Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

So, I've been playing for a bit. On Chapter 3, just reunited the junk dealer with his artist girlfriend/wife, and I kinda had a revelation.

This game is beautifully zen.

Even if I am just raiding MULE camps to pick up metals and ceramics for the roads, making a trek to move some cargo, or ramping my bike over a ravine. It just feels good to be a part of this weird half-dead world. There is a simple serenity about it that a lot of other games don't really get. Horizon kinda did it, MGS 5 when in free mode had those moments, but Death Stranding just...basks in it's world. It's hard to state how casual and how ever-present it all feels. It feels more like Red Dead 2 with how personal and unique the world feels, inbetween the missions when you are out on the range, hunting or exploring and just taking it in.

A lot of the criticism, I think, misses that. Yeah, the core gameplay is just fetch quests. But the way that everything factors into that, from weight and stamina management to avoiding conflict or finding your route, gives it a lot more depth than a Skyrim quest or the like. That fetch quest will involve every aspect of the game and its world, and it is drat rare to see a game be as all-encompasing than this one is when involving it's goals and missions. And it does it with every mission.

Even a drat pizza delivery made me factor in my load, my vehicles, the terrain I was crossing. It demanded my attention, instead of a few clicks for fast travel and some dialog.

It is not a game for everyone, but drat do I enjoy it so far.

Edit: I also recently got the Anti-BT gun, is there any benefit to shooting BTs aside from not dying?

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 25, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

They drop chiralium. The anti-bt gun is kind of a waste of time because later you get blood bullets for your regular gun.

Wait, wait, You get a real gun?! Holy poo poo, game changer.

I'm currently spending my time rebuilding highways in Chapter 3. Is this worth it or should I continue on with the story?

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I dunno how people don't like Higgs. He's amazing, and his voice acting is also amazing.

"Sound like fun? O' COURSE IT DOES"

It's interesting how NOT weird the game ended up being after the loving what the gently caress feeling the trailers gave off. I mean poo poo IS weird, but nothing is so weird that it doesn't make sense. Everything in the game is explained and is consistent. Like nothing is weird for the sake of being weird.

Honestly, this game makes more coherent sense than MGS4 'Nanomachines, Snake! Also Big Boss is alive' nonsense.

And Troy Baker is at his absolute best in this one. I've only seen Higgs once and he is already one of the best characters. Can't wait to see what he does next.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

The best thing about this game are the automated drones who deliver your stuff. Not for delivering your stuff, but for those cute little beep songs they sing while working.

He is just so proud to be helping :3:

Anyone know where I could find those sound effects? I want one as a phone notification sound now.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

So, just got to South Knot City, and How in the Liquid Solid Solidus gently caress did Higgs get a loving nuke?! Holy poo poo dude, tone it down. Also, oh man Fragile you are a hero...

drat, Troy has some range. Meek delivery man to texas drawl nutjob, he is killing it. And Higgs is an unrepentant monster and it owns.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Just finished up Chapter 4.

Best World War 1 simulation. The chaos, the sound and sight, just driving on because there is no other option. The battle in the Trenches with Tar Dad was also great, lots of cramped lanes, your BT sensor going nuts.

And then it's over and not even a second passed and I am covered in blood.

Good poo poo. Now to deal with Chapter 5 and Mama and Ghost Baby.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

It's also led to people being insular to antisocial as a survival trait, as most people outside the cities/bunkers are bandit clans who want to steal your packages, terrorists who want to kill everything and porters who are decent but kinda loopy at best.

It is telling that the 5-star absolute peak of trust for the non-Bridges bunkers is allowing you a place to rest. It is them opening up to one of those outside whackjobs, an almost unheard-of act in an age where outside is very, very dangerous.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Just finished Chapter 5: Mama. And I think that the bullshit with Malingen dying, while being perfectly fine on the truck ride through the pass north of Weather Station. Did she just lose the will to live? That is bullshit!

And now Chapter 6: Deadman. Dont you hate my baby, Deadman! He is a beautiful baby and he deserves to grow up with a proper Papa, not some fat dude he just peed on. And now this jerk is in my shower!!

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Finished Chapter 6 and 7: War is hell, and Hell is endless war. Also, in traditional US Army fashion, we get the last name up front. Therefor; Unger, Clifford. The rest of his tag would be service (US Army) social security or DOD ID, then religious affiliation.

Also, holy poo poo, Deadman lives up to the name.

