Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Have we really seen a widespread, aggressive deployment of APS equipped tanks yet? A tank that can swat half a dozen infantry antitank weapon shots and withdraw or kill the shooters is an incredible obstacle in close terrain. How do you even fight that without an artillery or pgm strike?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

wiegieman posted:

Have we really seen a widespread, aggressive deployment of APS equipped tanks yet? A tank that can swat half a dozen infantry antitank weapon shots and withdraw or kill the shooters is an incredible obstacle in close terrain. How do you even fight that without an artillery or pgm strike?

with infantry, because you can't get friendly infantry close to current APS systems, and tanks without infantry cover are extremely vulnerable

also anti-APS penaids are already in use/on the drawing board (much like anti ERA penaids - just takes some time)

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Neophyte posted:

As alluded to in posts above, one of the lessons of Donbass is that future boot camps should have an industrial grinder by the bus stop where every incoming recruit has to throw every single smart phone, device, wearable, tablet, and laptop the second they get off the bus. When you are separated or retire you get free replacements, so quit your bitchin'.

Violations of this policy will be punishable with removal of your thumbs - try texting that "Hot Singles In Your Area Need Your Coordinates!" account now, Pvt. Schmuckatelli!

Continuous high level jamming of your own sides cellular telecommunications doesn't strike me as particularly unlikely to be honest.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Neophyte posted:

As alluded to in posts above, one of the lessons of Donbass is that future boot camps should have an industrial grinder by the bus stop where every incoming recruit has to throw every single smart phone, device, wearable, tablet, and laptop the second they get off the bus. When you are separated or retire you get free replacements, so quit your bitchin'.

Violations of this policy will be punishable with removal of your thumbs - try texting that "Hot Singles In Your Area Need Your Coordinates!" account now, Pvt. Schmuckatelli!

The policies regarding mobile phones in armies are usually quite severe.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Cythereal posted:

Huh, my understanding was that in Iraq and Gaza tanks haven't been useful at all except in cases where the opposition simply doesn't have anything that can penetrate them.

Most anti-tank weapons have some significant limitations, particularly range, that make it so 'tank here' is not immediately 'tank dead'. People saying the RPG made tanks obsolete are way off base when they think about the actual effective range of such weapon against point targets like tanks. RPGs can fling frag rockets out pretty far, but tanks are point targets and require a degree of accuracy. ATGMs are more effective at range but also vulnerable and somewhat limited.

The proliferation of improvised armored vehicles in places like Syria i think shows that obviously people fighting there think a small-arms hardened vehicle has some use, even if they'll get blown up by a good RPG or ATGM hit.

Just because tanks can't road column through the ardennes and blow through weak AT defenses like it's 1940 like they were nothing doesn't mean they're useless or going to go away.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Fly Molo posted:

More like releasing a compromised smartphone app so you can hunt down and destroy your enemy’s artillery. Modern warfare’s been going in some weird directions.
Turns out you gently caress with former superpowers at your own peril and they get to gently caress with you forever. Except if you're finland, where little green men are kill on sight.

wiegieman posted:

One of the oft overlooked issues is that your own dismounts can't really hang out with you when your AP's liable to blow them to smithereens along with an oncoming round. IIRC.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Aug 11, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Neophyte posted:

More like don't settle down for the night with three brigades in the same field when you know the Russians are watching you.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

What unit was it that came back from the sandbox for near-peer training and camped the entire battalion in an open field with no dispersal and got sighted and obliterated by OPFOR almost immediately?

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

quote:

Russian drones spied on the camp. The Ukrainians managed to shoot down one Orlan-10 drone, but could not stop the Russians from pinpointing their location. On the morning of July 11, Russian forces hacked the Ukrainian command post’s network and jammed its radios.

“At about 4:30 A.M., the Ukrainians lost the ability to communicate due to Russian cyber and electronic attack,” Fox explained. “The formations, prostrate and unable to communicate, were then ruthlessly attacked by Russian multiple-launch rockets and run-of-the-mill tube artillery.”

Russian 122-millimeter Grad rocket batteries deployed near the town of Rovenky on the Russian side of the border rained destruction on the Ukrainian camp. Three Ural trucks, loaded with soldiers, exploded. “One soldier had all his entrails falling out,” Ukrainian source recalled. “He was lying down, holding them in his hands and shouting, ‘Mom!’”

“He could no longer be saved.”

Yikes :stare:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
It's kind of like how when Tiger I was introduced, the crews learned that their tanks were impervious to normal 45mm to 76.2mm guns and could just park on top of a hill with a good view and exterminate everything with their 88mm deathray.

