Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Mr Fronts posted:

If I were in charge, I'd fix Star Citizen by dubbing Gary Oldman's voice into COD Infinite Warfare, and changing its title screen to say "SQUADRON 42". I would then modify Elite Dangerous so you can only by the ships with real money, and call it "STAR CITIZEN".

This post is a billion times better if you remember that Gary Oldman was already in COD as a character who brainwashed and programmed someone to carry out his goals over the next like 30 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

People will still blame other people (especially Konami) for everything stupid that Kojima ever does, no matter how many times it's made obvious it is that he is a terrible manager and is at his best when he's ruled with an iron fist.

Basically what I'm saying is, once Death Stranding is released, expect a big announcement that CIG and KJP are merging.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

You don't understand. FPS mining is supposed to be terrible. If you're rich, you space mine. If you're a poor citizen or captured in war, the Stimperor will sentence you to 20 years of hard mining labor. Real time, and only counts while you're actually playing, of course, for maximum immersion.

Pretty soon they'll be selling these people jpegs of themselves being tortured and they'll still be buying.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Imagine how many backers could have afforded a dog and a doghouse this good instead of jpegs.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

I understand why backers are sometimes conflicted. If they want the next gameplay loop, they have to keep giving money to CIG. At the same time, every time they give CIG money, they're delaying their access to the pinnacle of Star Citizen : the "frantic fan attempts to salvage the project after CIG collapses" gameplay.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

That game will be feature complete and functional about the same time Star Citizen is. It will also be about as fun.

"LOL the scope is everything" is not how you do game design.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Bubbacub posted:

They keep touting caves and weapon attachments. The original Crysis game already had both of those, so the implementation should be pretty trivial.

Crysis was so far ahead of its time that it can't even be recreated today. That's why CIG chose CryEngine, it's able to support games from the future.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

When are they going to announce flyable asteroids with random generated caves?

Only $1800 for a TRULY ONE OF A KIND ship? SOLD!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It's actually really quite complicated. Your brain expects a certain degree of correlation between image clarity and motion clarity/consistency. This is why increasing resolution while maintaining the same framerate actually looks worse. Your brain's ability to determine your trajectory eventually breaks down, and you have a worse experience than the exact same framerate at a lower resolution. Obviously the hitching introduced by failed branch predictions and switching tracks is going to be much more dramatic and a worse experience than that.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

78% of the way to completely obsoleting the ship so no one ever uses it.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Yeah, but once they implement SDCLO (Spacecraft Door Component Level Optimization, another thing NO ONE HAS DONE BEFORE that will take 2 years), Star Citizen will be even more advanced than any other game. At least two decades ahead of its time.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Sabreseven posted:

I like the way the bed is now an engine/thruster. :D

Fidelitious!

In the future there's no need for sleep. A place for thrusting is all you really need. Realism strikes again!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Complex damage modeling is cool, but why would you want it in a loving spaceship game? Some kind of survival game, hell yeah, I want incredibly detailed modeling of my character's health and the way their various ailments affect them, but a game where your character is just a pilot and/or a shootmans?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Sarsapariller posted:

So here's a fun graphic illustrating how hosed the in-game economy is. This is the supply/demand chart for all materials currently tradeable in game. See, every "Tick" of server time, which I think is like 5 minutes, every base in the game will increase its supply and/or demand for a resource by the amount specified here, up to some predetermined cap.

This is the kind of stuff that proves that even if Star Citizen were ever finished, it would be awful. There is no game design involved. This is the fundamental underpinnings of a game, if you haven't planned how you want things to work to the point where you've done actual math, you aren't doing game design. I'm sure the combat and everything else is equally undesigned.

Sabreseven posted:

LMAO @ the foip guy at the very end literally made me spit coffee, I won't spoil it for everyone but it's an awful and hilarious display of foip. :D

They should call it Nightmares Over IP. poo poo belongs in a horror game.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Tippis posted:

I wonder what tech achievement he's talking about, though. Being so unoptimised that you can't play a fairly bog-standard game without the latest silicon kind of goes in the opposite direction…

I think he's talking about the part of the video where he shoots a ship, and the texture for the shield appears to be about 16x16 pixels. SC is getting so old that it honestly looks average to subpar in a lot of areas.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

There is 0% chance of this happening because there is no star citizen engine. If you gave me every line of code CIG has made and asked me to produce a space MMO, I would start by DELETING EVERYTHING.

