Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

By the way, Backer keys are out for the Kickstarter people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mindblast posted:

I'm looking to hop on board P2 because the first game was too obtuse for my simple monkey brain. The developer has had quite a bit of practice inbetween their very first version and this so I'm hoping it is a little bit more accessible this time around!

It is, there's an actual journal, quest and relevant NPC highlighting to help you navigate the map and fast travel.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

You know, it should not surprise me to see a fellow Slugcat hyped for Pathologic.

The Masks posted:

The play will begin at 10am PST (Los Angeles / Seattle) / 10pm Moscow time. Don't be late.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Artbook preview is looking good. Might actually pick this up.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Star Guarded posted:

I suspect the RPS writer's complaints will be common, unfortunately. In their defense, games writing is tough, and if someone plopped Pathologic 2 on my desk and told me I had 48 hours to play it and review it, on top of everything else I had to do that week, it'd probably piss me off, too. Some games aren't suited for the conditions that reviews require games to be played in.

Still, I'll share this one non-spoiler piece of advice about enjoying the game: resist Death, but if it must come, let it happen, without fear or shame or (hopefully) too much frustration. Follow Death. Go deeper. Some of my favorite narrative moments in this game require failure.

(Also, I'm the game's localization manager/lead localization writer, since I haven't given that disclosure in this thread)

Yeah, it kind of sounded like he got into a death-spiral, partially from not picking up how to play the game and from underestimating how hard survival would get in later days, which led to a lot of frustration, which might be common for a lot of people. It is still a condescending piece in its tone (budget Skyrim, seriously?). I am ready for it, I got into a dead-man state in The Void 12 hours in and had to restart my playthrough and I'd still consider it one of my favorites.

Also game is live, download it!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Look Sir Droids posted:

So how's this game running? The reqs look manageable. Anybody got an oldish rig that's handling it well?

I had pretty bad performance during the intro segment before the train-ride, but after that and in the game proper it is going pretty smoothly. My computer is barely at the minimum specifications.

RBA Starblade posted:

Is it me or is the game running worse than the demo did? It's chugging pretty decently at times.

It's running better for me.

Quicksilver6 posted:

Apparently you can only play as the Haruspex for now?

Can I still run around with more human organs on my person than an entire network of hospitals, or did they add in a weight system

No weight system, but there's inventory Tetris. You have the same options for storage as in the original game, at least.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 24, 2019

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Verviticus posted:

did anyone fill out this bubble from Act I? what does it say?

edit: my guess is that it had something to do with the dream sequence where you can kill them again or let them beat you up, but i dont think either route opens the bubble

You get it for dying in day 1.

Also I think the thing most distressing about day 2 is the cache hunt, which will eat a lot of time, but don't worry too much. Act 2 and its quests/bubbles is actually for both day 2 and 3.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Star Guarded posted:

This isn't meant to be a self-promo at all but if you're interested in more stuff about the localization, like how all the Tragedians were localized in iambic pentameter, I'm updating a little twitter thread over the next week or so with random stuff. No spoilers: https://twitter.com/bravemule/status/1131985295673573377

Did Clara literally make a Mindless Self Indulgence reference in the night 2 to 3 theatre play?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Star Guarded posted:

This one?

Clara: I can work miracles. I just lay hands on a person, and they… you know, if they had cancer, or a tumor, or something in the blood… I'm not very good with terms. But God loves me.

Not intentionally, no. What song?

This one! And this song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrg_h7_Z-bI

It's the God Loves me part that made me think of it. Anyways, in my head canon Clara is a fan.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

RBA Starblade posted:

I traded all my extremely unsafe hooks and razors to children and now I'm rich in smoked meat and garbage

I wonder how many people having food problems early are buying the less filling foods? I finally read the rps article and lol that guy sucks if he's managed to repeatedly die in day 2

I am a certified dumbass who died a total of one time on day 2.

By spontaneously deciding to test if the stairway to heaven near the theatre had invisible walls to prevent falls.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The Vosgian Beast posted:

:allears: I love these little moments of humor

I was coming here to post exactly that! P2 is a surprisingly funny game at times.

Demiurge4 posted:

For me the food issue is huge and I get that it's intentional to stress the player out but I'm literally spending all my time looking for food and I'm still starving, it's not a lot of fun. So I resolved to just cheat my way out of the food issue :shrug:

What day are you on? I found day 4 to somewhat ease the pressure on the food (between the Fund and Gravel giving you food) in comparison to previous days. Not sure if this will last, but it let me focus more on the doctoring part of the action.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Quicksilver6 posted:

I can't remember them all, much less be able to pull it off but supposedly it had additional positive consequences at day 12.

