Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They are folding (or at least folding SQ42) and they are just playing for time and extra money. I cannot explain it otherwise, you don't spend two months bringing out roadmap with nothing on it (since you're in beta already).

E: Catte programming Star Citizen

Sanya Juutilainen fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Jul 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

They are folding (or at least folding SQ42) and they are just playing for time and extra money. I cannot explain it otherwise, you don't spend two months bringing out roadmap with nothing on it (since you're in beta already).

E: Catte programming Star Citizen

you can if you are trying to smash cut that new console smell directly into your trailer and are waiting until the last possible second to announce it to your insanely rabid, PC master race backers

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Solarin posted:

every corporate communication from CIG reeks of incompetence, fear and arrogance all at the same time.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

Quavers posted:

:reddit: Alright, so personally I never expected it in 2022. The closest to realistic estimate for release (not Beta, mind you) is 2024-2025+, exactly because of the backlog of work that needs to be done (UI, NPC crew behavior, etc).

These dates will never stop blowing my mind. 15 years for a Crysis mod jesus christ

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

Star Citizen IMHO , has much more to offer than any religion.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1288195276788756480

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah, when was the last time? Let's ask SC fans.

oh

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 29, 2020

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

A conversation I had with the QA team at the Foundry 42 UK offices.
To the QA team: Do you like working here? Ans: Oh yes!
Why? Because it's not like other companies we have worked for (mentions other game companies and large media corporations) you don't spend years and years at the same level. Promotions and mobility within the company is much better here.

What many don't take into account is just how experienced a team there is at Foundry 42 UK and DE.
https://www.giantbomb.com/brian-chambers/3040-73022/ - Brain Chambers is head of F42DE, the team there are the original CryEngine R&D team who left CryTek when they began to fail to pay their employees. The guy who made spherical grid planets in CryEngne a possibility works at F42DE because he was one of the engineers who made CryEngine.These are not interns with a weeks experience.. between the senior staff they have literally hundreds of years of experience in game design for very well known IP's. Mention a AAA game or even a CGI movie/TV series produced prior to 2014 - there's a good chance at least one of them has worked on it at a senior level. They could easily get a job tomorrow with other game developers if they wished, it's the same in the USA for example: Sean Tracy and Tony Zurovec could get a senior level post in just about any game development companies they chose. in 2016 there seemed to be a concerted effort by other game developers to headhunt CIG senior staff with some success, it's probably still going on.

Tyler Witkin for example started as QA and became a community team manager.. training and mentoring is given to anyone who shows an interest in expanding their skill set. It became a running joke on AtV - what's your job title this week?

Whether it is true or not that they pay lower wages pro rata I don't know, but I do know that they generally feel that they can progress and so by doing that they gradually increase their remuneration levels, skill set, and transferable skills and experience for future employers.

I worked for an agency for many years. I could walk into a place of employment and very quickly figure out why it was that an employer was relying heavily on temporary workers. The territorialism of work spaces that goes in companies with morale problems and stress problems etc. There was none of that at F42UK. What was notable to me was that senior designers and managers had their desk right next to junior staff, there was no air of authoritarianism and remote management style... how do I know that? Because the work spaces and walls were covered in their own artwork and inspirations - personalisation.. not memo's and edicts from managers. There were no 'Hands off my cup!' notices and such in the cafeteria area.

quote:

When I left the office to walk to the train station after the end of the tour, one of the CIG junior staff was accompanying and assisting a less abled visitor to get to the station. On the way he talked about what it was like to work there.. we should be so lucky to have such a relaxed friendly supportive work environment as he described.

I have been fortunate enough to meet Brain Chambers and have a conversation with him. Backers who do meet him absolutely love him, not just because he's so laid back with amazing flowing locks, but because he is the most knowledgeable gaming nerd you could ever meet. If it's Sci-Fi or gaming he knows about it. He constantly apologises that he can't share more information, "Aw man I wish I could tell you!" - so the backers ask him.. is it going to be good? You take one look at his face when he talks about how amazing Squadron 42 is going to be and you know.. if this guy thinks it's THAT amazing.. then we are going to be completely blown away. This guy who has rattled on for ages about the details of other games and movies etc.. suddenly looks like he's lost for words to describe how amazing he thinks Squadron 42 is going to be. That's why they love talking to him... it's infectious.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

quote:

This guy who has rattled on for ages about the details of other games and movies etc.. suddenly looks like he's lost for words to describe how amazing he thinks Squadron 42 is going to be.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Oh man, I wish I could tell you about sq404, but there isn't anything worth telling :(

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

ErrEff posted:

When will CIG upgrade from JPEG to PNG?

