunch of freedom (I can't remember if it started on Smackdown or not) to just be themselves/cut their own weird promos and they became amazing. Now it looks like WWE might be "helping" them :sigh:

I'm gonna take this as an opportunity to chart the Usos evolution because I find it really fascinating.

- They went to SmackDown as same ol' bland face Usos in the 2016 brand split.
- Started adopting heelish tendencies slowly when it looked like American Alpha might be the new hot tag team on the block
- American Alpha beat them in a tournament match (where the Usos jumped them at the bell) and the Usos snapped, attacked American Alpha and went heel.
- They ditched the facepaint and all the Samoan iconography, got their new music and started heavily emphasizing limbwork and submissions. This was absolutely fascinating because for a few weeks there they were this really fun mix of The Young Bucks and The Revival, doing a frog splash on somebody's leg and then putting them in a Tequila Sunrise.
- They just kinda treaded water while the Slater/Rhyno stuff and Wyatt Family stuff was happening until they started feuding with American Alpha for the tag titles. This is when they started talking about Day One Ish and doing the "It's Not Paranoia, It's the Usos" promos. This promo imo is when they really started clicking.
- They had a series of really great TV matches with American Alpha that nobody remembers except me. One of them was literally interrupted by shots of Shane McMahon walking down a hallway. It's a goddamn tragedy. But they won the tag belts off American Alpha here.
- After Wrestlemania 33, they feuded with Breezango next. This is where they picked up the Uso Penitentiary stuff.
- After Breezango, they feuded with New Day. This is where they got new music where they rapped over their current theme.
- After the New Day feud, basically a year after turning heel, they turned face because everybody just loved them now.
- Jimmy fought a cop.
- Then they went to Raw to presumably be completely ruined.

It's just so interesting to me because you can see that the gimmick was just kinda there at first after the turn, but then they hit the Day One Ish stuff, started incorporating stuff from their opponents in their feuds and then they just got more and more over with all of these awesome matches until everybody loved them. It's the best example of turning someone heel to turn them face I can think of and it's also a great example of letting someone get over by just letting them be themselves. If WWE treated more acts like the Usos, their TV would probably be a lot more fun to watch.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 30, 2019

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

KungFu Grip posted:

Mustache Robert beat Ricochet last week and wasn't on Raw or in MITB.

Wasn't he part of the preview?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Jerusalem posted:

I was absolutely positive I remembered them being in at least 2-3 preshows but when I did a very quick and dirty lookup via cagematch I can see there weren't any (unless it was missed/misrecorded).

TLC 2015: Opening Match of the Show in a Triple Threat ladder match including Lucha House Party
Royal Rumble 2016: Middle of the card Tag Title Match
Money in the Bank 2017: Early in the card tag title match that went to countout
Battleground 2017: Opening tag title match
Hell in a Cell 2017: Opening tag title match (in the cell)
Clash of Champions 2017: Early in the card Fatal Fourway tag title match including Rusev/English and Gable/Benjamin (that's racist!)
Fastlane 2018: Near top of the card tag title match, ended in No Contest
Wrestlemania 34: Middle of the card, triple threat involving Bludgeon Brothers (who won in like 5 minutes)
TLC 2018: Early in the card triple threat involving The Bar

Maybe I just conflated the bad endings like count-outs/squashes in my head with pre-show matches? In any case, I was wrong.

You're thinking of SummerSlam 2017. That show sucked a dick which made the Usos/New Day being on the pre show even more galling.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Chris James 2 posted:

Also there's been no change in Gallows and Anderson's status with WWE, their contracts end this fall and they're not re-signing

Ooooookay, hold the gently caress up. Aleister Black said this when Roman got diagnosed.

quote:

Fast forward 17 years and it is May 2017 and I am having my first tour with RAW, live events and working Main Event against Curt Hawkings.

During the Live events I’d make sure that the lockerrooms were kept clean after the wrestlers were gone, the garbage was taken care of, towels were stacked and that post match people had water, especially the uppercard. Stuff that in my opinion is long forgotten and not practiced anymore, however I feel that these things are important as they teach about respect and keep you humble, something very much needed in this generation.

After a few nights we sat down as I also tried to let people get to know me as it is important for the people that you work with to see you and are able to interact with you, these are your colleagues and the people you work with for hopefully a very long and fulfilling time. During the sit down I got a change to talk to Roman a little bit and we talked about tattoos, music, his background and his heritage.

