Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what are they? idk the specifics entirely tbh, ive smoked myself stupid. but theyre probably p important i think

anyway the landlord thread was euthanized and the idea of a thread talking about tenants rights that was mentioned seemed like a pretty good one and i dont see one here yet so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRESIDENT LADYCOP
Feb 3, 2019
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR2VDqr9koI

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

a place to poop
a place to piss

a place to drink piss

a place to sleep

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Tollymain posted:

what are they? idk the specifics entirely tbh, ive smoked myself stupid. but theyre probably p important i think

anyway the landlord thread was euthanized and the idea of a thread talking about tenants rights that was mentioned seemed like a pretty good one and i dont see one here yet so

The right to gently caress up my property and I have to just sit and loving deal with it hoping they'll move out when I jack up the rent in a few months APPARENTLY

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i dunno if this thread is a good idea, the amoral monsters really dislike it when you point out that they are evil loving god damned scum suckers undeserving of life

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Tollymain posted:

its the Bill of Rights, but for ants

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
leave the lights on and twist the faucet handles all the way until it stops 24/7

throw wildflower seeds allover the place outdoors in the complex constantly

flick used roaches and cigarette butts in the gutter, really wad it up

track as much dirt as you possibly can indoors and never vacuum

hang up shelves and lots of portraits, on every single wall and cover every square inch in the abode, bonus if its a load bearing wall, do not take them down whatsoever

strip the copper wiring once your lease is up

gently caress your landlord

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

ive never used a cockroach, i didnt know you could. i just let them do their thing usually

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
spill sugar carelessly in your kitchen each time and do not alert pest control

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

frankly david tennant already has too many rights, we should take away some of them

Lastgirl posted:

gently caress your landlord

thanks, but no thanks. i'm good.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 7 days!)

NecroMonster posted:

i dunno if this thread is a good idea, the amoral monsters really dislike it when you point out that they are evil loving god damned scum suckers undeserving of life

yeah but they gotta come to cspam to complain

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Mao had the right idea about landlords.

He had a lot of bad ideas, but that was a really good one.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
a tenants right is to the decapitated head of his/her/their landlord :)

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 7 days!)

here's my problem:

most apartments are owned by some LLC based out of a PO Box in Delaware or some poo poo, how do we execute an LLC? Kill the lawyer who filed it?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
thats the beauty of going directly after the ruling class

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCiYmCVikjo

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
my landlord is a good friend of the family and let me move in without a security deposit and one off street parking space in return for me bringing in the trash dumpsters Thursdays when i get home from work :shrug:

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Chinatown posted:

my landlord is a good friend of the family and let me move in without a security deposit and one off street parking space in return for me bringing in the trash dumpsters Thursdays when i get home from work :shrug:

guess you're one of them now

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Chinatown posted:

This guy gently tucks in and kisses his landlord lol

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Grem posted:

This guy gently tucks in and kisses his landlord lol

hey people around here would sucka dick for a free off-street parking space!

Agronox posted:

guess you're one of them now

nice anime av

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977

Peanut President posted:

here's my problem:

most apartments are owned by some LLC based out of a PO Box in Delaware or some poo poo, how do we execute an LLC? Kill the lawyer who filed it?

the biggest landlord in America is a single private wallstreet equity firm

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
tenants should have the right to "speak bitter" about their landlords and collective their property

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

it's a 'right' you gotta pay for, but it's gonna lack all the violent charm of the second amendment.

meh, at best.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Grem posted:

The right to gently caress up my property and I have to just sit and loving deal with it hoping they'll move out when I jack up the rent in a few months APPARENTLY

if u don't want people to gently caress up property u should live in it

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

When you think about it, all property is theft.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Chinatown posted:

nice anime av

thank you, that's hittori bocchi and she is learning to become strong

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Agronox posted:

learning to become strong

arent we all, arent we all

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
the gbs post your desk thread as revolutionary praxis

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liMlM4rhkkA

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
gently caress th mods

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1960s China Huge Parade, Communism, Propaganda, Cultural Revolution

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

usually tenants have covenants not “rights” such as quiet enjoyment

sometimes there are statutory minimal conditions such as hot water, a toilet and a stove

usually you can’t be evicted without due process

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

always rent from an individual rather than a company because it's a lot easier to track down some motherfucker's home address after he fucks with you than it is to deal with the diffused responsibility of an LLC