Then come circa 1944 and the heavy tank battalions still trust in the old tactics and now when that box of steel parks its huge silhouette on top of the ridge it's immediately riddled with holes made by 76.2mm tungsten, 17pdr, 85mm, 122mm shells or the entire turret is evaporated by a 152mm shell. Tiger crews soon learned that their place in the food chain wasn't apex predator anymore and they had to evolve into a new niche. For a while main battle tanks were like Tiger in 1942, then they had to find their place again.

It's the same with all arms. Okay, you don't see a lot of horse cavalry these days, but mostly different arms don't die off, they evolve because combined arms has only gotten more crucial for winning battles, not less. And the only reason why horse cavalry did disappear was because motorized units could do the same things but more efficiently. Yes, they were also more vulnerable to machine guns and artillery barrages so cavalry charges were going to disappear anyway, but without internal combustion engines we'd still have recon done by dudes on horses and some on bicycles.

Cythereal posted:

Huh, my understanding was that in Iraq and Gaza tanks haven't been useful at all except in cases where the opposition simply doesn't have anything that can penetrate them.

In urban fighting an infantry force only supported by artillery and air is not nearly as capable as one that also has a 120+ mm direct fire cannon with armour protected crew and all kinds of hitech sensors available to silence a strongpoint. They could bring that firepower as some kind of shoulder launched missile, but then the guy operating that missile could be shot in the head while he was taking the aim.

Combined arms leans heavily on having a good doctrine and good training, though. You will need pros with specialization on MOUT and a good plan to handle that. Just driving a tank column down the boulevard is just asking for trouble. The opposition probably has something that can damage an AFV, but they probably don't have an unlimited amount of them and moving an RPG or missile around the front for a clean shot is difficult if the attacking side has a strong infantry presence.

Valtonen posted:

As long as taking out a tank requires a more specialized weapon system than taking out an IFV does, and that by sacrificing Its purpose as IFV you can fit it with direct fire capability that outmatches an IFV a tank will exist.

emptyquote.txt

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Nenonen posted:

It's kind of like how when Tiger I was introduced, the crews learned that their tanks were impervious to normal 45mm to 76.2mm guns and could just park on top of a hill with a good view and exterminate everything with their 88mm deathray.

There were a lot of Tiger kills with the 6-pounder in 42, because the Germans would do just that, or charge straight into Allied positions confident in their invulnerability.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What was that german self propelled mortar they used on the eastern front? It had a huge bore, very squat barrel. It wasn't the karl gerat

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

What was that german self propelled mortar they used on the eastern front? It had a huge bore, very squat barrel. It wasn't the karl gerat

Sturmtiger?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Polyakov posted:

Sturmtiger?

I don't think they ever used that on the Eastern front though.

The Brummbär did though. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brummb%C3%A4r

Fangz fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 11, 2020

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Milo and POTUS posted:

Are you thinking of the Brummbär?

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

evil_bunnY posted:

Turns out you gently caress with former superpowers at your own peril and they get to gently caress with you forever. Except if you're finland, where little green men are kill on sight.

Please let us know how you think Ukraine was "loving with" Russia.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Gnoman posted:

There were a lot of Tiger kills with the 6-pounder in 42, because the Germans would do just that, or charge straight into Allied positions confident in their invulnerability.

The British noted that Tiger crews acted like they were invulnerable in Italy in 43-44, but learned better than they found out that it was impossible to evacuate and repair Tigers with damage to running gear or cooling system.

Grenrow posted:

Please let us know how you think Ukraine was "loving with" Russia.

This line of questioning is going to lead into modern politics. Don't.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Nenonen posted:

(snip content)

Yeah, very much this.

I mentioned the introduction of the Sagger above. It was first used in 1973; the Egyptian army (who had done very badly in 1967) used them to badly hurt the formerly invincible Israeli armor.

But the Israelis adapted, and within a matter of days they started using - you guessed it - combined arms tactics to deal with the Saggers. In reality the Sagger wasn't all that great; most of them missed and there were severe limitations on their effectiveness. The Israelis learned and adapted.

Nonetheless, it's hard to overstate how much the first reports shocked the tank community. Mere infantry, destroying the vaunted Isreali tanks! It went so far that Armor Magazine - a professional journal for tankers - ran a front cover that said "Is the Tank Dead?"

More astute observers looked at the situation and said, "yep, use combined arms, and don't charge ATGMs firing at you across open ground."

That lesson comes up over and over and over. Tanks are impressive. It's hard not to feel like an invincible badass when you're in the TC's station of an M1A1. But tanks - like every other weapons system since the dawn of time - have their limits, and using them sloppily will end in bad results. They're very useful, but they're just one part of the big holistic combined arms picture.

Edit: Video showing Egyptian Saggers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9coa0r_GLQ

Cessna fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 11, 2020

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Fangz posted:

I don't think they ever used that on the Eastern front though.