Right after the cutover to binary xml 2.0.

stingtwo
Nov 16, 2012

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

So they didn't release the video because it would have mostly been just devs sitting around talking? Isn't that what most of their videos are nowadays?

Well, I'm off to enjoy the 100's of hours of awesome Star Citizen gameplay!

That has been what most of their videos have been for the past 9 years

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Bootcha posted:

The Road to Roadmap.

:lol:

You can almost hear the flames raging while reading that non-update.

This is fine.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
That update is like what some idiot comes up with 5 minutes before meeting shareholders to explain why they are behind schedule.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
"Editing video takes a long time." Says the man who does literally nothing else during the day when he isn't Baghdad Bob'ing for Backers.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

"Editing video takes a long time." Says the man who does literally nothing else during the day when he isn't Baghdad Bob'ing for Backers.

Well to the the Hobo's credit, he isn't lying like Baghdad Bob. There literally is nothing to see here.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

@Zyloh-CIG - Today at 10:49 am posted:

I can confidently tell you, 100%, no one reacted because of an article - that's never a reason to scramble and it's not where we place value - I outlined why we hadn't repeated our message recently in my post above.

Mirificus fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jul 29, 2020

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Popete posted:

But coming soon in the ~immediate future~ they'll release a roadmap to the roadmap! You can definitely count on them to follow through on this just like the last dozen SQ42 updates they promised.

:thunkher:

That's nice. So long as they put everything on the roadmap and it's actually what they're working on instead of an artists interpretation of what a roadmap might could look like.

But if they spend years making a roadmap and then deploy another Theater of War thing out of nowhere... there's no point in a roadmap. You're just going bonkers and have no idea what your compulsive actually doing which means ultimately nothing will get done that people want.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

These look like burritos.

This is probably exactly how Covid started.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/cig-keep-your-ludicrous-roadmap-to-a-roadmap-where/3262589

Who cares about Squadron 42 when you can enjoy Roadmaps(the game)

Thuorn
Jul 18, 2020

It isnt much, but this turd was mine.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/cig-keep-your-ludicrous-roadmap-to-a-roadmap-where/3263173

At least a good chunk of the backers didnt take kindly to the Non-update Update. It puts a smile of my miserable shriveled heart.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

colonelwest posted:

Lol they really brought out all of the classics.

Sick/absent employees, bad recordings, “we’re exploring options to possibly plan a new roadmap format that will blow you away!”, passive aggressively calling the backers entitled whiners, focusing on pointless minutae (conversation interruption system lol) instead of answering the big questions like “why is SQ42 5 years late and about to blow its latest deadline?”, and of course not even giving a release date for the 2 month delayed update video on the 5 year delayed game.

SQ42 wasn't released 5 years ago because it wasn't up to their quality standards.

Now the new SQ42 video is delayed because.. it wasn't up to their quality standards.

History repeats itself, but backers never learn.

In a way, if I didn't know that CIG was dead serious, I'd think the company is trolling their fanbase.

But what completely blows my mind is that they restarted SQ42 because it WASN'T UP TO THEIR QUALITY STANDARDS. You know, the same quality standards that allowed the PU to have sinking ground, glitchy anims, crashes, unstable physics / networking, bartenders that go on strike and NPCs sitting on tables ? Those standards... ?

Nellistos
Mar 2, 2013
next citizencon will be VR enabled due to covid issues featuring chris and sandi vr "personas".

i vaguely remember the history that included doxing among other things,
but for some reason it doesnt feel right that Mr. Derek is banned ( is he? )
and not e.l.e.-posting goonboosting here instead.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dieOPDKcNM

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah, when was the last time? Let's ask SC fans.

oh

Wait are you telling me that CIG dumped boring, rudimentary and broken content into the PU, promised it was just tier 0 and would all be drastically improved someday, then completely forgot about it?! :ohdear:

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Nyast posted:

SQ42 wasn't released 5 years ago because it wasn't up to their quality standards.

