Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

I'm one of those sad saps that backed a concept ship. The RSI Orion. I had the opportunity to go for a refund, and decided not to. Hell, i keep the Orion as my desktop wallpaper to remind me NOT to invest that much money in kickstarter games and the like again. (Ironically, the one time that it convinced me NOT to invest was the BATTLETECH kickstarter. Was going to invest and get a House Steiner flight jacket. Thankfully the game came out and is great).

Ok, that aside. So, if we assume for the moment that the PU will eventually become a thing.

Early in the game's stretch goals, back when Stretch Goals actually unlocked new ships rather than being driven by new ship sales, each ship when unlocked had a separate stretch goal for being usable in the PU.
(Example: Bengal Carrier unlocked at 5.5 mil. Added to PU at 6mil)

So, if the PU does eventually become a thing, do we have ANY guarantee that ships we've purchased will actually be usable in it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

You might be able to sell it on the grey market.

Nope, it's my individual idiot tax.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Colostomy Bag posted:

The entirety of Dwarf Fortress resides in a procedule cave within Stat Citizen.

You know how in Dwarf Fortress, a Craftsdwarf will sometimes go into a 'Strange mood', sequester themselves in a workshop, and just start taking random-rear end materials (and sometimes rear end-materials) until they produce a masterpiece?

And you know how sometimes they bug out, and just keep asking for more and more materials, adding them on to their magnum opus, never ending until you inevitably cannot give them what they want and they go mad with rage?

I'm pretty sure Chris Roberts is doing that.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

communism bitch posted:

I understand from the stream's chat that this ship costs $1,100, and this entire process took nearly 3 hours, while his average FPS was like 25-30, on a monster pc.

Wait... are they not just allowing you to repawn your ships during this PRE-ALPHA TESTING PHASE?

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

*Carl Sagan voice*

Billions and billions and billions of triangles....

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Chev posted:

Sounds like we're back to talking about the Wing Commander movie.

I try not to think about that.

Tho i probably should have. Star Citizen is somehow turning out worse than that shitshow.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

I'm still waiting (not really) on when i can at least SEE my RSI Orion! Can't even see it on the roadmap anymore!

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Star Citizen: Springtime for Roberts

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Is that what this towel is for?

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Backed with the $45.00 package back in 2013 for an Aurora LX

Gave my friend a $40.00 package as a gift when his 2nd child was born in 2013. He's 7 now.

Lost my damned mind in 2015 and purchased a jpg of the RSI Orion, because LTI! Never going to fly it. $325.00 i basically set on fire.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Beet Wagon posted:

lmao they still haven't even started making that thing. I mean I bought a Merchantman around the same time so I can't really talk poo poo, but drat.

Yeah, another friend bought the Merchantman i think around the same time. The idea was I was going to sit and mine and he'd haul the cargo back to sell.

Looking at the state the game is in right now... that's just never going to happen. Is there even a system to transfer cargo between ships in space?

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Daztek posted:

Have you considered that Star Citizen is actually good and we're wrong???

Oh, i WANT SC to be good. I want us to be wrong.

But wanting it to be good doesn't make it good. Wanting it to be a game doesn't make it a game.

It just makes it easier to ignore all the things that aren't good, that aren't a game.

I want SC to be good and fun, but I don't think it will happen.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Quavers posted:

Then COVID happened: people staying in more, playing games more, government support payments in a ton of countries, etc.

:shepspends: :homebrew:

Hey, I used my Covid payment on a 3d printer

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Sock Citizen

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Popete posted:

Most people haven't been following any Lowtax drama for years. He's basically been absent the website for a decade and unless you frequent particular segments of the website you'd probably never see anything about his past allegations.

I myself was a Patreon supporter up until today and I was never aware of the previous allegations.

I found the LPArchive from TVTropes, then the SAForums from the LPArchive, and paid for access to new LPs.

I don't check any forums outside of >Games>

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Sarsapariller posted:

This is the evolution of Star Citizen's design philosophy in one picture. You might have to right click and open in another window to enlarge:

Picture gone. Can you repost?

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Beexoffel posted:

When is the eight year anniversary? Next week?

My Golden Ticket said 10/10/2012, so we're past it.

It also said development would take only 24 months.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

It can't just be a cutscene. That wouldn't be fidelitous enough. The ceremony must happen in-universe before transfer of assets can occur. That way someone else can ram their ship into the process, killing everyone in attendance, forcing another 3-30 ceremonies to occur, which can be attacked in-universe, until everyone is waiting for someone to organize their funeral and no one can respawn.

FIDELITY!

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Last King posted:

speaking of ridiculous...

holy cow what the hell?

Don't forget, just because you pledge for a ship, doesn't mean it will be available in the Persistent Universe! That's a separate stretch goal, PER SHIP!

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I read a short story a long time ago where it turned out hyperdrive and anti-gravity was actually pretty drat easy to invent, and virtually every other species had done so in the bronze age. Which unfortunately for them meant everyone was still running around with swords when an imperial expedition paid Earth a visit.

