Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I’m surprised the big stores aren’t pushing wizards to create an Origins foreword format to move all the bulk rares they couldn’t get rid of after rotations. Arena would only have to program 3 sets worth of cards and wizards could probably make a masters set to sell with all the staples.

Except they’d probably gently caress that up and charge horizon prices for a set that has like 10 cards worth slightly more then the price of the pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Is anything using hexdrinker right now? I want to get a set but with my luck it’ll lose half it’s value a month after I get them.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Does anyone have any experience with blue black mill in their playgroups?

I’ve watched some videos on YouTube and found some decks online, it looks like a lot of fun and now that graveyards aren’t an extension of the hand you can safely put things in your opponents graveyard.

It’s basically a burn deck with a mission briefing - archive trap/glimpse the unthinkable combo for the big mills. Schieming symmetry seems prefect for this because I can just mill the card away or wait for them to Untap with mesmeric orb in play the next turn

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

C-Euro posted:

Hello.

I haven't had a ton of time to play it lately but people are excited about Mill for the first time in a while, due to fast GY decks getting kneecapped and the format skewing a little slower/midrangey as a result (plus everyone tutoring up cards with SFM). I do think the deck is still one good 1 or 2 CMC mill spell away from being truly viable, but you can definitely steal matches at FNM or MTGO leagues. What would you like to know?

E: This is my current list but I am giving strong consideration to going -1 Bridge -1 Ashiok -2 Collective Brutality and +1 Mesmeric Orb +3 Manic Scribe next time I make it out. Would like to get a second CoBru in the board to make up for it but I keep running into Dreadhorde Arcanist locally.

Thank you for your support friend!

Does scheming symmetry work?

Any mill spells not seeing play that could work like the blue 5 for 1 or 7 for 2?

Does Mind Funeral work? How often do you get less then 10 cards?

Is extirpate a good budget alternative for surgical extraction?

Should I run 4 shelldock isles?

Do I run war Ashiok in the sideboard?

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
What kind of removal package should I go with. Seems like 5-6 fatal push / inquisition of kozleak is standard.

I forgot that Symmerty and field of ruins activate archive trap. That makes ashiok a lot better. And you can always cycle the visions of beyond for a blue.

The one card I might wait on getting is mesmeric orb at the end until I know if the December set I assume they’ll make is a reprint set. If it gets reprinted it drops to sub $10.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

GoutPatrol posted:

Ban Glimpse the Unthinkable, its the only way

sorry mill brothers, gotta take one for the team

They loving would too after I just bought a play set of extirpates on ebay.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

This is really really good in stompy. Having something to do with left over mana after drawing a 1 or 2 mana creature is a big help

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I feel like this is the one day of spoiler season that it’s not the best card to release. Maybe yesterday and tomorrow included.

Especially being the white pacifism enchantment for the set, it’s not an important card.

Anyone that loses their mind over it is obviously dumb as poo poo and a loving moron looking for attention. But maybe just put that card in the common dump at the end so no one has to hear about this poo poo.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Owlbear Camus posted:

Am I the only one who occasionally goes to flea markets and garage sales with the fantasy of a "yard sale find" of some old shoebox with some beat up OG duals interspersed among the wood elementals and living walls, or a sealed box of some old set?

I found 2 warhammer sets at a thrift store earlier this year. It was half off day so they were $2 each, one was sealed and the other was open but untouched. They were selling on eBay for about $40 each. Sold them to a player for $60.

It happens, you just have to be very very lucky.

A friend from high school knew I still played magic so he wanted me to look at his 95-98 era collection. He pulled out like a royal assassin, shiva dragon, a few other cards that were worth a lot back when he played in middle school.

His jaw dropped when I told him all the stuff he pulled out had very little value, but his sylvan library, 3 wastelands and 2 city of traitors were worth a few hundred dollars. It was before the eternal masters reprints. He had a few other cards in the $10-$20 range so he was pretty happy.

I kept a demonic tutor for my troubles.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
2 of the stores I bought magic from as a kid were started as sports cards only. With a corner of the store dedicated to magic, then eventually Star Trek, Star Wars, some games that probably only had 1-3 sets released and failed. Both of those went out of business.

the one in my small hometown was a front for bookmaking and Coke. I was there when the cops raided the place right after school. Why they decided to do it at 3 pm, instead of anytime before 2:30 never made sense.

The comic book shop in the closest city was probably the first in the area to carry magic. Comics, war game miniatures, fantasy/sci fi/horror novels. Back then the only place you could get shirts with comic book/Star Wars characters on them outside of the children’s section of clothing stores was at comic book stores.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Broads live it when you call em dames.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
A guy in my first match pulled a full art non foil will and rowan and questing beast. So I guess you can get full art in the packs?

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Tubgoat posted:

Was it for sure a regular booster pack from a normal-print box, or were there special one-of promo packs for the prerelease?

He said he pulled it from his pre release. That’d be the dumbest way to cheat ever. It was full art non foil. I think the collectors pack version would be foil.

