Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'm like 0-8 in the brawl so far. Seems good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Spiderdrake posted:

If you find yourself tilting please bear in mind these are stupidly unbalanced decks. The card quality is all over the place, sometimes you just draw the 9 bad cards in your deck or several tapped lands in a row making GBS threads up your tempo. I've had the knight deck do nothing for six games to like turn 10 and then kill someone on turn 6 the next game.

Singleton is usually more consistent simply because the card quality isn't all over the map.
There is also reportedly a release of Doom 64 but I glossed over everything else.

Yeah I enjoy Singleton but so far Brawl has been like 1-10 where the one win was due to a guy conceding immediately. I want to have some more game modes to enjoy so I'll try again later when the game isn't giving my opponents all their good cards. The ranked queue in platinum seems softer tonight, though, so it's not all bad.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I like the idea of the event letting you use some of the cards a little early, but I don't like how clunky the deck building interface is while it's in its intermediate form. Can't filter for ELD cards yet there's a Standard 2020 format in the deck builder. At least some of my existing decks from the block constructed event still work. Also I'm really glad I don't have to grind it for the 200xp. I assume being at 88 I'll hit 100 before the end. To reiterate earlier sentiments about it, if you buy the mastery tree then you shouldn't really require going to any special lengths to fill it out.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Lone Goat posted:

you can filter for ELD cards by typing e:eld into the search parser

I stand corrected. Does buying the preorder let you use more than the cards from the brawl event rewards? I assumed the preorder packs wouldn't be able to be opened until the set release.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

AnEdgelord posted:

So I went on a pretty huge tear through the event with this deck:

4 Field of the Dead
1 Plaza of Harmony
1 Temple of Mystery
1 Thornwood Plaza
1 Island (335)
1 Forest (347)
1 Mountain (343)
1 Breeding Pool
1 Steam Vents
1 Stomping Ground
1 Gateway Plaza
2 Simic Guildgate
2 Gruul Guildgate
2 Izzet Guildgate
1 Orzhov Guildgate
2 Azorius Guildgate
1 Boros Guildgate
2 Selesnya Guildgate
2 Dimir Guildgate
1 Rakdos Guildgate
2 Golgari Guildgate
4 Arboreal Grazer
4 Golos, Tireless Pilgrim
2 Hydroid Krasis
1 Archway Angel
4 Growth Spiral
4 Guild Summit
4 Gates Ablaze
4 Circuitous Route
1 Command the Dreadhorde
1 Jace, Wielder of Mysteries

(source:https://www.channelfireball.com/articles/going-under-the-defense-and-over-the-top-in-post-rotation-standard/)

Deck owns and will just run over 99% of the durdly do nothing decks with boardwipes and lifegain to insulate yourself from the aggro decks. Only issue I really ran into is that you have a huge problem with planeswalkers, Narset in particular. Without sideboards its harder to correct that but until we get those I probably recommend finding some way to slot a few Assassin's Tropies into the deck.

Pretty fun alternative to the old gates decks when it goes off. Thornwood Plaza should be Thornwood Falls for the deck import to work, it's incorrect in the original article.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'm at the bottom of Diamond 4 and I just played mythic ranked #225. I've lost most of my games tonight so I guess they were throwing me an easy one? They conceded to my slow mill lifegain bullshit vs. their rakdos judith aggro so I'm sure they weren't thrilled. The matchmaker is weird as hell.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'm at the bottom of Diamond 4 and just played the #17 ranked mythic player. This is similar to my post from the other day when I got matched against another high ranked mythic player despite being way down here. I've been losing all night so I don't know why the matchmaker is trying to gently caress with me so much.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I think the profile page thing is just showing next to mastery to indicate the end date for core 2020 mastery. Mine's kind of glowy and makes sound and does an animation if I click it but doesn't really do anything else.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Yeah I couldn't make much traction with grixis decks this month so I ended up finishing up the climb to mythic with vampires. I think I was playing the new player vampires deck about a year ago when I started, so it was a little nostalgic, kind of.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

JerryLee posted:

After realizing I'd made it to 100 without even thinking about it, I went back and bought the mastery pass with the gems I'd earned drafting with gold :toot:

Pretty neat that you can buy the mastery pass with F2P gems and come out significantly ahead once you factor in the gold, ICRs and packs you get for it. Shame my cat and lovely card styles will make me look like a dirty whale now, though :smith:

Yeah it's a really good deal if you're going to 100. I paid for it with drafting, too, and despite not drafting much in the meantime I'm 70 gems from my next mastery pass. Optimizing gem spending seems like something magic players would be good at so I doubt anyone will care about the cosmetics.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I feel like 10k games is a lot for one year but I guess if I'm getting my 15 wins a day in and it takes around 30 that makes sense.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

axeil posted:

What is this email you all are referring to?

They sent out an email around midnight EDT with the subject "You have opened 641 booster packs!" or whatever your amount is. It contains stats on your games played, gold earned, etc, and promises a code for a fblthp avatar and card sleeve will show up within the next week.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

GrandpaPants posted:

So I know Wizards lol etc., but I didn't receive this e-mail?

