Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Sample_text posted:

Also double posting, but can any of the fine goons parse this word salad for me , in smooth-brain, non CTO words?

https://webmshare.com/YzP6j

"We need your money so we need to lie through our teeth and tell you that each of our 3 month (like clockwork, haha, nope) updates is totally playable and stable. It is also very early early early alpha after 8 years"

e:

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Sep 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

TheAgent posted:

is hardsuit labs yet another loving contractor lol

0:21 secs into that clip

wtf

Hardsuit Labs that Paradox part-owns, the Vampire Masquerade guys?

Hilarious if true - Ortwin must be feeling right at home.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Jumping sand worms AND space jellyfish like in the TNG pilot (or the Tiyanki from Stellaris) :allears:

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

I just checked in on the German faithfuls posting on gamestar.de. They're relishing in Star Citizen's (technical) achievements.

quote:

2014: first scripted multicrew demo on a ship
2015: Port Olisar and surroundings, multicrew not just on a ship but on a space station, space, ship, etc.
2016: planet tech mission with sandworm + ground vehicles + editor showcase + Idris ingame teaser
2017: planet text on another level: Area 18. An entire city planet. Jump to Hurston (and Idris Capital showcase in a mission + Idris vs Idris MP showcase at gamescom)
2018: yet more planet tech, showcase of the awesome Face over IP. mission teaser. Law and order System. Lorville+space station+train showcase.
2019: Carrack showcase, Microtech showcase + storm and weather system showcase + Cloth Physics + Inventory and Inner Thought Wheel + Tools + Climbing System + Player State System + Ship AI in Atmosphere + Jump Point Showcase + Pyro System Teaser

you can see how they make huge strides in development each year (and yet the haters cry that there has been no development in the last 5 years) and every year they ticked another "it's impossible" off the list ^^

I'm exected what they will show us this year :D
Volumetric clouds on planets are probably coming. Maybe we can gather (Starfarer love?) and process fuel, fitting with space nebula in 3.12?
Maybe even water planets?

They're even celebrating the fake sandiworm as a huge achievement for Star Citizen :aaaaa:

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
So this might be offtopic, but I found it worth mentioning:

Trip report from No Man's Sky.

So I decide to land on this grey looking barren planet to dig up some Salvaged Data .... so I can build some Solar panels.
The whole place is absolutely deserted. No plants, no wildlife, barely any resources, no structures, no cliffs . no nothing.
The only things stand out are these weird giant mushroom looking things that look like massive Xenomorph skulls. They're kinda creepy but meh.....
This place has 0 salvaged data and I prepare to leave disappointed thinking "Man the procedural generation really screwed up with this place...."
But before I climb in my spaceship I notice a thing called a "whispering egg" . I think "huh some unique resource to this place, might as well pick it up" .
As soon as I crack the egg open, 15 xenomorphs burst out of the ground and bum-rush me. I run like mad to my spaceship and blast off.
Apparently these eggs are worth a poo poo-ton of money .So I fly my ship around for a bit, outrun the xenomorphs and land near a cave.
This cave...... is loving FULL to the brim with these eggs. Now........ I know that if I touch any of them the xenos will struggle-snuggle me to death, but goddamn those things are worth a lot of cash.
So ....... I build and place a marker next to the cave and think "......later".

As I blast off the planet , my smooth brain finally realizes the obvious : "Oh , I guess that's why the planet is deserted, huh? " And I guess that was the deal with the xeno-mushrooms.

All of this came from exploring a planet generated by an algorithm.
What is it that the cultists say about this game?
"As wide as an ocean, as deep as a puddle?"

Can you do ANYTHING resembling what I describe on Not-Noveria, or Not-Cyberpunk planet? Any of their moons?

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Kosumo posted:

I disagree.

I have had plenty of fun exploring the procedural landscapes in minecraft.