That's still more plausible!

When you're constructing a setting, you generally should avoid begging the question. People are happy to accept things at face value, literally all you have to do is not draw attention to such problems.

Harry Turtledove - The Road Not Taken
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Road_Not_Taken_(short_story)

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

DarkDobe posted:

Soooo Mortal Engines but planetary scale? Sounds awesome.

That was my thought. And you know what? I'd watch that!

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

TheDarkFlame posted:

There is or used to be a lot of stuff in the lore about how humans are just utter poo poo and their ten-millenia downfall has its roots in a technological dark age where a lot of information and science was intentionally lost, destroyed or locked away and essentially branded as heresy, from things like weapons tech to advanced AI. They mostly don't even know how computers work, just that they do, and everything that exists like this is kept running through centuries of maintenance that has become rituals of the holy order of mechanic-priests. So of course, everything sucks.

Even the Golden Throne, the grand soul-powered warp-rending cryostasis machine keeping the Emperor in a coma a half-step away from death, has been falling apart for millennia because nobody knows how to maintain it. It was a Big Deal in, I think 4th or 5th edition, they changed some art of the Throne to show it dilapidated and falling apart. Some people thought they might kill the old bastard off for certain and advance the plot somehow. Don't know if that ever happened. I realised it wasn't a hobby I had the time, money or motivation to keep up with.

The instant the Emperor dies, his power and the collective worship of The Imperium will cause him to rip a massive hole in spacetime into Chaos where he will emerge as a new Chaos God of Humanity, costing 90% of humanity their life in the process. It'll be strong enough to kill the other Chaos Gods and reign supreme.

Just as the Eldar have planned.

Meanwhile, the Tau will be like "Did you feel that? No? Me neither", discover their own Non-Warp based FTL (explicitly possible in-universe based on some of the older lore content), and then become the dominant race in the galaxy because they're the only race who A) Knows how their own tech works AND B) INVENTS NEW TECH FOR NEW PROBLEMS.

But that would require GW to expand the timeline past the few seconds before the Golden Throne shuts down, where they've been sitting for at least the past decade. Warhammer 40k.001 doesn't sound quite as catchy.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Counter-argument; moving the story forward and being willing to have permanent change to the setting is extremely good and what 40k needs. Some of the current stories are bad but some of the old 40k stories were garbage too, overall they're moving in a better direction and listening to fans more now.

Custodes being playable are dumb but so are primarchs, give the people what they want :shrug: you can always come up with some headcannon fluff to excuse why its happening.

This is what Privateer Press is doing with Warmachine and Hordes. We had a giant apocalyptic battle that hosed EVERYTHING OVER, and now we're fast forwarding a year or two and putting all the pieces together.

Also, only thing that matters in 40k is Tau. Tau are best. GW just can't stand any non GRIMDARK so had to imply they are using mind control and forced sterilization.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

TheDarkFlame posted:

I'm not surprised the Eldar got hosed up, they always got ignored. I remember either Eldar or Dark Eldar were two entire codexes behind for a while. But I'm surprised they progressed things, but am not surprised it was half a fakeout and half an excuse to have new toys.

Did they really bring Primarchs back? gently caress off and keep them in the novels where they belong. Extra-gently caress off with the super marines, no army needs a buff like that less than them and it just makes them less interesting to give them even stronger dudes. They're already by default supposed to out-fight a hundred Guardsmen, we don't need them to have another level.

...did they ever do anything with the Necrons? They were a cool design that kinda didn't matter and got ignored. I'm going to probably regret asking. Also is the Tau Manta still the biggest, dumbest thing GW sell, or did they make the Marines one-up them there as well?

I think the Manta is still the biggest single model (technically) that GW or FW sells.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Popete posted:

Really gotta drive up those page views by making up fake articles about the worlds most popular video game Star Citizen.

Star citizen isn't a GAME. It's an EXPERIENCE. A LIFESTYLE! A PRIViLEGE!!1one

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

This feels shockingly relevant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB8ZAqZnRqM

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Extra funny because most liquid cooling setups aren't actually more thermally efficient than air cooling setups. Heat pipes use phase transition and are way more effective than most gamers imagine.

But also yeah lol a skybox shouldn't require much CPU, even with some nice cloud particles.

No no no

They liquid cool so that when the game inevitably crashes, it's the fault of their copper pipes, not the game. Never the game.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

I mean, they picked an engine that is designed for first person games and decided to use it to make a third person vehicle based game.

Then added a FPS module after breaking the engine.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

That cat needs an elevated feeding bowl.

Scooping like that is bad for their health.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Zaphod42 posted:

Let met silence all your temptations; EVE is a bad game.

One does not simply play eve. If you do, you'll just die and respawn and always have a tiny ship.