I have a GED so like Hell im trying to figure out that loving chart.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Framboise posted:

1. Dear lord no. The Planeswalker decks are full of extremely low power jank that are not only not worth what you pay for them, but aren't fun to play. I super suggest trying to get one of the Challenger Decks or the Brawl precons if you can! The card quality is significantly higher and they were designed to be played right out of the box.

*Note: Brawl is a bit different from Standard Magic playstyle, but there's nothing stopping you from playing it like a standard deck.

2. Boosters in general are hard to recommend as "worth it", but go ahead and grab one if you have fun opening cards.

Go for the guild decks they put out for guilds of rav and allegiance. They’re meant to be played against each other. They’re full of fun and good cards from the 8 ravnica sets.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

ItBreathes posted:

I mean, they aint gonna look for them, but if someone asks "did your cards/property really get stolen", having filed a police report can give some credibility to your statement.

Yeah. They’re never going to do anything. But having a report is probably necessary if they sell them to a pawn shop or store and you want to claim them as stolen merchandise and get them back.

You can say it was a binder with vraska art and tefari art and deck boxes with whatever art. It’s a bit more unique then just naming off a list of cards that there are millions of copies of.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I'd assume it's 100% that the friendly fast lands will be printed in the next core set to make the mana bases even for pioneer. I guess since they're actual locations that's the only way to print them since core doesn't have a story to it.

Also 5 of the shock lands have been printed in precons so far. If they do another round of Brawl decks for the next set with one each that'll leave 1 spot in the challenger decks. It's pretty great that you can build a 12 card enemy color land base for $80 or less.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
This format, especially the mad scramble to build decks trying to figure out what works the first couple months has to be a godsend to every LGS and big internet seller that's stuck with cards that rotated out over the last few years. I'm sure the stores stuck with a couple dozen copies of check lands will be happy to sell them for $3-$4 again. I'm really happy I picked up a set of Vraska's Contempt for about $1 each after rotation just in case this format ever materialized (I guessed Origins forward).

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
The hot store with great prize support is running pioneer Thursday night. I’m going to play green stompy.

Here’s my sideboard so far:

4 feed the clans. I’m sure there’s gonna be burn for the first few weeks

2 scavenging ooze

2 shapers sanctuary. So I get something when they zap my creatures

3 veil of summer

2 back to nature. For enchantments I guess?

2 witchstalkers. 3/3 hex proof that gets bigger against u/b

Should I put in natural states? I figure smugglers copter is gonna be a problem until the first ban. Any suggestions from anyone?

I’m running 4 bramblecrush main deck. Being able to kill a plainswalker on a creeping mold seems so ungreen

The American Dream fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Oct 22, 2019

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Check your local bulk boxes. I got an aetherworks marvel, 9 heart of kirans and 2 siege rhinos in the 15 for $5 box.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
It’s usually stuff that’s been printed 3 or 4 times or cards that were barely good enough to see play in limited or stuff that hasn’t seen play since it rotated out 1-15 years ago. I don’t know how much heart of kiran was 2 days ago, but I assume it was less then $1 and they haven’t sold one in a year.

A few months ago I found an urzas destiny attrition and some foil fire blasts and chain lightenings. But they’re not paying me to search their bulk for cards worth $2.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

PJOmega posted:

Nothing quite like running into a local store owner with a Target cart full of brawl decks.

Cool. Now you can buy them for $35-$40 from him.

My local stores were selling them for $40. So I used a 15% off coupon from Barnes and noble and got them for less then $20.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Mat Cauthon posted:

Tired: Ban Oko.
Wired: Ban Gilded Goose.

Edit: What's in those Brawl preconstructed packs that makes them worth hunting down?

Beyond the deck exclusive stuff, they each have a shock land and to a much lesser extent a temple. Knight of the ebon legion, smothering tithe. Each deck seems to have a couple cards worth $2-$3.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Tcg player just laid off 15% of their staff. So like 30 people. Which sucks because I know several people there. A couple of them said last week was nuts with all the frontier orders they needed to fill.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I really really hope they print some good Minotaurs. I’d love to have some good ones for my tribal deck.

I also can’t wait to use my foil underworld dreams

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Toshimo posted:

• Carpet of Flowers
  • Concordant Crossroads
  • Defense of the Heart
  • Food Chain
  • Fyndhorn Elves
  • Hermit Druid
  • Three Visits
  • Worldly Tutor

loving pay me, Wizards.

[*]Carpet of Flowers- Good way to inflate value for the set with a card that should be like $2
[*]Concordant Crossroads- Perfect for the draft set
[*]Defense of the Heart- Maybe, see Wordly Tutor
[*]Food Chain- Chase card for the commander set
[*]Fyndhorn Elves- Good chance, no reason not to
[*]Hermit Druid- It's worth $6, why not
[*]Three Visits- Finance fuckers would lose their minds
[*]Worldly Tutor- Seems like a good one, can't have 2 $15 cards, it's either this or Defense of the Heart

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
The only thing a smart person should have invested in was the recent dual lands when they were $2-$3. I finished off all my playsets of the check lands around rotation for about $2 each.

