Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
see my list of "what I would do with my daddys billions"
  • be a movieguy produceman
  • maybe DJ? also be a recordman produceman
  • get a model girlfriend who isn't in canada doing shoots all the time
  • order all cocaine in the world, color the keys all different colors and play lego with them
  • lose weight? (cocaine will help with this)
  • invest tens of millions in giant starship spaceman game with absolutely no strings attached
  • give my money to the poor, help those in need, try and better the world and myself through generosity, compassion and empathy
  • lol yeah right lets buy another telsa from ELON my FRIEND
  • wrap cocaine bricks in flex seal to make snortable yacht

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TheAgent posted:

unless you've played star citizen, it's really, really hard to describe just how boring, broken and repetitive the entire experience is

like I know some people think it can't be that bad, but its a really, really loving terrible game in every single possible way

I must admit that my interest has been piqued by the bartender, but I’m holding out for the space part of the space game.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Deaf ferret is a good boy and gets a surprise

https://i.imgur.com/hZvsvfB.mp4

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Thoatse posted:

My GF had three of these rascals and i can smell that gif.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Thoatse posted:

That is the best :five:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

trucutru posted:

The biggest new thing in the update is PICO

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
I was thinking 300 million dollars was a lot of money to ask for.
Well, Activision-Blizzard wants to raise 2 BILLION dollars :20bux:
https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20200805006089/en/Activision-Blizzard-Prices-2000000000-Senior-Unsecured-Notes

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

Throwing a tantrum much? I get the feeling the reason there seems to be so much salt in the subreddit recently is because a few really salty people copy paste the same poo poo across every thread. There's been plenty of threads specifically about SQ42 where you can voice these complaints.

quote:

I honestly don't understand ppl that complain about ship sales and not doing x things, why is this such a crisis? My favorite ones are the ones that will actually buy the ship THEN complain

quote:

It's not just ship sales, and not unique to Star Citizen. It works like this:
  • Like A? Complain in threads about B that they should be doing A instead.
  • Don't like B? Complain in threads about B that they should be doing A instead.
You see this everywhere. Thread about SpaceX testing out their starship prototype? Perfect time to complain about them not spending the money on solving world hunger. Since it's not an honest way to debate in the first place it obscures whether their real motivation is hate of B, or obsession with A as the result appears the same.

They knew that regardless of what we hear about SQ42 new versions of the PU will be released, along with the ship sales required to continue funding their 600 employee count. People will also continue sharing videos, screenshots and theory-crafting. Salty people are just using those threads as a platform to vent about unrelated topics getting everyone's backs up in the process.

And in fact if you take a deeper look into the post history of common offenders you'll typically find that they hate everything related to the game, including SQ42, and are just abusing a current community gripe to spread discord everywhere they go. Ugh.

quote:

You know, I really hope these are just trolls and not actually this many drat people who are this drat complain-y.

If I'm wrong, I fear our species is doomed.

quote:

Somehow people seem to have gotten it into their heads that every possible thing we can do as a species takes the same amount of time, requires the same amount of money, uses the same skills, and we can only do one at a time.

To give another example, look at what happens every time a legislature discusses legalising gay marriage. "Why are you wasting time with this unimportant gay marriage thing when there's this massive problem with the economy/healthcare/pensions/infrastructure/<insert pet peeve here>"

They seem to think that while the politicians are spending a few hours debating this issue in parliament all of the subject matter experts in healthcare, infrastructure, etc will just sit twiddling their thumbs doing jack poo poo and not preparing material for their debate next week. I cannot comprehend it.

Ironically, the SQ42 update video is one of the examples where they cannot do two things at the same time, as the people they need to provide the footage and interview on the subject are the exact same ones that are trying to get the features finished so that they can hand them off and unblock other devs. Even if it's a worthy trade off making those videos slows development on the game.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TheAgent posted:

unless you've played star citizen, it's really, really hard to describe just how boring, broken and repetitive the entire experience is

like I know some people think it can't be that bad, but its a really, really loving terrible game in every single possible way

Yeah it really really sucks rear end.
The more they put in the worse it gets, I can forgive games almost anything apart from being dull.
I am happy to waste time on poo poo games, broken games, silly games but I honestly draw the line at games that are just achingly boring.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Kosumo posted:

I'd like to make a joke about the titty slider but think I'll just get hit over the head with a rolled up newspaper ........ again. :sad:

When your boobs are tiny A cup things, you don't need a huge under wire for shaping that is going to dig up your sternum. I hate those big wires that go up just a bit too high.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Fleshing out my idea for a SC web series a bit more posted:

So I mentioned awhile ago that I thought SC would be great to make an in-game fictional series based on the verse.

