Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Cythereal posted:

The concept art stuff also made the dust terminator creepy as hell because the idea is that it's a terminator that can make more of itself. It's supposed to go around infecting people with nanotech, forcibly turning them into more of itself like a plague.

Conservation of matter doesn't apply to terminators anymore, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I am so confused. What propels him over the railing? He's getting shot, but it's not really altering his path, and then WELP OVER THE SIDE.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

The United States posted:

I think humanity is ready for a terminator movie where skynet is right

Was Skynet ever not?

Neo Rasa posted:

Also definitely worth it for Terry Crews though, incredible work in there.

Cruel.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Hakkesshu posted:

Kung Fury sucks rear end

1000x this. What an awful stupid thing, devoid of a single genuine or sincere moment.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Should have really committed and had Carl and Sarah as married.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Summer Glau doing ACTION STUFF will never not be hilarious to me.

Roadie posted:

That's part of why I really like that one opening scene in Genisys with the T-800. It gives a real good sense of two weighty robots fighting each other with plenty of inertia and a certain amount of clumsiness to it.

Somewhat, but then it's ruined because oh wait, Sarah's been on the hill with a BFG full of magic bullets the whole time, and could have dusted the terminator at any point, but instead we get old Arnie going up and fighting it before that point becaaaaaause... reason?

A terminator getting within reach of you should be instant death. Crush, rip, tear, etc. Not THROW.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Let's just think about how stupid this scene is and what it's communicating:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZnkAElIe_c

1> "I've been waiting for you!" But my partner, who's apparently crucial to this plan, has to sprint, and couldn't possibly have been set up five minutes ago.
1a> "I've been waiting for you!" But I just brought this lame shotgun with three shells.
2> Two terminators fighting get... heavier? And crack concrete?
3> Apparently a T-800 is easily disabled by shooting a particular weak point (wait, weren't there magic bullets or some poo poo?)
4> I'LL TRY THROWING! THAT'S A NEAT TRICK!

I get that you can nitpick any non-ideal outcome or circumstances, but this is a really good example of stupid and spectacle over storytelling.

It's a perfect microcosm of why modern action movies tend to be poo poo. They think of some imagery that would be cool that they want to put on screen and try to backfill plot to make that a thing. It's why the action-y bits feel completely un-integrated into the thin and illogical "plot" that's been built around them.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Halloween Jack posted:

The gun is an anti materiel rifle. That part isn't complicated or gimmicky.

Certainly not, but if the KILLER ROBOT FROM THE FUTURE is easily dispatched with a single ~.50 cal round, it's nowhere near as threatening to an organized resistance army in that future. We've had guns that can dispense similar rounds by the hundreds per minute for quite a while.

Also we assume tiny Emilia Clarke's hands are big enough to hold that rifle and actually reach the trigger.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

HorseLord posted:

Terminators aren't anywhere near as threatening to the future army. They have plasma rifles in the 2020s, Reese made it explicit that he doesn't know if he can defeat one with the weapons he has access to as a crazy homeless man in the 80s.

Hmm maybe so. But that one infiltrator was wicking that base singlehanded.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Payndz posted:

Once James Cameron makes the second movie in a series, it should stop there.

Wait, he's making how many Avatar sequels?

This. Don’t follow James Cameron. It never works.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Neo Rasa posted:

Wasn't Piranha 3D supposed to be pretty good?

Naw, man. Hell naw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

LividLiquid posted:

It's good bad.

It's really bad, but it's good bad.

I think I remember it somehow being mostly boring.