Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Popete posted:

Because SC doesn't hide loading screens! It's all one big map. Never mind that it doesn't actually work and only hosts 50 players, Chris says one day it will host millions of players.

quote:

Server meshing and object containers means that the Jump Point can itself be an instanced space. Server meshing means star systems will not be monolithic spaces but discrete boxes of space handled by different server instances. As far as your client will be concerned, there should be literally nothing different to flying in the Stanton system to a jump point ring, flying through the Jump Point space, and emerging into space in Pyro and flying around in it -- your client is loading object containers. Once server meshing is in, going from one object container to another will sometimes be an instance transition and needs to happen seamlessly.

Object containers mean space isn't one single global gridspace that can't overlap with anything. CIG should be able to have an object container tunnel between two star systems and as far as the game is concerned it's just loading containers one after another.

Unless CIG totally throws away their own object container solution they've spent the last like 4 years making, jump points will not be a disguised loading screen but just another piece of space. CIG have described it as being "on rails" in the sense that you will not be flying with total freedom but needing to navigate the tunnel from one end to the other.

As for failing to traverse the jump point correctly, they've said you'll die or, if you're lucky you'll take massive amounts of damage and get dropped out into some random place in space - presumably in either the star system you left or the one you were trying to go to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
This ambitious kitten absolves itself

https://i.imgur.com/1PLdpnc.mp4

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Dreadwroth2 posted:

Uhhh Star Citizens I have literally jumped into a system, approached a planet, landed, hopped out in my totally working SRV, and drove around a moon totally seamlessly in Elite. In what way is that trickery aside from the normal "hiding loading screens" thing super common in games since Resident Evil 1 came out?

The trickery is when you enter the planet and get kicked out of supercruise, or jump into supercruise, or jump systems via witchspace, etc. In any non-cult context these are considered smart ways to hide loading. They're relatively quick and thematic and the long whirring buildup to ftl travel is super satisfying.

Conversely, a bad way to hide loading is to have interminably long descents then despite those having geometry popping up post-descent. It may be poo poo, but at least it's not fake, and this matters because you are desperately grasping at straws trying to say why ~ambition~ trumps competence.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dreadwroth2 posted:

In what way is that trickery aside from the normal "hiding loading screens" thing super common in games since Resident Evil 1 came out?

That's the thing though, what we're mocking is that Chris Roberts feels it is "wrong" to have games use cheats like... hiding loading screens.

The Chris Roberts Way is to simulate everything as if it was real, have an entire virtual world running in a server.

This is pointlessly stupid so we're making fun of it :) But Star Citizens believe in this and this is why its okay that SC is taking 20 years, because its "real" unlike other games which are "fake".

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zaphod42 posted:

Last I checked you can't do any of that in Star Citizen either :)

Lmao game fanfiction

My favourite part is the last sentence, because my brain just goes and autocompletes it:

"...before I get 30K or CtD"

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Let's reminisce
Star Citizen right not to ape “basic, bare minimum” approach of Elite: Dangerous, claims Chris Roberts

quote:

While Chris Roberts told Kotaku Braben’s approach was “a totally viable way to go about it”, he also claims the game itself launched with the “basic, bare minimum of features” and dismisses the idea that it’ll be easier for Frontier to retrofit the game later on in life if Star Citizen proves to be a threat.

quote:

“The race isn’t finished yet,” he concludes. “Wait till the finish line is crossed and then I’ll say people can make judgements about whether it was the right way or not. Instinctively, it was the way that felt right to me.”

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Mailer posted:

The trickery is when you enter the planet and get kicked out of supercruise, or jump into supercruise, or jump systems via witchspace, etc. In any non-cult context these are considered smart ways to hide loading. They're relatively quick and thematic and the long whirring buildup to ftl travel is super satisfying.

Conversely, a bad way to hide loading is to have interminably long descents then despite those having geometry popping up post-descent. It may be poo poo, but at least it's not fake, and this matters because you are desperately grasping at straws trying to say why ~ambition~ trumps competence.

Excactly this, but somehow there is a crowd who think delaying a project for years and spending tens of millions of dollars for a sub par outcome is still a good idea.

