Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

skeletors_condom posted:

So are all companies in the UK (including private limited) beyond a certain size required to file reports?

I never understood why CIG UK even had to file reports if they are a private company.

All UK companies have to file some things. The smallest private companies just have to file abridged/abbreviated accounts. These are just a simple balance sheet with a few notes, so you can look those up for any UK company. Once you exceed 2 out of 3 thresholds based on employee numbers, annual turnover, total asset value you have to have your accounts independently audited and have to be filed in full. Some companies will file more than the statutory minimum requirement for various reasons. CIG accounts tend to miss certain items I believe should be included but eh.

Additionally all companies have to keep up to date filings for your statutory records eg, shareholders, directors etc.

shrach fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

shrach posted:

Accounting profit is different to cash flow, it should reflect a true trading position accounting for timing differences.

However, in this case we have no idea if the dollar amounts that are transferred to the UK are a true reflection of the share of global ship sales/subscriptions or not. So since revenue is really just a reflection of how much money was transferred to the UK in order to pay bills as they become due, you cannot really say much about the UK trading position or profits as a whole.

Accounting ahead:
What happens is something like this. You're in the UK and you spend £20m out of your bank to run a business. You get your funds from the USA of dollars transferred and converted to £20m and that's it. Then 10 months after the year end your accountant goes through and prepares the accounts. Say you spent £1m on fixed assets, well that comes out of the profit and loss account and is replaced with a depreciation charge. Now your company has made a profit of £800k. Next your accountant says since you spent £20m of qualifying expenditure, you can get a tax credit of £4m. Now your company made a profit of £4.8m. And so on. So now your accounts will show, you made a profit of £4.8m and you have nothing in the bank, but you do have these assets on your balance sheet worth £4.8m that match your profits. While I have used rounded figures, this is literally what happened at CIG and lead to them restating earlier figures.

Because the amounts transferred from the US to the UK are just a balancing figure to pay bills as they become due, the difference between accounting income and accounting expenditure does not mean much when taken in isolation.

Gotta love transparency folks.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

skeletors_condom posted:

So are all companies in the UK (including private limited) beyond a certain size required to file reports?

I never understood why CIG UK even had to file reports if they are a private company.

Every "registered" company.

https://informi.co.uk/business-administration/filing-your-annual-return-companies-house

shrach posted:

All UK companies have to file some things. The smallest private companies just have to file abridged/abbreviated accounts. These are just a simple balance sheet with a few notes, so you can look those up for any UK company. Once you exceed 2 out of 3 thresholds based on employee numbers, annual turnover, total asset value you have to have your accounts independently audited and have to be filed in full. Some companies will file more than the statutory minimum requirement for various reasons. CIG accounts tend to miss certain items I believe should be included but eh.

Additionally all companies have to keep up to date filings for your statutory records eg, shareholders, directors etc.

This, basically.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Inacio posted:

made the mistake of trying out star citizen to see how far along it was (not very) and after being frustrated with how long it takes going from one place to the other (like 40 minutes unless you're a Big Bucks Spender with a big, fast ship) i had the even worse idea to share my frustrations in chat. people got really pissed off.
this sucks it's really not fun but apparently it's not meant to be "fun"?

I think Freelancer had a good scale for traveling around - I think it'd usually take an hour to get from one side of the galaxy to the other which felt like you'd gone a long long way but you'd also actually gone past a lot of stuff instead of SC's deep space of nothing. SC's travel is absurd.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Thom12255 posted:

I think Freelancer had a good scale for traveling around - I think it'd usually take an hour to get from one side of the galaxy to the other which felt like you'd gone a long long way but you'd also actually gone past a lot of stuff instead of SC's deep space of nothing. SC's travel is absurd.

