Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Yeah, item level was in WoW from day one, but it took until Wrath of the Lich King for the modding community to come up with Gearscore, a nerd superiority tool as detailed above. WotLK came out in 2008.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

monkeytek posted:

as a senior manager of a public company if I ever caught a junior developer describing their goals for what the company will do in a product, while using their company issued account on a company website I'd fire their rear end.

This guy will get promoted though? He’s obviously a proto Christ Robots, asspulling dreams and weaving impossibilities into them, until literally no one can tell if what he’s saying is a real achievable aim of the company; or one of the trillion things like cocktail making or wormhole discovering that got randomly mentioned in an elevator to a janitors uncle once, and is now quoted as canon by the faithful.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Uh, so because other games have had 12 year developments, SC needs to be in development for 24 years in total? This means that if SC had started development at the same time as Privateer 2 it would be releasing right now.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Hav posted:

They didn't even have the courage to go with Japanese aesthetic that's based around living in extremely tight spaces. No, they nicked the view.

But in true SC fashion they made it look worse than something done by hand by one guy twenty five years ago.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
They're basically incels but replace "women" with "Star Citizen” needs to be the thread title.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

G0RF posted:

It’s true — I’m sure Chris will be buoyed by massive sales for FFVII: Part I and draw parallels. “Much like my vision for Squadron 42 — a cinematic masterpiece too grand for just one game.”

“Those sales were driven by nostalgia for a former classic just as Squadron will be!”

It’s going to be even more meta: SC is going to be the development they did along the way. When the actual game releases in twenty years time, it’ll be a sequel to itself. Star Citizen 2: This Time, It’s Playable!

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Quavers posted:

BigFryTV: "This Co-op Space game is MORE FUN than Star Citizen LOL

The list of things less fun than SC is pretty short. Marburg, testicular torsion, degloving, and food from Subway basically.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Dooguk posted:

I'm off to watch that Father Ted episode with the Chinese people in it. "I hear you're a racist now Father" is a great line.

It’s not the Greeks, it’s the Chinese he’s after.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

The Titanic posted:

Imagine being able to make a post like this, where you've worked at a place for half of a decade, and the product they were working on when you got there still isn't released when you make this post.

Is it my imagination or when people post tweets like that they usually sound happy? No smilies, no party hat and confetti emoji, no #blessed. “I have worked at (company) for five years”. Whoop de fuckin doo.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Yes historical revisionism is rare in this saga, a truly perplexing mystery :tinfoil:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Inevitable consequence of piracy can only be days away.

Harsh consequences are something we all desire.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Didn’t Crysis have a reload animation?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

“Our doctors did everything they could, but it took them three hours… just to get the smile off his face” is in my top ten movie zingers.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

:vince:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I too have favourite bugs in a game I paid for that’s taken 600 people $300,000,00 and 8 years to develop.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

peter gabriel posted:

It's great seeing the community tear itself apart, I think this time it will continue as people seem to be going through an awakening and their brain cell is slowly coming round from it's 8 year hibernation.
I'm not sure a sandworm type reveal could stop this deluge of idiots finally saying 'wait, what?'

That entire reddit thread was almost entirely negative, just a few bleating souls talking about coming back in a year or so to see what progress has been made.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I don’t know anything about game development, but I think a lot of large game companies could make a large scale MMO in five years, then bang out a single player space ship game in three years.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

The Chad CDPR vs Cumulonimbus Incel Grifters

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Dr. Honked posted:

What's in the containers on the right of the table? Extra fat and sugar for your donuts?

I’m going with cream cheese frosting, sugar icing, and chocolate frosting.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

colonelwest posted:

(Mass Effect Andromeda)…had full procedural planets in it. But the devs rightly asked themselves what gameplay value they served over just having smaller handcrafted landing zones?

This can be applied to every single facet of SC.

Jeff Goldblum posted:

So preoccupied with whether or not they could they didn’t stop to think if they should

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

peter gabriel posted:

I'm not really sure how you can slow down a kick in the balls though to be fair to CI

unreleased Stimpire.txt posted:

It is also mandatory to endure ball-kicking in the Stimpire. Populations are forcibly strapped to tables and made to experience all the football teams in the Stimpire kicking them in the balls for months on end except for people born on the 3rd of December, who are impaled on crystal spikes and given free haircuts

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Megalobster posted:

As if this whole thing was the result of a general AI that had only been fed incel forums and amateur 3d modeling tutorial for data.

