Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

The Titanic posted:

So in a nutshell, I'd say no, somebody cannot just sit down and fix everything in a month.

They have years of tech debt and have built a decade of functionality on top of what amounts to a barely functional prototype.

You'd pretty much need to start over. :shrug:

I was discussing this in the GBS SC thread, that it seems like the whole thing has been built backwards. Instead of building the frame, i.e. getting all the main gameplay elements working and locked down, work on the netcode, keep the resources basic until you can actually have a big space battle or gun battle or even just fly a ship onto a different planet and land. THEN, once all of those things are working correctly you start building out the assets, making things look pretty, and fine tuning.

Instead they started with the smallest and most bizarre elements, and focused primarily on creating good 3d models even though the engine is already struggling mightily to apply them all correctly and the main gameplay loops are mostly nonfunctional. From the clips I see I get the sense that the code is already so incredibly complex that fixing even the most basic problem is a massive challenge and may even be impossible or instantly cause a bunch of other problems when you "fix" it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Azubah posted:

I lost any incentive to give the video any credit when they mentioned "hit piece" when the gaming press gave any sort of criticism of the game.

I thought the video, while not horrible, was exceedingly "fair" and even complimentary to Star Citizen, while glossing over a lot of the complaints and scandals and overselling what has been achieved. The whales will love it, let me tell you that much, because it speaks to their need to look like visionaries and gives tons of time to how incredible it "will" be when they finally introduce all this impossible stuff into the game.

For example, "GROUNDBREAKING TECHNOLOGY" my rectum, unless they mean literally breaking the ground in-game and falling into the core of the planet. Yeah they've thrown a whole lot of money at it and ended up with an incredibly buggy engine that probably won't ever be fixed, that doesn't make it groundbreaking. Especially if it, in the end, won't deliver almost everything they promised it would. Does anyone actually think there will ever be hundreds/thousands of worlds in this game that you can just up and visit, and a persistent universe of millions of players with seamless server melding between areas? Yeah, I kind doubt it. I just haven't seen any impressive technology. More like they've taken things things that work and made them not work in the interest of pointless and ultimately fatal complexity.

Bardeh posted:

This is insane, these people are loving insane.

:emptyquote:

That being said, I don't see the point of touching the poop and messing with these people in their forums. That's way too deep for me, I just want to watch and laugh as the whole thing crashes down in slow motion

Play fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 24, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

LostRook posted:

That's only 5000 fauX-wings. Chump change.

x-things

Prop Wash posted:

So they named a ship the M2 Hercules Starlifter? They couldn’t decide to rip off the nickname of the irl C-130 Hercules or the irl C-141 Starlifter so they just ripped off both of them and smashed them together? Fucks sake lol

lmao. classic

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I was wondering what the hell people were talking about with 'Lumberyard'. What a strange name. Stranger service though, if you can call it that (judging by that game list lol).

I know Amazon is producing an MMO where you literally have to pay for the convenience of fast travel so Star Citizen seems right up its alley

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Yeah I liked that too. 'Only the TRUE morons are allowed to see the prices on these ships because they are priced for only the richest of rubes and would make us look like the grifting conmen we are were everyone to see them'

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I was curious about Star Citizen on Amazon but apparently now it's that they are using Lumberyard which is a free game engine from Amazon? So have they already completely switched over from cryengine?

I was confused before, thought Lumberyard was a poorly-named games service from Amazon, not an engine.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

smellmycheese posted:

They really are proud of these stands where the server stares rigidly ahead and shouts the same stock phrase repeatedly aren’t they?

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/1397270155252666371

Wait wasn't this same shot or a very similar one roundly mocked when someone tried to use it as an example of the fantastic graphics in Star Citizen?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Blue On Blue posted:

It’s strange to me

I’ve played the crusader series as a kid , and enjoyed it

But I would have never known who created it aside from the splash screen that came up when you loaded in

When did we go from just playing video games to immortalizing the developers ?

I mean , I have over 500 hours into arma 3. And I also couldn’t tell you the names of anyone who worked on it

It just seems weird to me , aside from the ACTUAL household names like Sid Meier - he deserves the accolades

And also. Sid has kept it going since the 80s. He didn’t stop after 1 or 2 games and then just coast on his success, he’s been churning out games all through that time and many many of them were huge hits

There is definitely a video game subculture, if you are deep enough and nerdy enough, where people play extremely close attention to actual developers, their names, what they've worked on, what they're good at, etc. Even drama and when they switch companies or whatever. Like they're rockstars.