it's even aggravated by their design decisions - bigger ships (where you can, you know, at least get up and do something with other people to reduce some of the boredom) go faster. why? what the gently caress is the point? is it just to appease the whales who spent more money?
it serves absolutely no point in the game. it's just a loading screen - except it's not even loading anything.
i'm honestly just shocked right now. those guys in chat were actually loving defending this. how? for what purpose? is it just an advanced form of stockholm syndrome?

i wasn't even hating the game so much until now (despite other things such as being unable to do most missions because i have The Wrong Ship - should've spent a few thousands on the game, loser!)

e: Your inconvenience is my immersion

marumaru fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 3, 2019

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

:reddit: posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800238&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3804

no. this group needs to go.

mods dont care.

there are literally hundreds upon hundreds of pages from the starcitizen_refunds group proving hate and harassment.

hundreds upon hundreds proving moderation is at gross negligence.

65XX pages and counting and more on other form pages. proving this is a problem.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

shrach posted:

This is actually a very good system. I wish this was a requirement for all companies all around the world. All end owners should be publicly known.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Inacio posted:

it's even aggravated by their design decisions - bigger ships (where you can, you know, at least get up and do something with other people to reduce some of the boredom) go faster. why? what the gently caress is the point? is it just to appease the whales who spent more money?
it serves absolutely no point in the game. it's just a loading screen - except it's not even loading anything.
i'm honestly just shocked right now. those guys in chat were actually loving defending this. how? for what purpose? is it just an advanced form of stockholm syndrome?

i wasn't even hating the game so much until now (despite other things such as being unable to do most missions because i have The Wrong Ship - should've spent a few thousands on the game, loser!)

e: Your inconvenience is my immersion

There's an argument to be made. Fast travel does have an impact on how big a gamespace feels. Time-distance adds significance to geography, to placement of assets, and so on and so forth.

But CiG's approach is just insane. The majority of SC community is apparently all in on big ones go faster for no god drat reason other than maybe it makes their dicks hard for their big ships to be better than everyone else. The times to get to anything useful and therefore accomplish anything in game are totally bonkers. You can't even go make some tea while in quantum space because of interdictions and random equipment failures.

The notion that small ships should just be sticking to one planet for their game-space is asinine in a game that wasn't even going to have planets as anything but a single landing zone. Flying in Quantum doesn't even look fun. It coulda been though.... *waves at Infinity Battlespace*

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Oct 3, 2019

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?
looking up SC videos and poo poo, theres a creepy corporate/capitalist worshipping vibe to the whole thing. i dont just mean the jpeg buying aspect, but the ***LORE***; like the car advertisements and the preoccupation with "luxury", consumerism and status.

the theme of corporate dystopia has been used a lot in sci-fi but in SC it seems to be completely in-earnest (and utterly naive) which is actually kind of fitting for a game funded on predatory salesmanship. the unification of these ludo- and meta- narratives is very impressive.

in summary chris martin is a genius

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?
the corporate entities (HURRston dynamics, Repetitive Strain Injury etc.) become characters in-and-of themselves, and are omni-present around the 'verse (universe). the overarching corporate power structure is 100% taken for granted by the player and the whole setting seems to embrace and promote it. its a universe without culture, with entire planets carpeted in 40 story used car dealerships and fascist iconography.

the most terrifying part is that this apparently represents utopia for large amounts of pudgy middle-aged men

zebedy fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Oct 3, 2019

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Heh they missed the other 7 6000+ ones along with our ultra secret op sec pages!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Especially since this corporate society gave rise to a tyrannical empire and was also apparently instrumental in ending it. Although it's still an empire. Don't question it.

the 'star citizens' (players) are explicitly the wealth creators of human society, the top 0.1% that are smart enough, suave enough, and rich enough to make their own way and are beholden to noone.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

monkeytek posted:

Here is the big mind blower for commandos everywhere. What state would CIG be in right now if they did not receive the influx of cash from the Calders.

In the same place, but there would be a really a really big loving concept ship around.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

There's an argument to be made. Fast travel does have an impact on how big a gamespace feels. Time-distance adds significance to geography, to placement of assets, and so on and so forth.