As have I. I would suggest that the difference lies in how Minecraft doesn't need realism, so it can skip the safe and boring environments and allow for some really out there results. I particularly liked the versions where it could accidentally make floating islands and such.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Sample_text posted:

So I decide to land on this grey looking barren planet to dig up some Salvaged Data .... so I can build some Solar panels.
The whole place is absolutely deserted. No plants, no wildlife, barely any resources, no structures, no cliffs . no nothing.
The only things stand out are these weird giant mushroom looking things that look like massive Xenomorph skulls. They're kinda creepy but meh.....
This place has 0 salvaged data and I prepare to leave disappointed thinking "Man the procedural generation really screwed up with this place...."
But before I climb in my spaceship I notice a thing called a "whispering egg" . I think "huh some unique resource to this place, might as well pick it up" .
As soon as I crack the egg open, 15 xenomorphs burst out of the ground and bum-rush me. I run like mad to my spaceship and blast off.
Apparently these eggs are worth a poo poo-ton of money .So I fly my ship around for a bit, outrun the xenomorphs and land near a cave.
This cave...... is loving FULL to the brim with these eggs. Now........ I know that if I touch any of them the xenos will struggle-snuggle me to death, but goddamn those things are worth a lot of cash.

As I blast off the planet , my smooth brain finally realizes the obvious : "Oh , I guess that's why the planet is deserted, huh? " And I guess that was the deal with the xeno-mushrooms.

Can you do ANYTHING resembling what I describe on Not-Noveria, or Not-Cyberpunk planet? Any of their moons?

The xeno-snuggle trap is a bit of a one-off gotcha. But it's a good one. (Seems like they've added more 'extreme world' oddities with the latest update, so maybe there are more now).

It's almost like Chris's vision of regular updates post-launch to stop everything getting stale. They learned from the master.

(If I was to criticise NMSes technicolour spree of updates, it'd be that there's still a kind of jumbled shapelessness to the game. Like does the mech actually do anything that the truck doesn't? Other than confuse me in VR with a new set of controls? Aren't the building adventure-unlocks pretty redundant now that the multiplayer hub shops are a thing? Yeppp, pretty much. It does feel like they're just flinging sticky things at aspects of it, adding content at points, causing a splodgy mess at others. But never really resolving the core launch weakness, that 'endless exploration' is a kind of an aimless thing to do.)

Game still good though, in many ways.

But don't worry, Chris's worm will be ridden in by your bespoke nemesis, Gary. And will aim to eat only the bodily organs you fear losing the most. (That tier 3 bladder didn't just earn itself you know).

PC gaming *will* be saved.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

is hardsuit labs yet another loving contractor lol

0:21 secs into that clip

wtf

Probably just some guy who used to work there before going to CIG. Nice doggo, though

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sample_text posted:

That's neat, at least :)

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

So I went on twitch and watched about 20 minutes of gameplay. There weren’t any bugs (although the streamer seemed to be doing everything in his power to avoid stairs) but it was so unbelievably boring. Everything was boring.

Anyway one thing that wasn’t boring was when he landed on a planet. At one point the ship he was flying (kind of looked like a Firefly ripoff) was suspended in midair, about 50 degrees nose down, about 20 feet above ground level. Is there really no... gravity? It looked super weird to see the ship hanging there, no visible forces acting on it, not even like a hovering animation, just completely still. Is it like that on all ships?

And then the engines swiveled 90 degrees, which I felt was a bit unnecessary considering it seemed to have no problems hovering with the engines in line with the ship.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Prop Wash posted:

And then the engines swiveled 90 degrees, which I felt was a bit unnecessary considering it seemed to have no problems hovering with the engines in line with the ship.

Get a load of this, someone is questioning Robert's fidelity.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
Yep, good ol' no-clip flight model. As far as we know there isn't really a flight model, you're basically just navigating a model around that has no interaction with it's environment besides when it crashes into things (and even then it often just bounces off with no ill effects). It's also quite noticeable that ships have no mass and thus no momentum that needs to be overcome to change directions or slow down.

It tries to fake a flight model (very fidelitious!) by having engines and thrusters that move around to make you think they're doing anything but gravity and atmosphere (or anything else) have no effect on how a ship flies until it exits "flight mode". At which point suddenly gravity attacks the ship and if you've parked poorly will likely cause either the landing gear or ramp to clip through the ground and fling the ship away at very high speeds.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Prop Wash posted:

So I went on twitch and watched about 20 minutes of gameplay. There weren’t any bugs (although the streamer seemed to be doing everything in his power to avoid stairs) but it was so unbelievably boring. Everything was boring.

