Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
Oko looks strong. Whatever food tokens do can help, the +1 can be used on your own 1/1 tokens to beef them up for aggro and can remove major threats your opponent has, and the -5 can help you too. I wonder if we'll get more permanents that will have a negative impact on your side of the field that would make the ult more useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

GrandpaPants posted:

The adventure puts the card into exile, where you can then play it as a creature.

Yep! Here's a new one to use as an example:

You can either play the creature as is

-OR-

Pay the 2 mana, get a creature card from your graveyard and put it in your hand, put Order of Midnight into exile, then pay the additional 2 mana now or later to play the 2/2 flyer.

Another one that actually looks good to use:

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

SalTheBard posted:

Can you cast the creature first and then adventure at instant speed to protect it from board wipe?

Sadly no. It's either creature or adventure-then-creature

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

More cards!

REALLY good in token decks thank thank god Llanowar Elves is rotating out.

Welp knight tribal will be everywhere to prepare yourselves for that I guess!

Waffleopolis fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 4, 2019

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

You think any of these brawl commanders will be usable in the new standard? I'd love to try to make a mrdu knights deck with some sir gwyns and a couple of colossus hammers and other equipment.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

There's not a lot of equipment that will survive rotation atm. Hopefully we'll see more because we haven't seen Eldraine's version of Excalibur yet. Hopefully it's good enough to fit in Syr Gwyn

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

Abzan Wolves can work. Tolsimir followed by the new Garruk can be very powerful.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

Trying to prep for tomorrow's Standard 2020 event, and Boros Feather seems to have most or it's power in place come rotation. Biggest blows are losing Adanto Vanguard and Reckless Rage.

Trying to figure out how to work around those losses. Here's a pile of card I have right now:

What would best to keep and cut? Swiftblade Vindicator (not shown) has a lot of swing to it if it goes off, and Fencing Ace is a lesser version but possibly usable, but they are also just fragile 1/1's. Sure Strike feels like an okay replacement for Reckless Rage as it can stop Deathtouch damage. Is there any room for Naya with Season of Growth and Giant Growth instead of infuriate? I would appreciate any help with this.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

Lone Goat posted:

I'd def play Integrity//Intervention instead of Infuriate, and not play any Krenko or Uncaged Fury. Shock, too.

Not sure I like those 1/1 two drops but I think the only other options are Boros Challenger, Tomik (don't play more than 2 though), and... Skyknight Vanguard? Yikes. You could probably safely play an Aurelia or two.

Something like this?

This looks good. I'll try it out. Now to try to figure out a Naya version just in case.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

kater posted:

Those split cards don't work for Arcanist and they are one mana more expensive and Feather is already kinda durdly until it can Gods Willing forever. And they are just weaker in the first place. Goddamn Reckless Rage is absurd. I want to make a Jeskai Feather deck. Firemind's Research and Electrostatic Field and Saheeli and whatever that m20 mythic is called that is just Saheeli but a bird wizard. And t3f cuz why not. Just sit back and spam forever and never attack and be the worst.

Also its super annoying that they aren't completing the Temples.

The Theros sequel will probably have them, but would seem silly that half of them will rotate out.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

They need to do something about the new trolling method of wildly highlighting their hands and cards on the field. It's headache inducing and I don't know if it can hurt epileptic people. Just make it an option to turn it off.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

I shall call you Paulie the Power Weasel!

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

Not sure what deck this can belong to in standard.

If a food factory decks gets made this can be very powerful. Not sure if it can work in an Abzan Wolves deck.

Very strong sideboard for tribal decks.

Has Peasant ever been a creature type before?

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

New card from ReiderRabbit

Ppl who play Modern and Legacy are going nuts for it. I know little about those formats to see why.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

This is fantastic for EDH, Brawl, limited, etc.

This set has some crazy value happening

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

Spiderdrake posted:

Apparently the devs view the generous mulligan timer as a feature because some individuals have slow computers/connections.

It actually double covers for them, there's a hidden phase of the timer where you can't cancel out because you're already loading the new game THEN there's a splash screen.

Personally I don't think a f2p game needs to cater to the 2% of players running the game on a core 2 duo in the middle of deserted farmlands but I guess that makes me an elitist.

edit:

dang

I expect to see people to experiment with this and Colossus Hammer or other weapons.

LIke me, I'll try it.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

My new rap name

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

At least we have something to deal with walkers since The Immortal Sun is going away. I like this art better than Ixalan's. :3:

Waffleopolis fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 12, 2019

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

Sound Intrusion
B
Sorcery

Target opponent reveals his or her hand. You may choose a nonland card from your opponent's hand. If you do, your opponent exiles that card. If a nonblack card was exiled this way, exile a card from your hand.

This is good, right? Like....really good. Not sure about mainboard but absolutely in sideboard. 1 black mana to counter any black spells, and it's non black, just throw away any unwanted card.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

axeil posted:

for a fun time go post that on the arena subreddit and watch the howling masses lose their minds

I hate the 2:1 wildcard thing too, but the MTGA reddit is OBSESSED with it. Only 2:1 wildcard that I would be fine with is for sets like Modern Masters/Horizons/etc., but they will change it back of Historic isn't doing so great. It'll be future good pr and a promotion. Ppl just need to calm down about it.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

This feels strong enough to keep 1-2 copies of in an aggro deck. The possibilities for this are good. Turn 3 Drakuseth, early equip of a Colossus Hammer, having 2 green usable to make a 7/8 Voracious Hydra to kill something or make it 14/15. IF there's no answers to any of these the game is pretty much over.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

TheMaestroso posted:

Not sure what deck you're envisioning where you can both have 4 mana on turn 3 AND have three of it be red.

