Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I would like to start the new thread with fond memories of my favourite Star Citizen moment: When Lowtax decided to rip the business model from SC and sell people had drawn JPGs of ships to raise money for these Dead Gay Comedy Forums. I wish I've had money back then to support the cause but maybe some of you have bought them and would like to share them again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

My favorite part is learning the game uses the Crysis engine, but in order to have outer space adventure in an engine built for a single island, everything in the engine is itty bitty, and a ton of the physics glitches are because of how tiny everything is and the engine literally not being designed to handle it.

To be honest, it's actually impressive that Cryengine can animate models at this small scale.
Sometimes.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Hm, Page 10 and no Mirficus-bot to be seen? Did we forget to redirect him? I've seen Dementropy here, but I liked having two bots... unless that kind of posting is a no-no in Games, then it's understandable. I need those cultist reactions to the "Gatsby" ripoff.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Sabreseven posted:

Caves? As prison spaces in the far future of CR's 'vision'? I think even in 2019 there are reasons why they are not used as such. :shrug:

This makes even less sense if you consider that mining is a thing and you could dig through the cave to get your friends out.

I wonder what engine is the cinematic made in and who made it. Because it doesn't look as lovely as SC does. Maybe it's the mocapped stuff? Maybe someone figured out "hey we have all that mocap data sitting here, I know it's for something different, but with a little tweaking we can repurpose it" and made the commercials with them. I wonder if the same would be true for the mining ship commercial.

E: Taxxe

Kikas fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Sep 7, 2019

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Sarsapariller posted:

Okay this is my brief summary but please understand that this may be wrong and I really don't give enough of a poo poo to correct it anymore:
* Atmospheric re-entry is entirely a particle effect that is triggered when you travel past a certain speed in-atmosphere. The speed cap was raised to the point that you rarely see it anymore.

Wasn't the cap raised because in some ship you could reach it in reverse and it would apply the re-entry particle effect when flying backwards?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Hannibal Rex posted:

Is Gary Oldman still/back in Squadron 42? I'm not up to date on the last couple of years or so, but the last I heard he got out of the project.

I'm fairly out of the loop of multi-player games other than Vermintide. Are there games that have interesting gameplay with multi-crew vehicles? Manning a turret while the pilot is flying evasive 3d maneuvers sounds miserable, but I'm curious what decent developers have come up with in this regard.

:gary: is still somewhere in Squadron 42. Where? Noone knows because noone has seen even one bit of that game for years.

Technically Space Engineers has the gameplay you're describing, but you have to build your own vehicles. Also Barotrauma to some extent, but in 2D. But it's all happening on a submarine manned and maintained only by the players.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Zushio posted:

I was actually wondering about this. Is part of the problem they are trying to find a way to make private servers impossible? It's a long shot, but with the current setup it would be absolutely vital in the long run.

I mean don't you still download the whole game, sever and client when playing? If someone skilled enough cared enough, we'd have SC Private Servers for a while now.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

rePool posted:

https://twitter.com/Jorunn_SC/status/1170447512454520832

I'm not even sure what to make of this. Why are we lining up a bunch of overpriced ships for yet another screenshot?

Not understanding the purpose aside from it being the only thing these guys can think of doing with a ship that has no role.

If this wasn't space, you could ramp them. But since this is SC, the most fun thing you could do with such a lineup is ram something into it. Maybe there's no firepower in the game to damage it, but surely there's something with enough mass.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Saladin Rising posted:

Or poo poo, just do what DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 3 et al did and put a hilarious button-mashing mini-game in the loading screen. Yeah Vegeta, do those pushups! Yeah Goku, eat those bowls of rice! Yeah Gohan, pull those swords!

Why the gently caress do I remember what all the loading screen mini-games were, I haven't played that game in years.:sweatdrop:

Namco Bandai has a patent on loading screen minigames, that's why noone else can do them.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

So if they land, that 870 owner can sell the ship that landed on it, right?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Given that I lived in a post-communist European country it's truly a wonder that my first game was Superfrog for the C64.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

No Mods No Masters posted:

I think citizens would go in the amigara fault holes, so long as they believed there would be ships inside

"This ship... it was made for me!"

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

fuctifino posted:

This thread is now in Games.

Ergo, Star Citizen is now a game.

Check mate goonies.

Nah, this thread is the game.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Quick, I'm no expert, but which one of these 4 ships is actually "flyable" in the game.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
It loving breaks me how every time CIG introduces a mechanic it's the most boring variant of the lot. They might introduce some twists to it (they won't tho) but this is something that No Mans Sky had in it's underwhelming launch in 2016. And even there it was more interesting on launch, because there was a complete (if a bit barren) game around it.