Anyway one thing that wasn’t boring was when he landed on a planet. At one point the ship he was flying (kind of looked like a Firefly ripoff) was suspended in midair, about 50 degrees nose down, about 20 feet above ground level. Is there really no... gravity? It looked super weird to see the ship hanging there, no visible forces acting on it, not even like a hovering animation, just completely still. Is it like that on all ships?

Functioning of thrusters in the future as envisioned by Star Citizen is indistinguishable from magic noclip.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

quote:

From a non believer, to a currack in 1 day. self.starcitizen

TL;DR - I hated this game, without even trying it... What an idiot. Now that Ive tried it, my friends have had a hard time getting me off it!

I was hooked. I purchased the carrack standalone with a seperate pledge, and I've been on every night since. I have ate my pride and ego, I let all my friend who I've been talking about to over the years I'm back into it. They were very happy I was coming Into their world, and even happier when they found out we all own a currack!

just try the game goons

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Inacio posted:

just try the game goons

Ah yes, things that have definitely happened.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Unless the new update changed things dramatically, NMS really is an inch deep. At a certain point you realize you've seen constructively everything and it's up to you to make your own fun or move on. But that's ok, there's enough to do and see that the time spent do-ing is quiet enjoyable, it just kinda peters out rather than ends.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Maybe I'm reading too much into Ben's post, but he doesn't really says he works for CI.

It's just a "work" computer... wherever he works nowadays.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDnUD73gRXk&t=138s

whoa did these guys license body dragging from CIG

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

chadbear posted:

I just checked in on the German faithfuls posting on gamestar.de. They're relishing in Star Citizen's (technical) achievements.

They're even celebrating the fake sandiworm as a huge achievement for Star Citizen :aaaaa:

Haven’t looked into the Gamestar thread in month... I assume DeathSnake is still shilling hard?

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Inacio posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDnUD73gRXk&t=138s

whoa did these guys license body dragging from CIG

Nothing clipped through the floor, so it will probably be their own inferior cheating lazy implementation without fidelity

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8aXv81Yqfk

quote:

3:15 spawn through physics, get stuck outside of map bounds.
4:20 spawn in fallen state, have to get up. Also spawn with empty clip.
4:35 massive desync on hostile player
5:32 spawn through physics, get stuck outside of map bounds.
6:02 spawn in fallen state, have to get up.
6:12 P4-AR has no bullets, even though I just respawned.
6:52 spawn through physics, get stuck outside of map bounds.
7:37 spawn in fallen state, have to get up. Also spawn with empty clip.
9:19 spawn through physics, get stuck outside of map bounds. Also have empty clip.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

lol you almost tricked me into watching 10 minutes of Star Marine. Not this time!

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

It never ceases to amaze me how broken all of this is. Just what the gently caress is going on with the targeting reticle? Why is it going all the way to the edge of the screen when he moves. :lol: at every spawn being somehow horribly broken

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Prop Wash posted:

:lol: you didn't think about the gravity goo distribution system. Beginner's mistake.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
the guy in the clip spawning outside the map in space and trying to kill himself but being unable to is a powerful visual metaphor for sc

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I like how in space you can still hear everything, its just muted. Like being underwater! :)

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/subvegio/status/1309014132855840772
https://twitter.com/deathsmeg/status/1309047927197904902

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Twitter was a mistake

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Massive loving yikes from the unhinged Star Citizen crowd is nothing new, but still... :stare: Serious response though is that Bethesda is not taking peoples money and then still not delivering on any promises 8 years later. Bethesda also has legal obligations to meet, CIG does not. They could shut down Star Citizen entirely right this instant and there would be no consequences for them doing so.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Lol CIG did not do the exact same thing.

They hardly did a thing.

Hell, they hardly did a t

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Mu77ley posted:

Technically I'm a gamer dad, but I found NMS to be boring as all shite.

Congrats! You're a sane person. That game is indeed boring as poo poo.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Gio confirms Star Citizen rewritten for consoles.

Cool

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Bethesda has shipped what like, 12 full retail game releases plus another dozen expansions?

CIG has shipped.... zero.

Hrm.

Also BETHESDA ISN'T SELLING $5,000 SPACESHIPS FOR AN UNRELEASED PROJECT

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

DigitalPenny posted:

The legal it's not a scam bugs me

You know it's not illegal to sleep with your best mates girl or Heckel during your sisters wedding vowes ...

