Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This kind of thing is exactly why I'm giving Shadowbringers a week or two to calm down before I buy the expansion and resub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DrNutt posted:

drat it's really not great to be a level 31 sprout and at the mercy of duty roulette to get past an MSQ mission. Trying to burn through MSQ as quickly as possible and I keep getting stuck in long rear end queues for non-optional group content.

e: all I wanted was to get through bowl of embers before going to work :cry:

You can queue for specific dungeons and trials. Open the duty window (where you get roulettes) and click the specific dungeon or trial you want to queue for. Just be warned that it tends to take longer to get into a specific dungeon or trial than random roulettes, and it won't give you a time estimate.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vermain posted:

It's because she's a villain with believably tragic motivations who is driven and determined to see her vision through. She's flawed - terribly flawed - and those flaws drive her deeper and deeper down the descent to Hell until she takes the final step. It's a pretty classic but compelling conceit, something that stands out moreso in a story where your other two villains share the same backstory of 'poo poo childhood turned them into a grinning anime psychopath'. There's only room for one Kefkaesque villain per FF title, please.

The way I see it, by the end of their stories Fordola blames no one but herself for what she became, and Yotsuyu blames everyone except herself for what she became.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I just got to Leviathan and feeling like I'm really missing out on this new expansion with everyone else :v: (I've been playing about 2 months). My entire FC keeps talking about how good it is and the new zones. I'm the sort of player that loves taking time too, so even when I get to HW I still wanna spend time in Ishgard, see the new zones and hear new music instead of rushing straight through. I'm never gonna see the end of this game

HW is great, you'll enjoy it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nessus posted:

Yeah I think the Steppe is generally held to be the best zone in Stormblood.

Not coincidentally, written by the lead writer for Shadowbringers who also did DRK and Ysayle.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

sunken fleet posted:

did a server explode or something? I've got a 3k queue right now on a server that usually has like maybe 15 people in queue

The servers went down briefly, possibly from a DDoS attack. Now everyone's waiting in queue to log back in.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Edmond Dantes posted:

(First trial spoilers)
Yo, did Feo just use me to steal the loving crown

More like saved you from it, yeah. You're the Warrior of Darkness, not the Fey King.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

My Elezen is named Berteaux, and everyone in my FC calls him Bert for short.

The amount of characters in this game who have "Bert" (Godbert, Nyelbert, Ardbert, etc.) in their names has led to no small amount of commentary on their part. :shepicide:

I named my character an old-fashioned Italian girl's name. Turns out a common low-level enemy type shares that name.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I remember there was an enemy somewhere that had a name like a person. I can't remember what it was, though.

In my case? Aurelia. Turns out that's what this game calls its flying jellyfish.

Someone usually comments on it whenever I get Sastasha for lldr.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

They were lesbians, Harold.

FF14 Shadowbringers: They were lesbians, Harold.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mordiceius posted:

I have a sincere question for you because I am genuinely curious - can you name me a piece of media, be it game, tv show, or film, that has a fat antagonist that you think the media handled well?

Daredevil season one, the Kingpin.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Vermain posted:

Everyone in this story is a cop on their last day before retirement wearing a bulletproof vest they've never told anyone else about. I'm pretty sure even Ran'jit hasn't completely bit it; one of the random Eulmore soldiers mention that Ran'jit has merely disappeared, something that'd be awfully hard for a corpse in the middle of the Canopy to do.

It's been creeping around the discord that a dungeon was cut for time that would have been an assault on Eulmore, with Ran'jit as the last boss. Supposedly the two other bosses would have been the jester twins and some kind of aquatic sin eater.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MechaX posted:

Yeah, that was why I was able to swallow Ran'jit a lot better in comparison. With all of my fights with him, I never felt completely outclassed, but rather "man, this dude is loving tough and this is a close match." Zenos spends the entire game going "NOPE", shrugging off all attacks for the entire expansion, and then gets bodied at Ala Mhigo unceremoniously.

Even then he just says NOPE and walks off to go join with Shinryu. And isn't remotely dead even now.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pigbottom posted:

But I do have another thing to bitch about, and it's the lvl 74 tank role quest: I am supposed to go to eulmore when I am actually one the most wanted people in eulmore, which for me sounds like a really stupid idea and, worst, no one even acknowledges it. The story this expansion is just so good and it really doesn't deserve such a clumsy "co's videogames" storyline thrown in there to mess it up.

Lady Chai tells you on your way out that she's using her connections to ensure you can come and go as you please despite Vauthry's tantrum.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

This is crazy to read -- from a distance healers seem way more complicated than DPS! Maybe 'complicated' isn't the right word, but having to juggle the well-being of everyone on your team seems like it's a very tough thing to do. Plus, healers also seem like a more anxiety-ridden class to play; if you gently caress up a bit as a DPS it's not THAT big a deal, but messing up as a healer seems way way worse.

