Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Zaphod42 posted:

My first videogame ever was Donkey Kong, but I honestly am not sure what console it was on. It was at some friend of my parents' house.

In my memory, it has the graphics of NES donkey kong, but I distinctly remember controlling it with one of those simple black Atari joysticks with the one red button. The classic 2600 ones.

2600 Donkey Kong looks super ugly though, so maybe it was like a 5200?

I only played it the one time so its very foggy, I have the memory of the memory more than anything.

I know this reply is three months late, but that sounds like it was probably the Colecovision version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

You do know you can say "poo poo" here, right? There's a word filter for people who aren't registered. :)

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Inacio posted:

premium bedding. good deal actually

:stare:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

:hmmyes:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I haven't checked this thread in a couple of weeks. Is this out yet and is it still better than Star Wars: Squadrons? I want to play this, the greatest game that will ever be created, but I'm too impatient to wait another couple of weeks.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

If I buy a $1000 jpg will that speed this poo poo up or do I need to splurge on a $2000 jpg

This is v important

...!
Oct 5, 2003

God, I love occasionally reading this thread and seeing the newest excuses the Star Citizens make for the amazing debacle that this shitfest has become. It's truly incredible how a man like Chris Roberts has acquired and maintained such a strong cult of personality. Just the sheer belief that he can do no wrong, despite all evidence to the contrary.

I wonder about the extreme cognitive dissonance these people must feel when they play an actual good game like Star Wars Squadrons and realize that the evil publisher model has delivered a much more fantastic game than Star Citizen in a much shorter timespan. And all without selling them thousand dollar jpegs or other microtransactions!

Can they bring themselves to admit that publishers create a much better experience for gamers since they can hold devs accountable and force them to focus on an actually achievable goal with a realistic scope and development time?

Or do they just decide not to play Squadrons? Just stick their fingers in their ears and yell, "la la la, I can't hear you!"

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Tippis posted:

It's time for these again, I think:

Note how he goes on about goraud-shaded polygonal models as if they were so insanely advanced it couldn't really be done yet.
Note that he calls the assumption that the power-to-price ratio of PCs would continue to decline a “risky” proposition.
Note that he mentions CES 1991 as the moment he accidentally tipped off the industry about the ability to use these fancy features.
Note that the actual game didn't come out until 1993.

Falcon 3.0 was released in 1991 (before CES) and featured goraud shading and texture mapping.
In 1993, before Strike Commander came out, SEGA would release it's Model 2, which featured hardware-accelerated goraud shading and texture mapping. They had been working on it long before that. There was some other things coming out in 1993 too, but they probably aren't as important.
In 1993, it was such a familiar technique that drunken Finnish louts in a loft were doing it in their spare time.

Also note that the 286 had come out in 1982, offering more power-to-price than the 8086/8088; that 386 had come out in 1985, offering more power-to-price than the 286; that the 486 had come out in 1989, offering more power-to-price than the 386; that the Pentium came out in 1993, offering more power-to-price than the 486; that there are primordial sea weed with no semblance of a nervous system that are better at pattern recognition than Mr. Risky Roberts here.

Chris has been singing the same song for almost 30 years now. It is always technology lagging behind him, somehow, even though what he's doing is — at best — contemporary with what everyone else is doing. The only difference is that those other people actually succeed and he does not.

So, all these years later, other devs are still obviously stealing Chris's ideas. The Squadrons devs simply executed ideas they stole from Star Citizen, those bastards! :argh:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Sarsapariller posted:

Chris waved his hands and said "Development is hard" and they did an hour-long video of devs muttering about what they'd like to do with AI "Resuming conversations" when the player steps away and then returns to them. To my knowledge they didn't explain anything or promise anything except more of these shows in the future, whenever they feel like it.

That should be enough, right?

lol, games have already been doing this for years. Control is a recent example; the GTA series has done it for well over a decade. :allears:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Bootcha posted:

Roberts himself had the opportunity to buy the WC IP, but declined not to.

So you're saying that he did, in fact, buy it? :confused:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

SeaDart posted:

Hello lads, I bought an account to ask the following:

1) Is this a game yet

2) What happened to the Battlefield mode

3) How much money have they collected till now? Their funding tracker says about $320 Million, and they got about $50 million from that South African. Were there any further investments/equity sales?