Onto Chapter 8, and Heartman's search is both crushing and fascinating. So much for a character in the space of 21 minutes, magnificently played. Refn is great here.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

So, a thing about reviews:

I've seen at least three people ragging on the mission where you deliver Mama over the mountains to her sister, complaining that it's the worst mission ever in the world. But it took me less than fifteen minutes. Ten minutes to get her up the mountain towards the weather station, five minutes in a truck driving over the pass north of the Weather Station. Like, that's it. The mission where you get stuck in a blizzard delivering stuff to the Spiritualist was harder. The Antimatter Bomb mission was harder. It's literally a walk and an easy drive.

Yeah, there are problems, but some of the bitches and gripes that people have are so mind-blowingly stupid. It'd be like people complaining that you have to ride a horse in Red Dead 2 to get anywhere.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

I wish that sleeping had more of an effect. Tried sleeping under a timefall shelter to let the rain pass by, and aside from looking absolutely adorable it dis nothing for my stamina or passing time. Ten minutes just waiting for seemingly nothing.

It'd be nice if I could set an alarm and skip ahead for my naps. And the only timefall shelter I found with a skip option was in BT territory which cancelled the option for obvious reasons.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Doesn't Norman beg to use the bathroom if you're idling and haven't done it in a while in the private room

He also begs for food if you leave him idle and haven't had a cryptobiote in a while. Honestly, Sam and BBs non-vocal actions give them a lot of sincere character and I appreciate it.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Eau de MacGowan posted:

sam's biggest moment of characterization was yeah boyeee

20 dislikes from Heartman.

20 likes from Heartman.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The porters rule and have really detailed behaviors. Like, they panic and run for a prepper shelter or timefall shelter when it rains, they actually make deliveries. Often I would clear out MULE camps for no other reason than to see more of them around.

I feel like Shinkawa was going for a hunter-gatherer vibe for the MULEs and porters that I would like to have been fleshed out more. The MULEs use techno-spears, the porters have walking sticks. I would have liked a bit more depth to the MULEs beyond "lol cargo cult" and as a cautionary tale of identifying too strongly with your job. Give me a MULE social structure, cargo-based religious elements, etc. if they're gonna be in the game.

Have MULEs digging into the sides of mountains with tents over the entrances. Have bunkers complain about MULEs walking up with some other guys packages. Have a throne of cargo with a delivery drone set on top, an actual cargo cult. Give me some weird Nier:Automata poo poo in my Kojima game.

As it is now they kinda just feel...there. Which I get but it is still weird.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

The cutest extinction event.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Neuronyx posted:

Hey, haven't beat the game yet so i'm avoiding this thread for the most part so I'm just poking my head in to ask if there's ever an answer given to why people kept trying to shake Sam's hand despite the fact they loving know they're holograms.

Force of habit.

Also, very early game spoiler here - Sam's DOOMS also maifests as severe haphephobia, a fear of physical contact, which is why he breaks out in hives at the first cutscene. Literally so bad that his body has an uncontrolled allergic reaction to touch. So, he avoids people like the plague because they physically are a plague to him due to his superpower disease.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Beat it and played my first post-game block last night on my path to 5-star every person. Zip-line networks are great. I'll post my ending feelings later, but an absolute contender for my personal Game of the Year.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Justin Roiland got paid to make an ad:

https://twitter.com/Kojima_Hideo/status/1203268935031803904?s=09

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

In the post game. The First Prepper can freakin' bite me. 4 Premier Deliveries at S rank and this chucklenuts doesn't even give me one star or get on the network.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

They give you a shot of Fragile in her underwear, then give her the equivalent of the MGS4 microwave hall to kick you in the gut.

They also avoid the whole 'drop a nudie mag to distract people' by explaining in an interview that people are less into physical intimacy.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

I am pretty sure it has been done already, but I want to get as much footage of people riding the carrier as I can, and set it to 'SuperMan' from THPS2.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Hideo Kojima retweeted this:

https://twitter.com/mega64/status/1204592244067467264?s=19

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

A fun bit about the ending:
As the credits rolled, I asked who Lou was. Who was their mom, their dad? Why did they trigger our flashbacks? What was their purpose?

My wife said 'Does it matter? That's your baby now, that's what's important."

That stuck with me.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

The chiral artist is by all accounts just a photographer/artist Kojima knows IRL.

Yep.

This really was a fan project for Kojima in a lot of ways, since he gets to fill the entire thing to references and outright mentions of the things he enjoys. Movies, music, artists (Junji Ito is the Engineer, of all freakin' people) and mecha figurines.

Not gonna lie, I'm going to hit up a few places I know in Seoul and see if I can find one of those Ludens Astronaut Nenderoids.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I think I read or saw somewhere that the buildings and stuff in city ruins are old PT assets. I dunno how true that is though

Saying as it runs on a different engine (Hills was slated to use FOX while DS uses Decima), I dont think this is the case.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Raptor1033 posted:

Is PT that cool rear end game that almost got made with Guillermo del Toro?

PT was the playable teaser for Silent Hills, which would have been joint-directed by Kojima and Del Toro, with art direction by Junji Ito.

Konami killed it harder than Dracula. It was the fallout from that and the handling of MGSV that led to Kojima leaving to found his own company.

Silent Hills died for our gaming sins.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Cowman posted:

God gently caress Peter Englert.

Forever your faithful servant

Higgs Monaghan

The Pizza missions are the bonus boss of this game. How well can you stack your cargo? What about planning routes, avoiding enemies, using container repair spray and timefall shelters? Okay, now you can't use vehicles, what now hotshot?

Each one more nerve-wracking and taxing than the last. Always under a timer and fragile cargo limit.

Which, of course Higgs, the game-centric nutjob would throw in a bonus boss.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

So, I was out today and went to the model store nearby. I wanted to see if I could find one of those Frame Arms figures, since I thought the design was cool.

I found some Frame Arms Girls. Only the girls. None of the ones from the game, and the cheapest one at 70 bucks, with the most expensive at 110. In a store where they had a Master Grade Wing Zero Custom for about 65 (They go for about 145 on Amazon)

Just....dear lord, man. The thirst is real.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

skooma512 posted:

Just checking, the roads are canned right? Or does the desire line apply to them too and they're procedurally generated?

I've been getting crazy diminishing returns on my likes. I build a road out and I used to get 10k likes, now its' like a 100. This is even when it's fresh.

More people use the Lake-South highway, as it is available earlier, easier to complete and gets a lot more use.

The Mountain way has some breaks in it as is, and by the time you are building that way, most people are using a zipline net over the mountains.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

It does not. Auto pavers only show up on the map once you’ve scanned them. You’re probably missing 15, 16 and/or 17 which are in mule territory.

Two points:

A) You were right! I will accept being wrong and thank you for pointing it out.

B) I was missing 11, 12, and 13, which are north of the terrorist area between the incinerator and distro center. I kept hauling through the terrorists and not going to the pass to the north, thereby missing them with my scans.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

RatHat posted:

Any particularly good rewards from specific preppers/cities I should prioritize getting?

The Chiral Artist's mom gives you Chiral Boots.

Doctor gives you double-size blood bags.

Waystation north of Mountain Knot gives you armor plate which makes the already easy shooting segments an absolute breeze.

Distro Center North of Mountain Knot gives you the Lv. 2 and 3 backup battery for your backpack.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

By the endgame you can farm boss BTs for crystals anyway, which is necessary for finishing the roads. The cost in crystals is pretty much negligible by the time you can mass-print Anti-BT weaponry.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

RatHat posted:

Good god the roads between the Distribution Center and Mountain Knot cost a shitton of materials, the Chiral crystals in particular being a problem. Though I guess I could fast travel around and take all the crystals from shelters.

No no no, don't shake the BB!

The MULE camp south of Lake Knot has Metals by the boatload. The camp north of Distro Center - South Knot has Ceramics. Bring a truck and some non-lethal weaponry. If you can't make trucks yet, steal theirs.

If you have anti-BT weaponry, the areas north of Craftsman, south of Junk Dealer/North of South Knot, north of Mountain Knot and near the Photographer are respawning BT zones. Bring some weapons and blood packs, get caught by one of the 'watcher' BTs by running around, and that will summon a boss 'Catcher' BT.

Kill it until it dies. Profit. All my roads are built, I repair ziplines regularly and use floating carriers, and I still have over 5K in chiral. Once you get the gear and learn how, Chiral farming becomes silly.

The Spiritualist has an old coin backpack accessory that gives a 10% or similar on chiral crystal pickup once you get 3 stars.

And if you beat the game already, Do the Pizza Missions, as you get the Chiral guns from them, which do extra damage. Take those to the ruins south of Heartman's Lab and find the Chiral BTs that spawn a ton on death, and farm there. Blood doesn't work on them, so it is sneaky knifing or chiral shots.

5-starred the Elder, and did the Timefall Farm Pizza Mission, which was a wonderfully tense time until me and Speedy Knees got onto the highway and did a classic marathon to his doorstep

Still well on my way to 5-star everything, still loving it.

J.A.B.C. fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Dec 29, 2019

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

CJacobs posted:

(collectible spoilers) There are people still alive in the game who remember what the world was like before the Death Stranding (and they're not even that old), and they mention World War 1 being over a hundred years ago, which would set the game around 2025 or so. The game does directly mention Trump in basically everything but name via some of the Interview logs. He was the president caught in the voidout in Manhattan, Bridget Strand was his vice president. They don't say it's him, but it's him.

Either way Kojima didn't really say it's 'about Trump', he said it's inspired by the separatist/individualist actions of himself and people like him. Building walls instead of making connections etc.

To be fair, especially recently, there have been a LOT of real-world examples of this trend, so I'm pretty sure it's not a direct dig so much as keeping with the games themes as you pointed out.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Since I cant read Japanese, the best I can offer is:

There is a delay when you use the 'urinate' command that still allows for input, which then gives you an infinite jump, allowing you to essentially levitate over everything. The speed skeleton gives you even more hopping power.

The last trick was just having some fun with the remote launcher.

And people say this game lacks depth.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Some enterprising players have finally figured out what the Bell accessory does. The description claims to have some effect on BTs but doesn't specify what the effect is or even if it's positive or negative. It turns out it apparently causes there to be several times as many BTs floating around in every BT zone as long as you're wearing it. So if you stuck it on your backpack hoping it would make stealth easier or something, bad news, you accidentally enabled hard mode! I haven't confirmed this for myself yet but I'm currently wearing it and the tiny BT zone next to the Photographer had like 20 BTs there last time I wandered through, so it seems plausible.

Lol that owns no wonder BT areas seem worse.

I wonder if it has an effect on Chiral BT spawn rates.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

About 4 grenade launcher shots, followed up by a burst of Chiral Bullets, is the fastest I ever killed one of the squid BTs.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Apparently there's some speculation that Kojima's working on a horror game with Masahiro Ito? That would be rad as hell. If it's true I hope he talks Junji Ito into coming aboard too.

Junji was tapped for Silent Hills and is a cameo in this game, so I imagine that it would be kind of a no-brainer.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Yeah, Kojima + Ito + del Toro is pretty much my dream team collab for a full length horror game, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up just yet. It's bizarre how few good AAA horror games there are, and how many of them seem to just get stuck in development hell or never get past the preliminary planning stage.

Horror as a game genre has always had a sort of rocky relationship, because you have to walk a fine line with a lot of factors.

Agency is a big one: give your players too many tools and options to counter your opponents and it becomes an action game with scary bits (RE4/5/6, Dead Space), but if you take away everything you basically make it a torture fest (Layers of Fear, which I didn't like, Five Nights) that becomes more about finishing it than the scares.

Atmosphere is another, with many of the examples above. Explosions and set pieces become expected and are no longer scary (DS2 is a huge example of this) but drain out the palette or make everything dark and you just get bored (SH:Downpour, Amnesia 2) and if things get too over the top weird and you never have a chance to breathe, then it just becomes silly (Outlast).

It has been a while since I played a start-to-finish horror game, because that balance is really hard to walk. Its why Silent Hill 2 is still considered such a great example, and why modern games like the RE2 Remake have scary moments rather than being an all-out horror game. 'Faith' was a good recent example, as it used a limited set to build a world, then defied it to jarring, stunning effect and made a real struggle with those limited tools.

And, with how PT captured audiences long after it was made unplayable, to the point that 'PT Clones' were a thing, hinted towards that balance in Hills, headed by people who knew how to make it work. It could have failed in a dozen different ways, to be sure. But the fact that we will never know is the true punishment.

Any horror recommendations would always be appreciated.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Yeah, I wasn't saying that Dead Space wasn't a horror game or trying to gatekeep, I was just giving examples as to why AAA horror games are a fine line to walk. DS works on a lot of levels as a good example of a horror action game, especially with how the interfaces don't stop time and how the hectic pace of combat helps to bring up that tension. The first time you fight a necromorph and pop its head only for it to just get pissed off, throwing out known convention, is brilliant.

As for the BTs, they are a great example of agency in action: when you first meet them, they are an absolute terrible force, responsible for all the death and destruction in the world. Even after you get your first blood weapons they still pose a legitimate and creepy threat. But they give you tool after tool to fight them with until they become another resource to farm. Though, I like this development from both a gameplay and a narrative sense: you, as a player, are now stronger and smarter in the face of a threat, and humanity has a real chance to reclaim what they lost to the BTs and hold their own against an implacable enemy, growing stronger for it. It fits the themes of rebuilding and reclaiming greatness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

Such a fun fight. Between curbstomps, smacking him with old Playstations, and then ending on an MGS4 callout.