Sure they did, here's one shooting up Warsaw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc_BuTptGDY

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Polyakov posted:

Sturmtiger?

Hah I thought I found it and I thought it was the Brummbar but yeah I meant this one.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

A lot of the assumptions that tanks were terribly vulnerable and useless in urban terrain came from some Russian gong show in the 90s...Chechnya I assume?

Anyway, in Iraq they were unbelievably useful. It is hard to describe what it was like to be in contact and then have an Abrams platoon roll up...it was basically the end of the discussion. Sometimes they'd eat an RPG or someone would see if a machine gun could do anything about it, but more typically, it was just a signal to everyone that the firefight was over and we can all go home. Their main limitations were more operational in nature...not being able to take streetcorners, or grinding down curbs, stuff like that.

I'm sure against a better trained/equipped opponent that tanks wouldn't fare as well, but that assumption applies just as much to open terrain.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's absolutely a bad idea to use tanks in urban terrain if there is anything else they could meaningfully be doing, but that's a comparative problem rather than an absolute one.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Ensign Expendable posted:

The policies regarding mobile phones in armies are usually quite severe.

What the hell happened in the bottom left?

Someone has a very novel take on how to use nails.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
The ”no tanks to urban combat” Ur-example is the first battle of Groznyi on first chechen war. It consisted of muddled battle plan, executed with massive delay with constant communication issues with main emphasis literally being ”hope we have So many tanks the opponent refuses the fight in face of the odds” - and this was against an opponent that had a clear plan of ambushing using the terrain the best they could, that had one hell of a resolve.

Oh, and Russian air support was lacking due to inclenebt weather.

So whilst it is a Good lesson on ”play stupid games, lose your entire brigade”, it is flawed Because it assumes that you are using your armor assets in urban operations without any kind of thought on their abilities.

The more modern consensus on armor in urban terrain is that if force A has all the same assets as force B, but also has heavy armor on direct support, they have a massive direct firepower overmatch. Thats really all there is, and just like bewbies mentioned the ability to direct-raze anything every 5 seconds accurately up to a mile away is.. nice to have backing you.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

Valtonen posted:

The ”no tanks to urban combat” Ur-example is the first battle of Groznyi on first chechen war. It consisted of muddled battle plan, executed with massive delay with constant communication issues with main emphasis literally being ”hope we have So many tanks the opponent refuses the fight in face of the odds” - and this was against an opponent that had a clear plan of ambushing using the terrain the best they could, that had one hell of a resolve.

Oh, and Russian air support was lacking due to inclenebt weather.

So whilst it is a Good lesson on ”play stupid games, lose your entire brigade”, it is flawed Because it assumes that you are using your armor assets in urban operations without any kind of thought on their abilities.

The more modern consensus on armor in urban terrain is that if force A has all the same assets as force B, but also has heavy armor on direct support, they have a massive direct firepower overmatch. Thats really all there is, and just like bewbies mentioned the ability to direct-raze anything every 5 seconds accurately up to a mile away is.. nice to have backing you.

I don't know much about the first Chechen War, but browsing the Wikipedia page holy hell was it an absolute cluster gently caress. It wasn't that long after the breakup of the Soviet Union, and I imaging the Russian Army still had most of the Soviet command structure, troops, weapons, ect all intact. So how the hell did they do so badly?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cessna posted:

As far back as the 80's this was recognized, and planners referred to this factor as "come as you are war." That is, you fight with what you've already built.

Yeah, this sort of planning that a peer-to-peer war will always be short and brutal and then over was prevalent prior to 1914 and then something happened to change people's minds. Wish I could remember what it was.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Would the longer procurement timelines lead to an army in being doctrine where the focus is on preserving material? Similar to avoiding decisive engagements with a fleet?

Ground forces seem like that would be harder to execute with.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Yeah, this sort of planning that a peer-to-peer war will always be short and brutal and then over was prevalent prior to 1914 and then something happened to change people's minds. Wish I could remember what it was.

And nothing whatsoever has changed in the past century.

Edit: Seriously, why the hostility? The fact is that neither of us knows for sure what would happen. No one does. I presented the theories that past planners worked under, and if anything things have become more efficiently destructive in the forty years since those ideas were first developed.

It's certainly possible that after the initial overwhelming strike a war between superpowers could continue, but I suspect that things would probably go nuclear after that, in which case "design and produce new tanks" just wouldn't be a priority.

Cessna fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 12, 2020

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Solaris 2.0 posted:

I don't know much about the first Chechen War, but browsing the Wikipedia page holy hell was it an absolute cluster gently caress. It wasn't that long after the breakup of the Soviet Union, and I imaging the Russian Army still had most of the Soviet command structure, troops, weapons, ect all intact. So how the hell did they do so badly?