And that's not spiteful, that is honest to god the absolute smartest move they could make right now. What they have is an unmaintainable nightmare. Its a loving disaster. Its pure tech debt.

So this doesn't make sense. Everything that looks good about SC wasn't made by CIG, its just Cryengine/Lumberyard. Anybody who wants Cryengine can already license Cryengine, and you do it from Crytek, not CIG. There is literally nothing to license from CIG, they have not made anything other than JPGs. They do not understand how to design new game systems, so all they do is hack things together to give the illusion of progress. They have nothing. I cannot stress this enough. They have nothing.

Beyond that, you really think that if Elite Dangerous finally fulfills all the vision of SC, that star citizens are gonna be cool with that? I mean, they'll definitely jump ship, but they'd be pissed at Chris for wasting their money while David Braben showed that what they wanted was easily achievable without even busking for their cash.

You're misreading what he's saying. He's saying Company B comes in with the Company B engine, creates a game like Star Citizen on the Company B engine. Citizens of course don't care about this game because it's not Star Citizen and cannot live up to Crobber's grand vision. CIG quietly licenses the Company B engine, throws their assets into it, and then Crobber goes "look at OUR GREAT ENGINE!" Cue Citizens again fellating Crobber for his incredible vision and talent in all things. Truly the greatest mind of all time!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Today the players can dissect your engine and analyze it better than you within a week, this wouldn't really pass. Took days to completely analyze (lack of) NMS's multiplayer. And CI isn't competent enough to cover it up successfully.

We're not talking about in the eyes of normal people. We're talking about in the eyes of Citizens, who think that CIG has really fully customized Cryengine and taken it to the bleeding edge, and that everything in the game is some complex implementation and not a hacked-together mess.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Crobber's already got a plan to bring skin fidelity to a new level :

quote:

Greetings Citizens!

Recent controversies have made clear that we at CIG have not succeeded in creating virtual characters with the level of fidelity that we (and you) demand in a next-gen game like Star Citizen. I have full faith in the team's ability to create hyper-realistic representations of our avatars in the 'Verse, but time and study resources have definitely been a constraint. That's why today, we're excited to announce a new ship : the Endeavor Mutilator. Fully equipped with all the medical and scientific tools needed to experiment on subjects, along with the means to restrain and sustain them as long as experimentation proves necessary. Along with this new ship comes an exciting new way to contribute to Star Citizen. The Mutilator will only be available through a limited program exclusively for those willing to donate their skin to contribute to improvements in the Star Citizen character rendering pipeline. Not only will you have a unique ship, but you'll have made a truly valuable contribution to a game so immersive that it will end your need for real-life skin. As a bonus, each Endeavor Mutilator comes with the ability for the owner to swap out his in-game skin for a high-quality replica of his former skin. After a short deIay for the development process, it'll be like you never lost it to begin with. Act now, availability for this program is limited!

-Chris

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

AbstractNapper posted:

Lol, they've already said that SQ42 will be episodic, albeit with episodes larger than AAA titles. They've already "sold" the second episode to early backers (or was it only for those of a high enough tier?). And then they talked about a prelude, and/or a prologue, and now it's anyone's guess what the gently caress they're going to be releasing.

First will be Squadron 42. Then they will add VR support in Squadron 42 360. Finally, the prequel will be called Squadron 42 One.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

That's an extremely good point. The farce has dragged on so long that for any aspect of CIG you could choose, there are people who knew nothing at the start of SC development, and now have more to show for their skills in that arena than CIG does.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Assuming Roberts wasn't blinded by the dollar-signs in his eyes what would have been a good engine to licence in 2012? Something built for moving in a fully 3d space and texture streaming that negates the need for loading-screens everywhere, and accounts for multiplayer?

Duke Nukem Forever feels quaint next to this game's development.

Answering the question "What are the technological underpinnings for this project?" first requires you to answer "What is the scope of this project?" Star Citizen is not a game, it IS endless scope creep. There's no technology appropriate for that.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

G0RF posted:

^^^ This.

