Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I just decided to give this game a go.
Last time I played magic, my secret weapon was my superior understanding of the difference between instant and interrupt. So my knowledge is a bit outdated.

I am trying to unlock those two-color starter decks right now. Are there cross wheel starter decks hidden somewhere? Like red-blue.
Also, is modifying the starter decks a good place to start on deck building?

While googling that, I stumbled on the official howto post for the tutorial, and it gave me 18 free boosters. Shouldn't that sort of thing be in the OP, or are 18 boosters worth a lot less then they seem?
From how I understand the gatcha mechanics, I should unlock all the starter decks before opening those boosters. Is that true?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

The Clowner posted:

Got a link to that?
It was this one:
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/magic-gathering-arena-starter-guide-2020-01-17

I also found some people talking about a twitch prime deck, but it is either gone or not available in my region.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Is there an automatic way to exchange your deck's lands into all the available variants of that land? So that all of my lands look different for that strange nostalgia.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I am looking for a good game log parser.
I mainly want the ability to review a previously played game. I found mtgatracker which can display current log as an overlay. But the display of old games seems to be bugged out.
And everything else seems to require sign ups to work.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I just had the dumbest match ever:

I ran out of cards despite having only around 5 cards of extra draw and 4 cards worth of self-mill. My opponent was down to 5ish cards, too.
I was down to 2 life at one point and healed about 20 life using tymmie and the warden. My opponent also had a bit of healing on the side and I did probably more then 20 damage total using the dreams of the underworld.

My plan : Attack with everything, do 2 damage with the flyer and he dies to the draw proc of underworld dreams on his turn.
My estimation of his plan : Remember that he has a heal for sacrifice and let me die to my empty library.
Actual ending : He forgets that tymmie has trample and dies to that.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Today it was the fist time I had the same rare in two packs in a draft.
It was a pair of Breeding Pools.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Now that I can afford brawl, I have a question:
What is Brawl?

Also, I followed the advice on only crafting non-rares at the beginning. Found a nice 0-rare deck based on cavalcade.
And now when I look to check if I can afford new decks I lack the uncommons to do so.
And I have a lot of problems getting anything together without crafting that operates at a comparable level to my aggro deck.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

The two funniest things about playing cheap red aggro are:

My opponent resigning/making suicidal mistakes in situations where I would win if I had embercleave/thorbin.
Beating those expensive red aggro decks, where someone plays a mythic card for every of my commons. Each card does the same as my card, only better. But they still lose due to red aggro's randomness.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Yes, I am using a cheap version of that:
And currently I am considering buying some embercleaves and torbrans and bonecrushers and to slot them in for the random stuff I already had. I think I only bought the anaxes, tins and cavalcades.
But the deck already has me close to diamond rank, and it already is very hard to avoid getting curbstomped when I try out some casual style deck idea.

Deck
4 Cavalcade of Calamity (RNA) 95
4 Light Up the Stage (RNA) 107
4 Tin Street Dodger (RNA) 120
1 Grim Initiate (WAR) 130
4 Chandra's Spitfire (M20) 132
1 Scampering Scorcher (M20) 158
4 Scorch Spitter (M20) 159
3 Shock (M20) 160
1 Torch Courier (GRN) 119
4 Anax, Hardened in the Forge (THB) 125
4 Infuriate (THB) 141
18 Mountain (THB) 285
1 Legion Warboss (GRN) 109
2 Skewer the Critics (RNA) 115
2 Dwarven Mine (ELD) 243
1 Phoenix of Ash (THB) 148
2 Shadowspear (THB) 236

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I have been playing Arena for almost exactly one month now. And I just made it to Mythic.

The most fun part about running a budget version of RDW is:
Stomping the expensive version of RDW on turn 4 because those 20ish extra rares make less difference then playing first. And because they fail to take advantage of my weaker cards, because they think I have the more expensive versions on my hand.

What does that 90% line on the mythic rank mean?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

The fires deck feels quite terrible. I got this as a starting hand, and in retrospect it was a good one:

I am 0-5ish, all against the red deck. With the fires deck always being matched against the fires deck, being unable to cast anything before turn 4 makes it hard win as the cav deck can kill you on turn 4 with a bit of luck.
The golgari and the flash deck are OK.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I just notice that the cavalcade deck has no Anax. :psyduck: I thought that my opponents just were having mediocre draws.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Is there some thing about the preconstructed matchmaking that prevents mirror matches? I have never had one.