In the year 2019 there are a lot of games with mining, like:

Minecraft: The big cheese and yet the baseline of all procgen games with mining. Hit rock with fist, receive resource. For more advanced minerals - use advanced tools or get gently caress all. Not much to it. Unless you count enchanting your pickaxe to be faster, more durable or yield more minerals.
Going back to space games we have No Mans Sky - I'd say it's the closest one to SC due to being both in space and having space legs. Point at rock, receive minerals. CIG does a carbon copy of this one, since you can also blow up asteroids in space (with every one of your weapons, not just mining oriented ones) and receive resources. But unlike SC, NMS uses it's resources for a lot more then money - you need fuel for your ship, suit and weapons, you can refine, convert and combine resources, craft stuff with them, use them to build bases, ship components, rooms on your Frigate (basically your private Space Carrier, complete with your hangar and a loving FLEET you can build around it) - basically Mining is a piece of around 10 gameplay loops instead of in addition to being a loop on it's own.
But the one I've been playing a lot recently and the one I find mining the most fun is Deep Rock Galactic - a 4 player coop shooter where you're a bunch of space dwarves and go on expeditions. It features procgen caves (with varying complexity levels, shapes and sizes), 6 or 7 mission types and a lot of mining. Usually you dig through walls using your pickaxe, but you can use explosives (including strategically killing enemies that explode on death) or you can pick the "Driller" class and use akimbo mounted hand drills to carve tunnels into every wall. The resources you gather have to be offloaded to either a drone follwing you or to a specific point in the map, and finding what you need requires using both your eyes and an integrated scanning tool. The caves are dark and need to be lit with flares that bouce around and go off after a while, and full of enemies, so when you launch an expedition, there's hardly a dull moment.
So if you want some fun coop mining - get Deep Rock Galactic. It's awesome.

Don't buy into Star Citizen for goodness sake.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Also Space Engineers and probably like a dozen other games that do it better, yes.

loving hell I forgot about Space Engineers: Equip drill, look for minerals. But not with eyes, that's boring, no. Equip your ship/yourself with resource scanners, fly near asteroids/ground, have it reveal veins of minerals. On a planet? Await meteor impacts and then scan impact zones for rare space minerals. All materials are used for crafting and all are useful. But doesn't end there: bored of mining with your hands? Equip your vehicle of choice with drills, customize your drill as you like. Extremely bored? Why not pour all of your resources into building a big-rear end spaceship that's basically a flying drill the size of a double decker bus, eat asteroids whole, drill through planet cores.

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Also Elite Dangerous of course - asteroid mining for cash and materials, planetary mining (via SRV) for materials for engineering and module upgrades, and I'd argue that scanning signal sources for materials sort of constitutes mining as well.

It's a grind, of course, as I well know - I've actually just finished re-engineering my Asp X FSD drive using the "new" engineering system (material traders, no effect rolls) and finding stuff like datamined wake exceptions was a massive chore. It's still a legit gameplay loop though unlike whatever passes for mining in SC.

I avoided the comparison with ED on purpose, since it doesn't have space legs AFAIK and the video shows on-foot mining. But yeah, it does have ship mining.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
"First off, to start mining, you're gonna need a multi-tool"

Yeah it's ripping off NMS.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Quavers posted:

Hover Mode Tier 1 looking good! :toot:

https://streamable.com/s19if

I wonder if the way the ship rolls to the side on approach is related to the fact that everything is really tiny. If it's small and the engine dampening it's based off distance to the surface, it's easy to assume that it is gonna round up the distance from the planet wrong and trigger in wrong places. It seems to work as intended, just in the wrong place.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

I know, though this - at least to me, could be wrong - under the surface implies that superspace and normal space are in fact a single entity, with normal space being instances in the superspace (so you know where you can place the assets and enemies and stuff exactly).

Of course, this shouldn't surprise me - they use 64-bit precision and considering it can be unsigned (negative speed is just inverted positive vector), you can get to insane numbers, where the artificial limit of 2k Ls/s is probably "just to make sure". But still, it's something else just guesstimating it and something else seeing it actually work.

Supposed Elite - or networking and asset loading in general - made a leap forward, or some clever solution was invented, there wouldn't even be a need to separate these two spaces. Of course Star Citizen (tries to) does that and... it kinda fails.

