Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Massively Overpowered: Vague Patch Notes: Why stan an MMO with nothing to show for itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

this is the game where many vehicles have a lower top speed than vehicles in the real world

Look, they have achieve great things like 2-mile range truck-launched missiles.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Lammasu posted:

Once again a lot of sci fi video games do that. The pump action shotgun in Halo infuriates me.

Yeah Halo does do that.

If you're fighting in space you'd at least need to have some attachment to collect spent casings, you can't afford to have shells and casings just floating everywhere in a ship.

That or probably everything would use caseless ammo.

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?
is the game out

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Unmute

https://i.imgur.com/NYq0VNF.mp4

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

This should have been much worse than it was.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

:gary:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
i really hope that leak is true and they arbitrarily cap the alpha state of their shithouse mmo in a while with only like one game loop in it and they're like "yep. Feature complete" and then all the cultists will say "well yeah it loving sucks but it's in BETA and I already have more fun with it than I ever had or will have in any other video game" and they keep buying more spaceships

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Oh man following that

https://massivelyop.com/2020/09/21/star-citizens-chris-roberts-says-the-games-economy-simulation-tech-is-still-a-ways-off/

THE COMMENTS SECTION :allears:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah Halo does do that.

If you're fighting in space you'd at least need to have some attachment to collect spent casings, you can't afford to have shells and casings just floating everywhere in a ship.

That or probably everything would use caseless ammo.

I can give most games that do that a pass because they're not claiming to be fidelitous and realistic. It's just always funny to me that Roberts had free reign to imagine basically anything for the handheld weapons of the far future and couldn't come up with anything other than "probably some AR-15s with glowing crap bolted on." I suppose that is more forward looking than his idea of space combat, which is "World War II dogfighting with glowing crap bolted on."

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Inacio posted:

i'm the teen-friendly and Fortnite-esque gamemode

Looking forward to the bartender doing the floss dance and his arms just blatantly clip through his body.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747

The first comment is just.... perfect.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

TheAgent posted:

crap forgot a few:

• expect a 4.0 announcement "soon" [read: next 90 days] that finally takes Star Citizen into beta stage
  • no specific date tied to 4.0 but expect it "soon" [read: Q2/Q3 2021]
  • with the addition of Pyro/beta, server limits will be increased to 100 for each star system
  • new system will limit the number of concurrent players in a single area, able to split and combine players "seamlessly" as required [we'll see!]
  • this is the first step of "server meshing" talked about the last half decade

quote:

• Theaters of War has gone back to the drawing board [I'm pretty sure its KIA]
  • the investors supposedly do see value in that mode and it is not entirely dead
  • more "fast-paced," "teen-friendly," and "Fortnite-esque" are words exchanged about ToWs future

The future is bright!

quote:

• investors were surprised that Star Citizen already had a "Star Wars: Squadrons" mode and that it wasn't marketed more and more heavily monetized

Arena Commander is practically ToW already. You can spawn on foot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waMpqjAMR7o

You can spawn in the hardy mining vehicle

You can do everything. Beat that Squadrons!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Dreadwroth2 posted:

The first comment is just.... perfect.

Honestly I'm like 90% sure that "Sean Barfoot" is a goon. Has to be.

But look at D-Smart and Joe Blobers going to war in the rest of the comments :allears:

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
The more I'm learning about SC the more I'm getting convinced that even if it were a technical marvel programmed by literal software engineering gods, running smoothly with thousands of players per server - it would still be *the* most loving bland, boring and beige sci-fi-esque IP currently in existence. Everything, from SQ42 plot tidbits to design of weapons and ships to worldbuilding and lore is just plain and boring at best, and downright goofy at worst (I still can't get over the name New Babbage). Honestly I'd rather read more Stimpire lore

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

TheAgent posted:

hello
  • number of employees at CIG proper now less than 350
  • many 3rd party contractors bring this total up higher
  • "This is the second time we have enlisted the major help of third party developers. Loads of us wonder about another waste of resources, since we brought everything back in-house [in 2017/2018] anyway. Are we going to look through their work and again say 'Not good enough?'"

Pretty crazy shift from 2018 if so

quote:

Costs followed a similar pattern to 2017 with only $0.3M of contracted services in the US, whilst the Rest of World increased its contracted services spend by $0.3M (+10%) to $3.3M.

The churn bucket not refilling? Calders dishing out tasks to Turbulent?