You have two ways to try to actually do exciting things in EVE: Grind for an insane amount of hours doing boring "mining", or joining a giant corporation

Grinding - slow, boring, not exciting, and if you leave high-sec people will just kill you over and over

Corporation - they give you a better ship, but then you spend 3 hours looking at your ship in dock like its a screensaver waiting for the word from your corp to actually undock and attack, maybe it gets called off, or maybe you actually finally leave dock and fly to some place to do battle. There's hundreds of ships. Combat is just a very simple strategy game of "shoot guns at this ship". You get targeted and blow up and you're out of the battle permanently. Fun? Nope. Sounds exciting to talk about though.

The actual gameplay of flying isn't very fun because you don't pilot your ship, you just lay in a co-ordinate and let the autopilot (or a pilot npc if you're in a massive carrier) actually take you to your position. So there's zero dogfighting or exciting battles. Everything about combat feels more like something from final fantasy. You shoot lasers at them, numbers come out, they shoot missiles at you, numbers come out. You both pop some consumable items to heal yourself or buff your shields, then more volleys of lasers and missiles and numbers and one of you blows up.

90% of the "real" game of EVE online is either managing spreadsheets to try to profit from the economy, or trolling/spying on people outside of the game so you can destroy their corporation.

EVE is almost more like an ARG than an actual videogame.

If you want a space game, play Elite Dangerous. If you find Elite boring, don't play space games. (or play TIE fighter)

Isn't this basically exactly what Star Shitizens want?

Either treat the game as a not just a second job, but a second loving life to earn enough to buy a capital ship, or beg some player org to let you sweep floors on one of their multi-crew capital ships and hope they get into a combat and let you pew pew one of their guns for them, when they're not just doing cargo run quests and using your (possibly dead) body as a method to prevent their 3,000+ dollar ship from respawning?

Oh, and don't forget the open PVP anywhere and everywhere so if you DO try to make enough money mining or doing missions, someone with more ships and more time will just blow you up for shits and giggles because their ships have LTI and yours don't.

akkristor fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 21, 2021

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Trillhouse posted:

I'm not even sure the majority of Star Citizens want space combat anymore. Reading what they mostly post nowadays, it seems like they want to do weird space-jobs like mining, civilian transport, quests on the ground, etc.

The Arena Commander mode (basically the PVP quick-dogfight mode) has been broken for months and nobody cares. If you want to actually fly around in a spaceship and fight other players, you have to play the PU, wake up in the wankpod, go to a kiosk to get your ship, then enter pvp zone, etc.

It's wild that after all this time, they still haven't sat down and figured out how to make space combat fun and balanced. It's just not a priority.

Lining up to be employees at the Space-TSA. HIGH FIDELITY cavity search.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Trillhouse posted:

Real talk: Do you guys think SQ42 ever releases? And, if so, what that release looks like?

I honestly don't think it will. I think the best we can hope for is a 1/4 finished leaked dev build you have to compile yourself.

SQ42 will eventual release as a Visual Novel Dating Sim

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

lobsterminator posted:

I really hate space dads. These kinds of things might be fun once a week or so if you are the right amount of drunk and spergy. But if they are part of the game it will get annoying after the first time.

Not to mention that taking a crap will probably explode your ship due to the physics.

Naah, it'll explode because some sperglord decided to eject 100,000 hand carts out of his cargo bay in the shipping lanes and every ship that touches one explodes because the carts are objects not ships so they can't be destroyed.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

punishedkissinger posted:

The subreddit tells me it can be used to destroy prison turrets

But doesn't that just give you a crime stat and cause you to be immediately teleported into prison when your tank explodes due to 'secret undisclosed anti-tank mines'?

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

ronmcd posted:

Ship Value $700.

$700.

Sometimes I forget just how incredible this grift really is.

It really is a loving grift.

There is no scarcity to these. You can't construct a ship. You don't have to mine/purchase resources to have a ship constructed, leading to bigger ships requiring more materials and thus justifying a heftier cost. You click a button, pay some money, and a picture of a ship is added to your account. If you are lucky, you can spawn a ship in a lovely flight simulator that can't do proper inertia or collision detection because they scaled everything down to be able to fit a solar system into a 1km cubed area.

It's just a loving grift.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Yeah, cause he still has an HDD built into his computer. Why.

I've had the same HDD for my desktop over 3 rebuilds and 12 years.

I have a SSD for Steam.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

The Titanic posted:

And I'll know you're serious if a basic thing is the price of a normal retail game and a bigger thing is the cost of a real car. And if you hide some costs from me until I'm enlightened and have proven my gullible nature... I will just not stop buying it all.

:homebrew:

Scientology would like to know your location.

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

It's bad when EA buying the game would be a net improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akkristor
Feb 24, 2014

Khanstant posted:

star citizen will launch with a simple password system for your character and account. just a simple array of ships, plus a feature to take screenshots of your password so you don't have to write it down.

We don't have time to code-in screenshots.

ship the game with a loving poleroid.