Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

kater posted:

Are all the built-in tells Arena has good or bad? I don't play counterspells so its not like I've seen them many times, but they just added visuals to check lands this last patch and I unno it seems a bit much. Not that I haven't been not paying attention before and screwed up.

Are you talking about the phases halting if you have something to play vs when you don't? If I have a instant or something I try to mash pass after the last thing I want to do for the turn resolves (like after combat) so it doesn't halt.

Elsewise, in one way I hate that there's a highlight if you, say, look at someones graveyard. On the other hand when the other person is playing I'll just go through their graveyard randomly. If I don't have a graveyard-targeting spell then I hope they keep thinking I do. Or instead if I do have a graveyard-targeting spell then maybe they'll just think I'm an idiot for looking a lot (which is kind of true). I do also highlight random cards in play a lot but mostly because I'm not familiar with them at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

God. I really wish there was a Wow! emote. It would be nice to compliment people at times, but right now I have gone 8 turns with the fairy deck without being able to play anything.

And it's also dumb that there's no explanation of how the new format works

The Sean fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Sep 7, 2019

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

fadam posted:

The coolest Gwyn of all time is a dude.

wtf does that mean?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

fadam posted:

It means that Gwyn isn’t exclusively a ladies name, pal.

Nah, you didn't mean it's not exclusively a woman's name. You specifically said the best Gwyn ever was a man. I'm flashing back now to the last thread where you had to defend yourself to multiple people that you're not alt right and I mentioned that your avatar looked like a white male mass murderer. I didn't even say that you were but for ~some reason~ that hit a nerve.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 7, 2019

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Zyla posted:

lmao where did this come from :allears:

keep goin

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817553&pagenumber=2530&perpage=40#post497733442

somehow it was a minithread of a derail about if smash is a real fighting game and was from the paper magic thread

my main point was fadam changed their position while claiming to have kept the same position.

I'm done with this now, though

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Anyways, I can't get into any of the Brawl decks. I'm probably not piloting them well but I constantly seem to not have anything to play despite having a ton of land. Probably I'm just on the wrong end of the statistical bell curve but still.

vvv - the avatar

The Sean fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 7, 2019

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Trejo plays Boots the Monkey in the live-action Dora the Explorer film.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I apologize, but it is now superstition that when I complain in this thread I win the next game and it happened again.

So the new event will include the cards we won as prizes in Brawl? I guess it makes sense to wean people off the rotating cards slowly but I don't know if I will devote too much energy to brewing at this point

Thats kind of how Sekiro works.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I've been chilling on my gold pile to make sure I can get a bunch of free packs for the drop of the new set. I'm at about 35k right now. Where's everyone else?

zoux posted:

Mouse Tribal baby

I got excited for the idea of something goofy like Mouse Tribal and then I realized I could make a Cat Tribal to counter it. Not even a joke. I searched "cat" in my collection and have a ton of them.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hmm I have 6 wins already this week and one quest on the docket with 16000 XP to full mastery lol

I was thinking "this event will help me" but it's only 200 XP, I guess it's repeatable so they want us to grind it?

With my luck I will get approximately 40+ 1-1 events

Edit: :woop: opponent 2 mulled to five then scooped, I'll take what I can get gimme that XP

I'm pretty sure that their math of 16 dailies = 8000xp is assuming the minimum of only 500xp dailies (16*500=8000). So if RNG works out for you then you might hit about that number due to 750xp dailies.

Squinky v2.0 posted:

The cards in hand is a little weird, but the only thing you gain from mousing over that is seeing a count of cards in hand. Which again, you can ask your opponent IRL, but they will know.