The trick is to not give a poo poo whether anyone lives or dies. And to let someone die if they annoy you. Or they're a catboy with the last name Nunh. Or you don't like their glamour.

You have the power of life and death over pubbies. Enjoy it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

isk posted:

I'm good with Zenos as a villain because he's clear and uncomplicated, and I think that works in the FFXIV rogues gallery. If every villain is sympathetic and complex, the story can get muddy and exhausting. It gets into GoT syndrome where it's hard to know who to root for. Can work in an experience where the audience is a witness. Games - especially ones where the player character is an upright protagonist - have different goals & expectations.

Also yes the VA kills it

I think the bigger issue is that Zenos just can't carry a story. There's almost nothing you can do with him as a villain but fight him or invent reasons not to fight him, and fighting him got old real fast in Stormblood until the plot finally said we were allowed to beat him this time WHOOPS NEVER MIND.

That kind of limited and shallow villain can work fine for a bad guy's lieutenant or enforcer, but only when there are more interesting villains in the ensemble to do the bulk of the story's work.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Freshly taken.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
And that is Shadowbringers. Quite the ride. Best MMO story I've ever played? Quite possibly. A drat good story by any measure.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alakaiser posted:

Unrelatedly, end of MSQ spoilers: I'm totally cool with Emet-Selch being killed off and don't want him to come back. His arc was great and he's the best antagonist the series has had by a considerable margin, but I wouldn't want his arc to continue. Like, I'd love to listen to him talk and snark more. Where I land though is that I think this is a place where "leave the crowd wanting for more" is the right play. Someone like him could so easily wear out his welcome with prolonged exposure.

My only issue is that I think SE is going to have a hard time making the Ascians more engaging than they have just now been. I think 5.0 would have been terrific as their swan song, the emotional climax and denoument for the Ascian plot. It's so good I have my doubts that Elidibus can carry the Ascian plot forward as well as Emet carried this expansion.

I'd love to be wrong, though, and SE definitely earned the benefit of the doubt back from me.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kurieg posted:

I liked the idea that We're the 14th member of the Ascian council, and/or we're Emet's friend who talked to us while we were waiting.

I'm pretty sure it's not the latter, because Emet's friend straight up wonders if Emet's realized how strongly you remind him of "him/her" (depending on your gender). If we weren't the 14th member of the council, we still were apparently someone notable and powerful in Amaurot, and seemingly a close friend of Emet.

I took that to be why Emet takes us fighting against him so hard. In the age past that Emet's trying to bring back, we were one of his peers and closest friends, but now we're fighting against him.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Magil Zeal posted:

It's somewhat unclear. It was established that in XIV, souls are "recycled". If someone dies, their soul returns to the lifestream until it's reborn into someone else. So it could very well be that every soul that exists in the current time also existed at the time of Amaurot. We may be "special" purely in the sense that we were a high-ranking citizen of Amaurot. But not a lot is made clear about the lives that came into being after Zodiark, save that Hydaelyn exists to protect them. Are those the same souls as those who died in the calamity? I don't think that was clearly answered.

My impression is that the split souls are the Ascians who were alive at the time Hydaelen was summoned, given that dividing worlds and beings is established to be her gimmick. We don't know how widely the Ascians were spread, if they were confined to Amaurot or if there were other civilizations in the world - we know there were inhabited places besides Amaurot, but not whether they were Ascians or some other race or civilization. Given the nature of population growth, it's quite possible that there are lots of genuinely new souls around.

My personal theory at this point is that everyone with an Echo is a shard of someone from Amaurot who was alive when Hydaelen was summoned, and that the Echo is rooted in a collective unconscious mind and memory of everything that one soul has learned and experienced throughout its existence across all its shards. But because of the way the sundering worked, those with the Echo on the Source inherit the combined power of the Rejoined shards.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Ohtsam posted:

This ties in well with it being called the echo because those who have have souls that are echos of those from the distant past

And from other worlds. It would even explain nicely how the Warrior can master every trade and combat style so quickly: their soul has been every trade and way of fighting, even if they're not consciously aware of it. You're not so much learning new classes as remembering them from past and alternate lives.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

World War Mammories posted:

yeah, they say explicitly "we still gotta figure that out but it can wait for now" in the denouement

And they're sending you specifically back to fill in everyone on what's happened. That's a hell of a meeting with all the national leaders we didn't get to see...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair "Everyone almost died through magic bullshit, I stopped it is like every Tuesday for the WoL.

I'm thinking more along the lines of trying to explain Amaurot and the origins of the Ascians, Zodiark, and Hydaelen.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Draxion posted:

Did they every mention whether we're in a particularly sustained part of time syncing up, or are the twins going to be like 35 by the time we get them home?