Illfonic should totally get in on this.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
"teens will love this poo poo!" I say as I spend my 19th straight minute in quantum travel

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
*whispering to myself as deliver the same box for the hundredth time*

"gonna get that fortnite money"

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
*watching 5 minutes of clipping animations as the bartender makes my Hairy Roberts*

"yeet"

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
"But look Mommy, I can get whiskey, beer, or whiskey. So can I get that Idris now?"

Canasta_Nasty
Aug 23, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Honestly I'm like 90% sure that "Sean Barfoot" is a goon. Has to be.

But look at D-Smart and Joe Blobers going to war in the rest of the comments :allears:

I can't bring myself to read them all but just the knowledge that DSmart and Blobers are going toe-to-toe in post after post, brings me joy.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

happyhippy posted:

"But look Mommy, I can get whiskey, beer, or whiskey. So can I get that Idris now?"

-Just buy one hit of bad ice you noob.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Star Citizen: 10 minus 9 for the Chairman

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://twitter.com/subvegio/status/1309256507716964354
https://twitter.com/subvegio/status/1309252321507971072
https://twitter.com/subvegio/status/1309252958018834432

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.reddit.com/r/SubredditDrama/comments/iyulvg/in_a_meme_post_about_star_citizen_one_brave/

quote:

There is an ongoing YouTube series called sunk cost galaxy. It is a behind the scenes look from a former investor. Take a look. It is super interesting.

quote:

I had a co-worker about 4 years ago, who had dumped about $15,000 into Star Citizen. This was a man making ~$40K a year. His reasoning for spending thousands on a it was that eventually the game would come out and be awesome, and he'd had a head start.

It's the same reason people plug slot machines for hours and hours: the expectation of some pay out for your "investment".

quote:

quote:

Has near zero replayability once you have played for a couple hundred hours as well.
I feel like I'm going insane reading this sentence

There's a pizza joint near my house that sucks, you can't eat another slice once you've eaten the whole pie

quote:

Somebody who had spent over $5000 on the game weighed in on why they are doing it, and compared it to a gambling addiction. It’s honestly kinda crazy to read and makes me understand why people get hooked into this stuff. I copy and pasted it below:

“I gave the original Kickstarter $60 when they were promising a go anywhere and do anything space sim, and then $40 again when they decided to add the campaign mode. Seems fine, supporting a really cool sounding game and getting everything early. Then the developers released limited edition founder ships you can buy for real money, 3 of them at $20 a pop. Seems overpriced, but I really enjoyed the small chunk of the game that they released already and the main game is literally supposed to be that times 300,000, plus the developer are all reputable game creators so they will totally deliver, right? so I invest into those ships, thinking that when the game releases you will be ahead of everybody and get the perfect experience.

But then the game gets delayed a ton and the developers reveal that they spent all the money and need more. They aren’t deliver the product I want, so I should just stop, right? But the thing is, I already pumped $160 into this thing, so if I quit now I will essentially have wasted all that money. So now the stakes go up, the chance of the game being good is smaller, and the price is higher, but if the end product is good then my rewards will be significantly higher than they were at the beginning. So I buy the next 3 ships for $100 a pop. And this just keeps going, and it will keep going until the game releases.

And the thing is, I’ll buy that next $1000 ship, because I’m already $5000 in the can. If the final game ever releases, it will be structured so that the people who bought every micro transaction have the best experience, so you have to keep buying in order for the final game to actually work for you. It’s like if you spent $5 on a burger at McDonalds, but then they told you it’s now $10 so you give them a $10 bill. Now they say it’s $15, but if you say no you don’t get your $10 back. So you agree. And this just keeps going and going until you’ve spent $3,000 on a virtual ship in a game which isn’t even that good.

and many many others. Sounds like a goon thread.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Star Citizen: FUDD? No, FOMO!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Canasta_Nasty posted:

I can't bring myself to read them all but just the knowledge that DSmart and Blobers are going toe-to-toe in post after post, brings me joy.

Yeah, Blobbers entered the Octagon.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

TheAgent posted:

investors were surprised that Star Citizen already had a "Star Wars: Squadrons" mode and that it wasn't marketed more and more heavily monetized

:lol:

I love imagining Chris being forced to endure such badgering from Calderfolk. Especially since Keith is the gamer and all about VR. There’s no doubt he’s going to play Star Wars: Squadrons in VR and badger Chris about it.

Star Wars: Squadrons has VR, Chris. So does Elite and No Man’s Sky. Talk about immersive! Seems like a no-brainer — so why don’t you have that running yet?”