But CiG's approach is just insane. The majority of SC community is apparently all in on big ones go faster for no god drat reason other than maybe it makes their dicks hard for their big ships to be better than everyone else. The times to get to anything useful and therefore accomplish anything in game are totally bonkers. You can't even go make some tea while in quantum space because of interdictions and random equipment failures.

The notion that small ships should just be sticking to one planet for their game-space is asinine in a game that wasn't even going to have planets as anything but a single landing zone. Flying in Quantum doesn't even look fun. It coulda been though.... *waves at Infinity Battlespace*

i'm certainly not arguing for quantum teleportation or anything - elite has taught me that repetitive jump animations are not a bad thing and some games would be worse without them. what blows my mind is exactly what you mentioned - just how long it takes, how you cant even let it run and go take a poo poo or something and how the whales get catered to because expensive ships going faster makes their tiny dead-bedroom-unused dicks hidden under their oversized stomachs hard.

i think what really set me off on this crazy tirade was how the ingame idiots actually defended it. "it's not meant to be fun" and "this isn't space invaders". this could actually be a good game but it's not just that roberts is poo poo at game design, it's that their users actually enable him.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tsed posted:

For all the mess that this is, it sounds pretty similar to avoiding a drag/stop bubble in EVE.

Ironic, no?

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?
of the near endless possible futures of humanity, chrisberts chooses the one featuring the Citadel from HL2, operated by Bear Stearns. all thats missing are some PBR anti-homeless bench bars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqXBO72WQ2c&t=1293s

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

zebedy posted:

of the near endless possible futures of humanity, chrisberts chooses the one featuring the Citadel from HL2, operated by Bear Stearns. all thats missing are some PBR anti-homeless bench bars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqXBO72WQ2c&t=1293s

Star Citizen: Is that supposed to be a SEAT?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

shrach posted:

Accounting profit is different to cash flow, it should reflect a true trading position accounting for timing differences.

However, in this case we have no idea if the dollar amounts that are transferred to the UK are a true reflection of the share of global ship sales/subscriptions or not. So since revenue is really just a reflection of how much money was transferred to the UK in order to pay bills as they become due, you cannot really say much about the UK trading position or profits as a whole.

Accounting ahead:
What happens is something like this. You're in the UK and you spend £20m out of your bank to run a business. You get your funds from the USA of dollars transferred and converted to £20m and that's it. Then 10 months after the year end your accountant goes through and prepares the accounts. Say you spent £1m on fixed assets, well that comes out of the profit and loss account and is replaced with a depreciation charge. Now your company has made a profit of £800k. Next your accountant says since you spent £20m of qualifying expenditure, you can get a tax credit of £4m. Now your company made a profit of £4.8m. And so on. So now your accounts will show, you made a profit of £4.8m and you have nothing in the bank, but you do have these assets on your balance sheet worth £4.8m that match your profits. While I have used rounded figures, this is literally what happened at CIG and lead to them restating earlier figures.

Because the amounts transferred from the US to the UK are just a balancing figure to pay bills as they become due, the difference between accounting income and accounting expenditure does not mean much when taken in isolation.

No, you dolt, speak business!

I'm like

UH?

In here.

It was actually pretty clear, thanks

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Honestly why don't these guys just play Freelancer. There are some good mods now. And the vanilla game is fun! You fly around trading goods between planets and star bases. There are raiders, faction fights and randomly generated mission contracts. It's pretty endless. Although its mostly played on the same orientation plane the combat still feels dynamic and flows freely. Why don't they just play Freelancer?! There is also Chris Robert's Starlancer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIKIhYK5yMk&t=181s which looks fun too.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

zebedy posted:

the corporate entities (HURRston dynamics, Repetitive Strain Injury etc.) become characters in-and-of themselves, and are omni-present around the 'verse (universe). the overarching corporate power structure is 100% taken for granted by the player and the whole setting seems to embrace and promote it. its a universe without culture, with entire planets carpeted in 40 story used car dealerships and fascist iconography.

the most terrifying part is that this apparently represents utopia for large amounts of pudgy middle-aged men

I believe CIG even marketed ship owners as being part of the "1%."