Also get a playset of vraskas contempt while they’re still $2. I doubt they’ll hit $12 again but in a format with 25 gods and some busted rear end planeswalkers they’re gonna be very necessary at some point.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
If your goal is playing fnm or whatever local tournament expect to spend $100-$200 for a competitive standard or pioneer deck.

If you stick to a mono color pioneer deck you can save yourself about $100 just by not needing 2 color lands. Since you’re new to the game I’d suggest red burn or green stompy. They’re very straight forward and don’t appear to have many expensive cards.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

fadam posted:

Just dropped 92 Canadian bucks to finish this. If I lose tonight you owe me big time pal.

drat that’s like 2 cases of beer

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I had someone call a judge on me like 20 years ago because I couldn’t quote verbatim the text on my German Anson Maddocks Llanowar Elves.

The judge was visibly annoyed because the guy I was playing would always try to rules lawyer to get free wins.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Change the sort setting to price. Reprints look fantastic. Sounds like you have a 1 in 300 chance of pulling a specific rare.

Hopefully it’ll be a $4 pack. Most likely it’ll be horizons priced at $7. I’ll stick to a release weekend draft and buy the singles I want after a couple weeks if the prices go down a bit.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
2 great cheating stories. Same store in the early 2000s. The lesson is if you’re a cheater don’t tell your girlfriend because if you cheat on her she’ll call the store and tell them how you cheat magic cards.

My friend would always roll a 6 and 20 sided die before cutting his opponents deck of the 6 sided came up even he would just cut the deck around the middle. If it came up odd he would roll the 20 sided and cut that many cards to the bottom.

Took about 10 extra seconds to do and no one really cared aside from a couple people thinking it was kinda odd the first time they played him. The only person that was always angry about it was a guy probably 15 years older then us.

Like he would huff and puff about how it was a waste of time and bullshit from a little kid. Well it turned out that he would set aside 20 cards and put them in the middle of his deck so that when his deck was cut he would get 10 or so of those cards and always have a great hand and first few draws.

His now ex girlfriend called the store because he bragged to her how no one could beat him if they cut his deck in half. I guess an employee watched his hands when he was shuffling and saw him grab a pile of cards out of his cargo shorts and slip it into his deck that was in his other hand.

He was a condescending poo poo head and would straight up insult people after he beat them for not having $300 standard decks including us high schoolers who were basically washing dishes and mowing lawns to buy magic cards. I know he got banned because no one liked him and he was a toxic piece of poo poo. Hopefully he blew his brains out that night.

The second cheater would always have 2 common cards of each color sleeved up for sealed and would add the appropriate cards to his deck in the bathroom after construction. Think like 5 general spells and 5 efficient creatures. Shock/negate/doom blade/pacifism/giant growth and 3/3 flying/first strike/trample for 4 or whatever.

So I guess his ex called and said they were either in his hoodie pocket or cargo shorts pocket. The store owner pulled him aside and told him that he needed to empty his pockets on suspicion of cheating. He found the cards in there. I was there for that one. He was banned from playing limited events and who knows if he ever came back to play or just went somewhere else.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

suicidesteve posted:

Jfc this is a bit much for cheating at a children's card game and being an annoying child.

I was the child. He was the adult that would mock children because they couldn’t afford multiple playsets of $10-$15 cards when minimum wage was $5 and would be a general rear end in a top hat to people he felt were below him (it was everyone).

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Sickening posted:

Whatever makes heart of kiran spike I don't care.

I pulled 9 out of a bulk box the day after pioneer was announced.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Sickening posted:

It’s not worth mailing right now. If it gets above 5 again, sell it in a hurry.

If I traded 2 sets to people the next day at $2 a card I would have been very happy. I might pull them from my binder for a couple weeks and see if they go up to 4 or 5

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I wonder how good of a deck you could build with the last 3 years of b/g challenger decks? Even if it’s just putting the explore package in golgari good stuff.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
What’s the best price anyone is seeing for mystery box pre orders. Anything much less the $110?

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
These sound like a lot of fun for changing things up when no one wants to draft the current standard set for the 9th week in a row.

It’ll be a great way to reprint the $2-$5 common and uncommons that are staples to formats.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

ilmucche posted:

Can't wait to see what the markup will be on these at my lgs. A shame because they seem like they could be fun

It looks like mystery boosters are gonna be $6. And these will probably be $6. I wonder how long until standard sets are $6 a pack. This seems to be what they’re moving towards.

Speaking of mystery boosters, does anyone know when they’re going to announce the foil set? Or start announcing it?

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Do I need to make an account to watch the twitch. Because I’m not willing to do that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

literally a hog posted:

https://twitter.com/StarCityGames/status/1237863813048909824

Baltimore and Syracuse cancelled. No one wants to go to Syracuse anyways.

Syracuse rules.