The Exarch specifically says that for the foreseeable future time is flowing at the same rate between worlds, yeah.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Eimi posted:

Yeah like that's amazing lore analysis itt and I didn't think I could love the story more, but I was wrong.

Though, this came up with some friends and I just want to add my own analysis onto our favorite Ascian's character. Namely that saying that Emet views himself as a hero, is ultimately right I think. I think there's a running theme that in some way he doesn't actually believe what he says. For example when he says that everyone is a half shade he could sweep away and it wouldn't be murder. He says that but...he doesn't do it. I think his story arc and ending is ultimately him coming to the realization that even if his dream is in some way noble, how he's doing it is abhorrent. That's why he's so focused on 'testing' you. He doesn't really believe that everyone is a half shade. His conscience was catching up to him. And at least I feel at the end he understood, truly, what he was doing.

I'm inclined to agree, especially as I like the theory that we were the 14th member of Amaurot's ruling council. We were one of Emet's closest friends and most respected peers, and I suspect Emet briefly seeing us as an Ascian reminded him painfully of Amaurot's final days: we disagreed with him then, too, and struck out for what we believed was right rather than trying to save Amaurot. Eons later, and here we are again face to face with him, and we're still doing the same thing, fighting for the same beliefs just as he is.

I get the feeling that at the end, Emet finally realized we were right. We were right when the Final Days began, and we're right this time, too.

I really wonder if the story's going to dwell on us being an Ascian. It's never explicitly spelled out, but I think the WoL could put the pieces together. At least how I imagine the WoL, she's spending a lot of time in Amaurot and undergoing a hell of an existential crisis right now.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wasn't it mentioned that Emet-Selch's office was "Architect"?

Yes. Emet was the Architect, Elidibus was the Emissary, and Lahabrea was the Speaker.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Another theory about the Greek loves and the bosses is that they're also emblematic of the Warrior of Varying Illumination's relationship with the central character(s) of each zone.

Philia, the love of friends, is the Warden of Lakeland and the Crystarium - who else but the Crystal Exarch demonstrates the depth of friendship with the Warrior, and by the same token the Warrior's burgeoning friendship with the whole Crystarium - even the whole of the First, given that Philia is the first Warden you fight.

Xenia, if you roll with the idea that that's what Titania represents, strikes a chord with both Feo Ul and Urianger. Il Mheg is literally Feo Ul's home, but the Warrior's association with being a guest in Urianger's home goes all the way back to when the Warrior was first invited to join the Scions in ARR. Urianger is the one who lives full-time in the Waking Sands, and he's the one who takes care of it even after the Scions mostly move on to Mor Dhona.

Eros is something more passionate and fiery than the other kinds of love, and even if you don't ship Y'shtola and the Warrior (it was a friend saying that Eros representing this zone and Y'shtola was indicative that they're the OTP that got me thinking about this more broadly) her relationship with the Warrior certainly has been more lively than the Warrior's relationship with pretty much everyone else. There's sass going back and forth between them, Y'shtola is one of the few Scions who routinely says what she means to the Warrior's face. Also don't forget that Y'shtola is blind, and sees the Warrior by their aether - and Eros is the love of beauty.

Storge is the zone of Thancred and Mini-filia, and there's a strong theme of the Scions being a family throughout Shadowbringers. The Warrior is less consistently and overtly a potentially rival parental figure to Mini-filia, but of her three main potential parental figures, the Warrior is the one who doesn't try to shape her, and just listens to her and tells her that they'll support her no matter what.

Agape, the love of charity, is the zone of Eulmore and Alphinaud. I think it's fair to say that whatever your feelings about Alph, he's hosed up a lot over the years - and the Warrior's forgiven him and helped him grow. The Warrior is the hero fighting for everyone, even those who have made mistakes like Alph and the people of Eulmore.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

TulliusCicero posted:

Lahabrea can't even hold a candle to Emet-Selch. It seems like out of the three "Unsundered", Emet is by far the most powerful while Elibrius and Lahabrea resort to scheming and plots, and body snatching to get things done ( and Lahabrea made the ultimate mistake of confronting you directly at full power, something that Emet himself says was stupid).

Emet directly tells you in an optional conversation that body hopping - either creating a new body from raw aether or possessing a body - takes a major toll on an Ascian. Emet's stuck with the Solus body, using Allagan cloning, for thousands of years which has meant he's not had to waste any effort making or possessing new bodies. Lahabrea was constantly body hopping, and that massively drained him of power by the time he faced you. Lahabrea in the full of his power is on the same scope as Emet, but he's a moron so he drastically weakened himself.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kurieg posted:

Important rocks that are used in the weapons, at least the BLM weapon is sporting Nylebert's crystal in the little open recess.