Zaphod42 posted:

That's the thing though, what we're mocking is that Chris Roberts feels it is "wrong" to have games use cheats like... hiding loading screens.

The Chris Roberts Way is to simulate everything as if it was real, have an entire virtual world running in a server.

This is pointlessly stupid so we're making fun of it :) But Star Citizens believe in this and this is why its okay that SC is taking 20 years, because its "real" unlike other games which are "fake".

Nothing is fake over here, but please dont look as we scale you down to a 100th of your size and have the elevator clip through the geometry to get to your destination. Please marvel at our complex room gas simulation, the pressure , the tempature the ARGON !!! ...... no no the door dosent just check if space suit = 1 when you open the air lock ..... no dont trust that dam dancing cat !!! we are not fake dammit. Cats cant dance!!!!

The Chris Roberts Way is to claim to simulate everything as if it was real then just fake the living gently caress out of it .... but do a real bad job while charging people for the privilage of witnessing the event

DigitalPenny fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Sep 30, 2020

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Quavers posted:

:v:Mission givers are leaving their designated areas / wandering from their posts:v:[/b]

At this point I'm convinced that they're really trying to develop some neural network to play their game and serve the drinks and whatnot. How can it possibly happen that NPC that should just sit on his rear end in one place forever just fucks off to wherever? More likely option is that :iiasb: wanders around building saying that the four jacket guy should just sit there, other day he says he should have a life and go for a hotdog or something. But I wouldn't be surprised by neural network because that's just dumb

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Have CIG just come out and killed the grey market?

Limiting the amount of trading you can do?

Cos if so that is so funny - how is MoMA going to make 4 times his money now?

(From Reddit - Star Citizen Refund)

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man
All this talk of Frontier, and they still stay classy

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/elite-dangerous-horizons-is-becoming-a-free-expansion/

Imagine that - given the opportunity to carry on selling an expansion which seems to be mandatory for the upcoming space legs DLC, what do they do, jack up the price to catch the hype wave about space legs? Nope - they give it away for nothing.

It made me wonder, what would Crobblers do in that situation?

:iiam:

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Jonny Shiloh posted:

https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/elite-dangerous-horizons-is-becoming-a-free-expansion/

Imagine that - given the opportunity to carry on selling an expansion which seems to be mandatory for the upcoming space legs DLC, what do they do, jack up the price to catch the hype wave about space legs? Nope - they give it away for nothing.

:iiasb: :ms:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Kosumo posted:

lol, looks like it. One gift a week.

I didn't know you can't gift a > $1,000 ship either.

Edit: Love the classy nickname in the response. Should ask him how Karnage is doing.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Sep 30, 2020

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Kosumo posted:

Interesting if true

Citizens are currently crying fake though

Nothing on the FAQ about it at the moment. Need Chris to leap forth and talk about 'pledge to win'.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Just when my avenger sky rockets in value by $5 dollars in value ....

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost
If ItsDatBro confirmed it, I have to believe it.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Jonny Shiloh posted:

To make Verse more accessible, they recently increased prices of starter ships because... greedreasons

I am not sure whether I ever saw in any other game older DLCs or microtransaction items to increase in their store price. Never done before, I guess.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Sep 30, 2020

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time
It has been a few months but it is time for CLOUD IMPERIUM UK LTD to once again gently caress about with its share capital.
The info hasn't been processed by Companies House yet but on the face of it, I think they have reduced the nominal share capital from 1.1million shares with a par value of nothing, to fewer, I don't know 100,000 shares maybe also with a par value of nothing.

There will be a statement about how they are good for all their debts and such to accompany this move. On the face of it this is another pointless move so maybe there is some point to it. The total share capital remains £117.158 apparently but perhaps some shares have changed hands.

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
I noted how walking around on the planet and in buildings isn't the alpha state, but the pre-alpha state.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Beexoffel posted:

I noted how walking around on the planet and in buildings isn't the alpha state, but the pre-alpha state.

not like that means anything anymore to be fair

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Inacio posted:

not like that means anything anymore to be fair

True that. I just thought it placed SC back to pre-alpha as well.

Looking further, is this bar tender mo-cap?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Ffycchi posted:

Well...I stand by that I won't live long enough to see star citizen.