Lampsacus posted:

Honestly why don't these guys just play Freelancer. There are some good mods now. And the vanilla game is fun! You fly around trading goods between planets and star bases. There are raiders, faction fights and randomly generated mission contracts. It's pretty endless. Although its mostly played on the same orientation plane the combat still feels dynamic and flows freely. Why don't they just play Freelancer?! There is also Chris Robert's Starlancer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIKIhYK5yMk&t=181s which looks fun too.

And with modded freelancer they can't sit on reddit and dream about being future space billionaires.

skeletors_condom fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Oct 3, 2019

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lampsacus posted:

They don't actually play video games. They like to dream and spend money on the dream, that's the actual game.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Let's compare and contrast, shall we?

Elite: Dangerous has two modes of fast travel:
1. Super Cruise
2. Hyperspace Jump

Super Cruise is the same across all the ships: You accelerate at the same rate and decelerate at the same rate, based on a bunch of factors. An Anaconda set to 75% throttle and a Sidewinder set to 75% throttle will get from entry to Hutton at the roughly the same time (the Sidey will win by virtue of aligning it's vector quicker, but that's besides the point). It's intrasystem only.

Hyperspace Jumps are between star systems. There's no way to go from Sol to Alpha Centauri without doing so (your ship gets blown up if you try). The distance depends on two major factors: your FSD rating and your mass. Each ship has a Frame Shift Drive, which can be upgraded in both rating and engineering to increase the range. You can then strip down the rest of the ship to min/max your range. Some ships, like dedicated haulers, have a pitiful range when hauling goods, others, like dedicated exploration ships, can go 60+ light years in a single jump. Including small ships.

Eve Online has four methods of FTL travel:
1. Warp
2. Gates
3. Jump Drives
4. Wormholes

Like Elite, #1 is analogous to super cruise: it's intrasystem only. However, you can only go from your start point to a point that's either a landmark or a bookmark; you can't warp to random point in space without having a bookmark there. Smaller ships warp faster, though you can use fleet warps to force the smaller ships to warp with the rest of the fleet. Interceptors have the fastest warp speed, allowing them to get in ahead of their buddies and prevent the target from warping off.

#2 and #3 are intersystem methods of travel. Gates are a system to system device, meaning gate A always goes to the same system. Always. #3 allows you to jump to any place a cyno beacon is lit, provided the target beacon is lit by someone in your fleet and you're in range. Only capital ships, jump freighters, and black ops battleships have jump drives. Titans and black ops can also create jump portals, with Titans for all sub-capital ships, and black ops for anything capable of fitting a covert cloak.

#4 is a weird duck, as wormholes, while open, function similar to gates (a given wormhole, until it despawns, will always lead to the same systems), but they have a limited lifespan in both time and mass allowed through.

Star Citizen:
1. Quantum Travel.

We don't have intersystem travel yet (I think), so QT is the only one here. It functions very similar to Eve's warp, but you can only warp to major landmarks, and once there, or close enough, a minor landmark.

Oh and bigger, more expensive ships are somehow faster.

iospace fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 3, 2019

marumaru
May 20, 2013

iospace posted:

We don't have intersystem travel yet (I think), so QT is the only one here. It functions very similar to Eve's warp, but you can only warp to major landmarks, and once there, or close enough, a minor landmark.

are you excited for leaving your computer on and running star citizen for multiple days nonstop so you can visit different star systems?

iospace posted:

Oh and bigger, more expensive ships are somehow faster.

the power of capitalism!

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

TheEradictor and a guest who watched the first 10 minutes of the latest Sunk Cost Galaxy offer their informed rebuttal.