Now the new SQ42 video is delayed because.. it wasn't up to their quality standards.

History repeats itself, but backers never learn.

In a way, if I didn't know that CIG was dead serious, I'd think the company is trolling their fanbase.

But what completely blows my mind is that they restarted SQ42 because it WASN'T UP TO THEIR QUALITY STANDARDS. You know, the same quality standards that allowed the PU to have sinking ground, glitchy anims, crashes, unstable physics / networking, bartenders that go on strike and NPCs sitting on tables ? Those standards... ?

I love the "its not up to are quality standards" excuse because it frames their dogshit programming, development, management, etc... as a virtue, not as being too terrible at making games to make any real progress.

Nellistos
Mar 2, 2013
also imho this is not another failed scammy kickstarter that will end up on life support while everyone bails out.

is THE kickstart scam that every "journo" that hadn't the balls to report on it for years
will tear it down and beat it as the dead horse it will be as soon as the fans "approve" it.
they wil make it an example with 'extras' ( documentary, books, etc..).

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Nellistos posted:

also imho this is not another failed scammy kickstarter that will end up on life support while everyone bails out.

is THE kickstart scam that every "journo" that hadn't the balls to report on it for years
will tear it down and beat it as the dead horse it will be as soon as the fans "approve" it.
they wil make it an example with 'extras' ( documentary, books, etc..).

This will happen. It's hilarious to me in hindsight that Daikatana and DNF were ever lambasted like they were, now that we have true failure and ineptitude to compare them to. Those games released and they worked, although they were not good. This monstrosity is a joke from stem to stern. CIG is indistinguishable from an elaborate Truman's Show style "game development studio" - there's only enough work put into SC to have people be able to download, launch, and see some bad JPEGs before crashing. It's on my monitor so it's "real!"

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
So what are the odds that they are now operating completely headless (as in Crobbler is a no-show) and pulled an update out of their rear end to just point to it and say "see, we still provide updates"?

Nellistos
Mar 2, 2013
if the "road to roadmap map" counts then it has already happened.
i think the next 2 weeks will be very interesting.

edit: a July Blog 2.0 and everything comes full circle

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
roadmap to a roadmap how can we even attempt to satirize this now

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

What's even funnier is that they are probably in a roadmap meeting on how they want to put together and launch the roadmap to a roadmap.

Nellistos
Mar 2, 2013

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

roadmap 1.0 of the roadmap 2.0 roadmap
heh

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

Thuorn posted:

It isnt much, but this turd was mine.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/cig-keep-your-ludicrous-roadmap-to-a-roadmap-where/3263173

At least a good chunk of the backers didnt take kindly to the Non-update Update. It puts a smile of my miserable shriveled heart.

You did well. Extra points for getting a dev to bite.

favourite reply...

quote:

This ^ Please don’t treat us like we are stupid.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

When they say it's "not up to standard" it's probably Crobber getting them to redo it over and over, isn't it?

What they can't do isn't done, and what they can do must be redone. How hellish.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Manage your expectations, the roadmap to a roadmap will be Tier-0.

Thuorn
Jul 18, 2020

Dooguk posted:

You did well. Extra points for getting a dev to bite.

favourite reply...

Thank you Dooguk. I was surprised Zyloh responded to my lazy shitpost, but it did lead to an interesting observation. The moment his response hit my feed I clicked it. Not even 3 seconds from his posting, buddy ALREADY had over 30 updoots. Meaning that they internally pre-updoot(or auto updoot) their own comments for visibility. heh

Thuorn fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 29, 2020

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

quote:

I can agree with that, weeks of people complaining that there is no communication, claiming that even if it's just a confirmation that nothing changed they would be happy for that, but the minute it happens, people are just nasty and angry, calling them god knows what.
In any social interaction people will mirror you, if you're nice and open to them, they are nice and open to you. Here people are always complaining, attacking and whining, so... surprise surprise... the communication got worse.

