Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

endlessmonotony posted:

Welp I've been playing Phyrexian Legion in jumpstart.

Glad to see the decks can be just entirely worthless.

My second jumpstart deck was well-read under the sea and after 12 straight losses of barely managing to get any creatures on the board I resigned and started over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf

Mooseontheloose posted:

20 years later and I still hate mill decks. They just feel smug.

They're great for quick wins in the play queue though; I'd say a solid 60% of people just scoop the instant Teferi's Tutelage drops

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf

Funkdreamer posted:

The only Proper Use of the Play queue is for mill decks

:hmmyes:

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf
According to their twitter, maintenance starts in 20 minutes and is expected to last 3 hours, so I'd assume after that

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf

Lone Goat posted:

who told these people Kitesail is a high pick how does this keep happening

It was a superstar in my first sealed draft, where nobody I played against had any response to fliers (other than general removal) but it's been pretty underwhelming otherwise.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I never see anyone actually play their Drannith Healers either. Like 1W for fucktons of free healing sounds pretty good, surely 2 mana is worth it to give yourself way more of a safety net to cycle all your cards, right?

The Healers usually get cycled to play into the primary strategy of the deck, which is to whittle down your opponent as fast as possible so you can Flare them and win; the secondary wincons are to pump the Foxes or spread with the Rescuers enough to win through direct damage, so cycling them also supports this. The pittance of life you get from having them in play is far outweighed by the slowdown to your win strategy, so if you are able to play a Fox, Rescuer or Stinger, it's a much better move.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf
FYI, the ZNR quick draft isn't currently awarding full-art lands, even though the promo text would seem to indicate it should apply to all ZNR draft types.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf

plainswalker75 posted:

FYI, the ZNR quick draft isn't currently awarding full-art lands, even though the promo text would seem to indicate it should apply to all ZNR draft types.

Lol, apparently this is intentional; thanks a lot cheapskates

quote:

Thank you for contacting Wizards of the Coast Customer Support! I looked into your request and the full art Zendikar Rising lands are not provided for Quick Drafts, only Sealed and Traditional Draft events. I apologize for any confusion this may have caused.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf

VictualSquid posted:

I would say I suck at drafting, but after over 6 months of playing mtg again ZNR draft finally clicked for me. And now I am having fun drafting, instead of constantly being annoyed. Almost feel bad that I spent gold & gems on packs earlier.

If you have lots of gems there is also sealed, which is a better deal then packs most of the time.

Yeah I had a lot more success with sealed than I am with draft; I wish it were a more frequent rotation.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf

fadam posted:

The pass doesn’t end for a while, right?

It runs until Kaldheim is released, so probably another 40-50 days

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf
I don't have a deep historic bench, but I threw together an Izzet spells deck and it did the job pretty quickly.

Deck
3 Goblin Electromancer (GRN) 174
4 Swiftwater Cliffs (M21) 251
8 Island (M21) 263
8 Mountain (M21) 269
4 Frantic Inventory (M21) 50
3 Spelleater Wolverine (IKO) 137
4 Opt (M21) 59
4 Roil Eruption (ZNR) 155
4 Crash Through (M21) 140
4 Raking Claws (IKO) 131
4 Shock (M21) 159
4 Blazing Volley (IKO) 107
4 Spellgorger Weird (M21) 161
2 Scorching Dragonfire (ELD) 139

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf
FYI, since it doesn't appear to be appearing in search yet, someone on Reddit posted the direct link to the MTG Arena android app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.wizards.mtga

Edit:
VVVVVV Here's some further info on sideloading from reddit:

quote:

APK download from Play Store servers https://apk.support/download-app/com.wizards.mtga (default/default works)

Download the full (2021.1.0.440.zip), you need the OBB file if your device is unsupported

Guide:

Download the full 2GB file from above.

Extract it.

Install the APK. Run it, it will say missing files/unspported device.

Copy the OBB file from the extracted folder into the /Android/OBB/com.wizards.mtga folder

Start the game again and it should open the login screen and download additional files.

plainswalker75 fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 28, 2021

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf
If you do decide to play rogues, don't forget to read every card multiple times every single time you get priority; it's a key part of the win strategy apparently.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf

Spiderdrake posted:

Probably the blue wizard, half the elves are aloof dickbags who sit around passing their turn, and they have all the turns.

Some guys on a boat.

How about the Men of Laketown? There's like evil pirates and stuff too I think (isn't that who Aragorn steals all those ships from?).

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf

BioThermo posted:

Book of Exalted deeds banned in standard 2022 queue. Goes into effect with Friday patch, no wildcard refunds.