From what I understand, it's a miracle if you the player survives even that long in this one. Also can someone explain the death penalty? That seems like it's kicking you when you're down which is... disheartening.

E:f,b

In 1 you only could give your character's solution to the Plague if all your Adherents are alive. Keeping other character's Adherents alive let you choose their ending instead. There was one special scene if you saved another's set and another if you saved everyone.

I am still on day 4, so I am a long way from speculating on 2's ending.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Look Sir Droids posted:

Oh ho, wow. lol. Good to know.

The penalties are really low and some fun story beats happen because of it, I say from 3 deaths by the middle of day 4.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Verviticus posted:

a minor mechanical spoiler/hint for post-day 3

if you can afford the water and herbs (and you should be able to), and you can get your hands on some spare antibiotics, absolutely go for maxing out the fund every day. this was my reward on day 8:

:eyepop:

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Squidtentacle posted:

Yep. We had a power outage after so I had to do it again anyway, and I just went through it all and it's still blocked. I'd literally never gone in there so I'm wondering if that has to do with it.

I still have the paper so I'm wondering if it might've bugged too.

Oh, that is... Interesting. Usually you go there on day 2 and get some resources and a bunch of information. Not sure if that's stuff that will still be available in later days. Did you somehow get a key to your lab through another mean? Because that's the really important part. If not then I'd strongly recommend reloading a save from the previous day.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

MiddleOne posted:

Anyone know what the sewing box is for? I thought It'd allow me to repair items on my or that you could give it to Gravel or something, but no luck so far.

EDIT: I discovered the stealth mode button just now and literally nothing will ever be the same again.

You can use it to to expand your inventory for the second time at the hide-out.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Verviticus posted:

the lantern keeps them away, it doesnt kill them. you have to keep the lantern on for the entire time you travel through where the cloud is, because as soon as you turn the lantern off the cloud can hit you again

maybe a bug? ive never been hurt for more than 20-30% by one of those three stab motions if im facing the guy and i spent like 5 hours a night beating up looters

Nah, I've also had knife-thugs kill me in a single combo.

[edit]Wish it was a bug though.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Artemy's healing method with his custom tintures is so specific that I can't help but wonder how Daniel and Clara will do it. Maybe their eventual playthrough won't be as focused on treating the sick, but then they still need to keep characters alive somehow. Maybe Clara's will involve sacrificing extras to gain the power to save the actors?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Exhaustion actually deals relatively little health damage, to the point where I almost feel it is worth to push through and then sleep on Morphine for like three hours each day instead of getting a full rest.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The full announcement.

Also the video commenting on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xe2IxHFYwo

Honestly, this is really good. I've been talking about Pathologic 2 to my friends and I am loving it, but not outright recommending it because I know how unwelcoming it is. Now I'll actively start to tell everyone to buy it.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Verviticus posted:

i always put back some garbage like an herb or a water bottle, but im moderately sure the conclusion to the quest is the same

that said, do all the caches on day 2 for sure

Spoiler about caches on days after 2: drinking Twirine actually increases thr quality of the loot within the revealed caches. I got four shmowders from them in days 5 and 6 after embracing alcoholism.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I like all the kids, but yeah, team Notkin. He's the first ally you make as the Haruspex is both day 1 & 2, so that counts for a lot.

I am also a big fan of how the kids are the only ones who know what they're doing in the town. Everyone is running around like headless chickens while the children are stockpilling medicines and have invented their own cure to the disease from day 1.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXX5vxq0tT0

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I mostly agree with your sentiment, but I think day 11's tamer pace in comparison to day 10 is deliberate. Everything is breaking down at that point, even the plague blew up its load by infecting the kids on day 10 and Aglaya is deliberately trying to sabotage the script, which leads to her death. Even the act structure is broken, as so far we had each act taking one extra day than the others, but then act 4 just continues into its fifth day.

For the endings, in relation to the original, destroying the Polyhedron to save the town was the Haruspex default ending in the original, while destroying the town to preserve the Polyhedron was the Bachelor's. I'd add another layer to the theme, in that Artemy's choice to preserve the town is about saving the people and his list is the kids who are both the most vulnerable and most adaptable characters, also literally the future of the town. Daniil on the other hand thinks he's looking for science and reason when in truth he is looking for a miracle, his conclusion is that it is worth to sacrifice people for the sake of ideas¹. His own list is the town's rulers and elite, who either designed the Polyhedron and/or are best equipped to thrive after the destruction of the town. They are thesis and antithesis.

