Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

did you quote that last thread or was it somewhere else? Becuase I've definitely seen it within the last 2 days or so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Randomcheese3 posted:

A lot of the sailors aboard the Flowers viewed the naming of the class as a cunning psychological warfare tool against German U-boat crews; while dying for the Fuhrer might be glorious, being killed by a ship named for a flower like Hyacinth, Periwinkle or Cowslip was faintly comical.

Don't for a second think I wouldn't be afraid of a dandy lion

FuturePastNow posted:

and the HMS Angry Scotsman

Isn't angry scotsman redundant

Schadenboner posted:

Legit unsure if I'm in the Dune thread or the MilHist?

:confused:

Or the Cormac McCarthy megathread

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 23, 2019

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

What about the lash and you know.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Hyrax Attack! posted:

-Why were Japanese shipments so unprotected? It’s crazy to read a list of “lives lost at sea by individual ships” and see how many overloaded troop ships they lost. Did they just never figure out convoys?

The soldiers onboard were part of the IJN's most hated enemy, the IJA

FrangibleCover posted:

The Japanese also had gigantic "beehive" rounds for battleship main battery guns that were supposed to act like giant incendiary shotgun shells against incoming aircraft. They didn't really work out.

I've heard this before, both that they tried it and it didn't work. Presumably the USN could have did the same thing but with radar built into the shells so they could be used as a gigantic VT fuse, right?

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 24, 2019

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

SeanBeansShako posted:

Man if I had a 3D printer I would print so much models....

Dioramas are where it's at

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

People said last thread that the harbour defence motor launches were originally destined to sail (quite literally) to the Caribbean. Given their armament and intended destination (according to the wiki ,they eventually ended up in the Mediterranean) I guess they were meant for anti-sub patrol boats mainly. Other than general interdiction what goods were the germans hoping to stop from being trafficked? Sugar seems most obvious, right? What goods were the Caribbean holdings contributing to the war effort

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It definitely makes more sense than sugar

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Phanatic posted:

Also for that application a lot of little explosions are better than a few big ones. Those big AA shells tore up the lining of the guns, and I don't think resulted in a single kill. A whole shitload of 40mm was way more effective.

Did they break up into shrapnel in the barrel?

That's amazing

I mean not just how amusing it is. It even sorta looks like a horse for gods sakes

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Aug 25, 2019

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Imagine having more engines than you have tanks to do with

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Is there a canon reason for why nobody found them? You'd figure they'd check every island in a 3 hour's sail. Do boats not file flight plans

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Skipper disliked

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

That seems the sort of thing you'd never live down

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Molentik posted:

The kind Dick is wearing?

That's a title, not a name.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Jehde posted:

El último tercio.

Ultima umbrella regum

Nenonen posted:

nobody is going to rain on their parade

Ngl, if I had 300 bucks (!) just laying around, I probably would give one of those unbreakable fighting umbrellas a try

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

An olde bounty hunting story could be sweet as hell

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Imagine getting your fingers slammed by it

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Did that guy ever do a write up of USMC(?) doing riverine raids during the american revolution

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

The submarines sneak under the force field, right?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Gervasius posted:

Yeah, it sounds stupid, and it is stupid and the show knows its stupid and rolls with it. After really mediocre first season it embraces stupidity and becomes a great dumb show to be honest.

The suez has locks in the show iirc

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Post the lunch?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I am protected

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Italy would likely perform better in North Africa, if only because they would have more men and materiel to bring down there.

On the other hand, they might do worse. Because they've got more men and material there.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

xthetenth posted:

Yeah, penicillin is one of the things that lets you safely delete dates before its advent out of hand.

Did you or I have a stroke

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

xthetenth posted:

Also, Dreadnought was going to happen. The British didn't obsolete their own ships on their own, they were the leaders in the technologies that would obsolete their ships. As of 1903, the US is working on battleships with an all main gun battery in a set of four superfiring turrets that allow an equal eight gun broadside, among others. This is happening.

Were the British aware of this? Even if they just rightly assumed that it was going to happen? I doubt they were as close at the time as they would be in successive decades but I don't know the extent of that eras cross the pond spygames

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

feedmegin posted:

Town/gown tensions are a thing even today.

I have never heard this term (though the concept is pretty self explanatory) but it has an actual wikipedia page.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

There's no preventing bad attitude

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

NFX posted:

Has anyone tried to mount bayonets on tank guns?

I assume this question is rhetorical

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I haven't read the book but I assumed it was visible because of it's drive plume

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Neophyte posted:

Why would they even post this, who are they trying to convince (who doesn't already side with them unconditionally)? It's in English, so it's not just for internal consumption.

There are tons of super stupid people in this world who will believe whatever they read, see, or hear

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Weren't the Poles designing a stealth tank some time back

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

What's that on the end of these rifles?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Dance Officer posted:

Yea, that looks like rifle grenades by WW1 German soldiers. I don't recall Germany having rifle grenades in WW1 though.

That's what I figured and also what I thought. That's why I was a little confused

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I was just about to ask why not a mortar. I imagine they're potentially cheaper to outfit every rifleman with the ability to throw bombs downrange. If a dozen guys dropped grenades on a trench in a salvo it'd probably be a decent way to start an attack or sometjomg

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

HEY GUNS posted:

yes. batallion on the field roughly corresponds to regiment on paper but doesn't have to.

unless you're swedish, then regiments are brigades.

I thought tercios were escuadrons

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I think he's saying he wouldn't use it in the manner you'd normally use a shovel for fear of bending or pinching the barrel

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

SeanBeansShako posted:

Somewhere on Tarawa in the mid forties a Japanese counter attack occurs on the edge of a US Marine observation post, bursting out a tent a grizzled barely shaved young officer desperately seizes something from a pile of captured weaponry stacked outside his tent.

Staring in wild confusion as the sounds of rifle and machine gun fired interrupted by the odd scream he look around. A pile of luggage trunks. Some overturned empty ammuntion crates. A knee high rock.

No. His body will have to do he thinks as he reaches for an MRE

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

That's... something else

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

SlothfulCobra posted:

And here I thought the loss of the old junk aesthetic was just because stuff in the new movie just wasn't made of old junk anymore. I guess they just decided to make the stuff glued onto the guns in the newer movies smoother and shinier.

Ties are probably the most vestigial of uniform pieces. You can't even see most of them behind the jacket. Was there ever a reason for the strap?

Think of how much material they could save if they only used half a tie.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Cyrano4747 posted:

Or they could go all out and make the tie a disguised, inverted Y-strap with numerous hook fasteners sewn into the jacket

I'm trying to wrap my mind around this but I just can't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

StandardVC10 posted:

...does the pipe come with the uniform, or do you buy it separate?

That's called a boat pipe and it's 600 bucks.