I mean, it's not THAT weird I guess, creators of all other types of media get that same attention and then some. But you could argue that it's exactly that mindset with led directly to this whole Chris Roberts fiasco.

Not something I'm interested in to say the least though, I tip my cap to the creators of good games but I have no interest in them as people. It's kind the same for music actually, I love music but usually don't know the most basic facts about the bands/artists I am listening to.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Invictus lol... so lame

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Deskeletonized posted:

They're not theories. They're real. Have you seen Tron? Tony Z and Crobbler basically built Tron, except better, because when everything is day-glo and neon you can't lurk in the shadows, preparing to explore SC's revolutionary surprise criminal erotic gameplay elements both with and against honest-to-god fully sentient quanta AI.

Fully rendered dick and balls including blood physics for added emergent gameplay in the fields of dismemberment and castration

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Bingemoose posted:

why did that just give me anxiety.

It's a super cool gif actually, when the gondola passed beneath them I didn't look too close and thought it was a truck, then was pretty amazed when that flying mammal just launches off hundreds of feet in the air lol

To answer your question, you're probably afraid of heights.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

So it's the community's fault for oversupporting the kickstarter which of course leads to too many stretch goals which of course leads to feature creep and is the root cause of all the overpromises and failures to deliver.

That is some logic

Play
Apr 25, 2006

TheAgent posted:

Store Chairizen: I cursed and shouted in the solitude of my gaming chair

a real modern day Henry David Thoreau

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Yeah, cause he still has an HDD built into his computer. Why.

I play the majority of my games from high speed (WD "Black" or whatever) HDDs. The reason is because I am addicted to collecting games and would have to pay at least 1,000 dollars if not twice that to move all my games to SSD. In fact, I'm not sure it's even possible because I might not have enough ports to put all those SSDs in, do those even come in 4/6/8 TB versions?

I have almost 20 TB of HDD space and at least 16 TB of that is filled

Play
Apr 25, 2006

trucutru posted:

Pro-tip life-hack: You can leave your game in your HDDs and temporally transfer the one(s) that you're currently playing to the SSD.

Not a bad idea although more effort than I usually need. Might be worth it for particular games that have long load times though, I'll try that out. Every now and then a game has gotten messed up during transfer which has scared me away from doing that too much.

e: although not when transferring with steam so that should be fine

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah, its basically an MLM (legal pyramid scheme), although just slightly less scummy since you aren't lead to believe you'll make money.

I'm convinced that if gamers actually knew half the poo poo CIG does they'd be the laughingstock of every website and news station, but nobody knows they exist, so gamers complain about EA's loot boxes while CIG is far worse.

For real. There has never been a game (much less a "game" in the style of Star Citizen) that demonstrates more deceptive, scummy, dishonest and abusive practices than Star Citizen. Full stop

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Khanstant posted:

lol so you just have all of your game collection sitting around installed?

Sure do. Bit of a digital hoarder but it doesn't cost me much, I just got a new 6 TB drive for under 200 bucks.

There are reasons for it too, including the fact that I've been collecting games for a long time and they aren't all in steam so if I got rid of them I wouldn't be able to get them back without the install package. And I'm always thinking I'm going to play them again, probably sometime next week

Thoatse posted:

In case anyone needs more Red And White Giant Flying Squirrel in their day

https://i.imgur.com/ot1tGjl.gifv

Can't think of a situation where this wouldn't apply tbh

trucutru posted:

I bought 128 optane drives for my rig. Not because I need the space but because one can never have enough single seater fighters that punch above their weight and the Sabre Raven is a beeauuuuuuty.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/promotions/intel-optane

And those things are between 500 and 1,000+ dollars each lol

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Why would you even need or want to "simulate" things like footprints? Just have a set footprint effect that gets added to each different surface as you move over it, there is absolutely no need to make it any more complex than that. Not sure if that's what they are saying or if they want a purpose-built physics algorithm to adjust their footprints depending on dozens of different factors lol

Play
Apr 25, 2006

trucutru posted:

Fidelity showcase, food edition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGifCo2zc0s

What other game could even get close? Just look at that burrito at 1:00!!! drat, that looks good.

Lacks fluid dynamics in the bean and sour cream effects, emergent carne asada gameplay hampered

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Okay here's a pitch, bear with me now: a video game of the entire earth and solar system in a 1:1 simulation and physics that are actually MORE accurate than reality itself and you go anywhere and do anything and also you can make people suck your dick and it will feel real good

Play
Apr 25, 2006

lmao at John Bones with the awful concern trolling then crying about getting his feelings hurt by being corrected

trucutru posted:

Super Mario Galaxy does it too and has much better orbital physics.