Imagine a game where every crater on every moon has more content than Skyrim. Now imagine a universe of such moons. Add planets, wormholes, spaceworms, myriad sentient alien races each with their own languages, all of this tied together with a Quantum economic simulator.

Now stop imagining, and start spending.

Star Citizen.

Correction :

Now keep imagining, and start spending. And keep spending.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Quavers posted:

:reddit: As a community, we're doing ourselves a disservice.

Dear members of r/starcitizen,

I write this post today to express a concern of mine, while likely controversial - I ask you to bear with me. Criticism of CIG is widespread, that is a fact that cannot be disputed. I wish that you would take a moment and read, even if you disagree.

The majority of us that partake in daily conversation on this subreddit are enthusiastic individuals eagerly awaiting patches and supporting/advising inevitable inquiries of new and old players/supporters, alike.

Regardless of how much or how little you have pledged in support of this project, you are well aware of the skeptical viewpoints of the broader gaming community in regards to the legitimacy of the project. While I personally do not question the legitimacy of the project - I have come to that conclusion through extensive research and inquiry. The information is out there - and that is part of the problem, as people can clearly see where the money goes and thus are able to critique it's use. In all my years of gaming, I have never seen a company so openly share it's development cycle and financial statements.

On this subreddit, negativity towards the project is usually met with negativity. I've been here long enough to witness a plethora of posts, often made in poor taste - get obliterated and deleted.

While *I DO NOT* condone blantent misinformation and uneducated criticism/negativity towards the project; I suggest we meet those (so called haters) who doubt the project - from a much different angle.

Instead of downvoting them into oblivion, we should upvote their criticism, upvote the misinformation and make popular those such posts made in poor taste.

Why would I, a very devoted member to the community, do such a thing?

If we instead approach the criticism head on, and face it for what it is (likely misinformation and lack of knowledge in the subject) and provide the user with ACCURATE information and evidence to support and build upon what we already know as a legitimate project - I would believe the community would grow rather than shrink.

Thus I repeat my the title of this post: as a community, we're doing oureselves a disservice by closing doors to those skeptics.

Instead I propose that we open new doors and win the support of those individuals that are unfortunately ignorant of a very legitimate project.

Thank you,
See you all in the Verse!

Edit: Objective is to be honest, and as always grow and foster a healthy community.

Edit 2: Example of what I don't believe is necessary: http://imgur.com/a/jOva6EG

:ohdear:

Look at this fuckin' loser, trying to discourage fine Citizens from creating the Stimpire in real life.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Inacio posted:

"fixed" is an exaggeration - it's just less awful for cheaper ships. ymmv.

also Citizens have said that it might be just for the PTU, too - you can now QT from 10,000m, which means that once again it's less tedious immersive and might leave after PTU

Friend, I'm seeing some troubling language here. "After PTU" - are you starting to believe there will actually be a game here some day? Pull back, my son, before the darkness overtakes you.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

E:D is a game that you can play much longer than you should, but that doesn't make it bad or not a game. It's a shame Frontier took it in the direction of endless grinding rather than catering to sane people who would prefer to come back for short bursts of new content, but it's still an incredibly fun experience for a very reasonable length of time.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Bofast posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the whole crunch culture has driven a lot of the best engine programmers out of the video game industry and thus made the overall quality of code drop a bit.

While a lot of games are dumpster fires, most of the major engines are pretty fantastic. I suspect the top talent is either working on the engines themselves (and thus having a more enjoyable job where they're focused on developing and refining technology rather than trying to cobble together a broken game to some incompetent designer's brainless specification) or they're working at smaller studios and getting ownership shares. There's really not a hell of a lot of reason to work for an AAA publisher if you're any good at anything.

e - to expand on that, since it's been true for... well, forever, that especially programmers and anyone capable of designing/managing a product can make more money outside of games, the only reason anyone is in the industry is that they're either really passionate or really poo poo. If you're really passionate, why would you want to work on soulless AAA games?