I also don't think Artemy's ending is the end of all magic and wonder in his world either, like youcallthatatwist says, Taya still hears Mother, the Kains are planning a new transcendental project and the new generation of Mistresses are set to become. I agree with the sentiment that this means the assimilation of the Kin and the loss of the magic of the steppe, however.

Clara's path in the original is the synthesis to the game's argument, as she finds a way to preserve both the Polyhedron and Town (and you can't even play her without finishing the game with at least one of the two boys). I don't know how this will work out in the remake, but I suspect she will try to become a third mistress to balance out Nina/Maria's darkness and Victoria/Capella's light to try to solve the town's contradiction.

¹I think this goes back to Mark's parting comment to Artemy, where he says it was a mistake to have someone who's not afraid of death. He'll probably complain about the Bachelor's lack of compassion in the latter's ending.

And yeah, about Aglaya, I agree that apart from the Farewell sequence I felt her participation was somewhat muted in comparison to the original. I suspect this might also be deliberate, as she's written as realizing she's trapped by Fate and is more concerned with breaking from it than the events of the town. You get a lot of her philosophy second-hand from Grief.

I did like the Diurnal ending a lot, it felt downright optimistic to a point that caught me off guard. I managed to preserve everyone in the Blood group (I also really liked how the kids gradually move from The List to Blood as the game continues), so the kids are all being set up to succeed as the new leaders of the town and Artemy's old friends will continue their lives alongside him. It was very touching to me that Artemy arrived in the town as an orphan and, provided he saves them, concluded the game with a family.

Lopside posted:

I need a Russian literary classics primer because I'm so hungry for more of this crushing, mystical poo poo.

Funny you should say that, because the Ice-Pick Lodge team did make a list of film and book recommendations.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The rolls are random and are seeded in the beginning of the day when the bells ring, confirmed by the devs on their Discord. You'd have to start at least from 23:59 of the previous day to get a different roll for the plague.

woodenchicken posted:

Camus' The Plague has so many similarities with Pathologic, it has to have been one of the inspirations.

I can see some parallels as well, but I feel the plague is very different in each work. For Camus it is a very deliberate metaphor for depression, while in Pathologic I'd say the plague is more about contradiction.

[edit]Actually, I guess, I recall some commentary from some character in the final days that the Plague spared those who had a reason to live, so I guess Camus' metaphor for the plague does apply to the Town as well in a certain sense.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, like day 3 is actually just "walk to the town hall", but it's one of the best parts because the audio is blowing out your speakers and everything is just gone except for the tragedians. It's unsettling and gives an immediate sense of urgency while admitting its totally artificial and just like every upcoming plague area. It rules.

I'd put that as one of my all time favorite gaming moments.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Aglaya is weird because iirc, the Haruspex is the one who's closest to her in the original game.

They seem to be going with "Block and the Changeling have a rapport" again so maybe we'll get more of him in her route.

I'm also hoping for more of the Kains in the Bachelor's route and hopefully a trip up the Polyhedron not hidden behind one ending.

Definitely, the Kains were as central to the Bachelor as the kids are to Haruspex, and the final day shows he ends up as obsessed with the Polyhedron as in the original.

I kind of feel that it will be more in character for the Bachelor to just let people not on his list equivalent to just die, I also have the impression he'll probably have less actual healing resources, unless you can do quests to aid Artemy to be rewarded with some Panacea at key points or the kids also invite Daniil into the game. I also expect his healing procedure to be different, since tinctures are something you can only get from crafting with Artemy and they're pretty central to how the Haruspex treats people.

I thought I'd need a month long break to actually want more Pathologic, but I finished last week and I am itching for more already.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

RBA Starblade posted:

I don't remember, what did the Bachelor do in P1 that Haruspex and Changeling didn't? I thought he made tinctures and stuff in that too.

He mostly got loads of money in comparison to the other characters, he also had a spyglass that could detect infection and was barely used in practice, but no crafting whatsoever. Some of the preview gifs had him using the spyglass, so I guess it might be somehow tied up to his method of diagnosis? The art book commentary kind of suggests that will be the case.

No Mods No Masters posted:

He pretty much didn't do poo poo, he was entirely out of his depth and flying by the seat of his pants the entire time. He imposed some ineffective quarantines of the infected districts and at one point he looked at the plague under a microscope I guess, before getting totally distracted by deepening obsession with the polyhedron. And it owned, very much

[edit] Also this, LOL

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Klingon w Bowl Cut posted:

Spend more on candles.