...aaaaand it’s a a 22 minute, full throated defense of nepotism. The host doesn’t seem to realize that the reason Chris and Sandi’s origin story is included is to demonstrate how ridden with contradictions and lies it is. Which begs questions about their credibility as leaders of “the most open and transparent company in gaming.”

It’s too bad they ignored the latter 50 minutes. It would’ve been interesting to hear whether TheEradicator was troubled even once by later points made.

I'm watching this now. Live reactions.

So aside from the "I didn't watch more than 10 minutes" guest, this little bit here, lit my eyebrows on fire...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrMoQFX4xRw&t=500s

quote:

Let's imagine you are Chris, in the mid 2000's for awhile. You're a little bit... I'm not trying to attack Chris or whatever, I'm just giving... trying to give facts here. Imagine you are Chris in the mid 2000's. You're a little bit chubby, you're not very attractive, you're quite awkward: That's Chris, you know! And there's this attractive young lady who would do anything to make it including getting in your bed WHAT WOULD YOU DO OF COURSE... you would take that chance, that's how we guys are. Especially if your career is declining and things are not doing so well, as we comprehensively explained in a series. Chris must have thought this was a godsend gift. And as far as Sandi... as she goes she must have thought that he could have helped her in her career, and bring her some financial stability, and the means to found a family. Because you know this is a um... this is a given guy. This is what women want by instinct, men want attractive mates for...

:psyboom:

Like, way to justify one of the scummiest practices in Hollywood.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
The way that's phrased on the internet makes me think of a Trump speech.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Wasnt the majority of the CIG dev staff nowadays based in the UK?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Bootcha posted:

So aside from the "I didn't watch more than 10 minutes" guest, this little bit here, lit my eyebrows on fire...

Christ, that's just pitiful.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

zebedy posted:

These companies are kinda like anime waifus for brand worshipers. Since they will never exist they can never disappoint their libertarian computerman demographic.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Wow, that one got reported direct to the reddit admins. That is permaban worthy.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

That's some loving insane poo poo.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bootcha posted:

I... can't believe he came out with that. Surprised he just didn't say a woman's place is in the kitchen.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Bootcha posted:

It’s like he just refuted the entire one hour chapter in only 30 seconds!

:lol:

Kidding aside, I think his only decent point in that near factless retort was that Star Citizen might not have ever happened had not Sandi threatened to kick Chris to the curb. However, he learned that from watching earlier SCG videos in the first place. It’s not like CIG canon, it’s heresy Goons zeroed in on from obscure, forgotten podcast interviews with her...

Hopefully someone else will mount a more vigorous defense of m’lady in good time. Maybe Batgirl, or Montoya, or (date we dream) Erris will rise to the challenge.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

skeletors_condom posted:

That's some loving insane poo poo.

Yeah, the funny thing is how it kicked off. He basically said i should go back to the the sub of that dying game (meaning ED i presume), but i shot back with a joke comment about Save the World (Fortnite) not dying and how people just don't understand game development and how Epic can take all the time they need to get it right and how its EARLY ACCESS! (i'm a bit of a fan of Save the World, not to be confused with is younger but more popular sibling Battle Royale).

That is literally what caused him to explode.

Amazing.

EDIT: Post removed and comment chain looks like it was removed as well. No idea if the guy copped a ban for the comment.

EDIT: Nope, it was just burried, its still there and got 5 upvotes.

Stay classy /r/sc! Keep upvoting those people threatening violence. Makes you look like a really wholesome sub!

Agony Aunt fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 3, 2019

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

shrach posted:

Accounting ahead:

Thanks.

You could have just called me a dumb gently caress and told me i wasn't going to understand it and saved us both time :D

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Inacio posted:

it's even aggravated by their design decisions - bigger ships (where you can, you know, at least get up and do something with other people to reduce some of the boredom) go faster. why? what the gently caress is the point?

