Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

SeanBeansShako posted:

So do you guys actually want to talk about lesser known WW2 head gear or?

Hell yeah.

:justpost:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Fangz posted:

We've had this argument last thread, seems pointless to repeat it.

EDIT: Like if people *really* wanna talk about this, I for one would be more interested in hearing what people would otherwise propose as a lost global golden age. Then we can actually talk about history.

The Age of the Tank Destroyer was the true golden age.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Ensign Expendable posted:

:ussr:
T-54
T-44 prototypes
T-44 prototypes second round
T-44 production
Soviet HEAT anti-tank grenades
T-34-85M
Myths of Soviet tank building new

:911:
Light Tank M24

:godwin:
German anti-tank rifles

I mean, I’d like to see everything, cause it’s all awesome, but I guess these ones first.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Available for request:

ISU-122 front line impressions NEW
German additional tank protection (zimmerit, schurzen, track links) NEW

Please and thank you. :)

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

aphid_licker posted:

I had absolutely brutal battles with my lego knights. Just legs and heads and torsos strewn all over the place. You could stick the pirate saber into a figure if you pulled the legs and torso apart a tiny bit. I was a very normal child, thanks for asking.

I had the the street plate pieces, the train set, and more than enough buildings to make a city, and you better be drat sure my massive childhood collection of army men invaded the LEGO city and turned it into Stalingrad several times.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
What’s the exchange/conversion rate on T-55 to Type-59?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I CAN'T HEAR YOU

DO YOU WANT ME TO POST JAPANESE PLANES!?

Yes! :justpost:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Nebakenezzer posted:

The Italian Army, I don't know much aside from the thread consensus. That's that the Italian army was just as effective as any other army, but badly lead due to fascist favoritism. I know in North Africa, they suffered an incredible defeat after invading Egypt.

Phone posting right now, but I recall a few posts on the subject of the Italian army suggesting that they rearmed just a bit too early, in the early-to-mid 1930’s. Most of the equipment they had was on par with what other militaries had during the Spanish Civil War, but they really didn’t keep up with development a huge after that (Never mind the already mentioned production issues that impacted everything), while everyone else really stepped up in 38-40, so the Italian equipment like tanks and stuff was very quickly passed and obsolete.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Phone posting, but my personal favorite of those are the Royal Navy Phantoms that got subtlety repainted as “Colonial Navy”.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

What is this? I want more details so I can add it to my game. I have no idea how I'd use it (in a mission sense) but I need it.

I’m sure someone here can tell you every detail about it, but it’s a PT-76.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

HEY GUNS posted:

we're a week and a half into lockdown and already a marines/navy argument has broken out...pray for us...

I mean, it feels like it comes up like every 3-4 months in the Cold War/Airpower thread. Kinda surprised it hasn’t happened here.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

SlothfulCobra posted:

Can I sign up for one of those abstract philosophical wars like the war on poverty where I'd either be a government worker trying to stem the tide of poverty or some shitface wealthy rear end in a top hat trying to dismantle the whole system so my taxes would be lower?

If that’s eligible, join the war on drugs, but pick the cool side :catdrugs:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

This link did work, for those curious or trying to view it on awful app like I was.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Raenir Salazar posted:

What period of history, or war, is criminally under represented in (North American) media or haven't had a big budget HBO style adaption recently that people would be hype for?

The 30 Years War is disqualified as being too obviously the answer

I think the vast majority of American knowledge of the Korean War probably comes from M*A*S*H, and there basically hasn’t been anything about it since that ended in ‘83.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Raenir Salazar posted:

Was there no way for the Entente to send a corps or two to Imperial Russia where the front was more fluid and open? My gut feeling is further reinforcements in the Western front seemed like dimishishing returns or was that not the case and they did really need every man they could get, especially the French?

e: page has been sniped like a WW1 officer going to the john.

I’m far from the biggest expert on this, but I believe it was a case of them needing all the men they could get in the West. There’s a lot made of just the American numbers making a big deal later in the war to help out, although that was by the time Russia was collapsing/gone and the Germans shifted their own troops back from the East, so I’m not sure how much of a difference some British corps or two would have made in the East in, say, 1916.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Uncle Enzo posted:

It's always strange how in these scenarios everyone seems to stray into "What could Hitler have done differently to win the war". Here's what Hitler should have done differently:

1. Be Gay
2. Be Black
3. ???
4. Profit!

Modified to fit the thread’s normal version of things.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

bewbies posted:

They sometimes used elite mixed units of convicts on suicide commando missions. Here is a picture of one such unit

Hey, it was the integrated unit in the U.S. Army! :v:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

LRADIKAL posted:

Boob armor = shell trap. You're just going to funnel a bolt or spear into your heart, sheesh, come on guys.