Star Citizen in three and a half lines.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

colonelwest posted:

I guess people are finally getting fed up with all of the failed sleazy projects and Kickstarter’s complete lack of accountability.

That and literally no one on Earth has spare money to throw at frivolous poo poo now, and in the short to medium term.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Cows and being locked in a cave sure sounds like a space game to me.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

MarcusSA posted:

I love dogs.

Cats are ok but dogs love you more.

Cats just tolerate you and your bullshit.

I have a shiba inu, the best of both worlds.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
That excuse would be valid if there were multiple (or even one) loops that worked fine, and this was an outlier. Every single aspect of the whole enterprise has multiple issues on every level though, as if every project was utterly incomprehensible bullshit until the last button press made it all magically work.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Like if you were building a car and you couldn’t see out of the windows until the exhaust had been fitted or something.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Is there even some novel fuckery going on if the first and third person views of each individual commando aren’t the same? I think the ‘Silent Hill Stretchy Commando Horror’ only appears that way to observers, right?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
The OP link to the ‘Big MOMA’S house’ thread seems borked, or did something happen to it?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Anticheese posted:

Wait do the prison sentences only tick down if you're logged in?

Harsh consequences are something we all desire, remember. Don’t forget, a backer once explicitly asked for rape to be added to the game. “Nothing too graphic, just a short cutscene to depict your character being sexually defiled” was his original pitch. He meant when you get boarded by pirates, but this gameplay loop could very easily be added to the prison scenario. Make the guards romancable, while we’re spitballing. The possibilities are endless!

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Yeah , they said “what can we actually do with the assets we have?” and the answer was “lock people in a featureless cave”. Some junior probably said “poo poo, that sounds like prison lol” and he got promoted to lead gameplay designer.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Xakura posted:

What if they can't fix it :ohdear: What if it just gets worse and worse, until accounts, servers, everything just stops working.

“There is another theory that says this has already happened.”

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Bofast posted:

That's a good bundle :eyepop:

Except for The Nomad Soul.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Colostomy Bag posted:

Hasn't body dragging been like 3 years in development?

Hell you can't haul a crate around reliably. I love this dumpster fire.

Body dragging has been in a very long time: my idiot friend is one of the faithful, and tried to interest me in SC when the hangar came out. Around or shortly after this he proceeded to regale my with some imaginary bullshit about how if you got shot in the legs your friend could drag you to safety while you could shoot people following you.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Brownhat posted:

Store Citizer: you should evaluate better your entertainment choices

counterpoint: Start Citizen: regular painful trimestriel deceptions

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

kilus aof posted:

It like when you were a kid and mixing paint and trying to make a real cool colour and you keep added colours until you make poo brown. So meter feeding and jail is added until they make the gameplay equivalent of poo brown.

So, some kind of poo poo event horizon. The waveform collapses after some kind of Fecal Chandrasekhar Limit?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
It’s early days, this tech could be applied by flipping a switch, a short delay is acceptable to ensure SC is the BDSSE!

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I mean, I do have a raging hate boner for SC, but it didn’t appear overnight: the whole thing is so eminently hate-able on every level it’d take a monk to resist popping a full-on robot chubby every time some terrible new bullshit occurs.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
So that’ll all be done by next week then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Sarsapariller posted:

Okay that's pretty breathtaking.

Maybe it's just that the game so rarely has 40 commandos all shooting and moving in one place, but it just looks so much more broken than usual. And the fact that it's failing in the basic attempt to replicate a game that basically everyone has experienced, even Star Citizens, makes it so much more apparent that this project is hosed. How can you compare that to Battlefield or SW: Battlefront and go "Yeah this project is in a good place."

You know how when you were a kid there were two methods of rearranging your plate to make it look like you’d eaten your veggies? The PU is the ‘spread everything around’ method, ToW is the ‘make a discrete pile’ method.

Of course, grown-ups just look at your plate and say ‘you haven’t finished your veggies’.