Nsfwish:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/CtztPhu8TcsDP3ze9

I really hope you get better soon.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Montoya rants and cringes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLXihIG5hLM

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Ffycchi posted:

Well...I stand by that I won't live long enough to see star citizen.

Nsfwish:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/CtztPhu8TcsDP3ze9

My best wishes for a speedy recovery, Ffycchi!

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
:reddit: New PTU Ship Prices Will Bowl You Over

https://v.redd.it/145owhd7n8q51/DASH_480.mp4

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Pixelate posted:

:reddit: New PTU Ship Prices Will Bowl You Over

https://v.redd.it/145owhd7n8q51/DASH_480.mp4

Even in the 3 seconds that you can see the surroundings, there is:
- one NPC glitching 90 degrees for a frame
- second NPC doing a nice slide instead of walking
- third NPC is standing right behind one of the displays
:classiclol:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:reddit: [Blackmarket] WTS Veteran Backer Praetorian Account with Gold Anvil F8C Lightning Executive Edition LTI & Anvil F8C Lightning LTI - $1500

WTS Veteran Backer Praetorian Account $1500

I'm looking to exit the game as I'm no longer interested in Star Citizen. This account is my secondary Star Citizen account and does not come with the original email.

Buy with peace of mind knowing that I have 6 years of trading experience on this subreddit, and have 580 trades officially recorded.

1) Star Citizen Veteran Backer since 2013
- clean Spectrum history
- zero bans or suspensions
- all stretch goal rewards

2) All Praetorian level rewards and below including
- Gold Anvil F8C Lightning Executive Edition with LTI
- Anvil F8C Lightning with LTI

3) Aurora MR Game Package with Star Citizen & SQ42

PM me to discuss if you're interested.

:ohdear::homebrew:

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Bumble He posted:

trams yrev eb tsum ti tub tib eno teg ton od

"Furthermore, I consider that Star Citizen must be destroyed", or something to that effect

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Quavers posted:

:reddit: [Blackmarket] WTS Veteran Backer Praetorian Account with Gold Anvil F8C Lightning Executive Edition LTI & Anvil F8C Lightning LTI - $1500

WTS Veteran Backer Praetorian Account $1500

I'm looking to exit the game as I'm no longer interested in Star Citizen. This account is my secondary Star Citizen account and does not come with the original email.

Buy with peace of mind knowing that I have 6 years of trading experience on this subreddit, and have 580 trades officially recorded.

1) Star Citizen Veteran Backer since 2013
- clean Spectrum history
- zero bans or suspensions
- all stretch goal rewards

2) All Praetorian level rewards and below including
- Gold Anvil F8C Lightning Executive Edition with LTI
- Anvil F8C Lightning with LTI

3) Aurora MR Game Package with Star Citizen & SQ42

PM me to discuss if you're interested.

:ohdear::homebrew:

So $1500 is wanted for the account. Does anyone know whether it's selling at a discount/premium to the cost? If so, how much discount/premium?

marumaru
May 20, 2013

quote:

[PSA] We are screwed, gifting limits incoming. (self.Starcitizen_trades)

The end is here. We are all dead.

The end is nigh.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Ponzi posted:

So $1500 is wanted for the account. Does anyone know whether it's selling at a discount/premium to the cost? If so, how much discount/premium?

who knows

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Dwesa posted:

To make Verse more accessible, they recently increased prices of starter ships because... greedreasons

I am not sure whether I ever saw in any other game older DLCs or microtransaction items to increase in their store price. Never done before, I guess.

In many p2w games if an item on sale is too good for its price then, after a while, it disappears from the store. Later on a modified version appears with a higher price tag.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Dreadwroth2 posted:

Uhhh Star Citizens I have literally jumped into a system, approached a planet, landed, hopped out in my totally working SRV, and drove around a moon totally seamlessly in Elite. In what way is that trickery aside from the normal "hiding loading screens" thing super common in games since Resident Evil 1 came out?

Odyssey has me actually thinking about loading Elite back up for a bit.