Well that was fast.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf
Don't the Brawl queues have the same kind of opponent matching as the Play queues, based on your deck's attributes, so you're more likely to see similar commanders?

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf

Huxley posted:

This feels very much like the kind of thing they could receive enough negative feedback on to back off of. I wonder if the "rebalanced Historic format" was even all that popular. Nobody really seemed to talk about it, and Historic is really fun without finding out if Teferi 3 is just as unfun at 4.

Though from their side, I get the appeal of being like, "Boy if we could just make Memory Lapse cost UU instead we wouldn't have to hand out 20 million rare wild cards ..."

e: Or hell, make it cost 2UU, which is just banning it without having to pay out.

"Rebalanced Historic" was a complete failure because they didn't encourage people to use the rebalanced cards in any way, so most of the matches used other format-defining decks that could just stomp through a few wins quickly to get the rewards

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf
The only one I had real trouble with was the Oko deck because it's way too slow to face any of the others except maybe Hofri

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf
The WotS trailer was so good it got me back into Magic after not thinking about it at all for 20 years

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf
Am I blind, or is there really no way to abandon the phantom draft and start over again?

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf

Pablo Nergigante posted:

This phantom draft is kind of boring since it seems like everyone including me has drafted the same blue/black pile

Not me, I drafted a B/G pile of crap because I figured I could just requeue if it didn't work right :(

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm not an expert at Magic, but it doesn't seem like Alrund's is particularly oppressing any given deck type, so wouldn't banning turns just make standard Mono G and Mono W aggro instead of the aggros and Turns?

The argument is that the wincon for Alrund's inherently feels oppressive, regardless of its place in the meta; being blown out because some jackass takes 5 turns in a row is not fun at all and is perceived very differently than getting blown out by a bunch of creatures.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf
Oh awesome, werewolf tokens don't have a backside and don't transform when day/night flips :smugjones:

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf

camoseven posted:

Midweek Magic is showing Esika's Chariot as being banned, but I can't find it on any of the lists :thunk:

It's an Alchemy queue so you need to swap in the Alchemy version of the card

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

Are there any metrics showing (I don't believe there are, as I believe this data is closely held by WOTC) or, alternatively, does anyone have a sense of, how the playing landscape has shifted since Alchemy came out, meaning specifically: how many folks that were playing Standard before are now playing Alchemy? Do people play both or just one or the other?

I stuck with Standard at first, then played a bit of Alchemy, and now am back to Standard and will probably continue to bounce back and forth. I don't play a lot, but the two formats seem pretty similar with the exception of Alchemy having Whelp decks.

Personally, I go play Alchemy when I'm tired of seeing the same decks every game in Standard and I play Standard when I'm tired of seeing the same decks every game in Alchemy; it's a horrible cycle.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf
It's absolutely hilarious just how many people forget Cloudsteel Kirin isn't Platinum Angel and has to be attached to a creature for its effect to be active; I've won three matches so far due this, including one where they didn't even bother to block for several turns after plopping down the Kirin! :roflolmao:

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf

VictualSquid posted:

From what I remember of the arguments, the current midweek event is exactly what the alchemy haters want historic to be. right?

Anyways, the usual advice: If you need budget historic just play mono-u tempo. People just resign when you play that second curiosity.

I forgot how brutally aggressive the cycling deck is, especially since a lot of people are running heavy discard decks in this queue :getin:

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf
It looks like all of the "Arena Basic" set is illegal in the BO1 queues too

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

When do cards from new sets get added to Jump In! packages?

Today, I'm pretty sure: https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-digital/jump-packets-update-streets-new-capenna-2022-04-27

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf
Connive (especially Raffine) is hilarious in limited since people forget their deck size is smaller; I just had my third match today that ended with my opponent milling themselves out.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf

C-Euro posted:

Good guess!
https://twitter.com/ianwadams/status/1539730066543759360?s=21&t=91JlBm2P4xEQKR-tsgKfpg

This one is at least a little cleaner. They really need to come up with a keyword for "you may spend mana of any color to cast this spell".

I'm really disappointed the dragon in the art doesn't change color to match the specialize color chosen

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

oh lol that I don't have enough common wildcards to put that together... I guess i should just bash something up, probably red

Rat Colony is an Uncommon ;)

Edit: poo poo, no it's not; I was confused by the Dominaria symbol

plainswalker75 fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jul 19, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Hair Elf
I used to like using Jump-In to cover my dailies if there was a color combination where I didn't have a deck I enjoyed playing (like Azorius), but the addition of the Baldur's Gate walls of text have really decreased my enjoyment of the format.