I'm guessing that's what they were going for but there is one benefit that just hit me: by seeing the highlight on the cards/hand/etc move around the board you at least have a little bit of info that they are likely playing and not afk vs just sitting there looking at the screen while nothing's going on.

edit: ah, gently caress I'm dumb

The Sean fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 10, 2019

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I really loving do not like the Cavalcade deck. tia

edit: and third game in a row with cav on t2

The Sean fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Sep 19, 2019

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Relin posted:

someone forgot to flip the update switch

Oceanbound posted:

It’s not supposed to update till like 4 hours from now.

https://magicthegatheringarena.statuspage.io/

quote:

Scheduled - We will be performing scheduled maintenance on September 26 at 8 a.m. PT (15:00 UTC) to deploy the 1.00.00 Throne of Eldraine game update. Maintenance is expected to last approximately two hours.

While no downtime is expected, this is a required update. Players must update the game before accessing any Throne of Eldraine content (opening booster packs, redeeming codes, etc.) Those who are logged in prior to the start of maintenance will be required to restart their client to download the patch.

Patch Notes will be available once maintenance is complete.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Sep 26, 2019

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

So day one i got four Garruks and three Yorvos so I guess i have to go green.

I did also get a ton of black and red knights so i could go that route. I saw a nice black/red knights deck yesterday but I cant find it on recent pages of this thread. I barely look anywhere else for mtg info so i dont know where I saw it.

I was wondering how the client would handle Seven Dwarves. I only got one copy but I have an infinite symbol over it in my collection.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Sep 27, 2019

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I think I'm gonna try to build one of the knight decks here since I pulled a ton of the cards in my preorder set:

https://www.channelfireball.com/art...2233.1476816515

Thanks! I think this list is what I was looking at, actually.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

For Happily Ever After "6 or more card types" the official rules I looked up say tribal is a card type. Isnt that just Merlock, Elemental, Knight, etc.? If thats the case would a Merlock and an Elemental count as two different card types or just one since theyre both tribal?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

The Sean posted:

For Happily Ever After "6 or more card types" the official rules I looked up say tribal is a card type. Isnt that just Merlock, Elemental, Knight, etc.? If thats the case would a Merlock and an Elemental count as two different card types or just one since theyre both tribal?

Okay that's why I have four Garruks.

Thanks for the detailed explanations earlier, as well, clearing up the Tribal card type.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Seven Dwarves + duplication spells is hilarious btw.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I did it. I got seven dwarves.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Doltos posted:

I've only gotten four so far everyone likes to kill my dwarves

I went 4-0 in the "play any deck" format. I was expecting to get trampled by great decks but there might be a lot of people with great decks they don't know how to pilot.

4x of Quasiduplicate, Repudiate // Replicate, Spark Double
2x Mirror March

I have most of the cards from a Risen Reef Duplication deck so I might make it for real. I'm sure it won't be comptetitive, but w/e. Ferocity of the Wilds was fun. I'm thinking of tossing Fling in there, too.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 27, 2019

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Scoss posted:

I am interested in any deck that can run Quasiduplicate, but the dwarves seem incredibly fragile to Legions End or any board wipe. Do you just aggro them down fast enough and hold on to your butt?

List taken from here: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2280730#paper

Domri helps with removal. Other cards that force fights might help, too. I'm really not sure how great it is otherwise but it was fun today. Yes, pretty much aggro'ing them in the face the whole time, while trying to keep at least one in play for future copies.

Separately, if you like decks running Quasiduplicate I love this one: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/2298255#arena
edit: That is pre-rotation. Everything survives but there are no new cards in it.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 27, 2019

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

A Moose posted:

welp, aggro isn't a thing in a format with wicked wolf on turn 3.

where the gently caress did all these fully completed rare-d out decks come from in the play queue its like 3 days in. guys stop dumping your entire paycheck into the game, you might have a problem

Probably a bunch of whales but also consider how much gold people saved up and also consider the collation error they had this week with packs. I got so many repeat rares for a black/red knights deck that it was a no-brainer.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Nice. The weekly wins just reset on Thursday but the client says they're resetting again tomorrow like usual.

Sinteres posted:

Just got 7 wins for the first time with only one loss in m20 draft with blue black, feels good.

Congrats!