Outer Wilds, even though the planets were small by design, you could seamlessly explore tons of different solar system bodies, which all had varying gravity and characteristics. Perfected by a tiny indie studio

Play
Apr 25, 2006

look it's a baby star citizen! still in its infancy and composed only of concept art. blockchain is a great hook for whales though.

nature is incredible, isn't it

Zero_Grade posted:

I hadn't thought about it much before, but in hindsight it's entirely unsurprising that a huge portion of the SC community are supremely chuddy assholes (in addition to being idiots).

yeah, not remotely a surprise to me personally. There is some pushback in the comments, which is good, but it really gives you a good idea of the kind of person who gets themselves wrapped up in this kind of thing

Play
Apr 25, 2006

The strength of all this projection could put the CIG logo on the face of Pluto

Play
Apr 25, 2006

The Titanic posted:

Imagine trying to make a game in today's world where news has to be digested in Twitter-length posts, and even the school books are shortened to prevent kids from losing attention.

Focus is something that is from a bygone era and gaming isn't trying to bring it back any.

A large portion of focus left the world the moment I was born. Did it singlehandedly

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Absolutely nothing about an NFT game sounds like a good idea. Pretty much worst than any mobile gacha game.

There's literally a game out there, Earth2 I think it's called, that simply scams people by selling them squares in a grid.

The way they make that more attractive is that the grid is overlaid on an image of the earth. So you can purchase, say, the land plot of the empire state building or whatever. And it makes you feel like a big important capitalist investor or something.

Except in the end they are just squares in a grid and nothing more, of course. You are paying large amount of money for squares in a grid. There is also supposed to be a game of some sort but that obviously is not going to happen. It's truly incredible how easy it can be to get people to open their wallets and get scammed. Sometimes I wish I gave a poo poo about money or wanted more because it honestly is not that hard.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Armitag3 posted:

Lol, FOMO the Game. Fear Of Missing Out is the common thread between this latest hack game, SC, the scam MMO, etc. How many polygons, the blockchain, NFTs, whatever - those are straws that the whales grasp at to try and justify that, at the end of the day, they're paying for a ticket, for a seat that hasn't been installed, in a ride that hasn't been designed, in an fairground that hasn't been built, because they're sick of being inconsequential dust in this careless world.

They need to learn that being inconsequential dust in an uncaring universe, in point of fact, owns

Play
Apr 25, 2006

My theory is that promising an MMO works best on a certain kind of person which allows these scams to succeed. Promising a fighting game or boomer shoooter or whathaveyou just won't attract the right kind of person who is susceptible to these scams and the general FOMO feeling.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

The Titanic posted:

Rockstar could probably get closest. But not every company is Rockstar, with their level of talent and skill and years of game history allowing them to do this kind of thing.

Rockstar could never achieve the kind of things that Star Citizen is promising and has the good sense not to even try. Especially regarding this server meshing nonsense which along with a few other things is probably what I find most troublesome about their plans.

Does anyone know if the stars, planets, moons and satellites actually orbit and rotate in Star Citizen at this point in time?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I don't really understand why he didn't just make a better Freelancer. Just take the things in that game, bring them into the modern era, add some features and just in general make the game better and more fun with more content. This absolute mess they've come up with is ridiculous when that would've probably been funded nearly as much and actually be doable.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

FishMcCool posted:

Because he failed to make Freelancer in the first place.

What HAS he made? lol

marumaru posted:

Good post.

It's absolutely hilarious how that (somehow both self-aggrandizing and self-pitying at the same time) statement from Roberts lays out all of this stuff that they should've done differently and it's all stuff he is doing the same way or much worse now.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Bofast posted:

Kind of like how people might react to you wearing a NES style 2D Mario/Zelda t-shirt because it was part of their childhood.

the reaction of walking in the other direction at an abnormally high pace

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I feel like the UE5 hype is a bit much. There will be a serious advance in graphics but I think it will more or less follow the same upswing that it has been on for a while now, not a quantum leap. The trick with the photorealistic rocks isn't even going to work in many games and also won't work it many contexts I would assume. Like for the player character.