9:6 for the current event. And all my losses were with the fires deck against the red deck. And one of my 2 wins was one where my opponent would have one if he had the lands for t4 torban. The other one I was matched against the simic deck instead, which is slower.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

The current workshop is the dumbest. And the best.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Boco_T posted:

What's the list for the bad version of mono red that someone in this thread made it to Mythic with in Bo1? I scrolled back like 8 pages and couldn't find it.
This got me into diamond, after which I bought 2 torbans and 2 embercleaves to get me to mystic.

Deck
4 Cavalcade of Calamity (RNA) 95
4 Light Up the Stage (RNA) 107
4 Tin Street Dodger (RNA) 120
1 Grim Initiate (WAR) 130
4 Chandra's Spitfire (M20) 132
1 Scampering Scorcher (M20) 158
4 Scorch Spitter (M20) 159
3 Shock (M20) 160
1 Torch Courier (GRN) 119
4 Anax, Hardened in the Forge (THB) 125
4 Infuriate (THB) 141
18 Mountain (THB) 285
1 Legion Warboss (GRN) 109
2 Skewer the Critics (RNA) 115
2 Dwarven Mine (ELD) 243
1 Phoenix of Ash (THB) 148
2 Shadowspear (THB) 236

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

the goblin deck is ironically the slowest but probably the strongest once it gets going, since it’s the only deck with removal and has the best card advantage too. It doesn’t really explode like the green deck or become unstoppable like the white deck, but you reach board states with 3 Warchiefs where you can go siege gang for 2, sac two tokens to cast two ringleaders, more siege gangs, etc. you can also sac blockers to stop the cat deck gaining life.
If by unstoppable you mean: Spend a few turns desperately holding on while praying that you draw that flying card before you die.

Goblins does feel the most consistent.
But Black has the best chances of getting its combo going.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

What is your favourite brawl mirror match?

I just had an hilarious Haktos vs. Haktos fight.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Mike N Eich posted:

i like the idea of these Precon events, especially for decks that are allowed to break the rules and such, but the ones they've done so far have been so Bland and Vanilla and also super Unbalanced. if you're gonna do unbalanced crazy shenanigans, cool! Lets do it, but its boring to watch my opponent chain 4 Return of the Wildspeaker and cast 23 Llanowar Elves followed by an End-Raze Boars, that isn't fun
Why is it boring? There is an above 50% chance that green fails to draw that Boar and rage quits.

On the other hand, literally all my wins against the red deck were situations where my opponent obviously had lethal, but failed to capitalise.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

SalTheBard posted:

I have a couple of Brawl questions:

1) Is Brawl still free to play right now or do you have to pay for it still? (I thought I heard something about it being free right now)
2) What is a good "entry level" Brawl deck? I'm torn between Yarok, Torbran and Nikya.
Torbran is almost to strong. I think it leads to boring games.
Yarok is probably the strongest of the fun to play commanders.

My favourite brawl decks are Judith and Teyesa. They are both in the starter decks (I think) and make for fun combos.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

What would you guys cut?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

You have a lot of cards that shouldn't be in a deck like this. Did you start with Klothys and then chase RG without seeing enough actual good cards to be in that colour?

1 Chainweb Aracnir, Ilysian Caryatid, Setessan Skirmisher, Plummet, Irreverent Revelers, Setessan Petitioners, Furious Rise, Thundering Chariot, Nyxborn Brute

Play a 17th land.

No loving chance you cut Thrill when this deck is filled with so much garbage.

I did see only one really good not-RG card in the whole first pack. Afterwards I just stuck with RG. I simply suck at drafting.

Rise worked pretty well, until that last game where it was triggering of the escaped arachnir but I still only drew lands for over 5 turns.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

The music choice for the trailer is so dumb, I thought it was still yesterday.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Deathcorona. Best card idea.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I just played a game where I had 0 cards in my library for the last 5 turns.
Because as long as I had my Underrealm Lich, I don't technically draw cards.

During those turns I had a pair of Pharika's spawns that I escaped around 6 times total. Then I had worn down his defender low enough to kill him.

I suppose this deck needs a bit less self-mill and a bit more payoff.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

Might I suggest Polukranos?
If I was in the mood to spend wildcards, he would already be in there.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Can Act of Betrayal + Fling kill Thassa, the invincible? Probably only if you have enough devotion to make her stay a creature, right?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

That netdecking event is pretty fun for chumps like me, who can't afford those crazy cards normally.

Also, when your arena client isn't set to English you can't import decklists from English websites. :psyduck:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I just read through but does that imply that mechagozilla is only available in japanese? And that it has one of dumbest abilities?

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/ikoria-lair-behemoths-variants-2020-04-03

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Everybody is using the event to try out the top meta deck that they usually couldn't afford. And Aristocats is the funniest of the current top.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Another beginner's drafting question: What would you pick here?

Part of me thinks that taking a common over a rare is wasteful unless I am certain that the common fits the rest of my deck, especially when it is strong in standard. On the other hand it seems pretty greedy to pick a rare that is that is that unlikely to be useful.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Kanfy posted:

I've gone a bit back and forth between Light and Apathy, and it's definitely somewhat close. Apathy is also searchable by Heliod's Pilgrims which are a core white common and as mentioned less vulnerable to all the maindeckable enchant removal (and cards like Flicker). Light is the far better bomb eraser though, targeting anything from Ashiok to Shadowspear.

The more interesting thing about that P1P1 is that it has four playable cards in the least popular color which is blue and complete trash in both black and green. It should be a fairly informative wheel on which colors are likely to be open, specifically on how many if any blue cards will come back and if the extremely low-priority cards in the more popular colors will be there or not.
I have absolutely no idea how to tell what colors are open.
I just went through the first pack, and I feel like going blue-white:
https://www.17lands.com/draft/0e4218bf5b754f96b2d50f4afefa3ee3

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Another best part of playing brawl:
Swinging in for lethal with your commander on an otherwise empty board, while my opponent's planeswalker commander looks on from his boring planeswalker zone.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

How is it decided which death trigger runs first?

I was just in a situation where my opponent played massacre girl killing a large stack of tokens, and I only won because my vindictive vampire triggered before his Syd.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I am still mostly playing brawl, and I just had an amazing token tribal vs. token tribal match.

I won because my tokens can fly, and his couldn't. He actually survived this round due to lifegain, but couldn't turn the game around.

Playing this game offline would have been a fate worse then death.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

In Brawl, if I let my commander go to the graveyard and she gets moved to exile from there; do I get a new chance to move her to the command zone?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

MTGA has opened that all cards brawl, and I have no idea what is even in historic. Does anybody have any cool archetypes to suggest? Or any OP historc cards that fit into a standard Orzhov Sacrifice/Token deck?

Zero VGS posted:

One time with Mirror March in Arena, I won something like 16 coinflips in a row. Whatever it was I remember it coming out to 1:32000 odds. The thing is, I've to this day gotten off maybe a dozen total mirror marches and more than half have been extremely unlikely flips like 6-8 heads in a row. I think the psuedorandom generator might have been a little wonky. This is the same company that made every booster pack give a Mythic WC for 3 hours straight, after all.
People consistently underestimate how likely streaks are. 16 Heads are as likely as any other combination of flips.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP-Ipsat90c

Here is what you actually want from Arena. A less random system that feels more random to people:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5qnnxFoBss

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I like Ikora for its variety of cat-related tokens.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I just noticed that the Brawl event doesn't give you all cards, like the last event in that series did.

So no fancy decks for me. I don't have so much wildcards

At least that explains why my first two opponents had normal decks.
Playing against that dino tribal deck was fun though.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Somberbrero posted:

Are codes from the previous digital fnm events still good? I have a bunch left over from my store if anyone missed them.

Can you message me one? I live in a region without real game stores.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

There was also that "you can deckbuild with all cards" event recently.
I played at least a match with most meta decks, to find one that I like. If that gets repeated, it is perfect to find your first serious deck.