Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Anyone else get the 20 second ad for the upcoming season of The Walking Dead after reaching the first hub? What the gently caress was that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Romes128 posted:

I was under the impression during the first disposal mission the ropes and ladder was left there by a npc. Mine said Igor and Die Hardman mentioned him on a radio call. Kinda like a tutorial “hey there’s ropes and ladders you can use” kinda thing.
Igor was the previous corpse disposal guy you met before.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
God this game is awful lol.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Macaluso posted:

I think the parts with the BTs could be pretty scary but every 9 year old is different.

I'm really enjoying what I'm seeing so far. Granted I'm not very far in yet, but I think the story and the characters and writing are all perfectly fine. It absolutely nails the atmosphere it's going for

The only things I'm kind of "eh" about right now is A) the having to keep your balance when lugging around certain packages isn't really a fun mechanic and B) I wish directional line from you to the objective took into account an actual route, because I've had to stop and back track and go around a wall or mountain or waterfall a few times
You're supposed to zoom in on the map and plot your own route at the start of every delivery.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Day Man posted:

This is sort of an obnoxious take. People who like things that you don't are deluding themselves? Enjoying arthouse stuff is just self delusion, because you don't enjoy it? I like the feelings evoked in me while playing, so I am enjoying it. You don't have those same feelings being evoked, so you don't enjoy it. Very simple. People are allowed to have different preferences and likes, and the fact that others have different feelings and preferences to you does not make them delusional.
This post is delusional.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Big Scary Owl posted:

Seems like the game is being review bombed on metacritic. What the hell happened?
It's bad.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

And what's with the BTs? Why can't these guys be normal ghosts, just semi-transparent dudes wearing a sheet? Huh? You got an answer for that, Kojima?
Homo Demens

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Panzeh posted:

Take an obvious, conventional trope. Now think of something even more stupid. Welcome to Death Stranding, and what people call "unconventional".
lol

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
But at what cost.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You'll quit out of boredom long before any difficulty begins to set in.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Popular Human posted:

So if that suit with the tiny little hood is all it takes to protect Norman Reedus from the time rain, why can’t I just put a tarp of it over my cargo so I don’t have to worry about it rusting away?
Think about the context rather than reflexively rejecting it.

In the interest of full disclosure, I find anyone saying "why couldn't this artist make their work more conventional?" to be disappointing.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Popular Human posted:

Troy Baker is definitely having way more fun than everyone else in this game.
He's incredible.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Maybe the person knew how to play but thought that having to hold down both shoulder buttons while going slower was a lovely unfun way to play the game.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Macaluso posted:

Why does the baby like when I pee
He's giggling at your tiny wiener.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I hope the game is smart about how it displays the online generated content to the user so that when Timmy gets this game for Christmas he doesn't immediately run into 40 consecutive ladders on the 2nd mission.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

JBP posted:

It does this with great efficacy. The cutscenes are beautiful to behold. The game is art as a picture might be. It doesn't require checkbox what's my motivation characterisation to fulfil its intentions.
Lol

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

CJacobs posted:

The game also doles out stuff built by other players very intelligently. Before you connect an area to the network you can't see other peoples' structures at all so everybody has to hoof it the hard way their first time. But once you do, connecting structures like highways are built slowly as you do more plot missions or deliveries in the area, a giant world spanning highway isn't gonna just pop up as soon as you reach a waystation.
Which makes me wonder if any of it is actually real or if it's just really clever game design to make the world feel like it's being built up slowly by the community. It would be nice if it prioritized items from people in your friends list or something so you could get an idea if it's legit or not.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

redreader posted:

For the 'use a grenade mission': I have like 2000 crystals but I need to collect 'these specific crystals in this location from a BT I kill there'. Even if I kill a BT within the circle and get its crystals it says I have 0 of 100 (it's THOSE crystals it wants, not just any crystals).

I did that! but It said for the mission I have 0 of 100 crystals.

