Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

TheBombPhilosopher posted:

Don't forget if the faithful ever fail to cover the cost of CR's vision, he can always use his wavy hands technique to bamboozle venture capitalists like the Calders into pledging tens of millions of dollars into the project. There will be no strings attached and no expectation of ever seeing a return on their PLEDGE, because CR owes no one anything. :smuggo:

Oh my goodness...

From which interview was this clipped? I need context for those Hand Movements

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Zaphod42 posted:

I think this is a very rude post. I'm hearing you out and responding to what you say, why do you have to be so dismissive in return?

Lets say you hand-place 10 POIs. You can then randomly generate multiple quests that involve those same locations as targets. 4 POIs doesn't have to mean 4 quests total. There is SO MUCH possible design space that you aren't even considering here.

And as far as "multiple people running through them simultaneously" yeah, it'd need a way to instance quests. Again, I already explained all this and you just ignore everything I say, and then I have to repeat myself. What's the point! Either please give me the curtesy of reading my responses to you or lets stop even having this conversation? Its not reasonable of you.

That is a thing you CAN do. Saying you "should" do it implies a lot of things you haven't proven yet and so is an arbitrary judgement.

"ID games should invest in more megatexturing" I can say that but its meaningless unless I give a strong reason WHY its the case. You have no WHY here, you just say it is because you've done procgen before and this isn't how you did it so it must not be right. But again, we went through that, there's a million different types of procgen that each solve different problems.

As was outlined previously in my response to you, having a procgen sytem that generates surfaces as needed is harder for CIG than placing volumes. You just... ignore this statement like you ignore all responses to you that you don't like.

Now you're going to respond to me saying "What were we arguing about again?" and then later go "Procgen should arbitrarily pick world co-ordinates" no matter what I say. This is getting real frustrating. Just going in circles because you won't actually engage, you just know you're already right. Which isn't actually true.

Here it is. Finally it comes out, plain and simple for everybody to see. This is the straight up anti-cult stuff I was just talking about. You don't care about truth or false or right or wrong, you just want to say "CIG dumb" over and over, so even if they do something smart, you have to call it dumb, because you can't handle the concept that not 100% of everything CIG does is stupid.

Even if only 99% of what they do is stupid, they're still incompetent. Its very toxic to think that way, "with us or against us". CIG sucks. I've said that literally 10,000 times in this thread. I've said WHILE WE ARE HAVIN THIS CONVERSATION that they are incompetent and will never produce a game at least a dozen times. And yet here you are accusing me of being a CIG defender just because I disagree with you about procgen game design. That's very toxic and unhealthy. Goons do this a lot, especially about videogames, and its really really not good. I can disagree with you about one thing and it doesn't mean I'm your enemy!

People who lead productive, healthy, and gratifying lives generally don't argue this exhaustively or indignantly on the internet about luxury hobbies.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Muscle Tracer posted:

"luxury hobbies" is not the topic of this ongoing argument :confused:

I do think the argument hinges oon a differing view of the scale and depth of what CIG is attempting. NMS has literally trillions of worlds you can visit because they are fully procedurally generated, and obviously any level of direct human involvement just fundamentally can't be part of something of that scope. But CIG isn't, to my knowledge, claiming to have a 100% procgen full-size universe like NMS, but rather to use procgen as one tool to help them flesh out a 100-system galaxy, which is pretty reasonable on its face. It's not that human intervention is part of the procgen, it's that the procgen step is followed by a human design step.

Video games are a luxury hobby.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

The 'sight' thing is supposed to be the plunger of the syringe, I think? This isn't obvious because the audience has to imagine non-Euclidean linkages inside the device for the plunger to actually work as pictured. They tried to design a tool that is supposed to be used intuitively / in extremis, and failed in the most grandiose way possible.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Oh my god lmao

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

lobsterminator posted:

My dream is to be the low level crew member of someone who is experiencing that escapist dream in an Idris.

Is Chris going to let me be a hot dog

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Sarsapariller posted:

I don't know why this surprises you. Here's how the pricing model works:

$360: This is the bog standard cargo ship. It is big and it hauls cargo. It will be completely defenseless even with turret gunners and will still lose all your poo poo when the game crashes to desktop. It is absolutely not worth even a tenth of this price, and you can buy cargo ships in-game for free.