“Uhhhhh, well VR is definitely coming—“

https://twitter.com/keithcalder/status/1303819559405666304

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Mu77ley posted:

Technically I'm a gamer dad, but I found NMS to be boring as all shite. Running around punching trees to fill your survival meters a bit so you can stay alive long enough to punch more trees seemed to be the main core of the game. It's got the worst elements of all the survival genre shovelware that came out after Minecraft became a hit.

That, and the actual exploration part (if you had time for it between frantically punching trees to stay alive) was extremely underwhelming as literally every planet had stupid sentinel robots and abandoned bases on, so you never ever felt that you were the first to visit somewhere.

Have you bought an idris?

downout
Jul 6, 2009

and just some quality lol

https://www.reddit.com/r/SubredditDrama/comments/iyulvg/in_a_meme_post_about_star_citizen_one_brave/

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Hey yalll call your parents, love ya!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

"Has near zero replayability once you have played for a couple hundred hours as well."

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

TheAgent posted:

oh wait

hello
  • CIG has been given another 12 months to release the SQ42 first strike/prelude
  • a reminder that this is NOT the full game or "Episode 1" but more of a "demo" in media res

so wait. they havent even finished the campaign part of thing yet? loving seriously? like again. loving EA is publishing a loving TIE FIGHTER/X-WING REMAKE(basicaly) with a full campaign(probably 6-8 hours or so) with 3 game modes with bots in all modes and full VR and joystick support. and Chris can't even poo poo out a loving demo of the Sunk cost fallacy the space sim.

lol at this sad gently caress. they probably did all that poo poo two years ago or so if not longer. also bethesda actually releases fun enough games and publishes good ones. unlike scams that this moron falls for,

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

so wait. they havent even finished the campaign part of thing yet? loving seriously? like again. loving EA is publishing a loving TIE FIGHTER/X-WING REMAKE(basicaly) with a full campaign(probably 6-8 hours or so) with 3 game modes with bots in all modes and full VR and joystick support. and Chris can't even poo poo out a loving demo of the Sunk cost fallacy the space sim.

lol at this sad gently caress. they probably did all that poo poo two years ago or so if not longer. also bethesda actually releases fun enough games and publishes good ones. unlike scams that this moron falls for,

The full finished SQ42 game is 6 years behind schedule.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Why nerds always compare everything to hamburgers

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

WaltherFeng posted:

Why nerds always compare everything to hamburgers

What a nothingburger of a post

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Tipping one out for our friend, Dapper Don.

Cheers

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

I'd love to watch the beads of sweat form on CRs brow as a hard deadline gets thrown down.

Calder's n Co: On November 25 th 2021 you will shovel out the door SQ42 in what ever state it's in, no matter how unfished lovely or broken.

CR: We can put out a short playable demo !

Calder's n Co:.....

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

oh wait

hello

[*]"We're doing [in-game cinematics] twice. We create a simple preview using [UE4 Blueprint/Sequencer] for approval, since it's faster. After sign-off, we create them [into Lumberyard using Track View, a CryEngine tool]."

[/list]

I'm no game designer but this looks fishy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Lammasu posted:

I haven't seen anything this crazy since my best friend went full Qanon.

hosed up if true.

TheAgent posted:

oh wait

hello
  • CIG has been given another 12 months to release the SQ42 first strike/prelude
  • a reminder that this is NOT the full game or "Episode 1" but more of a "demo" in media res
  • this new date is "absolutely immovable" by new oversight committee (lol: we'll see)
  • this is a combination of covid19 and other development woes
  • hearing (again) that UE4 is being utilized for cutscenes
  • "We're doing [in-game cinematics] twice. We create a simple preview using [UE4 Blueprint/Sequencer] for approval, since it's faster. After sign-off, we create them [into Lumberyard using Track View, a CryEngine tool]."
  • supposedly this creates less work, as approval/rough cut cutscenes take "a very, very long time to sculpt" in LY/CE
  • post-approval cutscenes were constantly changed, even after sign-off
  • these highly-detailed, complex and polished final cuts went back to planning, sometimes being completely rewritten as other chapters of the game changed
  • "thousands and thousands of man-hours" continue to be lost to this, according to 3rd party animator
  • final cut in "immediate lockdown" starting Q4 2020
  • this means no more changes to the initial story, animations or voice acting
  • number of employees at CIG proper now less than 350
  • many 3rd party contractors bring this total up higher
  • "This is the second time we have enlisted the major help of third party developers. Loads of us wonder about another waste of resources, since we brought everything back in-house [in 2017/2018] anyway. Are we going to look through their work and again say 'Not good enough?'"

A Drops

e: Join the Aanon