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
when i lived in philly for grad school my apartment was a dump. it seemed fine when i moved in, but two weeks later the bathroom ceiling collapsed because of water coming from the apartment above. it took weeks to get fixed, all while mushrooms started to grow out of the exposed wood and studs. when it finally got fixed, it fell down again a few days later because they did not fix the leak that caused the problem to begin with. this happened a few more times over the next month, when the landlord decided to just stop fixing the ceiling, rendering the bathroom unusable. i visited a tenants rights organization in the city once they stopped pretending to try, who put me in touch with a lawyer that would do consultations about landlord issues one time only for $100. he told me the info i needed and i took things over from there.

first i called the city to make an appointment for a building inspector. it took 30 days for them to show up. they knew when to expect the building inspector, so some new drywall could be put up just in time to pass the inspection and fall down a few days later. however, because of all the water and the open wall/ceiling, there were huge problems with mold and insects, which led to a number of other problems that the building inspector recorded as infractions. all infractions were reported to the landlord, with a follow-up inspection scheduled for 30 days later. if things were not taken care of after that 30 day period, he would be given a final 30 days to take care of the problems or face fines. in other words, there was nothing forcing the property owner to fix anything for a full 90 days while i lived in a shithole. i started breaking into a vacant apartment to use the bathroom and shower. i kept developing hives because of mold. turning the lights on in the middle of the night meant seeing dozens of bugs scurry away. it got so bad that i started just hanging out at school and sleeping in my car periodically.

once there was official documentation about specific infractions related to the property, i sent certified mail to the landlord informing them i was going to stop paying rent until the issues were taken care of to my satisfaction. every 1st of the month i would deposit my rent money into a separate account as proof of income and my intent to pay. this went on for about 3 months, until a week before the final inspection, where infractions would mean fines. then i got a phone call from the landlord out of the blue telling me that if i didn't leave in 5 days, he would take me to court. however, if i did leave in 5 days, i could keep my security deposit and all of my withheld rent. i got a uhaul, told the college i had to leave the city on short notice (they were aware of the situation), transferred to an online program, and moved back in with my parents on no notice. the final building inspection was cancelled because the unit was no longer occupied. i think he rented the apartment out a couple weeks later without fixing the problems.

landlords can kiss my rear end

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

man you got a good deal . congrats

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
having known people in similar situations that had way worse outcomes, you're not wrong. but it was the worst period of my entire life and i am very grateful i will never have to go through anything like that ever again

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
how much was rent tho

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

whatis posted:

when i lived in philly for grad school my apartment was a dump. it seemed fine when i moved in, but two weeks later the bathroom ceiling collapsed because of water coming from the apartment above. it took weeks to get fixed, all while mushrooms started to grow out of the exposed wood and studs. when it finally got fixed, it fell down again a few days later because they did not fix the leak that caused the problem to begin with. this happened a few more times over the next month, when the landlord decided to just stop fixing the ceiling, rendering the bathroom unusable. i visited a tenants rights organization in the city once they stopped pretending to try, who put me in touch with a lawyer that would do consultations about landlord issues one time only for $100. he told me the info i needed and i took things over from there.

first i called the city to make an appointment for a building inspector. it took 30 days for them to show up. they knew when to expect the building inspector, so some new drywall could be put up just in time to pass the inspection and fall down a few days later. however, because of all the water and the open wall/ceiling, there were huge problems with mold and insects, which led to a number of other problems that the building inspector recorded as infractions. all infractions were reported to the landlord, with a follow-up inspection scheduled for 30 days later. if things were not taken care of after that 30 day period, he would be given a final 30 days to take care of the problems or face fines. in other words, there was nothing forcing the property owner to fix anything for a full 90 days while i lived in a shithole. i started breaking into a vacant apartment to use the bathroom and shower. i kept developing hives because of mold. turning the lights on in the middle of the night meant seeing dozens of bugs scurry away. it got so bad that i started just hanging out at school and sleeping in my car periodically.

once there was official documentation about specific infractions related to the property, i sent certified mail to the landlord informing them i was going to stop paying rent until the issues were taken care of to my satisfaction. every 1st of the month i would deposit my rent money into a separate account as proof of income and my intent to pay. this went on for about 3 months, until a week before the final inspection, where infractions would mean fines. then i got a phone call from the landlord out of the blue telling me that if i didn't leave in 5 days, he would take me to court. however, if i did leave in 5 days, i could keep my security deposit and all of my withheld rent. i got a uhaul, told the college i had to leave the city on short notice (they were aware of the situation), transferred to an online program, and moved back in with my parents on no notice. the final building inspection was cancelled because the unit was no longer occupied. i think he rented the apartment out a couple weeks later without fixing the problems.

landlords can kiss my rear end

thats hosed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

RBC posted:

thats hosed

it’s literally the best case scenario for a tenant lmao