There is a place and time for everything. CIG could have handled this much better but they didn't, but that doesn't mean we have to bring up everything past 8 years for them to answer for.

quote:

Thank you so much for this amazing message. This means a lot. Ignore the whiners, they'll never stop and you can't please them. They're entitled children.

quote:

I appreciate transparency like this, regardless of how long it took.

And I also hope CIG takes crybaby raging comments and insults with a grain of salt. I think I'm more ashamed of the crap people say around here, I feel like I'm around a bunch of pre-pubescent 14 year olds. God drat.

Keep up the great work CIG!

quote:

Thank you for the update Zyloh

Wouldn't be too hard on yourselves to be honest. This is a stage of development where it'd hard to share anything. Personally I even avoid anything about SQ42 to make sure the entire experience will be new from front to end. That includes the SQ42 roadmap and shows about SQ42 with (maybe) spoilers which might be weak in revealing anything, however still too much for how much I personally want to know before release.

I've been patient since 2012 and that little bit of extra does not matter anymore. I'll see it when it comes.

quote:

Your work and efforts are appreciated CIG. The demands from this thread are hilarious, a bunch of fuckin whinners. You choose to back the game, now sit back, shut up and let them roll it out when they can or sell your ships and gently caress off. I'd bet my entire fleet every single one of you will take it how you're given it and buy n play this game or continue to support it. If not why the gently caress are you here, go away.

quote:

Proof that no matter what CIG says, people just want to be mad lol. This post reads (and rightfully so) like a passive-aggressive email: "PER OUR MONTHLY UPDATES..." "PER THE UPDATE ON THE SQ42 VIDEO DELAYS LOCATED HERE, HERE, AND HERE..."

This loud minority don't even play, not just SQ42, but probably anything, not with the time and effort they spend waving pitchforks and torches. "Why are they wasting time with core tech and not repair/salvage?" says the people wasting their time with trolling CAD question threads, spamming Reddit and Spectrum and Facebook over a video delay that may or may not show EXACTLY what has been popping up weekly in our emails. So much for functioning adults, these guys are embarrassing. I truly hope CIG realizes it's not all backers.

quote:

First, I'd like to say thank you to @Zyloh-CIG for responding to us.

Then, i'd like to tell a story that no one will read.

Back in 2012 to early 2014 Star Citizen certainly wasn't the juggernaut it is now. We had Dev communication in RSI Chat and livestreams as well. It was not production quality or sizzle of any kind. The majority of backers are just interested in the Game, the Process, and the Devs.

But then it all came crashing down. A small minority of very vocal backers demanded more, a swath of Redditors who know nothing about the game turned SC into a meme, and the internet kept hearing two sides of a story. One side was Star Citizen is this amazing and enormously scoped behemoth with a crazy amount of money - and the other side - Star Citizen is a scam. CIG went into PR mode and stopped the small shows, stopped leaks, and delayed patches due to media picking up on how "alpha" the alpha was. Now everything was a secret and a surprise.

We get it. PR is a big deal. The big reveals and releases result in big money being dropped on the game. The game looking and performing (well enough) is paramount to your business model.

Despite that, the majority of us in the community still would like to see the rough stuff, want to hear CIG and its Devs DISCUSS gameplay features and their IDEAS for it. It's us - the MAJORITY - that are bringing our friends and co workers into this game. Not the ones thumbing down and and responding to every social media with "WENS THE GAME RELEASE!! SUCH SCAM! SUCH STUPID!".

So please understand the majority of us are here because we either believe in the project or want to believe it. We want to see where the game is going and where you think it might be going. We sit through the statements in the videos of "This is not to say this is happening" over and over. We just want to continue the dream.

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009
I mean to be fair, it's probably hard to make a roadmap of SQ42 that doesn't make it look like a steaming pile of poo poo that will never come out. So the road to roadmap probably does require months of work finessing the facts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thuorn
Jul 18, 2020

Spatial posted:

When they say it's "not up to standard" it's probably Crobber getting them to redo it over and over, isn't it?

What they can't do isn't done, and what they can do must be redone. How hellish.

Im thinking its the PR/Markjeting team that is doing that. CR is busy rewriting all the code using his super coder skills.