Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Any word on when the new DLC is coming out? I want to start a new game but will hold off if the DLC is coming out anytime soon.

Also, has anyone tried any of their tabletop games? Any thoughts?

Last I heard the estimate is in 2-4 months. So I am guessing between March and May.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

They just announced RTW3 in the discord (it was originally planned as a DLC but lol feature creep), firm release of October.

Also it will be on Steam.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Kilonum posted:

Hell just froze over and I couldn't be happier.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Kilonum posted:

They just announced RTW3 in the discord (it was originally planned as a DLC but lol feature creep), firm release of October.

:ducksiren:

Holy poo poo excited.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Kilonum posted:

The lengths Gabe will go to in order to bend grognards to his will :gaben:

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

There is an announcement post on their boards, but it's in some random poster's thread instead of pinned somewhere visible :lmao:

Nice boat pics in the attachment, though.

:steam: and Iron

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Awesome, I have been playing the poo poo out of RTW2 on and off since reading the Russian navy playthrough thread a while back. It was a good primer. Excited for RTW3.

I love me some SAM destroyers near the end game. Also chasing down BBs with my CVs at night laying on the 5 inch blind fire is also fun - my accompanying 45kt screening BB is probably more the reason for the success but still.

Absolutely wish you could click some sort of no pauses button so that when you are done with the battle that has some time to run it can run in the background to completion.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Official announcement of partnership with Matrix Games

quote:

Epsom, UK, August 29th, 2022

Matrix Games and Naval Warfare Simulations are partnering to release the upcoming grand fleet management, design and battle simulation Rule the Waves III. This new cooperation between two of the most renowned brands in the wargaming community will bring new life to a franchise recognized as the best-in-genre by thousands of players worldwide.

“We are thrilled to start a new collaboration with NWS,” said Erik Rutins of Matrix Games.“ We strive to give more visibility to key wargaming franchises and make them available to a broader public, and Rule the Waves has always been one of our favorite series in naval wargaming. We look forward to working with NWS to expand its audience and allow more players worldwide to enjoy this title’s depth of gameplay and accuracy”.

NWS is a US-based developer and publisher of both digital and physical naval simulations. The release of Rule the Waves 3 is the first collaboration between Matrix Games and NWS. The game will release on the Matrix Games store, Steam, and other third-party stores by the end of the first quarter of 2023.

The beta testing phase is starting today and interested players can sign up https://www.matrixgames.com/beta/rule-the-waves-3

Rule the Waves III is a simulation of naval ship design and construction, fleet management and naval warfare from 1890 to 1970. and will place you in the role of 'Grand Admiral' of a navy from the time when steam and iron dominated warship design up to the missile age.

Rule the Waves III will let you design and build the ships of your navy, and lead them into battle when war erupts. You will guide your navy's deployment, construction and operations during a period of great technological innovation and political tensions. While the game derives much of its technology and events from 'actual' history, you will find that you forge your own new history each and every time you play!

Features:
  • Play as USA, Great Britain, Germany, France, Russia, Italy, Japan, Spain, Austria-Hungary, or China.
  • Campaigns start in either 1890, 1900,1920 or 1935 and can run through 1970.
  • Monthly strategic turns with Battles resolved in a realistic tactical naval battle resolution system.
  • Manage your naval budget, and deal with interfering Kaisers, presidents or navy ministers as well as a variety of historical events including naval treaties.
  • Realistic design of ships ranging from corvettes to battleships and aircraft carriers.
  • Research and technical development will determine ship design and tactics.
  • Espionage will keep you up to date on the progress of competing navies
  • Submarines, airships, aircraft and missiles will all appear and change the naval balance of power.
  • Build, train, maintain and fight with your own 'ideal' navy.
  • Construct coastal fortifications, airbases and other defenses

Rule the Waves III Coming Soon!

https://www.matrixgames.com/game/rule-the-waves-3

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Not sure how I feel about that.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

Does this mean that it's going to be stupidly expensive?