You just need 1 G/R source and either Paradise Druid or Incubation Druid on Turn 2.

I'm also trying to brainstorm a 5-color deck that uses Faeburrow Elder as a ramp unit, Niv-Mizzet Reborn as a card draw and a steroid booster for Faeburrow Elder, Kenrith as a swiss army knife, Sphinx of the Guildpact as an additional means to power up Faeburrow Elder and be a fat flyer with some protection, and Golos as a ramp unit with a 5-color upside. I just need to figure out the rest. :/

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

"Yorvo Lord of the Garen Preserve"

GGG

Legendary Creature - Giant Noble

Yorvo Lord of the Garen Preserve enters with four +1/+1 counters on it.

Whenever another green creature enters the battlefield under your control, put a +1/+1 counter on Yorvo. Then, if the creature's power is greater than Yorvo's power, put another +1/+1 counter on Yorvo.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

That Lucky Clover is totally not busted in any way whatsoever and will not piss me off when this and Murderous Rider or Bonecrusher Giant wreck my poo poo.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Oh being in the Standard 2020 event for so long made me forget how much Feather is a poo poo-rear end garbagefucker of a deck, glad it will disappear into nothingness come rotation

Can feather work in a different Boros deck? even without the effect, a 3/4 flyer for 3 mana is good.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

I went 6-2 with Jeff Hoogland's Temur Aggro

https://www.streamdecker.com/deck/iQ-lNZJjl

Very solid deck. Can be played in 1v1 (Nothing from the sideboard would've saved me from my losses anyways). Gives Arboreal Grazer more use with Oko and The Royal Scions. Really surprised the Scions card isn't used a lot it's great.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

REALLY hoping Theros Beyond Death has some anti-land stuff. Easy route for WotC is slapping in Field of Ruin. Dream route for me is a reprint of Wasteland.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So does this mean no bans

I don't know. Golos/FotD still had nearly 50% of the MC decklists, and the deck that did win was designed to specifically counter Golos/FotD decks. If they don't then next MC will be exactly the same as this one.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

I like Jeff Hoogland. He's not a huge rear end in a top hat. I can understand people not liking the voice, but I'll take that over him being a jerk. Hell, most of the streamers I watch are chill people.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

Eej posted:

ah yes, raging out about :females: the least jerky thing you can do

I don't remember that part :confused:

Anywho I do like Bloody. She is very chill and also AliEldrazi because he has a camera of two Dachshunds that play fight. :3:

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

I know the whole "Put Pioneer in MTGA" complaint has been repeated a lot, but honestly I feel it should be done for the good of the game, both in player base and in profit. I think the best way to implement this is have something called "Pioneer's Trail".

The Pioneer's Trail would last 40 weeks. Every two weeks, a new set would come out from the top-down (First two weeks is Hour of Devestation, then Amonkhet, then Aether Revolt, etc.). I think this would give enough time for programmers to develop the older sets (seeing how we know Kaladesh is in the game). You can buy the packs like you buy any other packs, and there will be a sealed and ranked draft for each set for those two weeks. You can play the cards in Historic (because no one uses it) as a means to report nay bugs or whatnot. Once Return to Ravnica is launched, then we'll officially have Pioneer in MTGA.

It won't happen, but I just like to come up with ideas... :(

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

flatluigi posted:

you see absolutely nothing wrong with releasing entire sets every two weeks?

No I do. It's just wishful thinking on my part.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

I'm surprised no one is playing Bioessence Hydra in more decks with Oko. With any PW in the field, especially Oko, it's just a massive creature that it still a massive creature if Elk'd by an opposing Oko. I guess just being a big guy with trample can't cut it these days. :(

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

How long do you think it'll take for Pioneer to be released? My guess is December 2020, maybe up to April 2021. I hope with the addition of this, we'll get options of having Ranked Draft for older formats. Have one that's standard and one that's Pioneer that way it can make Limited be more diverse but still give players progression in the season.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

I do apologize for my ignorance. I am not sure how long it takes them to 'input' cards and code in each mechanic. I just figured they would have some older mechanics coded in to test. Of course it will take more than a year, but I hope they do something with older sets before Pioneer like drafts and whatnot.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

WotC is starting their Theros Beyond Death reveals way early (probably due to the gigantic leak).

Devotion gods are back.

Elspeth is back and deader than ever.

Ashiok looks cool (alt art probably means we're getting $30 paper boosters for this set too)

A better look at the kickass constellation basic lands

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

zoux posted:

Is it a good mechanic or a bad mechanic

It's good. I used to run a boros devotion deck that had the chance to kill someone on turn 3. First two turns you would play simple lands and whatnot and 1/2 mana creatures.
Turn 3 you play this land

THEN play 1-4 of these assholes

Use the two floating mana to use Nykthos's ability to generate a lot of mana to bring in these

or this

or this

It had so many options. If you had like a RR 2-droped followed by 4 Burning Trees the Nykthos makes 10 mana to drop two fanatics, dealing 23 damage. It was a hoot.

I doubt they'll reprint Nykthos for this set but we'll see what they'll do.

Waffleopolis fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 11, 2019

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

More than one Revenge of Ravens is just a deadly chokehold.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

I know people hate on Fortnite and all, but with MTGA going to the Epic Games store, doing a crossover like "Get level 25 on the basic mastery to earn a Chandra skin in Fortnite" could reel in some additional players.

What other big games besides Fortnite and Unreal does Epic Games develop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

Kraftwerk posted:

Is it worth doing the MTGA Pre-orders for the next Set?

If you know you'll be spending money on the set, I would.