Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

SardonicTyrant posted:

It's kind of amazing they managed to put together a decent show out of the shitshow that is the comics.

The comics aren't awful in terms of the overarching plot. Ennis just needs someone to enforce brevity and service to the plot on him, because it's when he's allowed free rein to digress that things go to poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Bigoted and astonishly hateful seem like strong words...

On an unrelated note, I ordered an old one-off from a vintage comix distributor based on this thread’s recommendation (saying it was ultra-violence done well) and... uh...it came in today

Well, if you can figure out exactly which 80s action movie it's a parody of, please do tell.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Swollen Member posted:

That also means that when you have a mute character like La Femme, well, obviously you're not going to get a lot of mileage out of her. In the books she's pretty much defined by Frenchie, who's a very unreliable narrator. (As witnessed by his telling of his own origin, which - sadly - I'm 100% sure won't make it into the show, as it has gently caress-all to do with superheroes). They've fleshed her out a bit in the show, which is all for the better. Frenchies telling of her origin is basically him riffing on Aliens and Asterix and blubbering over how misunderstood this little girl is - who BTW likes to pull peoples faces off. Not much to misunderstand there.

In the comics Frenchie is explicitly lying about everything when it comes to the past. It's a meta-commentary about superheroes and origin stories; Hughie feels like he needs to know, so Frenchie tells him something to keep him happy. But the real Frenchie and the Female only come out when the two of them are alone together, most notably in issue 21 where he catches the Female on one of her hit jobs. He says this:

"I know it is not for the money. I know it is because you cannot ... not. You think this way is not so bad, because only bad men suffer. But it is not so simple. It keeps a terrible thing alive. [...] And it is bad for you, to do it for no reason. For your heart."

And then he buys her off with a bag of chocolate limes. That scene basically sums up everything about the two of them. Frenchie met a horribly damaged person and his heart went out to her, and he's been trying to mend her ever since. The crazy games he plays with her like reverse strip poker aren't because he's crazy like Butcher thinks. It's a deliberate reverse of the relationship between Leon and Matilda in that movie; he's trying to give her childish things to replace the childhood she didn't have.

But the other is more memorable, so that's what people take from it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I never could figure out if all the terrible French was part of the character or Ennis not bothering to learn any french.

It's deliberate. As per his false origin story, he's from a place called Franglais. Let's Parler Franglais is a famous series of humourous articles about speaking a bastardised mishmash where you say the French words you know in a British accent and use English for the rest. For example, Let's Parler Franglais Again! begins thus:

LESSON UN: LE SAILING

Capitaine: Welcome aboard, vieux chap! C'est votre premiere visit dans un boat?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

That Italian Guy posted:

You really shouldn't and Herogasm is peak Ennis. We really don't need it at all - nor that I think the show would go that way in any case, the sleazy night club in s1ep1(?) was enough to show that supes have secret vice enclaves and that they are hedonistic shits.

Herogasm should have been one issue in the main run. It didn't need its own loving miniseries.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

I’d never seen Dominic Cummings in anything before but I loved his take on Jesse and only really watched because of him.

*snort*

Dominic Cummings is the advisor to British PM-in-name-only Boris Johnson. You're thinking of Dominic Cooper, who plays Howard Stark in the MCU. If you haven't seen him in anything before, I recommend The Devil's Double, in which he plays Uday Hussein and Hussein's body double.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Not really, there's quite a few that are shot while the season is going. Supernatural cut the season short as did basically all the dc shows since the pandemic hit and they weren't able to film anymore.

Supernatural has two eps left to shoot and they're returning as soon as it's safe. It's still a good example though, because it's old enough to have had a season lose the back nine in the last writer's strike.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

That's partly due to the show premiering when TV shows had a vastly different model for how episodes were supposed to work, though. The reason that the best episodes were one-offs is that almost every episode was a one-off. If you look at the number of X-Files episodes that actually advanced the metaplot, it's usually only 4-6 each season, and usually several of those could be mistaken for monster of the week episodes with guest appearances by the Cigarette Smoking man or Deep Throat. And that was considered to be heavy serialization, for the time.