It's starting to come together a bit more now. I have a small crew that's interested in both gaming in SC and making an RP-web series in it.

The method I'm thinking is to do basically a recording of a role-play. Not unlike DnD, we set up a scenario to start, and roll with it from there. So there's some objectives but for the most part is free flowing storylines.

I have some in-game training game sessions planned to start so we all have the basics down (and we can figure out everyone's strong suit).

For filming, I figure we can all record the game session, making sure to be in third person when not needing to use first person (piloting, gunnery, interaction). All players will understand how to use the advanced camera controls so they can set up worthwhile shorts. But if we have 4 people in a pisces, the pilot stays in first person, player 2 switches from either 3rd person of the ship or sits the camera over the shoulder of the pilot. Player 3 and 4 set up their cameras facing each other as they sit across from each other in the passenger seats to capture conversations from players 2, 3, 4

Naturally, the game session from all 4 players will be spliced together and edited afterwards.

Each play session would be an episode and continues from where the previous one left off.

The plan is to get everyone trained and ready to play/shoot by 3.11

Thoughts/comments/ideas/storyline prompts?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
star citizen is going to be out versed by loving subverse at this point

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

The first Mist-level puzzle you have to conquer to get to the main hub was pretty clever honestly.

I probably wouldn't have figured out the elevator puzzle if I hadn't seen people posting about it here!

Meanwhile as you are doing this, you're getting tutorial messages telling you how to murder people and do silent takedowns. So once you get to the hotel foyer you're under the impression you have to kill everybody in the room... yet you cannot.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Mirificus posted:

Fleshing out my idea for a SC web series a bit more posted:
So I mentioned awhile ago that I thought SC would be great to make an in-game fictional series based on the verse.

It's starting to come together a bit more now. I have a small crew that's interested in both gaming in SC and making an RP-web series in it.

The method I'm thinking is to do basically a recording of a role-play. Not unlike DnD, we set up a scenario to start, and roll with it from there. So there's some objectives but for the most part is free flowing storylines.

I have some in-game training game sessions planned to start so we all have the basics down (and we can figure out everyone's strong suit).

For filming, I figure we can all record the game session, making sure to be in third person when not needing to use first person (piloting, gunnery, interaction). All players will understand how to use the advanced camera controls so they can set up worthwhile shorts. But if we have 4 people in a pisces, the pilot stays in first person, player 2 switches from either 3rd person of the ship or sits the camera over the shoulder of the pilot. Player 3 and 4 set up their cameras facing each other as they sit across from each other in the passenger seats to capture conversations from players 2, 3, 4

Naturally, the game session from all 4 players will be spliced together and edited afterwards.

Each play session would be an episode and continues from where the previous one left off.

The plan is to get everyone trained and ready to play/shoot by 3.11

Thoughts/comments/ideas/storyline prompts?

This subject has been broached so many times over the last 8 years by hopefuls only to disappear into nothingness.

I wonder why.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

If you feel you have the expertise, you think you are Smart? You feel you could do a better job, then why not start your own project and reach out to a community to get it made? Show everyone how it is done?

No? Not for you huh? You'd rather just type up a few paragraphs to air your less than half informed opinions?

If you don't like it.. go away and do something else - cut your losses and chalk it up to experience. If you think you can do better, try, then we can critique you.

If you truly are the one with all the answers and you wish to 'save the project' then please, let Chris know that you have the answers and that they need you. https://cloudimperiumgames.com/jobs - Good luck. Thank you for coming to our rescue, I don't how a single pixel got drawn on screen without you.

No-one ever demanded that Chris should give us a game by Christmas, the whole point of going by the crowdfunding route was to avoid investor enforced limitations. We wanted the best, we wanted them to keep going until we got the best. They have, and they will continue to do so... so will we.