4) Should I buy this game

1. Yes
2. It's loving amazing
3. Couldn't tell you
4. Yes but for the best experience, be sure to buy a $500 ship

...!
Oct 5, 2003

SeaDart posted:

Addenda

5) Where’s that Squadron game? I have a Starlancer itch

5. It does not exist and even if it did, it would be a poor ripoff of Star Citizen

I'm not joking, buy an Idris

...!
Oct 5, 2003

:thunk:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Did any of this happen

It happened so hard and with the utmost fidelity.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

peter gabriel posted:

Living in tier 3 here, full lockdown pretty much...
Father in law and mother in law have covid.
Nephew and his Mum have it too, we've just been phoned by the NHS track and trace to let us know we have all been exposed.
Wife working from home in isolation, son off school in isolation, his year have all been sent home as some kids have covid.
To say the walls are closing in is an understatement.
Buy a fuckin Idris

That's the longest haiku I've ever read

...!
Oct 5, 2003

DigitalPenny posted:

can i ask one of my more learned forum freinds here to explain the low tax thing.

He ran the site, then he sold the site. When i read the sticky at the top of the forums it sounds like getting rid of him was akin to overthrowing an evil dictator, is this just humor ?

Lowtax beats women.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

IAbsolveMyself posted:

Yeah, well that's just, like, your narrative, man.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Mr. Peepers posted:

I definitely must have missed something in Obra Dinn because I thought it was supposed to be some puzzle-y investigation game but I just walked around looking at stuff and not really solving or investigating anything for an hour before giving up in boredom.

I just started playing this based on this thread and I'm having the exact same experience. I have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing other than just wandering around and watching the flashbacks. I've looked up some "beginner's guides" but they're actually too advanced and seem to assume I have at least some idea of what to do. I don't. This game badly needs a tutorial.

I feel like I might just be too dumb for this game. I don't even understand the basics. :saddowns:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

zebedy posted:

fully fizzicalized

HOLY poo poo

...!
Oct 5, 2003

BigglesSWE posted:

This reminds me of that documentary that came with the 2004 Star Wars DVD box, wherein Mark Hanukkah tells a story about how the studio men was worried when they were making the first film, that Chewbacca had no clothes on or as Hamill put it: “of all the things to worry about : The Wookiee has no pants.”

Phone decided that Hamill the first time was to be Hanukkah and who am I to judge?

I... don't understand half of this post :staredog:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

:stare:

I have nothing to say that others haven't already, but this is loving insane. Yes, people are totally going to fight each other for the privilege of slaving away for your benefit rather than just playing something fun instead.

Also, thanks to the goons in this thread I've gone from not understanding Obra Dinn at all to having 36 out of 60 fates solved. Thanks, goons! :)

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Danknificent posted:

i hereby claim that star citizen is not a scam

:vince:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

The Titanic posted:

Pretty pissed that you can just take stuff and it doesn't go away. The guy working there should restock it, and if he runs out of stock he has to close the shop and go on a radiant quest to get more food. During his quest I should be able to help him or hurt him, killing him closes the shop until a new owner arrives. But I should also be able to poison his supply, and laugh as people swoop in and buy a burrito and die of poison. This is how to be an assassin and should will be in the game as an option because it sounds like something you can do in Hitman and SC is like 50,000,000x more deep than Hitman and it's basically real life and

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Nicholas posted:

CIG can you please start loving up in new and exciting ways?

No

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Solarin posted:

star citizen is poo poo.

:monocle:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Sneaky Wombat posted:

More recruiting pitches from my buddy who sunk a lot into this game. What does the biggest ship cost? that is what he bought

IT'S WILD

Has your friend played No Man's Sky? Because he literally just described No Man's Sky. And that's a pretty old game now.

That reminds me, I need to get back into NMS soon now that it has VR support. I love flying my space fighter in and out of my Star Destroyer and can't wait to do it in VR. :getin:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Star Citizen fans? Are pieces of poo poo??? :monocle:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Lord Stimperor posted:

In terms of good Space games, I'd like to throw a couple of less obvious ones in the ring:

Star Control II
Is an old DOS game. I came across it on an emulator many years ago and despite not knowing it from my childhood, I enjoyed it. Point being my enjoyment wasn't driven by nostalgia and it really held up. You're piloting an Ark through space to perform quests, modifying it, having space battles, and driving exploration vehicles over planetary surfaces. Really neat.

The superior 3DO version is now open source and has been ported to pretty much every modern OS. They had to change the name to The Ur-Quan Masters; the original devs own the entirety of the game itself but don't have the rights to the Star Control title.

It's one of the best space games of all time and now there's zero excuse for having never played it. Runs natively on pretty much everything and is old enough that the system requirements are almost nothing.

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

Pfft, split screen StarCraft on N64 is where the true gamers dwell.

:eyepop:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

trucutru posted:

If you gave him unlimited funds to make a Tetris game he would first somehow have to hire some Hollywood A-listers to motion capture the tetrominos (Sandy gets to play the I piece). Then build multiple studies across the world to develop 24/7. Then hire Zurovek to be in charge of the team of German rocket scientists required for the code to rotate the pieces.

This sounds pretty sweet, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Is this out yet :f5: