Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

zoux posted:

Oh man the literal monkey's paw

This should have been a wish effect instead of a tutor. It's a monkey's paw damnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

This really doesn't work anywhere near as well because most of feather's creatures won't actually win that fight but will easily take 2 to deal 4. Maybe if it runs that red equipment knight instead of adanto?

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

So what does a bant golos list look like, if I can't beat em might as well join em.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Drewjitsu posted:

T1 scorch spitter
T2 Rimrock knight, attack with ss = 18
T3 Bone crusher giant, attack with ss and rk = 13
T4 Torbran, Thane of Red Fell, attack with ss (6), rk (5) and bg (6) = opponent at - 4.

Torbran is pretty nuts in RDW. If Torbran was slaying fire instead the opponent would be at 1 life on T5, and die to scorch spitter ping.

It's very possible to goldfish a T5 kill in this format.

Also works, t1 scorch spitter, t2 cavalcade attack =17, t3 cavalcade scorch spitter = 13, t4 torban for the kill.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Mike N Eich posted:

this reminded me, why did Risen Reef seemingly disappear from the meta since the start of Eldraine? The Elemental decks didn't really lose anything, and it synergizes with Field too

Elementals wasn't actually a good deck and risen reef sometimes shows up in golos/fires lists as another accelerant.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Also cavalcade.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

pointsofdata posted:

I think a Krasis ban is well overdue. For any deck that produces a decent amount of mana in a slow format it produces so much value. (And it would make both nissa and golos decks worse)

At least one simic food deck someone brought and did well with wasn't even running krasis, it's the oko/nissa/wolf package that's putting in so much work.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Oceanbound posted:

What's worse, Esper mirror hell or Food mirror hell

Esper is still worse because nobody is going to lose a food mirror to library size after no one has any threats left in their deck.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

MRLOLAST posted:

What can I buy in paper magic that I can redeem in MtgA. The plainswalkers decks? Do they have any good cards?

Nothing important and no.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Huxley posted:

You can find SCG interviews with him from before he started streaming where he sounds like a normal human being. I think his kids wandered into a stream once and asked him to "stop talking like that."

I don't know how much of the mr pissy britches attitude is actual him vs his brand at this point, but the voice at the very least is an affectation.

The attitude appears to not be an act at least. Him being a giant baby got him uninvited after he wouldn't shut up about the bo1 tournament that one time.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Doltos posted:

Wouldn't it make games go faster because people are milling out lands and are getting their cards instead?

Nah, in paper anything that causes a shuffle is going to add a not insignificant amount of time. People aren't great at it in general and fetches mean it can happen a lot even in a single game.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

No Wave posted:

ok, explain once upon a time.

Once upon a time was a modern horizons card they couldn't fit into that set, so it was put into eldraine.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Sinteres posted:

The whole 'we have this brand new play design process to make sure everything works as intended' thing really doesn't seem to be going as smoothly anymore.

Honestly there is no way play design wouldn't catch this, this isn't some non-intuitive combo it's just a case of extremely good generic value. Something either changed at the last minute or someone higher up wanted a busted mythic to sell packs.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Dpulex posted:

Looking forward to the next set where we get a 2 mana 5 loyalty walker that ruins the meta

Wren and Six already did that for legacy.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Kashuno posted:

Hey I took a couple weeks off did anyone build a deck that stomps Oko decks?

Not really, the most popular option right now is just play oko and also the black cards that kill oko to use on the one across the table.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Paul Zuvella posted:

turn 2 oko and turn 3 nissa is literally impossible

I think you can technically do it with leyline of abundance but if someone ever pulled that off I would be less mad than I would be flabbergasted.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

The meta was definitely better with field but it wasn't good, just slightly less crappy. They both need to go.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Veil was printed when standard was in the middle of esper hell. I'm glad it exists because resolving a spell is more fun than not and it gets shut down by teferi anyway.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Paul Zuvella posted:

Sup man the difference between 1 and 2 mana is MASSIVE

e: the strangest thing about veil is that its both extremely efficient, extremely diverse, and powerful

And then it cantrips for some reason.

I don't get why it cantrips at all. Its not like the other m20 color hosers cantrip, why did they add a cantrip onto the most powerful one for no reason. Cards that literally only exist to 2 for 1 your opponent are a problem

It probably cantrips because it's just Autumn's veil with a cantrip and hexproof for the player stapled on and no one played that card.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Mega Comrade posted:

When will the bans go live in Arena after announcement?

We don't know, field took 2 days but it was also an emergency ban. I'd really hope the arena team is able to shorten that since they had to know something was coming.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

No Wave posted:

how does this combo work?

Using a shock land triggers spectacle for opponents. But drill bit is a sorcery so that shouldn't work?

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

Ok so after burning 2 Gold WC to finish my Fires of Invention I immediately realized that i hate all these Grixis/Jeskai fires builds.

Goons please help me brew MARDU FIRES! I'm thinking either just running wall to wall value enchantments with Cavalier of Dawn, Realm-Cloaked Giant, Chandra, Liliana and Sarkhan as my finishing moves. I'm considering the Footlight Fiend tech to stall until I can hit 4-5 mana, and I'm considering some Blood For Bones action maybe, but can't find a Mardu way of getting Drakuseth and Villis into my graveyard. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I'm a devout netdecker, I usually don't enjoy brewing at all, but honestly there are so many dope enchantments in Standard right now and Fires of Invention seems bad in decks that want to be running Blue mana. Mardu decks rarely have interaction up for your opponents turn, so I feel like untapping with Fires in a Mardu deck gets you more value out of it than say a Jeskai deck.
merchant of the vale, rankle, and loch dragon all technically work.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

BioThermo posted:

I don't play rakdos or know how pinched double black would be with tournament grounds and ~22 lands, but Regisaur -> Spawn of Mayhem strikes me as a solid swap to not get chumped on the ground forever.

I'd make the declaration that Spawn is underplayed and underrated and should be played by more decks in general, but, Teferi and Borrower.

You generally aren't worried about regisaur getting chumped, rakdos wants to put embercleave on it and then have 16 trample damage going to face.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

I went 3-1 with elspeth after losing 0-2 with ashiok. The ashiok deck is better but i feel like fire and ice or sigil sword of valeron hit the table every game and then there was very little the ashiok deck can do against a lot of tokens. I also didn't see a single witch's vengeance which is probably related.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

ungulateman posted:

The part where the cat can move between zones at instant speed means graveyard hate is almost irrelevant unless it's insanely pushed. Even Cry of the Carnarium can technically be played around, though the Cat player has to see it coming and leave the cat in the graveyard except during the end step (which lets you attack them, in your deck running Cry, which is probably not optimal).

What we actually need is more maindeckable artifact hate. For a 1 cmc artifact. The fact that Thrashing Brontodon, one of the best maindeckable hate cards in Standard, trades so poorly with cat oven says a lot about how dumb the whole thing is. Even Embereth Shieldbreaker, which lines up way better against Oven and way worse against everything else, isn't good enough.

As for cards from Theros that are relevant against it, so far we have Tymaret (if you have 2x more mana open than they have food), Kunoros (if you are W/B), Erebos' Intervention (if you catch them with no food), Banishing Light (3 mana answer to a 1 cmc artifact), Cling to Dust (if you catch them with less food than times you can cast it), Binding of the Titans (if they completely punt), Klothys (again, if they completely punt), and Revoke Existence (2 mana narrow answer to a 1cmc artifact).

So basically, play black and hope your opponent doesn't play around the cards that can deal with it. And while you're playing black, may I interest you in this 8 card package that adds a lot of resilience and reach to your deck without much opportunity cost...?
fwiw cling to dust hits cat as long as they don't have more food than you have times you can cast it. You wait until the cat ability is on the stack and go for it then.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Setec_Astronomy posted:

Yes, but why is there not a ranked Theros option available? It’s bizarre that the only way to rank up in limited is to play an old (solved) format rather than a newer more competitive format.

Because the ranked theros costs gold and the other formats cost gems. That's the entire reason.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

A Big... Dog posted:

This game doesn't hand out enough wildcards. Discuss

It does except for the rares. I'm sitting on 17 mythics and 100+ of the other ones but i'm constantly sitting at 0 rares.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Zero VGS posted:

It occurs to me I have never once seen anyone play an Athreos, Shroud-Veiled.

Buy a box promos are generally not supposed to be constructed playable. It's a fun build around for commander.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Went 7-1 in sealed with this deck, quartzwood crasher just takes over the game if they can't immediately deal with it and ram through is amazing removal.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Have any of the mutate creatures had a big impact? I know everyone is focused on companions right now but i'm still curious.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Funkdreamer posted:

We've never had a Flash planeswalker before have we? That would be kind of cool

Cast with flash? no. Use loyalty abilities as though they had flash? Teferi, temporal archmage's ult.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Shooting Blanks posted:

I could see it as an alternate wincon for Jeskai cycling to Zenith Flare if someone figures out a way to make that competitive, but thespaceinvader is right. Probably not.

The main issue is the cycling decks don't ever want to pay more than 1 for cycling, which is why they aren't running yidaro already. Hitting all your cycle triggers twice as often is more important than having something that would be smaller than a fox by the time it's actually on the field.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

I dispute the idea that preventing you from playing you Commander says “gently caress you” to the format. The format is ALSO about a singleton deck having the tools it needs to succeed in a highly variable meta, and unlike many of the other hate pieces in Standard, Magistrate literally has no protection.

Magistrate ONLY negatively impacts Planeswalker Brawl decks that rely on their Commander as their signature removal spell or mana engine (Tef3ri, the UG untapper, Bolas). Like what is Drannith Magistrate stopping you from doing, what has your experience been fighting that card? Is it appreciably different from a T2 Hushbringer against most of the popular Braw decks?

They banned meddling mage from historic brawl specifically because of the commander thing, they don't want cards in the format that say you can't play your commander and my guess is drannith magistrate isn't long for this world.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Simone Poodoin posted:

Of course it's a terrible idea and I hope they don't do it, but they might.

They've already said they're an ikoria only thing, and the response to the backlash now sure as poo poo isn't going to be "double down" if they're banning cards in any format before they're available everywhere in paper.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

The response is absolutely everyone loves Ikoria, we just all hate what companions have done to the game. I don’t think anyone has a problem with companions in the abstract it’s just that the specific ones we were given turned out to amplify the absolute worst that standard has to offer right now

No, lots of people have problems with companions even in abstract. Maro has been getting bombarded about it even before the set was out on arena.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

drewmoney posted:

I don't want to draft, but I don't want to waste my entry token. Do I just use it on a premier draft entry , take the best cards in each pick I don't have and then forfeit?

Considering a large amount of the reward for a premier draft is based on winning that is still wasting the token. Just do it normally and don't buy in again if you don't like it.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Elephant Ambush posted:

I'm enjoying black Lurrus and white Lurrus. I hope that lovely new rule is fake.

It might have changed again since discussion of what to do about companions was apparently ongoing but the source is reliable so it was real at the point it was leaked.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

TipTow posted:

I know Arena is Always Correct, so could someone explain to me why a Gruul Spellbreaker was able to pick haste when it ETB while I had a Hushbringer on the board?

I'm not sure if hushbringer stops them from being able to pick, but if a riot creature can't have a +1/+1 counter put on it than it gains haste.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

A Moose posted:

also, its the first creature that steals permanents on ETB that doesn't give them back when it leaves play, and they designed it to be flickered, which is why it has that card draw ability. They could have added a kicker like Goblin Ruinblaster so it doesn't trigger repeatedly, they could have only made it steal when it was cast. I don't think the card is safe at any cost, as long as you can use Lukka or reanimate it, its too good. Even Hostage Taker is more forgiving. Even if they can cast the card they steal immediately, you can still save your card by responding to the ETB with instant speed removal.

He's joking that you didn't read his post all the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

JakeP posted:

Will you be able to use this ability on opponents turn if you have T3fari's +1 ability active?

No, one is an action you can take when you could normally cast a sorcery and the other let's you treat sorcery cards as if they had flash.