At a certain point during that conversation Roman looked at me and said “I don’t want you cleaning the lockerrooms anymore.” “I want you to understand that you belong here and I want for you to kill it every night and be part of the team, that’s all I care about.” “you’ve been wrestling long enough to understand how this works, so please, relax.”

So, uh.

WHICH THE gently caress IS IT.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Chris James 2 posted:

I don't remember anything except him getting kicked off a bus for being obnoxious

Same with Cass minus the bus part

Enzo also brought people backstage, apparently. I dunno what else he did but by the time the allegations went down, everybody already hated him.

Cass got heat with the locker room for being super MAGA (which, wow, he must've had to be really loud and obnoxious to get heat for that), then everything spiraled under control once he shot on the little person and he did like three fireable offenses in the span of a month.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I don't wanna stick up for the NJPW dojo too much because it apparently used to be really, really bad before Tanahashi changed some things, but yeah at least if you graduate from there you're probably gonna be a really good wrestler that gets pushed like a star.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So hey what're the odds Lio Rush is trying to get fired?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I really can't wait for football season.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
If carrying water coolers is so easy then I'm sure a stage hand or something can do it just fine.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

rovert posted:

I get the point but what if WWE doesn't want outsiders in Gorilla what then? Due insurance, secrets, privacy, etc?

Vince and Hunter are bodybuilders. They can do it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

rovert posted:

I don't. I'll never understand this rep people want me to have. I just prefer to deal with the reality at hand rather than some ideal World stuff that will probably never happen or not at least until Vince moves on.

I rip on WWE and make jokes about it all the time.

You said he was being really irresponsible. How is he being irresponsible by not carrying water and cleaning up crap in the locker room.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Skimming the thread here what I'm gathering from this is that Daniel Bryan is water. Rovert is Daniel Bryan more like a waterbender from Avatar The Last Airbender or is he made of water like Liquidator from Darkwing Duck. Is there heat on Lio Rush because Daniel Bryan returned to his natural water state to conserve energy and Lio Rush refused to carry him and nobody's been able to find him since Wrestlemania 35 because he was just stuck in a cooler somewhere in Metlife Stadium?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The only system we have is cavauro.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Oh man I said it and you guys didn't believe me.

I told you, he literally went through USADA testing to con VInce out of more money.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

flashy_mcflash posted:

For the first time I feel like we're five years or less from WWE being sold to Disney in a package deal like the X-Men or The Simpsons. poo poo just seems dire on a bunch of levels and the only way to stem the tide would be a galactic level star like discovering the next Cena or Austin and even if those guys exist they'd be ruined.

Kenny Omega was that star and he took one look at how they booked his friends and was like gently caress that.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Sugar Blaster posted:

https://twitter.com/JonMoxley/status/1123438186410205184

So Jon Moxley is already back to being like a million times better than anything Dean Ambrose did in WWE.

This crazy fucker is gonna do deathmatches again. :gonk:

Edit:

Let's goooooooooooooooo.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 1, 2019

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

SyntheticPolygon posted:

If it’s a standard clause it seems to be one they only employ arbitrarily. Dean just finished with the company and they didn’t make him stay another few months due to his past injuries.

Dillinger asked for his release and got it. Harper asked for his and got several months added to his contract. It really does seem totally arbitrary.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Goldberg taking the money is... extremely disappointing.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

AsInHowe posted:

Donald Trump's approval ratings are in the high-30s, and he's about to be publicly impeached with days of public hearings.

There's virtually no chance he gets re-elected.

It's a presidential platypus.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Also Roman is advertised for the KSA show so that fortuitously timed leak about how he totally, definitely didn't wanna go to Crown Jewel is basically exactly what I thought it was when I saw it.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Brad Sheppard as reported by Ringside News? Really, guys? We're taking this seriously?

Anyway apparently Fightful spoke with Lio Rush, but it's behind a patreon paywall.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

VJeff posted:

Anyway apparently Fightful spoke with Lio Rush, but it's behind a patreon paywall.

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/exclusives/exclusive-lio-rush-gives-fightful-his-side-wwe-heat-rumors

Rush giving his side of the story.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Aphrodite posted:

Lio possibly never got a raise from his NXT contract I guess.