The notion that neither you, nor Kotaku, nor Forbes, nor EA, nor Bethesda, nor Ubisoft or any of those 'standard development houses' can grasp is that Chris came to his community asking to make HIS dream game, the community responded by telling him.. We will help you make your dream game on the condition that you build our dream universe for us. Squadron 42 Chapter 1, 2, and 3 is Chris's dream game. The living breathing universe Best drat Space Simulator Ever is the COMMUNITIES game built in partnership with Cloud Imperium Games. They take our input, they take our wishes, they make the best that they can possibly make... for us. We do not want it to be 'finished' so that we can buy Star Citizen 2: New Horizons - again.. we want it to get better, and better, and better. We wanted to give future gamers better options than the ones we had when the project started. We've done that. $65 dollars for a AAA quality single player game with around 30 hours of main mission play time plus a separate full MMO with ALL future upgrades, MMO addons included FOR LIFE! with no season passes.

Does your software company offer that? Would they have ever agreed to begin a project on that basis? Pay once for lifetime access forever. No? Then we don't need you or your ideas.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Thoatse posted:

<3

I love these black ferrets. :)

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

see my list of "what I would do with my daddys billions"
  • be a movieguy produceman
  • maybe DJ? also be a recordman produceman
  • get a model girlfriend who isn't in canada doing shoots all the time
  • order all cocaine in the world, color the keys all different colors and play lego with them
  • lose weight? (cocaine will help with this)
  • invest tens of millions in giant starship spaceman game with absolutely no strings attached
  • give my money to the poor, help those in need, try and better the world and myself through generosity, compassion and empathy
  • lol yeah right lets buy another telsa from ELON my FRIEND
  • wrap cocaine bricks in flex seal to make snortable yacht

Can I ride your yacht? I'll only snort my own seat to help you sink it eventually. If I can do anything, it's help a friend sink to the bottom.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

peter gabriel posted:

Yeah it really really sucks rear end.
The more they put in the worse it gets, I can forgive games almost anything apart from being dull.
I am happy to waste time on poo poo games, broken games, silly games but I honestly draw the line at games that are just achingly boring.

I'm not sure how much time I have lost playing different types of versions of Candy Crush. :3:

I am a boss at those connect 3 games.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

star citizen is going to be out versed by loving subverse at this point

Isn't that the point of it though? loving? Looking forward to it!

Maybe that second life in space with your love dungeon is about to be realized?

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

The Titanic posted:

<3

Turn on your monitor.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBxn56l9WcU&t=7s

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
hello

so the rumormill (again) is that chris is going to be 100% out of the day-to-day decision making

much like the console rumors, I get this a lot, but this one had some new info I haven't seen yet

anyway here's the thing barely edited if you wanna believe it or whatever (but probably don't)

quote:

We've missed our Third Deadline [sic] in as-many [sic] months. The pressure [from the top] of supplying the alpha Squadron Forty-Two [sic] VS has turned into pressure about supplying the Full-Early-Access [sic] Beta. Things are broken because we continue to iterate and change our core mechanics. Our programmers are stretched thin. There's only so many problems you can paint over before the cracks start to show beneath.

The oversight entity [sic] has the option of forcing [Chris] Roberts away from any decisions regarding Squadron Forty-Two & Star Citizen & the additional Gamemodes Theaters of War & Cooperative Construction [supposedly a building and social module]. They will leverage that by the end of this year. They were told Four Full-Gamemodes [sic] would be online by Christmas this year. We are unable to deliver those promises made in December 2017 to this entity and to the additional promises made to more recent entities.

I do fear that [the company] is moving to a more productive place but at the cost of good & talents [sic] people. Where are we without a leader like [Chris]? Everything we are here is because of him. Lost confidence could be doom for us. Where would we go during this? I worry about myself and my coworkers and my family now.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Didn't that thing interview Chris Roberts like 8 years ago?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

Can I ride your yacht? I'll only snort my own seat to help you sink it eventually. If I can do anything, it's help a friend sink to the bottom.
a good ol fashioned snort n sit n sink

a classic, to be sure

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Hard to believe getting rid of Chris now would actually help much. Yes he is terrible and ruins anything he touches - which is everything - but it's just too late. The technical debt they have incurred is a record setter for sure and isn't going away, it will take years to fix that. And the organisation structured by him has a rot that runs deep. Chris's way is "how it's done" in that company by now, with or without him.

With just 4-5 years of work they could deliver a fairly buggy game with about 30% of what they promised, based on what they have now.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
will the userbase stay if cr gets sent to a farm upstate?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
So are they up to 4 AAAA video games now? That's like more than other game companies ever do at one time! Luckily we're still in the early days. :hehe:

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

Don't think the would sunset him, more like "Roberts is transitioning into Strategic Director status" and then proceed to make up a series of fake roles that will keep him out of the limelight.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

The Titanic posted:

<3

Please stop being so racist.

