Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Celebrated my 7th annual 29th birthday this week.

Last year I got an old-man knee pain type scare (could hardly go up the steps in my own house), turns out I still needed to wear the orthotics like I got back in high school and not doing so lead to serious weakness and stress in weird places.

After a year of self-directed correction exercises (and proper shoe inserts) I'm now very judgemental of everyone's posture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Agile Vector posted:

I know everyone is different but the powerstep inserts did a lot for me, to the point where not wearing them leads to discomfort a few days later
My custom orthotics are why I don't have knee problems anymore (and why I stopped getting foot pain when running as a child).

In the old days they'd make a mold of your foot and sculpt them, these days you just stand on a scanny machine and it tells you all about your feet/balance (like how I had 12% more weight favoring one side than the other...)

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Agile Vector posted:

im careful now to not trim the sides below the skin edge
No one ever taught me how to cut my toenails and I had to learn the hard way that you want to leave a bit of extra white on the edges or ingrowns can happen.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

echinopsis posted:

try telling that to someone who’s losing out tonight coz some chick who was interested in him until she met him in real life
have you tried wearing pants

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

DiggityDoink posted:

i slept funny one night last december and it hosed up my right arm for a month solid. it was like a stabbing nerve pain that went from my shoulder blade down to my wrist. i went to the doctor for it a few times and all they did was give me prescription strength ibuprofen, it did nothing.

the only thing that would make the pain bearable was to hold my arm above my head. i still had to work though so i just drove to my job with my arm resting on top of my head.

it went away out of nowhere in the middle of the day. about a week after that i got a call from my doctor saying that they had just got me into physical therapy lol
You should take the physical therapy anyway, it sounds very much like some sort of impingement syndrome

Likely your posture is really bad and your regular movements are putting the joint in a bad place. Check your ergonomics too.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Speaking of posture, if you're a computer toucher it is highly likely yours is terrible

Stand at a wall (or whiteboard), mark your height. Then stand up straight and do it again. Then measure both.

I did this a year ago and found 1) standing up straight gave me half an inch of instant height, and 2) both heights were about an inch shorter than I remembered being.

One year later, with like 2 workouts a week including corrective exercises, my doctor measured me at the tallest height I've ever been (and I'm 35 years old). That's an inch and a half taller than the lower measurement a year ago. People tell me I've "lost weight" but the actual number hasn't changed.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Hed posted:

I’d be curious what aux exercises you ended up using
Face pulls, stretches, neck raises, reverse planks, a lot of attention to form and everyday ergonomics/posture

My little mnemonic is to doublecheck my posture every time I hit a loading screen or progress bar

This video (and others on the channel) is pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-7ZWPCWv0U

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

also losing your kidneys will definitely shorten your life

but worse, your last weeks of life will be the most painful thing that can happen to a human being. god what a horrible way to die
Is this the same sort of problem cats with chronic kidney disease eventually develop? I'm trying to figure out when the best time to euthanize will be when it eventually wins :(

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Fake cast iron might not even be cast iron

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Ahh the glory days of artisanal steel...

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

PIZZA.BAT posted:

my birthday is real close to christmas so i basically never get to have birthday parties :(
Protip you can declare your birthday to be whenever you want and no one will know. You can even use holiday rules like "The second Saturday in January" rather than picking a number

Facebook even lets you change it once a year

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

born on a buy you posted:

I didn’t work out for a few days and all of the collective DOMS has caught up with me and life is hell
The better version of this is when you get out of shape enough that the slightest bit of workout gives you a 24-hour exercised-induced headache

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

that just means you arent working out that muscle group enough
The main way to get DOMS is to not workout for a while and then start again.

However, you can still get soreness even if you're a gym rat when you train in particular ways (which aren't necessarily bad ways).

Slow eccentric movements (the backwards recovery part) in particular are both:
- a good way to ensure good form and build muscle
- occasionally get sore the next day even though you thought you grew out of that

At least, that's what I think I've learned from attempts at internet research

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

quote:

The energetic, 40-something blonde with the megawatt smile was not always a life coach for dogs. In her early 20s, she was an intelligence officer with the Israeli army's Special Forces.
I'll admit, I didn't consider the possibility of using covert operative training as a way of bilking celebrities out of their money, but it seems like a good career plan.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Gout & pilonidal cysts
I once had a butt cyst and when I went to tell the doctor I said "I have a cyst..." and he cut in with "oh I bet I know where" but he was wrong

it was on one of the cheeks instead (because I had awful posture but in a different way from standard goon)

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

from what I understand bad posture, excess sitting, and pressure on the wrong points over time can contribute to cysts forming (it's why pilonidal cysts were the patron saint of goon syndrome)

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

matti posted:

(still young)
avid cyclist?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

for confusing historical reasons certain beverage packaging sizes in america are mandatory metric by law

soda cans are 330 ml because beer cans are required to be 330 ml by law -- they were originally 12 oz.
Holding a soda can right now that says 12 fluid oz (355 ml) on it

I don't think they can round up 7% like that

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

My knee was hella weak and hurting going up a couple steps. My doctor gave me some orthotics to wear in my shoes and a few rehab exercises and now it's completely better

Your knees are probably weak and your gait is slightly wrong. Correct yo step and do the PT.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

President Beep posted:

i would be furious if it was daylight for 24 hrs

if i had the money i'd spend winters in the northern and southern hemispheres, respectively.
Find someone with the opposite view and swap houses twice a year

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

echinopsis posted:

grim af mate
It's probably also dark on the way in

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

prefect posted:

unrelated: i had a poster of tom seaver playing for the reds when i lived in columbus
https://twitter.com/AnthonyDiComo/status/1301319170903232512
This article doesn't mention it but he died of "complications of Lewy body dementia and COVID-19"

https://baseballhall.org/discover/hall-of-fame-pitcher-tom-seaver-passes-away

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Sweep your balcony jesus christ
But then there'd be no peppermint

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Jonny 290 posted:

Any car newer than 1999 is a "new car" to me.

my 2005 expedition is wonderful. its a brand new truck. look at this leather and the - holy poo poo - is that a flip down DVD player?

the funniest thing is the most beat-to-poo poo vehicle i own, my 2007 suzuki DRZ400SM, is the newest. but thats what a dirt bike goes through. my big bike is a 2002 and looks like it just came off the showroom floor.
Two years ago I bought a used car and I am still throughly impressed by very basic features like "working air conditioning" and "my phone can play audio through the speakers"

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

fart simpson posted:

my hip hurts today and i don’t know why
You sleep on your side, have weak glut medius muscles, and an imperfect gait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

just guessing, that's why my hip hurt