1990's was an era when people were seriously concerned that someone in former Soviet Union with access to the nuclear weapon stockpile would sell a warhead or two to whoever made the right kind of offer. That's how reliable the command structure was known to be.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
1990s was also an era when you'd read newspaper stories about Russian military bases having their power cut off because no one had paid the bill in two years, or conscript soldiers selling their rifles because they hadn't been paid in ten months.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
How did the Soviet military perform during the Afghanistan war? I realize that I hardly know anything about it, other than its outcome. Were they generally competent and thus didn't meet their grand strategic objectives for other reasons? Or did they lack in some military capability?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

FMguru posted:

1990s was also an era when you'd read newspaper stories about Russian military bases having their power cut off because no one had paid the bill in two years, or conscript soldiers selling their rifles because they hadn't been paid in ten months.

To be fair, if I had a rifle issued I'd also have sold it for booze money, and they haven't missed one of my paychecks yet.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Cessna posted:

Are you posting this from 2035? Is Trump still President?

For some reason I was thinking mid 60s this morning, anyways you’re correct. Either way that’s still 45+ years in active service and still in very active production.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Mazz posted:

Either way that’s still 45+ years in active service and still in very active production.

It is amazing that they're still made today.

Biffmotron
Jan 12, 2007

EggsAisle posted:

How did the Soviet military perform during the Afghanistan war? I realize that I hardly know anything about it, other than its outcome. Were they generally competent and thus didn't meet their grand strategic objectives for other reasons? Or did they lack in some military capability?

The book to read is The Bear Went Over the Mountain, which is a collection of Soviet General Staff after action reports, translated and edited by US military historian Lester Grau.

And the short answer is they pretty poorly, over all. Soviet doctrine was based around high intensity deep battle in Western Europe. Tank heavy shock armies, massive artillery bombardment, maybe nuclear weapons, against a similar foe. Afghanistan is massive, and the scale of the terrain to be garrisoned, disease, and casualties meant that fighting units were at absolute minimum strength.

Infantry tactics and equipment was notably poor. Doctrine called for troops to operate close to their AFVs, which had limited mobility in large portions of the country. The standard flak jacket was too heavy for marches over 3 km, and Soviet web gear didn’t carry enough ammo or water for long patrols. Boots and sleeping bags were notably awful for the mountains, and troops tried to replace them with tennis shoes and captured western bags. And on a political-strategic level, heavy handed Soviet counter-insurgency tactics meant that their intelligence was bad, and as the war dragged on, morale plummeted. Helicopter were vital, and always in short supply.

When operations came together, the Soviets could be quite effective, using helicopter assaults to insert troops into blocking positions, and the crushing encircled militants with heavy firepower. But far more frequently the Afghans would just withdraw away from a heavy sweep, and then hit isolated outposts or convoys on their tempo.

It’s not exactly like the Americans in Vietnam, but it’s real similar, with heavy mechanized equipment that’s of limited use in harsh terrain, rough parity in the light infantry fights, and an unworkable political situation. It’s difficult to get a foreign population to regard a government you’ve installed as legitimate by shooting and bombing them, and an insurgency with inviolate sanctuaries across an international border and logistical support from the other superpower can just wait out domestic morale.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

What the hell happened in the bottom left?

Someone has a very novel take on how to use nails.

Squaddies, man

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

There were a host of problems with the Russian army in the 90s that are summed up in the context of Chechnya in this document pretty succinctly.

Specific to tanks, one issue they had is the plan was to lead the attack with tanks into dense urban terrain and as a bonus the tanks couldn't elevate their guns to hit the upper floors of buildings full of anti-tank infantry.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

glynnenstein posted:

the tanks couldn't elevate their guns to hit the upper floors of buildings full of anti-tank infantry.

this is like, the classic problem for tanks in dense urban terrain though and why SPAAGs are shockingly useful outside of killin planes

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

glynnenstein posted:

There were a host of problems with the Russian army in the 90s that are summed up in the context of Chechnya in this document pretty succinctly.

Specific to tanks, one issue they had is the plan was to lead the attack with tanks into dense urban terrain and as a bonus the tanks couldn't elevate their guns to hit the upper floors of buildings full of anti-tank infantry.

That document was really useful and insightful thank you. It's amazing how fast the army of a former super power, what was once the premier Army in the world 10 years before, can fall apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

this is like, the classic problem for tanks in dense urban terrain though and why SPAAGs are shockingly useful outside of killin planes

Yeah. They eventually remembered this after losing 87.5% of their armored vehicles in the initial assault. They may also eventually have given the tanks machine gun ammo that they didn't have to start.