Lammit's is used as the head-piece for the WHM staff, which blooms into a flower when drawn:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Gruckles posted:

I think they're hopeful that the WoL and others with the echo would eventually come around to the idea of "yeah this power is pretty great, we should just let the last few rejoinings happen so we can be whole again." Which is somewhat foolish considering they're presumably reincarnations of the ones that summoned Hydaelyn in the first place.

I don't think Emet and friends knew exactly who the Warrior is a reincarnation of. They know she is one of them, but Emet's friend in Amaurot asks you if Emet's realized who you are yet - then theorizes that Emet's been unusually friendly towards you because you remind him so much of someone in particular. I think it's only at the end when Emet briefly sees the Warrior as an Ascian that he realizes who she is, and he dies before he can tell anyone else.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SirSamVimes posted:

Or maybe tempering from the Big Two just works differently. One of the big things about Emet in ShB is that he never lies to us, why would that one statement be the exception?

Emet may never knowingly lie to us, but I don't think he's an unbiased source of information either. I would absolutely believe that he's not tempered, but he tells himself that he is - and may even sincerely believe it - as a way of coping with guilt.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Clarste posted:

To be fair, Emet also implies that conflict and war are also a result of a the shattered souls making humans less rational and reasonable. The inhabitants of the original world lived in complete peace and harmony, and every last one of them was willing to sacrifice themselves for the greater good. So in that sense they were more moral.

If what Emet claims was even the truth. He was one of Amaurot's leaders, I have a sneaking suspicion that he wasn't the most objective observer of events - remember that one of the Council, implied to be us, resigned from the Council when the others decided to summon Zodiark.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nessus posted:

In the sense of being the only "good potato character," no, there are others.

In the sense of being the only bad motherfucker potato who isn't a wizard? Yeah, basically.

If dwarves count, there's Giott on the First.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

cheetah7071 posted:

One thing I didn't get in the story

So is the WoL like 7/14th of a full unbroken person while everyone else is 1/14th? Why/how did this happen? When Ardbert powered us up, was he bumping us up with 8/14 ? And I guess that extra bit was the bump needed to be able to successfully handle to light? Was this temporary or do we permanently have his power?

These questions have probably been asked a million times but I unbookmarked the thread to avoid spoilers

In short: We don't know. It's ambiguous and there's no clear answer.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think some of the conformity and sterility of Amaurot, though, comes from their creation magic. When you can literally make anything you can imagine, the material world would quickly lose interest for most. Material possessions were meaningless to the Ascians because they could simply make anything they wanted. I think that's why they seemed to prize scholarly pursuits like science, magic, and debate far above more traditional careers and professions - they're an entire civilization of monks who have transcended the need for material desires.

This and more - including the very name Amaurot - are all nods to Thomas Moore's novel Utopia.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

TulliusCicero posted:

All of this stuff makes me think our version is sterilized from someone who has a very biased view

Utopia is never a true Utopia in fantasy or science fiction; somewhere, poo poo was hosed

I'm pretty sure that's the point. It was the point of the book, too. Utopia was a satire. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nessus posted:

On your topic,

First off, it would've probably killed everyone on the First; the Exarch might have done that if you'd actually died or whatever I guess, but at that point it's all theorycrafting alternate universes. Generally speaking FFXIV does not endorse the American-beloved trope of mandatory genocide. The entire plan ultimately was to get that Light away from the First, you wouldn't have solved our personal problem by cramming more darkness into us. They're not matter and anti-matter, the entire ascian murder thing "expends" the energy to gently caress up a fool rather than it just being a question of dropping a super Kamehameha on them.

My impression was that the First was hanging on largely thanks to the efforts of the Crystarium and, before Vauthry, Eulmore, which were maintaining the status quo Minfilia created by power-diving in and arresting the Flood. Fighting the sin eaters was at least stalling the decline even if it was a holding action due to the lightwardens. The Vauthry scheme was to get enough people living indolent and static lives in Eulmore, or focusing on entering those indolent and static lives, that the places they abandoned could gradually melt into the Light; eventually this would reach critical mass and the First would fully collapse.

My impression was that the plan for Eulmore was that between making everyone hopeless and dependent on Eulmore, and Vauthry's influence, the meol scheme would eventually hit critical mass and Eulmore if not all of Kholusia would be drowned in the Light as everyone morphed into sin eaters. Once Kholusia's gone, I think the rest of Norvrandt would fall.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BisbyWorl posted:

The moment Emet talked about how being in Lightwarden areas weakened him I knew all that Light we were taking in would play a part in the inevitable fight.

I twigged to it the moment Emet said "Actually, go right ahead and kill all the Lightwardens! I'll help!" I kinda wanted a dialogue option to immediately turn to the Scions and Exarch and go "Y'know, an Ascian wants us to do this. Therefore, shouldn't we give serious thought to not doing this?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I felt the need to record this dialogue option. Grim and heavy as Shadowbringers' story is, they also nail the comedy.