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Full-prized for a never before seen full-fidelity game you mean? Matrixtm

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

pedro0930 posted:

Being play this again lately. It's pretty fun and right now I might still rate it higher than Dreadnoughts due to more complete content and way faster pace/simulation. Looking forward to the new DLC.

i would pay like fifty bucks for UA:D graphics and RTW gameplay

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i would pay like fifty bucks for UA:D graphics and RTW gameplay

I hate to say it but it would probably be worth it too. I'd pay double if it had a story engine that dynamically wrote excellent slice-of-life intermissions about what happened, which might sound familiar in this thread.
Then again such a thing, with writing to that quality, would probably be worth infinity more to every book publisher in the world - an unlimited moneynovel making machine

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Haha and just after I found out about and bought RTW 2, too. Probably not going to jump on that right away because I'm still having plenty of fun with Boat Dress-Up Simulator (Also There's Wars) 2. I actually would rather not bankrupt the people of the nation for my shiny boats, but, like, do we NEED an army? We can just give me their funding, right? You should see the kind of boats I can build with that.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Redeye Flight posted:

Haha and just after I found out about and bought RTW 2, too. Probably not going to jump on that right away because I'm still having plenty of fun with Boat Dress-Up Simulator (Also There's Wars) 2. I actually would rather not bankrupt the people of the nation for my shiny boats, but, like, do we NEED an army? We can just give me their funding, right? You should see the kind of boats I can build with that.

Playing, designing, and answering events like the most unhinged, petulant, megalomaniacal boat-person in history is the best part of the game. You're doing it right

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Yeah, only once did I agree that the army should have funding to advance their chances as a roll of the dice on a losing war and they still sucked so I never done that again.

Rather lose a war than give (shudder) the army another dollar in funding.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Electric Wrigglies posted:

Yeah, only once did I agree that the army should have funding to advance their chances as a roll of the dice on a losing war and they still sucked so I never done that again.

Rather lose a war than give (shudder) the army another dollar in funding.

Giving the army money is like lighting the money on fire. Even if they succeed they get you a paltry 1000 VP. The army is the worst.

YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON BOTE FUNDING, YOU WILL REGRET THIS is an important part of RTW2.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Another important part is looking up sea charts in the appropriate language so you can name your famous battles better

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I personally try to pick options so as to ENLARGE THE EMPIRE

More colonies means MORE BASES

BRITANNIA UBER ALLES

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

FrozenVent posted:

I personally try to pick options so as to ENLARGE THE EMPIRE

More colonies means MORE BASES

BRITANNIA UBER ALLES

I tried that as a run once doing the Royal Navy. By the end of the game I'd secured most of Africa, the Med and Asia, but the cost of hideously overstretching the Royal Navy which was suffering from a bad case of being technologically behind without the spare funds necessary to invest in proper modernization, and I was holding the whole thing together with smoke and mirrors and targeted wars against minor powers I could reliably beat up to take the tension off more dangerous potential wars.

Part of that was probably my own mistakes (I'm still not very good at building for cost-effectiveness), but it seemed like an appropriate end to a British Empire that lasted waaaaay longer than it should have.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I don't usually play as Britain but the last time I did I stole Maine and that caused the US to become communist. Maine: Lynchpin of American Capital.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Night10194 posted:

I don't usually play as Britain but the last time I did I stole Maine and that caused the US to become communist. Maine: Lynchpin of American Capital.

Ooh, does the US have a communist boatname list? I'm very intrigued by possible alternate boatname lists.

I've seen the Soviet one because every single Russia game I've played has seen the initial war get dragged out by the hawk party scuttling all peace negotiations to the point of the country falling to communist revolution by 1905 (thus, accurate Russia experience)

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

One problem I do have is that, at least on the settings I have, the rate of ship cost increases scales way faster than your budget does. There's basically no way to build any kind of navy up to size later on -- not just capital ships, but even keeping pace on cruisers and destroyers.

Is there a setting I can tweak to just dump more money overall on me, or is this a problem based on something I'm doing? Or just how the game's designed?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

You can just save edit if you open the biggest file in the saves folder using notepad++ (or normal notepad I guess). It's rather straight forward. Might require some experimentation.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

If I remember correctly the size of the starting fleets also affects the starting budget. You end up with a bit more historical progression of hordes of Bs/CAs --> shrinking number of bigger and more capable BBs/BCs.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

I wrote a real basic primer on the game's economy in the linked post. There's more information available now than there was in, uh, 2016, but the basics still hold. "Fleet size" is a simple multiplier on budgets.

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

I explain a bunch of the RTW1 economy in this post. As far as I know, RTW2 follows the same model. If you look in the almanac, each nation has a "Base resources" and a "From possessions" value. Add these together and multiply by some stuff and you get your budget. Budget +/- events mainly affect the multipliers. Over time, base resources are subject to percentage growth; colonial (from possessions) resources are not. Reparations go into base resources, so point for point they ultimately give you more money than colonies.