Do you need a legal umpire in to officialy declare you scum ? Even if it's on the line not technically scummy your a poo poo bloke.

CR has taken in IPO level funding which has in large part gone self enrichment, lying , hyping and covering up how little game development has gone on.

Yes they are still making a game, some developers actually put iome fine work it's just dosent line up with what was sold. In year 9 they can't even show what your going to get or when.

Ita like a legal charity that raises a million dollars but only manages to deliver one bag of rice to the hungry because 99% was spent on admin fees that are largely executive salaries. Except instead of outrage you have a pack of uneducated people shouting down any criticism because if you don't want to feed the hungry you can GTFo and be a bad person somewhere else. Rice markets are tricky.

Yup.

That's why I hang around. Trying to see how the cards are gonna fall, if they ever do.

Like I said, this is like a reverse Disney movie where the scummy villains get away with it all and you're left wondering how.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I’m not sure I’m following Gio Get Neckbeard’s point here. Did anyone really care when they “switched” to Lumberyard, which is just a different branch of the same engine? It was just a legal cover for them to continue to use CryEngine.

Like the general gaming public didn’t give a poo poo, and the backers praised it, because they thought CIG would now have the full resources of Amazon at their disposal or some crap like that.

In any case, most reasonable people with knowledge of the industry have said for years that CIG needs to star over in a new engine. And even if they did it now, going on 9 years in, the backers would still love them for it.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 24, 2020

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I said come in! posted:

Massive loving yikes from the unhinged Star Citizen crowd is nothing new, but still... :stare: Serious response though is that Bethesda is not taking peoples money and then still not delivering on any promises 8 years later. Bethesda also has legal obligations to meet, CIG does not. They could shut down Star Citizen entirely right this instant and there would be no consequences for them doing so.

This is kind of a big thing.

Even Derek and his games, despite how terrible they are they are what he wanted and he used his own money to fund them.

You can just say "game sucks" but you can't call him out for scamming anybody or stealing their money.

Bethesda is the same way. Their recent track record since Skyrim has been pretty terrible, but you can't say anything was a scam. F76 is especially junk and broken but I still wouldn't call it a scam because people are paying for a sub.

And of course the big issue here is also the sheer amount of time that has passed. At some point you need to step out from behind the pre-alpha shield and let reviewers kill your game for you.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

colonelwest posted:

I’m not sure I’m following Gio Get Neckbeard’s point here. Did anyone really care when they “switched” to Lumberyard, which is just a different branch of the same engine? It was just a legal cover for them to continue to use CryEngine.

Like the general gaming public didn’t give a poo poo, and the backers praised it, because they thought CIG would now have the full resources of Amazon at their disposal or some crap like that.

In any case, most reasonable people with knowledge of the industry have said for years that CIG needs to star over in a new engine. And even if they did it now, going on 9 years in, the backers would still love them for it.

There was some care, because CIG was already leveraging themselves away from CryTek by claiming to have made a StarEngine and people ate it up.

Once they "moved" to lumberyard it had to be a big broom sweep of CIGs engine talks because all it proved was Star Citizen was just a crysis mod, and using another engine was as easy as moving some files.

This is kind of the area where StarEngine died and the Lumberyard horn sounded, and then people immediately assumed Amazon was helping to co build the game and that CIG was some critical piece to helping Amazon build out their game engine.

Which we know now is very false and AWS does not mind indicating as such publicly.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Who the gently caress is giving present day Bethesda/Todd Howard the "benefit of the doubt."

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Todd Howards games loving suck, but the sales of those games speak for themselves. They are massively successful financially, and that is all his superiors at Zenimax care about. Gamers have low standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Bethesda is usually really good at creating a compelling world that players want to explore; but from Fallout 3 onwards, the story/role playing elements have been a giant gaping crater in the middle of each game, that gets worse and worse.

Fallout 4’s story was never even finished, and they just left the Institute’s goals and motivations as a giant plot canyon and didn’t care. But if you fixed/expanded on the writing and put in a few more story quests with actual meat to them, the game would have been universally praised. There’s so much detail in the game’s world, and the settlement building/crafting systems really compel you to constantly go out exploring.

Hopefully, which how much they got raked over the coals for Fallout 76, to the point that it severely hurt its sales, and with the influence of Microsoft, they’ll finally learn their lesson.