$480: This is the "Military" version of the cargo ship. It hauls less cargo than the first one, in exchange for a hand wave and nebulous promise of better equipment, or something. They don't even bother to describe the difference anymore, they just say "It's military" and raise the price by a hundred dollars. Citizens still pay the difference.

$700: This is the "Whale" version of the cargo ship. It can haul less than a third of the first one's cargo, but they have promised new features like being able to drop gravity bombs, in a space game about spaceships in space. Only a fool would buy this. It is here to make idiots think that the first two are a good value. Citizens have been trained to fetishize spaceships that are facsimiles of actual planes, so this one is compared to the C-130 Hercules that they stuck a howitzer to the side of. It will not have a howitzer.

No loving way- are you speculating or is that actually how those ships are broken down?

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

This is such a hilariously weird thing to post.

text editor posted:

What besides heart disease will ever stop the true believers?

Lucidity?

Thanks for the edits, you picked out some real winners.

mkvltra fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Mar 10, 2021

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Sarsapariller posted:

The world's nastiest coffee counter

Any more details on this?

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Tippis posted:

They bought a professional coffee shop barista station for their office so everyone could make their own fancy coffees (because obviously, this is standard knowledge). This led to some product spillage.

This piece of professional equipment was paired with a… slightly less professional choice of worktop material: untreated stone. It looked very nice. For a while. Then it became quite clear why you don't really see it in a dirty setting, namely that untreated stone is surprisingly porous and will pick up stains, discolourations, and soak up liquids like no-one's business. To use it as a work surface, you want to polish it and apply some kind of protective lacquer or other surface treatment to keep the dirt off and liquid outside. This would make it look less nice, but make it functional instead.

“Look less nice, but more functional” is anathema to everything CI¬G holds dear.

After a while, though, it was still not functional but had acquired the general colouration and toning, and looked about as (or slightly less) nice as a first-year student's coffee pot after a two-week cram session… except much much larger.

Wow. The extent of CIG's hubris is unlimited! Love your analysis, thank you.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Scruffpuff posted:

He's taking the expertise that only being fired by Microsoft and having all your work thrown out and rebuilt from scratch can bring to a project.

:drat:

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

"Internet People"

How does Jorunn qualify as anything other than an Internet Person? Maybe he's just referring to people who are more popular than himself?

Homie needs to pick up a sports ball for a couple minutes!

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

drat, okay

Not really a good look in front of the garage door they had installed

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

"What my boss thinks I do" (Electrical engineering)

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Time_pants posted:

Is it weird that I can tell you exactly what his politics are simply because of all the random capitalization?

Yes, that's weird.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Bubbacub posted:

totally normal project management for your schedule to look like psychedelic diarrhea

Regarding the personnel bubbles- what's the difference between the solid bubbles and the empty bubbles?

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

The Titanic posted:

Actually I think the best one was the super complex manual loading system in capital ships one.

That was one that probably should have made people reconsider what the heck this project is and what kind of idiot is running it, but here we are almost 10 years now.

Will you please post pics / video of what you just described?

Also just wanted to chime in and say that I really enjoy reading your insight about Star Citizen.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Pixelate posted:

Don't think this is it, but it'll do for now

https://i.imgur.com/dM4rK98.mp4

I have a ravenous appetite for over-engineered design concepts. Thank you- I'm satiated for the time being, but please don't hesitate to post more.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

TheAgent posted:

crobbo is looking old as gently caress lol

What is the app he's so proudly displaying on his phone? Am I supposed to know what that is

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

UnknownTarget posted:

I wanna introduce a friend to the sc saga. Anyone have a good starter video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHUbzzKJXBc

Mandalore's video was made in 2016 but it was comprehensive at the time.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

The weird proof of life tweet just hit 1k likes, I am so stoked to see their video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It's a meditation on militaristic philosophy, not an adventure story. It's also so opaque people still debate to this day if the views in the book are Heinlein's own or if he was criticizing them. If you're looking for science fiction action scenes you've got the wrong book.

The descriptions of how the mobile infantry operates is pretty cool though. Hand-held nuke grenades are cool and jumping around huge distances is pretty sick.