Babylon 5 is the opposite end of the spectrum, where the serialized episodes are almost universally remembered better than the mostly one-off episodes, although every episode usually advanced the metaplot at least a little.

Which is why it amazes so many people that the two shows both premiered in 1993.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

If there's any upper limit to his super strength/eye lasers I guess if you could collapse a sufficiently large amount of earth on him, like by luring him into a deep cavern?

The thing with that is, it's unlikely that Homelander's upper limits have ever been tested. And even if they were, he could have been purposefully holding back. That's what happens in JM Straczynski's Supreme Power, where the US Army unit in charge of Project Hyperion starts making plans to kill Superman-analogue Mark Milton from the moment he's found. Mark conceals his ability to fly for as long as possible, and eventually refuses to submit to further testing on the very good basis that nobody can make him. When they finally try to dispose of him as a threat, they use a nuke - and it's not enough. Vought have the same problem: they don't know exactly what they've made, and neither they nor Butcher can afford to be wrong if they go against him.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Can superman get cancer or STDs?

He is rendered vulnerable by pink Claptonite.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

The Shazam movie was pretty drat good FWIW. I wasn’t expecting to like it at all but it was quite fun.

Shazam is known as the Big Red Cheese, and they made the very wise decision to lean hard into that for the movie.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Man he's stupid... Did he just expect them to stop? Does he even know how boats work?

Very much so, yes, and possibly not because he can ride loving whales, why would he need a boat?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Meatgrinder posted:

Strange, I do not remember this at all. I did give up on it when the cast got switched out, though, so it might have been in the last two series. I'll have to do a binge of the whole show some time, see how it holds up.

It was in the post-S2 special, which I think also introduced the Power Broker.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dave Angel posted:

It was the sixth/last episode of Misfits S2 that had the milk villain, the post S2 special was the Christmas one with the guy who bought a bunch of their powers from the broker.

I admit that it's been a while since I watched it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Supreme Allah posted:

New clip -- this one has what may be considered some spoilers about the 7s group 'dynamic' but nothing major. Still still if you like to GO IN FRESH!! you may want to avoid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye8I1-CmRF8

Definitely avoid, it sets up something that I had suspected but is now obvious.

I did like that even when the Deep is at his most pathetic, he still can't help but set up sexual innuendos with women. "My route (root) is long and hard", indeed.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Just saw a photo from S2 that I don't think we've seen before. No spoilers, but: owwwwww.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bertha the Toaster posted:

You just going to leave us hanging then?

It's in a print magazine. But to describe it.

It's the Female ripping off a guy's face with it still partially attached to his head.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

Season 2 casting spoiler- Shawn Ashmore joins season 2 cast as Lamplighter Not surprising with how much Lamplighter was name dropped in season 1.

I knew that person was in the show, and some of what they'll be doing, but not who they were playing.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I wonder if they’ll still go with the V-Zombie thing with that.

Spoilers for S2, read at your own peril:

From what I have heard, the answer is no. I was very surprised when Ashmore turned out to be that character, as I had seen him described only as "a mysterious figure connected with the Seven" and that he will be working with the Boys at one point.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

That Italian Guy posted:

Not half.

Did I hear that Vas was actually going to be in the show, though? Or was that just the guy who got confused with the Black Widow trailer and thought David Harbour was playing him?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Yea, the character he's playing is sort of the OG superhero in that world. I think literally the first one.

Kinda like when Batman first showed up with purple gloves, a gun, and just killed people instead of giving em brain damage with sharp metal throwing knives. Or I guess maybe The Phantom?

Spoilering just to be on the safe side. Complete conjecture on my part, but better safe than sorry on this kinda stuff.