Of course! Star Citizen can't use this smoke and mirrors bullshit, you just throw everything into one big map and... what do you mean it doesn't fit in our engine? uh okay, you throw everything into a big map and make it really small, this will work! After all, you just dump assets into a container and gameplay emerges!

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

I mean we're all beating a dead horse, does that mean we all have a "history of violence"?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

trucutru posted:

The main tech they have developed for their game is the ability to have maps inside maps on cryengine. A ship flying in port Olisar is a map (which is why you can walk inside in "artifical gravity" while the ship moves around the port, which is also a (collection of) map that is located inside a big empty space map which is located inside the main menu map (yes, that's how it works).

Credit where credit is due, it kinda works outside of you getting randomly killed when you move from one map to another via doors, ramps, or whatever.

So basically a cave has to be a big rectangular box-shaped map (as that silly "disregard the big rectangular patch of weird land outside the cave" patch note mentions) that is added to the planet map. They are not separate.

:stare: HOLY poo poo I never knew this. This changes my viewpoint of this game 180 degrees. Because developing working maps for Cryengine is loving hard. These guys are actually the most skilled producers on the market then.

This also explains so many bugs, like rockets firing in random directions, that's probably because the rocket spawns in a different map than the ship. This is mind-boggling to realize. Actual mad props to the team for optimizing this earlier this year, since having that many maps loaded at once is just... wow.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Thom12255 posted:

And Chris went with CryEngine because back at the start of the decade because it was regarded as the HIGHEST fidelity engine and didn't think much more about how easy it would be to make his game with.

No, he went with Cryengine because they've put together a demo for him in Cryengine.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Thom12255 posted:

How involved was he with that original demo?

My guess is he gave a descriptive vision of what he wanted to see and got the response in form of a .avi file.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Not gonna lie, at first glance I thought this was a new ship design.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Sarsapariller posted:

Is this a typical experience?

I mean he's absolutely right. You cannot ever expect to have a good time if you only come on once every few months. You also can't expect to have a good time if you get on every day, but you'll be having a lot more of the other kinds of times!

I will never understand the mindset of

quote:

I really, really want to love this game so I have to try again.

Why? Why this game? Are your friends playing it? Are they having fun? It's not like there's stuff to do with them except carry boxes around. Are you so hard invested you feel the game has earned your affection by how much you've spent on it? This is some real brain parasite stuff.

...speaking of playing with friends, Sarsa, do you know how did the mission rewards change in the new build? The patch notes mention that they "reworked" them, then in the next sentance they say that if you do missions with your friends, you split the cash reward between all players. My main question is - did they increase or decrease the rewards? There's ship rentals to consider now in cash balancing, so I'd expect them to cut rewards tenfold, but maybe they did the opposite of what I'd expect in typical CIG fashion.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Dementropy posted:

star-citizen-alpha-3-7-0e-ptu-3085613-patch-notes

Bug Fixes
Pacheco should be seated properly.
Players should no longer see HUR-L2 on the Starmap.
The MPUV should no longer front flip when taking off.
Targeting and missile brackets should now appear properly for all ground vehicles.
Fuel consumption and thruster heat generation should no longer occur during quantum travel when entering decoupled.
The Reliant pilot seat should no longer be missing textures.
There should no longer be a texture blocking the view in the Hurricane.
The ladder on the Buccaneer should now have collision.
Fixed incorrect exterior turret materials on the Caterpillar.
Volumetric fog should no longer pop off and on in caves.
Bodies in cave should no longer be T-posed.
Objectives should properly update and be given locations for Scramble Race missions.
There should no longer occasionally be a "team setup" window present on the main menu.

I find extremely funny that ALL of those have "should". Like :lol: even the people who put in the work are not sure if it's gonna actually work.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

trucutru posted:

Sure, you can play games in your console, but that's not the point here, isn't it? Stadia does have a user case: netflix for games. Yeah, it didn't work before but they are betting that they can reduce the latency to low enough levels for players not to care.

Except it doesn't adopt what made Netflix successful - single subscription for everything. You still have to pay for every separate game, on top of the subscription. You'll also need a controller, dunno how the 3rd party support is gonna work for that. And the games are expected to be full price.

The pricing model is what will be the nail in the coffin, not some imaginary algorithms.