Redeye Flight posted:

One problem I do have is that, at least on the settings I have, the rate of ship cost increases scales way faster than your budget does. There's basically no way to build any kind of navy up to size later on -- not just capital ships, but even keeping pace on cruisers and destroyers.

Is there a setting I can tweak to just dump more money overall on me, or is this a problem based on something I'm doing? Or just how the game's designed?

Ship cost rising faster than budget is by design, and you should be seeing your fleets mostly shrink in numbers between 1920 and 1950. You might be getting hit extra hard if you don't design for your budget. Like if you mostly enjoy building super-Yamatos, you probably won't afford anything else unless you're the USA. It's very easy to just crank that displacement up to max and pile on systems and I think a lot of players do it unconsciously. Whether that's affecting you is kind of impossible to say from back here.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

I wrote a real basic primer on the game's economy in the linked post. There's more information available now than there was in, uh, 2016, but the basics still hold. "Fleet size" is a simple multiplier on budgets.

Ship cost rising faster than budget is by design, and you should be seeing your fleets mostly shrink in numbers between 1920 and 1950. You might be getting hit extra hard if you don't design for your budget. Like if you mostly enjoy building super-Yamatos, you probably won't afford anything else unless you're the USA. It's very easy to just crank that displacement up to max and pile on systems and I think a lot of players do it unconsciously. Whether that's affecting you is kind of impossible to say from back here.

I'm mostly thinking about that initial switch from B to BB -- I can never, ever seem to get any amount of BBs on deck no matter who I'm playing, certainly not in the timeframe and timespan where those large fleets were built historically. Scheer had 16 dreadnoughts and five battlecruisers at Jutland; the best I've gotten out of my Germany so far is three BBs and one BC.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

It's tough to get to the historical numbers, generally, but if that's all you can get then you either need to up your fleet size (very large will get you the most historical results) or seriously cut back on your individual ship costs.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

It's tough to get to the historical numbers, generally, but if that's all you can get then you either need to up your fleet size (very large will get you the most historical results) or seriously cut back on your individual ship costs

It's probably up my fleet size; I'm not going to pretend I don't design some fancy-rear end ships but it's mostly just been like Dreadnought-model Dreadnoughts and eight-gun BCs at the early stage. Really I want to tweak to the point where I can have, like, ten-twelve by the end of the WW1 period -- two squadrons of BBs and a single of BCs. That would give me enough hittin' grunt that I can at least do interesting fleet maneuvers.

I also need to figure out what the correct ratio for building CAs in that time period is, because drat if armored cruisers of the period aren't basically battleships in terms of cost and time.

Edit: Yeah I looked back and I've been starting games pretty much all on Medium with a few on Large. That sounds like the ticket, let's crank up this size slider.

Redeye Flight fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 17, 2022

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

RTW3 is now wishlistable on Steam.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
There is also a Let's Play After-Action-Report on theMatrix forums: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11936&t=395003

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Going by the screenshots there are quite a few little extra tweaks to ship construction, we get officers and can assign them to ships, and there are helicopters now.

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord
I'm a little disappointed to see them still sticking with the Windows Minesweeper 1995 asthetic. I understand it's a near-zero budget game, but come on, make it look like some old naval charts or logbooks or something on theme. Steal get inspiration from Silent Hunter III assets if you have to. I can probably tweak it to be less atrocious to my own eyes with some hacks, but ithe default look will turn off plenty of people stumbling across the game that might otherwise enjoy it. I'm still looking forward to it, but I hope they refine things a bit.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
New dev dairy dropped, this time detailing the new features of RtW3
https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2008100/view/3718327459757346105

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

based and cool

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

quote:

* There can be AI vs AI wars without the player nation being involved.

Hot drat!

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Yeah that's one of the biggies, especially if the game extends over 80 years now. Too many games end up with the AIs split between 'perennial punching bag' and 'untouched juggernaut' depending on whether you fight them or not.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

https://nws-online.proboards.com/thread/6786/rtw3-official-release-date-may18

Game is out in two weeks hell yeah.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Super excited for more 90s spreadsheet boat action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Wrigglies
Feb 6, 2015

Looking forward so much to being able to let the battle complete out in the background without pausing while I continue working.