The world of the comics follows the modern Marvel world more closely than DC. So it has their Captain America created as the world's first superhero and then the formula is lost until VA develop Compound V and make the Homelander - or at least, that's the story people are told. The reality is that Stormfront is the first superhero, created by the Nazis who brought the superhero formula to America after the war. The original Soldier Boy died in his first engagement along with all the other American made heroes because they were publicity stunts, not soldiers. He's since been replaced twice, with VA pretending that the current Soldier Boy is still the original.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ccubed posted:

That's a fun show, but I'd describe it as Cinemax's version of Justified. That's going to be right up some people's alleys. But not others.

Yeah, I watched the first episode of Banshee and that was more than enough for me. But Thursday can't come soon enough, especially if I still get paid for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

DogsInSpace! posted:

Butcher? He's unhinged. Maybe I'm reading that guy wrong but, before he found his wife in s1 finale, I was wondering how much he really grieved her and how much he used her to justify his own violence.

In the comics, this is explicit. Butcher has always been a violent rear end in a top hat, in part because of his abusive father. He joined the Army because the alternative was prison and fought in the Falklands War, which didn't help; it sometimes gets disparagingly described as "the weekend war", but it did gently caress people up, and around the 30th anniversary it came out that more Falklands veterans had since committed suicide than actually died in the war. He met Becky when he came out of the Army and he used his love for her to control his violent side. And after her death, as you said, he used that love to justify letting it out again. But he was genuinely grieving, which is why he came up with his final plan. Success meant dying himself, and that wasn't as much a price he was willing to pay as part of the object of the exercise.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

The Deep’s sequence with Patton Oswalt is one of the absolute craziest scenes of television I’ve ever watched.

People keep mentioning Patton Oswalt's scene, but I have no idea what he looks like so I don't know which one it was.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Mat Cauthon posted:

Yeah that's what I was referring to.

I'd bet the same - she's Liberty's descendent, raised in a "normal" (racist) family and yet came out just as hosed up as Homelander.

Would that stop HL from killing her though? Doubtful. She'd just be a reminder of what he was denied and the inherent corruption of what he sees as his (manufactured) godhood.

There is one reason to believe that Stormfront may be Liberty. The supes aren't military, but her outfit has US flags on the arms in the position and orientation that you'd find them on an Army uniform.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Karl Urban looks like he's having the most fun of his career, and it's been an eventful career.

I really didn't like Urban as Eomer in Lord of the Rings and of course the whole of Chronicles of Riddick was a waste, but he's been continually super solid since getting cast in Star Trek where he's a perfect DeForest Kelley. Then he does Dredd, the much underrated Almost Human, and now this.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

The only thing I will miss from the comics (since they went an incredibly different route plot wise and character wise), is Hughie taking a poo poo in tek knight's batcave thing, since he code locks the bathroom door for some reason.

I can't really think of a singular other thing in the comic series that was worth all the other dumbass EDGEDOM crap they threw around.

"Je t'aime. From the first."

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

I just got done reading the comic series and this hits hard.

It's a brilliantly timed piece of writing. Frenchie is touching the Female when he says it, and she doesn't let anyone touch her. In fact, I'd say that the entire relationship between those two is the best and most subtle thing in the comics. The scene where they're alone together when Frenchie goes to collect the Female after she performs a hit and he brings her back to normality with a bag of chocolate limes. Butcher thinking they're nuts for playing stupid games when it's actually an inversion of the relationship in Leon - Frenchie is trying to help the Female be a child for a little while because she never had the chance. They are clearly going down that route in the series, with Frenchie teaching her to read and write, just without him being a loony about anything that isn't her. If it goes all the way to the original end it's going to be a huge emotional payoff.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah that's fair. But its not like that was homelander lasers. So I guess some other supe? But then again the question, why not the boys?

But I guess its meant to be an obvious mystery. Just seems like the boys should discuss how loving weird that was.

Without Rayner the Boys have nothing. They're five fugitives from the law with no resources. Why should Vought care about them?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

Comics:
I'm pretty sure that they are going to go with the Noir reveal after the super terrorist villain exploded and he was unharmed.