Chris Roberts thinks that pixels in a video game should be 1:1 to atoms in the real world. Which is why "you control the spaceman who controls the ship" is so important - the spaceman and ship exist independently, like everything else, and when you tell him to sit down he sits in the chair of the ship and then uses the controls to control the ship, which, no matter how you accomplish it, is different only in the minds of the backers from just controlling the ship directly like actual games do. Everything has to "exist" in the gamespace simultaneously, how that's more "real" that using loading screens is beyond me, since everything virtual is fake by definition - loading an entire 30 GB .pst file into RAM at once in Outlook isn't more real than just loading the bits you're currently looking at, but in Chris Roberts's mind, that's "fake." You see, in real life you're holding an entire book, even if you can only see the pages it's opened to, the whole book is always there, so in a game it has to work that way too! That's "real," don't you understand how important it is to just know in the back of your mind that the pages you can't see are there anyway?

There's an ancient philosophical riddle that asks "if a tree falls in the forest and there's nobody there to hear it, does it make a sound?" Nice to know that thousands of years ago, people understood the concept that you don't have to load in resources that nobody is going be there to experience, but Chris Roberts doesn't. The man has a pre-caveman level intellect.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Beexoffel posted:

So SC is better.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dreadwroth2 posted:

It's because they understand gently caress all.
It's not a loading screen in Elite as such, it's a networking handshake, there are vids of people flying planet to planet with no loading, but if you mention this then get ready for an amazing semantics debate and an incredible display of goal post shifting.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

quote:

I’d like to know from your opinion how Elite Dangerous is doing more?

I’m an Elite fan as well but I’d personally rather play Star Citizen.

Last I checked you can’t do the following in Elite Dangerous: You stand on the bridge of your ship with a group of friends and laugh as your companion gobbled down the last hotdog. In the distance you see a sprawling city on a frozen earth like planet. Another friend, the pilot, gently brings the ship toward the spaceport. After the ship lands in the hangar two huge doors close behind shielding the Carrack from the frigid air outside. The ship ramp lowers and with the crew you slowly disembark from the ship.

Walking though the spaceport you all go in your separate ways. One goes to the commons to get something else to eat zipping off in hyper loop connecting the spaceport to the city. Another crewman goes to Centerpoint to pick up the latest ship hardpoints, NBD repeaters, another heads off to the promenade, New Babbage’s night club and bar likely to get a drink. On the way to your apartment you notice a plushy penguin called Pico that would look good in your hab, so you fork over a hundred and fifty credits.

You don your heavy under suit and head off to the garages. There, you see your Nox, your exotic, overpriced space bike, “It’s alien tech” you hear yourself rationalize. You engage systems and the bike hums to life gently hovering off the ground. You ride off into the distance across the frozen lake. “Let’s see how far I can make it today!”

Hang on I want to go back to this. This is a great set up if you're writing a novel, or scripting out a tv show or something. The characters interact, they go off their separate ways to do their thing, and then *something happens* because we're telling a goddamn story. The character's don't want that thing to happen, they want to relax and unwind after actual work and the actual mundane stress of their lives and NOT risk their lives because they don't want to fuckin' die.

Of course, none of that happens in SC because they for some reason want to roleplay the tedium and dullness of real life. OF COURSE in a game they want to play a roguish captain who gets into adventures because it's a goddamn game and the consequences of failure are 'start over', not gently caress you're dead.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Poorly formatted screengrab war is on

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009
I'm always a little sad that I know this game will never exist in the big simulated 'verse they want. I can just imagine them trying to get everyone together in top hats in a big space jacuzzi while eating hot dogs, then some 12 year old just flies in wipes their ship out in seconds for the sweet loot. All these gamer dads screaming their heads off about how the kid isn't "playing the game right" or whatever. Meanwhile, the kid is just trying to make enough money to buy a bigger ship to be space captain, just like them.

This nightmare scenario is entirely their fault, and it's exactly what's going to happen forever if the game were to release.

Alas...

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

I read that as "grifting system"

Peter.Quint
Mar 16, 2018

CIG are saying the gifting limit thing is fake. The grey market continues as before.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/j2jhqs/cig_we_have_limited_the_gifting_system_to_one/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Don't you have to spend like 10k to get the F8C Lightning?