The Sean fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 28, 2019

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Eej posted:

By definition Jeskai Superfriends with Fae of Wishes is well positioned for BO1 cause you have a sideboard and no one else does except for sickos playing Karn

I've been meaning to find this out. So, to make sure I'm clear on this: grabbing a card from outside of the game isn't your whole collection, it's just Sideboard cards?

beedub posted:

If anyone has built this, can they toss a deckcode in here? Importing from a blurry jpeg is....bad

I'll do it later if not

Same. I cant make out some of the names and don't remember the art-to-name connection for some of them.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

E2M2 posted:

I swear I just had 4-5 games where people conceded right at 1-3 turns. Must be dudes just dropping cards to finish quests.

Me, too. A handful of them were after t3 Questing Beast so that might be skewing it.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

zoux posted:

Mengucci has a list of four and also CF has added an MTGA export link finally :O

Some here too

I get that Bolos Field is regarded as the top deck lately but I feel like if I play it for this event without knowing how it works will just end up in losing more matches than what I'm currently using. By "knowing how it works" I mean actually piloting it myself; I don't want to learn on the job and then lose out on potential wins.

The RB knights is one of the decks I'm currently running. It's been decently reliable at my skill level. It's the same deck that was posted by her before Eldraine came out so I'm surprised it didn't get updated. Myself (a not great player) found better success with more black Castles (3 total) since I found myself wanting for card draw at times with a ton of lands on the board with nothing to play with. I dropped Midnight Reapers; I didn't like them. I know that I mentioned card draw previous to that statement but it just felt too slow. I swapped in Oathsworn Knights; they're great for stalling/defending and they survive board wipes that are damage-based. Lastly, I've enjoyed Fires of Invention. Sometimes I'm almost unsure of if it's a good choice but I've never really regretted it. It is extremely nice for being able to plop down two Knights and then also spending a ton of mana to boost Ebon Knight to +6/6 or Castle up for extra cards--which wouldn't be possible otherwise.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 5, 2019

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

0-2 with a deck I was going in with like a 70% win rate. Cool. Cool, cool, cool.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

i unironically like that pinochio grows up into a woman in this set. i support his decisions. he doesn't have to be a real boy if he doesn't want to.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Zero VGS posted:

Astonishingly I'm playing games of MTGA perfectly fine on my phone, using Moonlight to stream the game from my home PC, even over the data plan. The only problem is that you can't directly tap and drag the cards, you have to move a cursor around and double-tap-hold to drag cards. I think there's a way to make a AutoHotKey script to emulate the clicking, but I'm still figuring that out because apparently no one has thought to try it yet.

I am very interested in this if it can become extremely usable. I tried doing this over wifi at work but it was way too slow. That might because I have a surface pro, though.

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

So, after playing a ton of games with this deck, here's my mostly final list for mono G stompy.

4 Pelt Collector (GRN) 141
4 Paradise Druid (WAR) 171
4 Kraul Harpooner (GRN) 136
3 Once Upon a Time (ELD) 169
3 Yorvo, Lord of Garenbrig (ELD) 185
2 Thrashing Brontodon (RIX) 148
4 Lovestruck Beast (ELD) 165
4 Questing Beast (ELD) 171
4 Shifting Ceratops (M20) 194
2 Vivien, Arkbow Ranger (M20) 199
3 The Great Henge (ELD) 161
23 Forest (XLN) 276

I went from gold 4 to diamond 4 last season, and gold 3 to platinum 1 this season so far with it, so a fairly decent number games, all BO1. It plays pretty well against the field. Your worst match ups are other henge decks, since they're just as beefy as you, but more tilted towards the midgame. Esper Dance is very good on the play and very bad on the draw. Everything else you're generally positive against, though not amazingly so. It's pretty good against simic flash and mono red. Tends to wreck fires decks pretty hard. If they stabilize, one hasty threat is probably enough to finish them off, which is generally true for a lot of decks looking to generate recurring value like cats or adventures. You're dropping so much beef every turn, that their value engines tend not to matter a whole lot. The myriad of decks looking to goose into Oko are a marginally bad match up on the draw, and a pretty decent match up on the play.