I really really want a detailed explanation on why stuff like this KEEPS loving HAPPENING. Why does the leg go loving wild and bends in stupid ways instead of actually clipping though stuff?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

TheAgent posted:

hello part 2 (from someone waaaaay different)
  • "Chris wanted something never seen before and that's an Earth that is completely open to exploration."
Hold on just a minute. Isn't Space Engineers made in a way that it will always spawn in an "Earth" when placing a planet, but scaled differently? They made just one planet model but with different landing spots and scaling it always feels like a different place. But even then, that's an "Earth" completely open to exploration.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

You just can't make stuff like this up :allears:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Wait, hold on, these are the doors in ECHO!

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Which ship is the downvote button and why does reddit hate it so?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Mr.PayDay posted:

Hello from page 133, this was a very good analysis.
I want to add the layer of desperation. The desperation for a “dream game”, the desperation for hundreds and thousands of dollars/euros evolving into the BDSSE, the desperation for Derek and the Goons were wrong, the desperation to be able to play SC and SQ42 in the next 3 years on the 3000 Dollar PC they built at the end of 2016 because Chris Failberts lied again about the project.
It is the desperation to not be the idiot who backed this fiasco without a good ending.

SC is the aggregation of a group that desperately hopes they did not swallow the Blue Pill when all is said and done in the future.

Let's not forget the good old goonfear. Tales of Goon agents infiltrating other EVE Clans to dismantle, hell chaos and plunge the economy into ruin are well known even outside of EVE. Even though I don't think this happens anymore, goons invading games, be it EVE or Chinagame are a threat to the fun of these guys, but they also want to be as cool and a part of something like this. So they assume that by buying their way into power, they will attract "followers" and soon they can have their own goonswarm, but at the same time, they want to be the big bad guy "legally" so only using "honorable" tactics and the sheer power of their perfect space fantasy.

...without realizing that a lot of what big clans did was basically griefing, grinding and playing very not-fun for the 99% of the time. Hell, in EVE it was goddamn suicide attacks to prey on targets to big to shoot down. They think that by buying in, they will be able to simultanously prevent that from happening to them (spoiler: suicide attacks are really viable in the current version of Star Citizen) and be able to have enough power to avoid swooping to such "low" techniques. I find it all very funny.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Haha, holy hell, the long running and successful cop shooter/bag throwing simulator Payday 2 has resumed development after it was suspended in Dec 2018. There's new dlc and free content coming from the original devs.

The game released in 2013 and had a solid 5 years of updates, with at one point dlc coming every fortnight. This means they survived their developer going almost bankrupt and a lot of ownership changing hands.

Meanwhile Star Citizen does another Con.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Mr.PayDay posted:

No Mans Sky had some similarities to SC: hype, plain lies and the first iteration at the launch was a fiasco and unstable POS.
After like 16 content patches and some major updates over three years without additional fees and DLC , No Mans Sky now is a nice Space and Planet exploring game with ships and stuff and easy 100 hour procedural content.
NMS actually redeemed itself and wipes the floor with the SC PTU, in absolutely EVERY aspect (minus bartender high end AI) of technical fundament, content and immersion.

After a gently caress you release and deception NMS delivered 3 years pf progress, fixes and additional content.
As one of the many idiots that backed this SC disaster years ago, it is fascinating to compare NMS to SC and watch what a small devstudio with focus and the burden to redeem themselves is able to accomplish.
Clown Imperium Games got 300 Million Dollar, is 8 years in and is a laughable testament of failure against No Mans Sky. It’s not even close.

So, when will SC get on a design, content and technical level that might be on par with NMS that just took 3 years of additional and fixing work, without 300 Million and 450 people?

To be fair to CInotG for once, they are making all of this by hand instead of letting it be procedurally generated. Which is a pretty novel approach to making a space game of this scale, and a very stupid one.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Ah Jesus Chirst the poor luck on this guy, The Mandate, Telltale and Hi-Rez? Just missing CInotG for the Four Developers of the Crunchpocalypse.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

sc popped up on my morning twitter-on-the-shitter browsing again

what's happening?

There's a free fly week starting today. Time for more griefing vids.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Whoaaa whooaaaaaaaa, it's Rizzo!

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Sandweed posted:

Holy poo poo FIZZZ

I smell a new emote cooking

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Dreadwroth2 posted:

Is it me, or does it seem like the True Star Citizens are getting crazier lately?

For the last 7 years they have been throwing money at Star Citizen to start development, with nothing to show for it. Year after year, con after con, dollar after dollar. They keep on pledging. They keep on giving. Yet every time the result is a disappointment.

... have I ever told you the definition of insanity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Dwesa posted:

Imagine ERP-ing in SC with those dumb FOIP faces and all those glitching body parts.

Edit: actually, don't

Didn't catch your edit.
You owe me a new brain.