Not to mention that there is a long history of tech demos looking amazing and then failing to deliver to that extent, or being too difficult to work with, or various other issues. Even if it's none of those things only a small amount of large developers will truly be able to take advantage of it. At this point it's just marketing and a pretty demo, we'll see how it actually affects finished games

BitBasher posted:

gently caress no, are these poeple loving high?

lmao right? No. I'm not doing that. NO ONE should loving do that

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Rotten Red Rod posted:

That and if increased fidelity in games forces me to deal with scalpers to upgrade my GPU I will be loving pissed

I'm running a 1060 3 GB, trust me I know. Any new triple A game coming out is going to strain it extremely badly and we're already approaching the moment where I straight up will not be able to play new games. Of course, it never at any point could've handled Star Citizen lol but that's no big loss.

I have no clue where or how to go about remedying this. Everything is sold out so I just kinda shrug and hope eventually that will change. Guess I should've camped out at Best Buy for 3 days or some poo poo

Play
Apr 25, 2006

MostlyRandom posted:

by this point it looks like a 2 gens old game.
deadspace 3, alien isolation, mass effect 2, halo, were all ps3/360 era games (and most of those looked better back in the day than SC does now)
they also ALL would run better on a peasant console than SC does on a PC supercomputer today

This is definitely an exaggeration. Yeah it's starting to show its development age but it doesn't look totally awful. it's very inconsistent, that's for sure, and the assets are often very plain and boring but they don't look absolutely terrible for the most part. Plus generally MMO style games are given a pass to be a little less graphically fidelous (if that's a word) than single player games.

A much larger issue is general performance and netcode. And how they have delivered about 2.5% of what was originally promised

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Sarsapariller posted:

Subnautica is amazing, one of the best games I've played in the last 5 years. But I don't know if it's a sleeper, it's pretty widely acclaimed at this point

Maybe it WAS a sleeper in the sense that it far exceeded expectations as far as its success. But yeah it's a big thing now.

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

I think I get what they're saying, though. I've bounced off of Subnautica 4 times now, all within the first hour of gameplay. I know there is a ton more to it, but gathering those first scraps has made me lose interest.

Like someone else said I strongly recommend playing in freedom mode or whatever it's called where you don't have to worry about eating and drinking and can just look around for cool stuff and build things. Doing busywork to keep meters high is crap gameplay imo, the sense of discovery is the good stuff.

Already more entertaining than anything I've seen from the last ten years of Star Citizen development

Play
Apr 25, 2006

What does this even mean? Why does she have a box with her name on it? Why is it notable that a company is having a board meeting? I'm confused

lmao I love this one especially since you won't notice at all the first time you see it that it's not a kitten

It is a bit weird how they have managed to get actual legit investors onboard, although it's plausible that they also just represent whale fanboys. Other options: these people know nothing about video games and are just easily impressed, or they realize that CIG's ability to drain their own community of massive amounts of funding is relatively unique.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Daztek posted:

That's normal, please pledge more

In fact, pledge double what you normally would because we need to hire a bunch of new people

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Sarsapariller posted:

https://v.redd.it/ies51w9prg471/DASH_720.mp4

Citizens are going bananas, CIG has really nailed their target audience

'Ship, engage gimp configuration'

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Viscous Soda posted:

I have to give CIG credit, they are truly cutting edge at making stupid looking space ship JPGS. About 80% of the time their new designs leave me baffled, and this one goes above and beyond.

Seriously, why does it need to transform? What does it's transformation even do? Nothing about it makes sense.

You transform it into a kneeling gimp whenever the space ship has been a very bad boy, seems pretty obvious

Play
Apr 25, 2006

it's like the olympics of deliberately setting the lowest possible expectations and then pre-emptively attacking anyone who isn't convinced by your bullshit lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

William Bear posted:

There are three main alien races in Star Citizen that I know of. The Xi'an, who we're talking about, who are based on turtles.

The Vanduul, who are kind of ambiguously reptilian (they remind me of the Vorcha from Mass Effect).

And the Banu. I have no idea what they're supposed to be.

So Star Citizen is definitely overdue for a hairy mammalian alien race. Wallaby-men would be cool. Platypus-men or kangaroo-men would also be awesome.

I mean, to start with they are all bipedal and resemble humans MUCH more than they don't. Same general size, same number of limbs, same number and general placement of sensory organs, same brain case, etc. etc. Which is always funny to see in stuff like this, I thought we had come a but further since the original Star Trek. Hell original Star Wars was infinitely more creative in their alien designs despite having a lot of humanoid ones also.

Beyond that the Banu one is the only one with a hint of originality, it kinda looks cool. The other ones are just bleh