Then trade them for cat kid-drugs.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

RBA Starblade posted:

I made the panacea by the end of day 6 but didn't talk to Rubin while he was snoozing because I didn't know I could until I hit parity with a playthrough I've been watching for fun - is he doomed now? I never actually found where he was hiding out from the Kin because Grief told me not to worry about it lol

I had a pair last miraculously four days while the cloak and mask blew up immediately :shrug:

The second cloak became pockets and I'm naked now so that's probably not great

If you must know, if you have made and tested the Panacea by the beginning of day 7, Rubin will live, even if you didn't visit him during the nights.

Pockets are the best use for cloaks.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Yeah, one of the great things about Pathologic was introducing me to Theodor Bastard and the impression left during the intro is amazing, definitely one of the best starts for a game I've ever had.

Also.

https://twitter.com/kolyasisan/status/1149927603769348096

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

They are still the plan, but no official news have come on the subject, only rumours.

And congrats! I do share in the feeling of wanting even more of it after it was done. I'd say the ending you get while keeping everyone in the Blood list alive is pretty drat happy after all was said and done.

Lopside posted:

was playing around experimenting with low poly in blender and thought I'd make some 3D fanart of the Tumbler Human / Shabnak-Adyr

I just love the design of this primordial cutie :3:

:same: I'd even get a plush one if it was ever put on sale.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

dylguy90 posted:

We really need an immortel emote

Hilarious to see people losing their minds over a game that has characters, gameplay, and tone centered around literally any original theme. That said I just got killed for the first time in the Abatoire, goddamn I saw 0% of that coming. Like the game warned me but I was fully not ready for any of that. Now not only am I terrified of that entire scene but if I get womped before I can savescum one more time fuckkin director man is gonna hugblock me, which is literally the only death penalty I care about. Playing 30 hours and not being able to hug the sadgirl is crossing the line :colbert:

Having died a lot more than that I can confirm that is the only death penalty that matters.

ZearothK fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jul 21, 2019

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Notkin almost bit it, during the day 10 Apocalypse he was already infected when I came out of the dream, so he got a death roll before I had the time to give him antibiotics. I kept alive all the children and Artemy's childhood friends and, honestly, I think that suffices to guarantee what I feel was a surprisingly happy ending. Everyone else is just icing on the cake. By the way, concerning Grace, what happens to her in the epilogue if both Saburovs are dead? She ended up adopted by them in my playthrough.

Anna Angel can rot in hell for all I care.

I doubt I'll feel a similar pressure with the Bachelor, he's a much more callous character than Artemy and his Adherents in the original weren't a bunch of kids that needed protection, but a group of bastards partially responsible for the situation in the Town. I'll probably be much more lackadaisical about their deaths when his path is out.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

youcallthatatwist posted:

As for the bachelor, my pet theory is that his bound will be different this time. If you look at the people in the Nerves category, minus the kids and the protagonists, they contain the stamatins, Eva, Maria, Mark, and Young Vlad, along with Yulia (who makes more sense as his adherent than as changeling's) as well as Anna (which is surprising, but then the few times she shows up in Haruspex the game emphasizes her relationship with Peter). I think that set makes the most sense if they want to focus on the Bachelor as the leader of the "young idealists" and artists of the town. That leaves the Bones category as Clara's bound, which more or less matches up - Lara, Grief, Rubin, Saburovs, but also the male kains and Big Vlad. That to me puts more of an emphasis of Changeling inheriting the old structure of the town, and having to manage these terrible people and find their redemptions would be pretty interesting imo.

That makes sense, also I couldn't help but notice how in the epilogue Yulia is sitting at the table with the Stamatins and Danii in the Broken Heart Pub, which suggests you're right about where that character will fit in this time.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I think I first heard about Pathologic from the Something Awful Forums, but it was Dissecting Pathologic that got me to play the game (and also put RPS on my radar). I am in the exact same boat as woodenchicken in that their P2 review was the point where I accepted I was done with the shite. That was a typo, but I think I'll keep it there.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

: (

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Star Guarded posted:

Those are some powerful tea leaves...

Twyrine tea is on a whole other level.

I mean, SteamDB is not exactly hiding it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Xander77 posted:

I speak Russian, that's why I asked.

Though honestly, I've never heard that specific euphemism for "once I'm taken to the morgue".

Edit - apparently, "the cold" is more commonly a euphemism for prison. Which just raises even more questions.

drat, that just makes it all the more badass.