It's probably a staggered release so they're not sending out a million emails at once or whatever.

e: fb

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Funkdreamer posted:

Card style codes for those unaware:

ThatsWild
TisAScratch
Crumbelina
FoodCourt

They expire in 24 hours apparently

Thanks for posting these, it's just cosmetics but I hate missing out on free stuff.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Spiderdrake posted:

How are people liking Robber of the Rich? I've seen it once. It exiled an egg from the top of my library while playing dancer. Opponent did not win that game.

It's no thief of sanity but it can be pretty good in aggro decks where you're dumping your hand into low cost stuff so it goes off a lot. On the first day I made one of the rakdos aggro decks with it and while it sometimes just dies, it can be a good threat. It also helps that it doesn't have to do damage to let you cast cards it exiled on previous turns. If there's something useful sitting there it can be worth a suicidal attack with it just to be able to play whatever it is. I think overall it's pretty well balanced because it's situational.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

A Moose posted:

Why is everybody ragequitting or dcing or whatever. Everyone's playing so slow I can't even tell if they DC

At first I figured that people were reading the new cards. Now I'm pretty sure everyone is a huge rear end in a top hat who wants to waste my time to the point where they rope on their mulligan.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I went 5-2 with Golos Field and it seemed pretty good. First loss to was another Golos deck that uses Agent of Treachery (mine doesn't) and seems to have a couple of tools like that to make it better against mirror matches. Second loss was to a gruul aggro deck that was quick with riot creatures and buffs. I would've been able to turn the game around with one more turn but that's how it goes! I don't like the event type but I don't think it's possible to take the possibility of getting all 12 seriously since it's more luck than anything to get that kind of streak going so I liked it more than say, Momir events which I just don't enjoy at all.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Zyla posted:

this is what i hate most about it, its like they're playing solitaire

One of my opponents in Bo3 was playing a golgari midrange deck and sideboarded in some assassin's trophy to take out my field of the dead lands. It almost worked but I sideboarded in unmoored ego to get those out of his deck. He also added some Duress to make it harder for me to ramp.

I also had a Dimir mill deck hit me up with Ashiok to make my Circuitous Route and Golos not able to search the library. I didn't really have a good way to ramp up lands because of it.

Golos Field kind of reminds me of the old gates deck where you're not too worried about anything other than ramping up and wiping the opponent's board. Eventually you'll win if they can't kill you fast enough or remove your threats before you have enough mana for huge hydroid krasises or whatever else you want to do. It's kind of a laid back play style and it's pretty effective right now.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Yeah, I played some RDW tonight instead of Golos field as well. I powered through from the top of plat 3 to diamond 4. With Golos field yesterday I slid from plat 2 to plat 3 and it seemed a lot harder than it had been prior to the 12 win eldraine event. I think that woke some people up. With RDW, instead of relying on lucky draws I was just almost always killing the opponent by turn 5. I almost never play aggro so it felt kind of stupid how easy it was but I assume a lot of people are trying to tune decks against field and it's just not helping them against aggro. I did see at least three mardu knights decks which was interesting although they're not as fast as you'd imagine.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

axeil posted:

Deck list for your RDW? I played exclusively RDW on the ladder before rotation because it had fast games.

I was trying out the first deck in this tweet that was posted earlier:
https://twitter.com/KanyeBestMTG/status/1182017967246254080

It's a little rares heavy so I subbed out one of the castles for another mountain. Since I hadn't played monored in a while I was surprised at how useful Slaying Fire is. Having it bump up to 4 damage when cast with red mana takes out a lot more stuff than you'd think. Cavalcade decks may be a little bit cheaper but this seems good, well, as good as any red aggro.

Torbran is expensive to craft but his effect is pretty amazing. I had more than one time when opponents didn't account for the +2 damage when I attacked with a fervent champion and lost a blocker for nothing.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Woo that standard metagame challenge is rough. I managed to scratch out 5 wins with the Torbran RDW deck only to lose when in back to back games I flooded out with mountains and then subsequently got one land in my first 15 cards. The most surprising opponent I had was one playing an Improbably Alliance token making deck. The rest were golos field, cavalcade rdw and an Oko powered up Tolsimir wolf deck.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

Still playing stompy, still think it's probably the best Bo1 deck right now. It's very bad in Bo3, and I expect that a fields ban will hurt its standing in the meta pretty hard, but it was fun while it lasted.

I was having trouble bouncing around Diamond 4 and 3. I built your stompy green deck and just hit mythic with it a couple of nights later. I like it a lot because it seems to have a fair chance against almost any opponent. Sometimes you just peter out if you get hit hard by removal or sometimes the opponent draws better than you and floods the board with zombies but I think it's a good BO1 deck to compete against almost anything else right now. It can be faster than RDW and it can outpace Golos field, it just depends on the draws.

Previously I was playing some RDW, some golos field, and some other random stuff just trying to work my way through Diamond but I had a lot of really severe loss streaks since I guess everyone knows they'll see RDW and Golos FotD so they're ready for it. Monogreen is one that people aren't quite as prepared for. I think my most disappointing losses were to surprise Embercleave decks.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Rhaegar posted:

No Mythic codes for free packs this time?

"Since hearthstone is cancelled now we don't have to give out anything for free"
-some wotc exec, probably.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Now that the FotD nightmare is over it's time for green stompy to be favored in every match up.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Hovering around mythic #500 with Gareth's green stompy deck in BO1. In previous seasons I've always been a mythic % player.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Oko can't hang with the shifting ceratops.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Zyla posted:

i wish there were more keyboard shortcuts i have really lovely hands that have arthritis and dragging every card out and attackers and stuff sucks and gets extremely tiresome quickly.

I agree with you, there should be some more commands that are fast. The only one I don't see people use often is that if a stack is big enough to have a 4x or larger multiplier on it you can click the multiplier and the whole stack will do whatever. Not always useful but it makes things faster sometimes.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I never lost a brawl to petitioners with a Torbran red deck but they're probably okay against something else. I've been playing it a lot because it's fast wins and I think I'm at about 45 wins 8 losses.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

NutShellBill posted:

I could use some advice on how to avoid the absolute LEGIONS of timeout scumming assholes who take 45 seconds per action, and milk everything with the hopes that I'll get bored and leave.

I don't play this game so much as wait for the flashing tab in my toolbar to let me know when my opponent has deigned to actually DO something.

Does it get better as you rank up?

It gets a little bit better but there's idiots at every rank. I think at higher ranks you have less chance of running into someone who's truly new to the game and has to read what everything does, though. I'm hitting some ropers in platinum tonight, but I think a few of them really are just thinking really hard. Generally at the higher ranks I figure that players realize that ranking up takes time and if they value their time they won't dawdle too much.

Well, except for the red deck guy who kept roping me and when he finally got ahead emote spammed a bunch before tossing out his final direct damage. That guy was just a dickhead.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

One weird trick to win against blue mages with 20 counterspells.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

What a horrible event.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Big McHuge posted:

I feel like, being at the bottom of Plat 4 in limited, that I should not be matched with the #11 mythic player.

Yeah the game seems to do that sometimes, it's funny when you win but rare. Seems like you should get bumped up higher than a single pip if so.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Zero VGS posted:

The opposite, it is receiving an Errata that states "A deck may contain any number of Oko, Thief of Crowns"

Oops, all Okos!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Propaganda Hour posted:

It's not out yet. The B&R team has to go get lunch at Chipotle for three hours before we get our list.

Reports are that their Food turned into an Elk and they were unable to ban Oko.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Kawabata posted:

Does that mean we all need to craft Cavaliers now?

No, Embercleave. It's the new card to want banned.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Took like three games of historic to hit some nexus of fate rear end in a top hat. Historic is cancelled.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I lied about historic being cancelled, I made it through the rest of diamond using this Gruul historic deck someone posted earlier in the thread. It's pretty brutal and the only bad match ups that felt unwinnable were Simic food with Oko and Wicked Wolf on the field eating all my guys.
https://twitter.com/Mansonian01/status/1199797252421799937

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

It's fun to see the old powerful cards I remember from the mid 90s like moxes and ancestral recall and lotus and also some ones I skipped when I wasn't playing for 20-some years. The original mox art is better though.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I haven't been thrilled with standard the last couple of seasons but I finally hit mythic with mono red with embercleave. Like a lot of fast aggro decks it can outpace flash and did better for me than the Torbran RDW I was playing before it. I got into Diamond with Jeskai fires in BO3 but it was consistently having issues getting its threats out in an orderly fashion once I got into diamond. I tried some cat oven deck but I found my opponents were either teching against it or I'd just never draw the ovens or cats.

I did diamond 3 to mythic with the first deck in this tweet that was posted in the thread a couple of days ago. Most losses were to the rakdos embercleave deck with rotting regisaurs:
https://twitter.com/nickvaldeezy/status/1207171241343377408

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

zoux posted:

There are only ever three conversations in this thread and this is certainly one of them.

*ropes vengefully*

Thread: Ah gently caress, I can't believe you've done this

https://twitter.com/nickvaldeezy/status/1207171241343377408

The most fun deck I played last season was deezy's Mardu Doom deck, this drops the red splash for straightforward discard and it's pretty fun.

One more thing, I'd like to plug mtgazone.com, unlike most MtG sites it's arena focused and updates regularly with new decklists as well as guides for archetypes, and they are also a great clearinghouse for patch info, spoilers, and other game news. ChannelFireball is great but they devote most of their stuff to paper and formats we can't play in arena. The site has improved greatly since I first came across it and I'd encourage dishonorable netdeckers like myself to check it out.

Okay so now that I can relax in the red zone, that doom deck is a lot of fun, I played it a bunch last night.