Bigger ships that can warp faster cost more money.
The whole scam is built to get you in the door promising "all you need is a $45 starter ship" and then milk you for all they can.

Want to try mining? That'll be $150 for the mining ship.

Want to not spend 20 minutes staring at the HUD? That'll be $600+ for one of the big ships.

It doesn't even have to happen that quick... Pretty soon you'll realise that mustang or aurora is complete poo poo, and you'll think "well hey, an avenger is just a little more..." and by the time you realise the avenger is poo poo as well you're already thinking "well it's just a bit more to upgrade to a cutlass..." and pretty soon you've spent a ridiculous amount of money on a buggy crytek mod and you're white-knighting on Reddit trying desperately to justify what you've done.

I'm looking directly at you Vertice...

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

It doesn't even have to happen that quick... Pretty soon you'll realise that mustang or aurora is complete poo poo, and you'll think "well hey, an avenger is just a little more..." and by the time you realise the avenger is poo poo as well you're already thinking "well it's just a bit more to upgrade to a cutlass..." and pretty soon you've spent a ridiculous amount of money on a buggy crytek mod and you're white-knighting on Reddit trying desperately to justify what you've done.

This is also how their sales work. Originally they had a huge gap- their biggest actual-for-real ship was like 250 bucks, and then they leapt up to the thousand dollar insane frigates. They've been slowly filling that in-between space with options ever since, trying to encourage people to continuously upgrade. Every military ship they introduce is just a little better than the one before it, and only like ~50 bucks more expensive. Oh, you liked the bomber? Why not get the torpedo ship. Like that? Well now there's a corvette.

The problem is you do this for seven years and you're at the point of selling 700+ dollar ships. The guys on the permanent upgrade cycle are still buying in because it's like 50 bucks to them, but everyone outside looks at you like you're insane. At some point they had the genius idea to charge more from the old-money people as well which is how you got the warbonds.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

zebedy posted:

yeah the line.between gamestore/game/metagame/in-game advertisement/advertisement etc. is so blurry with sc. remember that the last citcon was “sponsored“ by a fictional in-game manufacturer. this is all completely nuts and insane.

i think that this complete clusterfuck off lore/vision/fiction and reality is exactly what the cultists crave. there are definetly different types of “gamers“ out there. i love “run and gun“ games, pure simple fun. i give a rat's rear end about story, levelling up my character or collecting trophies/loot/etc. but that's what most gamers really enjoy.

the star citizen breed may get kicks out of hitting that “purchase“ button while feeling important and like a distinguished member of an exclusive private club.

thats my 2 cents, good night all you fud spreading devils.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Agony Aunt posted:

Thanks.

You could have just called me a dumb gently caress and told me i wasn't going to understand it and saved us both time :D

I can sense an avatar text change incoming!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?

Bumble He posted:

i think that this complete clusterfuck off lore/vision/fiction and reality is exactly what the cultists crave. there are definetly different types of “gamers“ out there. i love “run and gun“ games, pure simple fun. i give a rat's rear end about story, levelling up my character or collecting trophies/loot/etc. but that's what most gamers really enjoy.
I actually like a lot of lore/world building nerd poo poo, which makes SC all the more interesting. obviously it is juvenile and derivative, but the psychology behind it is fascinating - out of everything they could have come up with, what defines their escapist fantasy? militarism, consumerism and corporatism. hierarchy and domination. it even seeps out to how the game is marketed and how the shitizens relate to each other.

to me the iconography in that youtube video i posted signals "dystopia". its creepy and authoritarian. but as far i can tell its played totally straight? i dont think christmas roberts is making a point about the dangers of corporatism run amok, probably the opposite (unconsciously, because hes a hack). similar imagery was used in Star Wars - one of his """""""""inspirations""""""""" - but for the BAD GUYS.

ok ill stop posting weird poo poo now

zebedy fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 3, 2019