ITS A JOKE

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

They probably couldn’t get away with totally poo poo-canning Chris the way Microsoft did, since it would probably kill backer confidence. But they could definitely force him into a meaningless role like “creative consultant” where he had no real control over anything.

Really from the outside it wouldn’t look much different than what we see now. Chris pretty much ceased to be the face of the project and largely disappeared over a year ago. All we get are little glimpses of him here and there and the obligatory mentions about how’s he’s still in charge of every pointless detail.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 7, 2020

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

TheAgent posted:

anyway here's the thing barely edited if you wanna believe it or whatever (but probably don't)

It is hard to believe that Chris is some revered sacred totem within the company at this point.

A social base building sub mode though? Sure why not :allears:

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Hav posted:

Keith Calder's criterion for backing projects;

#4 is mildly amusing; #6 downright hilarious.

If we could see #4 in action it’d be absolutely hysterical...

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Hello Calders. :wave:

It's too late.

You're hosed.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

TheAgent posted:

hello

so the rumormill (again) is that chris is going to be 100% out of the day-to-day decision making

much like the console rumors, I get this a lot, but this one had some new info I haven't seen yet

quote:

Where are we without a leader like [Chris]?

Same place you are with him, and still without a paddle. You can thank Chris for leading you there.

TonyMcS
Aug 31, 2018

Until we get the Netflix doco on SC's implosion, there's a free game on the Epic Games store called "3 out of 10" by Terrible Posture Games that covers a lot of SC's problems

It's all about a game development studio and the characters that work there.

I say a game but it's really animated episodes that contain some basic games, but the script and voice-over are good.

Animators are apparently the one thing the game needs and interns are kept in cat cages in the supply closet and are sent down as an offering to the engineers in the basement.

I laughed a few times, which is surprising in the current times. I know it's off topic, but it does fit the spirit of this thread which is humour in game development ;-)

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

TheAgent posted:

pretty much sums up everything about star citizen in a single loving picture

Maybe she's giving birth to a roadmap?

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

The Titanic posted:

So are they up to 4 AAAA video games now? That's like more than other game companies ever do at one time! Luckily we're still in the early days. :hehe:

well who ships a AAAA single player FPS without multiplayer?

Even if SQ42 was ready im not sure they can release it. The multiplayer part is where all there money comes from and SQ42 represents the one chance they have to give it a big shot in the arm.

I think theatres of war is meant to ship with SQ42 to fill the gap while so they can hide the PU.

i think this all boils down to when you are not qualified to build a sandwich, you should not be promising to deliver multiple million dollar projects simultaneously.

I think most of the community would celebrate CR stepping down so he can do he penance on his yacht and finish absolving himself.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

They would absolutely never tell the fans, under any circumstance, even if they completely loving fired him lol. Honestly, most of the fans would stay if they did - the dream of libertarian second life in space pulls too strongly for them to leave - but they'd never risk it. We would only find out through a series of hellos or when the game came out and Chris was bumped down to a "producer" or "creative consultant" credit like they did with Freelancer.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I'm of two minds on that. On one hand, Chris Roberts' strange charisma of being a moronic boob appealing to all his moron boob backers as the moron boob king who was told "this can't be done" and they're giving him all this money to prove them all wrong is crucial to getting the scam going. That all important "No gently caress you internet I am cool and awesome and my friend Chris Roberts is making Star Citizen for me!" It feels like that would be the pin that finally pops the delusion balloon.

On the other hand you have literal years of being indoctrinated into an e-cult where you deflect all sanity and think "version next one plus one will finally be the jesus patch!" That's a hard force to fight against, even the loss of Chris Roberts might not break that spell. These people have been arguing with dreams.txt as reality for so long maybe they'd get over that too. How many times have we seen them say well yeah that game looks fine but Star Citizen blows it out of the water with [list of features not actually ever going to be in the game]. Chris Roberts may have spearheaded a delusion of dullards so thick not even he can shatter it.

Then again I have no idea why I'd believe any of this was real. Except the Titanic is always sinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Beet Wagon posted:

They would absolutely never tell the fans, under any circumstance, even if they completely loving fired him lol. Honestly, most of the fans would stay if they did - the dream of libertarian second life in space pulls too strongly for them to leave - but they'd never risk it. We would only find out through a series of hellos or when the game came out and Chris was bumped down to a "producer" or "creative consultant" credit like they did with Freelancer.

Why did you give Kayak the Legman treatment you monster? :(