Kraul harpooner is very good in BO1 right now, shooting down geese, sailors, phoenixes, and whatever other nonsense fliers happen to be annoying in addition to randomly giving you a GG great henge.

Lovestruck Beast is super awkward, but I've slotted in a ton of different stuff, and can't find a better option. The very unimpressive case of 1 mana 1/1 and 3 mana 5/5 defender add up to more than the sum of their parts. Their versatility is extremely valuable, and occasionally they beat face. That 5/5 that can't attack may look super bad from your side of the board, but your opponent has to consider that you might drop a 1/1 into play at anytime.

The deck was running growth chamber guardian, but paradise druid allows for much more aggressive play, in place of the card advantage of guardian, and that's generally where you want to be in most marchups.

Quoting from a while back. I really enjoy this deck. Straightforward but still has moving parts and choices to make. Stomps pretty hard but I don't feel like I'm an rear end in a top hat.

Edit:
Lol on mtggoldfish Massacre Girl is $0.03 online / $0.53 paper. Seems really cheap for such an utterly powerful card to start a multi-page discussion about.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 10, 2019

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Zero VGS posted:

While I suck at MtG I am an expert in game streaming. I set up a lot of things to optimize it:

- Streaming PC is at home, on ethernet, and with FIOS internet (1000/1000mbit fiber, that's overkill of course but the 1ms latency to my work ISP the main benefit)

- Streaming PC uses a headless HMDI adapter (search Amazon)

- Streaming PC uses an RTX 2080. The RTX series streams in HEVC h.265 which halves the required bandwidth, and the encoding latency is much better than the 10-series

- Streaming PC is on Dynamic DNS (free service with the Asus RT-AC68U router) so I don't have to guess IP to connect

- Phone is an Asus Rog Phone 2, which has a 120hz OLED screen (though I only stream at that framerate when on Wifi) and it has the lowest touchscreen latency of any phone in existence

This is cool. Thank you for taking the time to share. You're ahead of me, though, since I suck at both MtG and streaming.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I just tried this out on the first time and I was on the ranked queue on accident. I played a Fields deck and crushed the hell out of them. Even if I lose a bunch of games later thank you for that, at least.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

For this weekend's event I'm not sure if I want to just go Golos Field or anit-Golos Field. I want some free packs.

My Golos Field counter is to walk away from my computer and go do laundry and then do a bare minimum to up the rope reset and just walk away again. I'm like 10-0 for losing the least amount of time in my life.

edit: btw I hate rankle

The Sean fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Oct 12, 2019

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Tormented posted:

I put in a planeswalker i got in a deck now I'm facing like insane decks. I'm in bronze 4 is this normal?

I have nothing tangible to base this on at all but from my experiences I feel like there's some behind-the-scenes algorithm that judges you based on the aggregate value of cards in your deck and also some type of match-up stats.

See also:

barge posted:

I keep switching between normal decks and "anti-field decks" and getting the wrong matchup every time. Once I'll eventually get it right though and it's gonna be great

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Drewjitsu posted:

Unless, you are like me, a whale, who had the feel bads of scarcity tattoo'd onto his soul as a child playing mtg, and now has to have a complete collection of digital cards thanks to having disposable income.

:shepspends:

(don't do what I do)

'sup soulmate

The Sean fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Oct 14, 2019

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Zyla posted:

i have never seen nor played a successful self-mill jace win

Dumb jank deck that I haven't updated since rotation:

4 Healer of the Glade (M20) 176
3 Leafkin Druid (M20) 178
2 Cloudkin Seer (M20) 54
1 Forest (DAR) 267
4 Risen Reef (M20) 217
10 Island (DAR) 254
2 Bond of Flourishing (WAR) 155
3 Repudiate // Replicate (RNA) 227
2 Jace, Wielder of Mysteries (WAR) 54
4 Mass Manipulation (RNA) 42
3 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
4 Temple of Mystery (M20) 255
2 Quasiduplicate (GRN) 51
2 Connive // Concoct (GRN) 222
2 Hydroid Krasis (RNA) 183
2 Tamiyo, Collector of Tales (WAR) 220
8 Forest (DAR) 268
1 Disdainful Stroke (GRN) 37
1 Negate (M20) 69

Kind of like someone mentioned above. A billion Risen Reefs on the table eats a lot of cards away. Tamiyo digs for Reefs or whatever. Jace self-mills. Miling is only a back up win condition but it works.

edit:
I was playing a cook the cat deck earlier and this skit crossed my mind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XTZPiy2opY

I miss my little kitty cat!