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Feb 2, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Expecting Starbase to be anything like what the trailers are implying is less foolish than a still-believing Citizen, but still pretty drat foolish. Unlike Crobber they've generally been carefully to not directly overstate what's possible, but they're definitely baiting player expectations way too high.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

When you and some other player get warped onto an NPC ship, you're engaged in a group. It's not a bug, it's a social feature!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Agony Aunt posted:

Due to shared resources and prioritization being placed on Prison Gameplay,

Things that should never be in the patch notes for an unreleased game that is not about prison.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

colonelwest posted:

Well guys all of this Carrack hype and talk of a white paint job for $25, has finally pushed me over the edge. I am a Star Citizen now. I bought two Carracks, one for me and one for my soon to be Ukrainian wife. Unfortunately the potato harvest on her family farm was bad this year, so she can’t make it to the US for a few more months. But when she gets here, I can’t wait to do some couple’s touring in our matching white Carracks! Really, they were a bargain at only $1250.00. It’s much less than the money I’m sending each month to her via her brother Boris who lives in Russia, and what I’ve been spending on hair plugs, testosterone supplements, and various erectile dysfunction remedies. Anyway I can’t wait to show off all of my girls in the ‘verse! (Carracks and the new wife tehehe!)

My grandfather's 3rd wife was a mail-order bride. She actually made him happy, took care of him pretty drat well, and built herself a good career. So unlike Star Citizen, there's actually some chance you get what you're paying for with a mail-order bride. God drat is this game a scam.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Big budget game development is not about passion. It's about management. Criticism is not going to make a competent manager incompetent.

Citizens are so loving stupid.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

trucutru posted:

Just add these together

I've never seen someone save so much money on a video game. Someone appoint this man to run the global economy!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Can't wait for the Star Citizen dubstep MLG eating montages.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Quavers posted:

Never been done before :toot:

Hey, reskinning the Crysis weapon attachment overlay is a big accomplishment. Doing it at this level of fidelity takes years and costs millions of dollars no matter who you are.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Quavers posted:

:v: If a player force closes the game when killed by security they will spawn in prison retaining their loadout. Please do not do this.

You haters thought that the prison gameplay would never be fun, but look how fast the design methods Chris Roberts pioneered have allowed them to implement smuggling gameplay!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It's really not much as far as hobbies go. Most adult hobbies, a day is going to cost you hundreds to thousands of dollars. It's more that it's inexcusably, extraordinarily expensive as far as video games go. Sure, the racing and other sim people have the excuse of "cheaper than IRL" when paying for their incredibly overpriced low quality garbage cans, but Star Citizen doesn't have that "cheap training for your real hobby" excuse.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

TheDarkFlame posted:

Am I reading this right, that post is saying "most adult hobbies" whatever that means will cost you hundreds to thousands of dollars, just over a day? I know I said some people might have expensive tastes, but I'm curious, what kind of hobbies are you smoking here if you're spending that much a day? Or are you spending this much to indulge yourself once a month as a special day or for some big event or something? I can see some particular things being this costly, something that involves buying or renting expensive hardware and equipment. Maybe if you had a decrepit car you were lovingly trying to restore. It just seems like so much more money than I could justify on anything that wasn't actually my life.

Hundreds to thousands per day. For example, anyone who drags or tracks cars is averaging out to hundreds per outing at a minimum, flight lessons and renting planes isn't cheap, boating isn't cheap, travel in general is expensive, even cheap art tends to be expensive to collect, horses are incredibly expensive. Even relatively cheaper hobbies like guns, skiing, mountain biking, golf, diving, etc are going to normally cost >$100+/day when you take all the costs into consideration.

Gaming is pretty uniquely cheap, which is a huge part of why it has displaced so many other hobbies. There are certainly plenty of other things you can do that are much cheaper, but they don't tend to be the hobbies that people pick up as adults. Once people start making money they start tending to do all the dumb expensive poo poo they always wanted to do but couldn't afford.

Star Citizen is like a really expensive version of any model hobby except the models are just in a computer. It's next-level stupid.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Strangler 42 posted:

getting scammed is not a hobby. Telling everyone and yourself that you're having fun is a coping mechanism.

That's pretty much my point. It's not that the money is insane, it's that they're spending it on NOTHING.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

You fools don't know next-gen materials when you see them. It's supposed to look like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It's a habit of people who desperately want others to think they can act. People who can actually act just speak in their ordinary voice and let their work speak for itself.