I didn't get killed, I killed the BT. Yes I took all of its crystals

Literally right after I kill the BT and get its crystals I check the mission status and it says I have 0 of the 100 crystals needed for the mission.
Turn them in.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Have you never played a modern AAA open world game? It hits all the standard beats.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

redreader posted:

I've got another question. How is it determined which items appear in your 'tool wheel'? It's not what's hanging on your tool belt 'cos there's only one thing on there. It's a random assortment of stuff from my back, tool belt, etc. In a BT battle I had to offload all of my used grenades for the other ones to appear in my tool wheel. I also can't figure out how to use the (elder item) vog-emitting cargo?
There's pages.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

RBA Starblade posted:

So what if you just mooch off everyone else and contribute nothing :v:
Please we already had the discussion about how the Washington Post covers Bernie 30 pages ago.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Steve Yun posted:

Where you place your cargo affects your balance. If you keep heavy stuff on your left side you will lean left. If you put heavy stuff on the top of your backpack instead of the bottom, you have worse balance because the center of gravity is higher.

You can lean your body on your bike to affect its balance. This will help keep you balanced on tight turns or steep downhills/uphills.

There’s a LOT going on under the hood that doesn’t get communicated in video streams, it’s stuff that you have to feel while you’re playing.
There's a button that does it all automatically.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

JBP posted:

I know you aren't playing the game and are just sniping for some reason, but the terrain becomes more difficult beyond keeping balance later and you can't do this on a long run because you'll run out of stamina. Sure you could do it with a light load and not burn stamina, but in that case you can just sprint.
I was talking about arranging cargo.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
:jerkbag:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

This wouldn't be so valid if it weren't for how well Modern Warfare: Whitewashed War Crimes Edition sold
The new COD has a lower critical rating than Death Stranding does.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

CJacobs posted:

I think you're projecting a smug tone onto his words, as are a lot of people. Pretentious I'll give you, but I really do believe there are a lot of people that WANT him to be the smug auteur with the upturned nose and see it in everything he says.

edit: In this case I think you've turned "maybe they didn't get it" into "they didn't get it because they're inferior to my creativity" when it really doesn't sound nearly that harsh. It's just one paragraph.
I understand it's a translation but he literally says his work "flies higher". I guarantee he thinks them inferior.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Maybe the real reason the game got 2 bad reviews in the US was because he didn't fly high enough to include them in the game.

https://twitter.com/Kotaku/status/1193872691641692163?s=19

(Famitsu gave it a perfect 40/40)

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Uh it got a ton of bad reviews though so........uhhhhh
No it didn't.

American McGay fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 11, 2019

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
7 isn't low lmfao

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Trucks rule for completing roads cause you can load them up with 10 thousand metals and ceramics.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Monkey Fracas posted:

So in the very first body-carry experience in the game helpful souls have already placed a bunch of ladders and ropes and I went right over that drat hill

Is there any info on how the game chooses which players get to interact with each other through shared structures? Obviously they aren't ALL there or it would be a loving mess
I'm sure the game is cleverly deciding which objects to show you based on the story progression and game balance. That's why everyone feels like they see the first few sections of road and then they have to build the rest themselves, because the game won't actually reveal that section of the road as built by someone else until much later.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Steve Yun posted:

You’re on a server with a limited number of people. This way even people who start playing the game years from now will have a similar experience to people now because they’ll be lumped together with other people joining at the same time.

I’m guessing may have scarce or plenty infrastructure depending on if you’re the first or last person assigned to a server.
I don't think this is how it actually works.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I can't imagine a real person putting half of the materials needed for a road into a builder and then just leaving it there. A lot of this stuff is probably highly influenced by the game to control player progress.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Steve Yun posted:

Why am I being asked to deliver a nuke by a sketchy dude

Edit: Why is it glowing
Read the item description.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You recycle mats, not deliver.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Macaluso posted:

Update: I just got here:

Oh gently caress OFF you've GOT to me kidding me
It's not so bad since you're no longer carrying that fragile piece of cargo.

It gets worse before it gets better though.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

0 rows returned posted:

I was watching a streamer do that fight and laughed maybe too hard when he just turned to the right and ran about 20 feet and it despawned.
That's what you're supposed to do.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Macaluso posted:

Ya know, it really is encouraging seeing the "KEEP ON KEEPING ON" sign with the little cheerleader icon :unsmith:

I feel like the social aspects of this game that Kojima set out to do aren't really like anything in any other game, and I feel like they aren't getting enough credit when people talk about Death Stranding. I've seen people compare it to the Dark Souls messages but they aren't really the same
Miiverse existed 6 years ago.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
You can eventually get pouches to put on your backpack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

DalaranJ posted:

Is the third map a similar length to the first map? This second map is much bigger than I expected.
The third map is the second map.