Oh, here he is!

OH GOD HE'S DEAD

Nevermind, here's my little kitty cat!

The Sean fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 16, 2019

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Spiderdrake posted:

Also the codes will be emailed out, they aren't in the packages because... um... stuff

Before I read this part I was like, "I'm not going to one of these events. I look forward to the code being posted online anyways." They're probably create unique redemption codes like that Frank Reynolds-looking avatar.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I can't not see a woman at a dj booth. She's got her soundboards and is messing with her headphones and she's playing that blood rave song from Blade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHBhKbF2xMA&t=48s

The Sean fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Oct 17, 2019

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Here is my draft budget:

1 Oko
3 Mill Cards
48 cards I haven't narrowed down
5 Run Away Togethers

Someone who is good at drafting please help me.

This is maybe my second draft for Eldraine. My idea (and I'm bad at imagining mtg) is to mill a bunch and use RAT to start the process over again. Then for whatever reason I have a ton of food making stuff. I never got much to do with them.

Potential cuts off the top of my head:
Garenbrig Carver - Not enthusiastic about this but I don't have much at 4 drop
Spiders - I have these in there for stalling out flyers, obliviously but I'm not sure if they're worth it.

Kjermzs posted:

I don’t like posting reddit stuff but you are not the only one to price this!

https://www.reddit.com/r/MagicArena...utm_name=iossmf

Haha awesome. Thanks for passing this along.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Thanks, folks.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Thanks, again, for the feedback everyone.

I won my first match last night and went to sleep. I barely squeaked by. I don't know how many cards my opponent started with but after a few mills I looked and they were still at 36 cards. I ended up winning with just a few cards left in my deck; if the opponent had 40 cards to start with my milling and stalling would have killed them much earlier. I barely attacked the whole game and just kept a bunch of blockers out without worrying about losing them. What tipped the scales was when I pulled Stonecoil Serpent late game with a ton of lands out. It got killed but I held onto Once and Future for forever so I got it right back. I didn't see Oko until my last turn where I would have dropped them to < 1 life anyways.

I went from 5 to 2 Run Away Together but I had a bunch of situations where I wish I could bring Secret Keeper or Hypnotic Sprite back.
I left in the Beanstalks and they were really great.
Kept in Spiders, which was a good recommendation.
Those saying get rid of Appetite were extremely right.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Paul Zuvella posted:

block constructed is not a thing anymore because blocks are not a thing and why on earth would m20 be tried to throne of eldraine?

No Wave (if I'm remembering correctly) is either a new player or a newly returning player (I am the latter). His assumption that m20 was part of the block made sense since m20 is basically designed to be paired with the Eldraine block , even if it weren't correct. smh at the bolded part, though: 1) they were responding to someone who said block constructed so it's not their fault 2) block constructed isn't a thing anymore? 3) blocks are not a thing? I want to be clear that I'm asking completely rhetorically because that's all knowledge about stuff that you wouldn't probably know if you are new or whatever. I literally don't care about the answers to those questions.

Doltos posted:

Next set better have a ton of geese. I've moved my tribal love from wolf to geese. Adjust your charts accordingly.

Honk! (gain control of target artifact)

Goose Assassin - Rogue Goose

Oko's Goose - Legendary Goose

Pacify (new art)

Rake of the Loch - UG Artifact

Honking Well (sacrifice a Goose to draw 4 cards)

Okay now where's my money WotC?

The Sean fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 17, 2019