That's what I've been assuming. Merch money might even that out but if you're not getting money from the closest thing you have to your own merch...

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

DarkstarIV posted:

Oh yeah, Lio's complaint about WWE not paying him enough for travel expenses may have fallen apart with a tweet like this:

In case he remembers he tweeted this and deletes it, it was a tweet bragging about renting out luxury cars for show loops.

Rrrrrreeeeally telling on yourself here, bro.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

DarkstarIV posted:

Yeah, and it also ties into what Mark Henry has hinted at in his Busted Open interview where he heavily implies that Lio is not responsible with his money. And it also ties into the Fightful report that Lio is angling for a reality show, probably to make more money. The rental car is being used as an example of him not being responsible with his money. He could use an economy level car like most talents, but instead opts to go for the designer/high end stuff.

I am not defending WWE. They should pay travel expenses, offer insurance, etc. But people are way too quick to blame WWE for every single bad thing as well.

I understand what you're trying to say here, dude. But WWE doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt. We know enough about how they treat their talent that the concept of Lio Rush still being on his developmental contract and not getting money for merch he should be getting money for isn't so difficult to believe that you need to poke a bunch of holes in it. Lio Rush might be a prick, but there's nothing unreasonable about what he's saying. Other talent, including talent you probably like, is probably being abused just as badly and the fact that Lio Rush is outspoken and opinionated is probably the only reason we're hearing about it.

Also that rental car is probably a lot less expensive than you think it is.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

rovert posted:

WWE is going to come off as truly awful and complete bullies.

rovert posted:

but what else is new?

:v:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Whoa when did McConaughey learn how to act

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

rovert posted:

Per PWInsider, Lio Rush was offered a five year, $300k contract, but he turned it down because he wanted $600k.

https://www.pwinsider.com/article/1...d-more.html?p=1

tbh I think PWI's source might be fibbing because:

Chris James 2 posted:

His wording implies he didn't see anyone have to do that while he was there (2010-'16), which would mean PWInsider's sources lied to them outright when they said it was a traditional thing every "junior member" backstage had to do on overseas tours

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I like Mark but he's being a pretty big stooge right now.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Wait, hold on a sec, was it 300 per year or 300 total? Because the latter comes out to fuckin' 60k a year.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Okay, thanks.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

george costanza's job for the yankees was booking hotel and travel for the team

Attention McMahon and front office morons....

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

jesus WEP posted:

remember when dolph disappeared at the end of the year, made twitter noises about leaving, was a “surprise” Rumble entrant where he did nothing, and hasn’t been seen since?

He had a very long stint with Drew McIntyre and Seth Rollins on Raw sooooooo no I don't remember that.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Henry characterizing that as a "blatant lie" is hosed up and WWE tabbing a black guy to run interference for them is pretty horrific, if par for the course.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

jesus WEP posted:

that happened in 2018 dude

I thought you were talking about the 2018 Rumble.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

ChrisBTY posted:

1) At some point doesn't being the position of a Luke Harper or Lio Rush mean that you can just say whatever you want on social media and sandbag your way through your contract? Neither one has a reason to put 100% in these days so you can do anything short of something that will put you in breach of contract or get you stiffed by some of the 'locker room leader' types. But really are there even any of those anymore? Sure they can humiliate you on TV but you can just spin that into more attention and more hype for your eventual indy run since you'll just come across as sympathetic.

I want someone to just use their twitter to start railing against KSA and see how long it takes them to get fired.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I swear to God I thought that was Mike from RedLetterMedia.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I can at least feel somewhat comfortable that Mick would and Goldberg is putting the money to some good use.

Doesn't change that it's bad, bad money, but bad money can still do good stuff.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Raskolnikov38 posted:

its terrible for him to be even be willing but i could see mick needing the money at least. goldberg should be set after mania 33

Goldberg was set before Survivor Series 2016.

TheKingslayer posted:

Just not the ones KSA bombs.

Oh yeah, KSA will just forbid you from coming if you do that. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Rarity posted:

NJPW spoiler

Dude. What the gently caress.

Actually I guess I can't even get too mad at you Rarity because the loving NJPW Youtube channel spoiled it the second I checked my subs. :|

MJeff fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 4, 2019