Nah, it’ll deflect into her hair.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
Stolen from PYF to make a few people probably twitch in anger and also tank destroyers:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

drgitlin posted:

Me too but most of the time you’d barely know that was a TFR thread.

Hell, I’ve been reading that thread for years after it was linked here before and basically didn’t know it was in TFR.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Groda posted:

What about the homefront propaganda? Did anyone in the US even remember him saying that in 1943?

For what it’s worth, the movie Bataan came out in June 1943 and was one of the more successful and popular movies to come out during the war AFAIK, so what happened in the Philippines was still well remembered a year later.

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 21, 2020

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Uncle Enzo posted:

If your country really needs a donkey-portable AA system and you make one, that's not silly.

Anti-Air Artillery rear end. Someone add some more A’s into it.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Which guard codex is this blurb from?

I was curious myself, it's the 500th SS Parachute Battalion

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

T-80, T-62, T-64, T-72A comparative trials NEW

:911:
American tank building plans post-war

German tanks for 1946

I’d like to see these down the line, thank you.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Pryor on Fire posted:

I am still confused as to how you have never had a single eye exam in your life that would have immediately told you exactly what type and how bad your colorblindness is. You just think you have 20/20 so never bothered? And your parents were just neglectful or something? This is so baffling to me.

If your vision is "fine" or you don't obviously have some obvious issue that affects your daily life, a lot of people will never get their vision checked. poo poo like insurance (Or lack of it) can also play a big factor in that. :911:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Phanatic posted:

Even back then the names weren't always random. I'm pretty sure they didn't pick Operation Starvation out of a hat.

Operation Stalemate (Peleliu) ended up being less than ideal.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Trin Tragula posted:

Churchill wasn't advocating random names; he was advocating dignified ones.

Racehorses?

“Gentlemen, Operation Seabiscuit is a go!”

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Gaius Marius posted:

I've never seen someone sell F91 that hard

And they didn’t even mention the lady getting hit in the head with the ejected 130mm shell casing from the G-Cannon.

I irrationally like that among all the UC works, in spite of its flaws.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Communist Zombie posted:

A friend is making a military officer oc and it made me wonder, which person in history has the most legitimate medals and honors? I know Zhokov has like his entire torso covered, but is there anyone with more? And if outside various flavors of dictators has anyone actually needed to pin medals to their pants for lack of room?

If you want to go basically earned in combat, from an American perspective, Audie Murphy is usually the go to example since I think he won every possible award for combat actions someone could have during World War II.

That said,

SeanBeansShako posted:

Just give them between 4 and 6 medals. Anything more for an active soldier and it gets silly.

Is the best option. If you want to see something more normal, just look up the awards of basically anyone from your memoir of choice.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Nenonen posted:

There are also plenty of examples of Allied exaggeration, especially in popular culture but the tendency is already there in memoirs and historiography. War is hell, but you don't need to make it sound like there is an indestructible King Tiger behind every bush and barn.

Absolutely. I think the perception even at the time was that almost every German tank the Americans fought after D-Day was a Tiger, just like how every time they got shelled it was an 88 when those were definitely not the most commonly used weapon for indirect fire. I seem to recall some book mentioning how American units during the Battle of the Bulge constantly reported encounters with Tigers even though there weren’t any actual regular Tigers involved.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Solaris 2.0 posted:

A lot of the media at the time (late 1990s) was built around the Allies fighting against numerically inferior, but materially superior Germans. This featured a lot in wargaming as well.

Yeah, this is basically every American war movie or TV show that involves tanks to some extent going back to like the 50’s too. The German tanks were almost always bigger (And if it was filmed back in the day in Spain like Battle of the Bulge or Patton among others, played by M47s while American tanks were smaller M24 or M41) and a lot of pretty blatant dialogue about how the their tanks are bigger and better (Those two again, also Kelly’s Heroes with the mock-Tigers, and plenty of others), often mixed with complaints about the American tanks having thinner armor and smaller guns.

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

:hmmyes:

Yvonmukluk posted:

You know, with the imminent new Milhist thread, that brief derail about Space Battleship Yamato kind of makes me want to do a space battles thread over in Sci-Fi Wi-Fi.

:doit: I’d be down for something like that.