That didn't happen, though. Black Noir was definitely harmed by the blast, and it wasn't even a big enough blast to ruin his whole costume.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

They killed Translucent. The boys are literally the only threat that exists to them at all on the planet. Even if a minor threat, why let that linger?

They were able to kill Translucent because they were able to take him by surprise - you've acknowledged this. As far as the Seven knew the Boys were disbanded; Mallory had retired; Butcher no longer had access to her files or to Rayner. But now the Seven are forewarned, they don't think Butcher's crew are any threat to them at all.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

When Starlight first meets the rest of the 7 Homelander tells everyone to talk about who they've helped since the last meeting and he asks Black Noir to start, so presumably he speaks off screen. Or he communicates through pantomime, which I assume is the real answer.

Or he just sits there and does nothing, which would be equally appropriate.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

LadyPictureShow posted:

For anyone curious, here's what the Stormfront ones looked like

Even if we give them credit for not being online enough to know about Stormfront, how can anyone be so loving stupid as to design a shoe with a literal Nazi eagle on the side?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Pawn 17 posted:

It was really dumb to name her that tbh. Some writer thought it would be a cool hint to extremely online people and I'm sure he or she thought they were being very clever. Meanwhile all the other fans are searching for stormfront on google because for the first 3 episodes she is being played up like the too cool for school badgirl sup.

The character was called Stormfront in the comics 15 years ago.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

That Italian Guy posted:

Extremely hidden (spoiled for nazism)

Spoilerless spoiler: Ennis baad.

There are many things that Ennis can be criticised for, but making a Nazi a villain isn't one of them.

But yeah, it's completely overt that Stormfront is bad in the comics. The show has really dropped the ball by initially trying to make her seem cool and on Annie's side against Vought, because Vought are the villains and Starlight is a hero. Now some of the less attentive members of the audience see her chasing Kenji as more of the "coolateral damage" that they're watching for, not realising that she is specifically murdering black people on sight.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

"Rayner isn't getting off on Butcher, she's getting off on the hatefucking" is what you're meant to take from it, I think.

As for Butcher himself: he's that guy who says horrible things sometimes but he's got the magnetism to pull it off. He's just joking, you know, he doesn't take things seriously. It's only as time goes by that you realise that he's abusing you and manipulating you. If Butcher wasn't good at hiding that then he wouldn't work as a character.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

ZearothK posted:

I think that pretty much shows that Ennis has never gone down on a woman, because it is physically impossible not to notice menstruation when going downtown.

Now, now - it just proves that he's never gone down on a menstruating woman. And that he didn't bother to learn the truth of it, of course.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Wild T posted:

The dude who played Joffrey on Game of Thrones is great for this. Evidently he's an absolute sweetheart of a guy and everyone who worked with him said he was one of the nicest guys they'd ever met, and he delighted in fans of the show berating him and telling him he was a monster because that meant he did a good job.

Jack Gleeson quit acting once he was done with the show specifically because of people berating him personally for playing a character who was a monster.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

That Italian Guy posted:

Yes, and we know they have casted a young actor (Dean from Supernatural I think?) to play Soldier Boy so either:
A) there's going to be a flashback and Aya Cash will play Liberty or
B) Soldier Boy is also going to be a young man in his 70s in modern times.
It's very possible that Herr Vought's original formula SupesTM are all super long lived.

I wouldn't exactly call Jensen Ackles a young actor, he's in his early 40s. Also he's not appearing until Season 3. However, comics spoiler:

In the comics, Ennis took a cynical riff on the Marvel trajectory for Captain America where it was retconned that Steve Rogers was MIA at the end of World War 2 and a different man wore the mantle in the 1950s. The original Soldier Boy was killed in his first operation and to cover it up Vought kept making new ones. So it's very likely that Ackles will be playing the current holder of the title and pretending to be a war veteran.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

All Candy Matters

(bounty is the superior coconut chocolate bar - fight me NOW)

Milk chocolate Bounties are awful. Dark chocolate Bounties are served in paradise.