Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
The Wrestling Observer Newsletter Hall of Fame is a hall of fame voted for by current and former wrestlers, journalists, historians, and others employed in the industry. We'll use this thread to discuss the upcoming election and its candidates.

To be eligible, you must have been active for at least 15 years, or be 35 years old and have at least 10 years of experience.

Voters only vote in certain regions if they are knowledgeable enough to vote there. I think Dave said on the most recent Friday night show that he doesn't vote in the Rest of the World category. The regions are divided into:

Modern U.S. & Canada
Historical U.S. & Canada
Japan
Mexico
Rest of the World

Candidates must received 60% of the vote in their region to be elected. Candidates are dropped off if they don't received 10% of the vote, or if they have been on the ballot for 15 years and have received less than 50% of the vote.

2018's inductees were LA Park, Jerry Jarrett, Jimmy Hart, Bill Apter, Howard Finkel, Gary Hart, & Yuji Nagata.

From Wikipedia: "Voting criteria include the length of time spent in wrestling, historical significance, ability to attract viewers, and wrestling ability."

Returning candidates

I FOLLOWED THE HISTORICAL PERFORMERS ERA CANDIDATES
June Byers
Wild Bull Curry
Cowboy Bob Ellis
Don Fargo
Archie "Mongolian Stomper" Gouldie
Chavo Guerrero Sr.
Rocky Johnson
Jose Lothario*
Sputnik Monroe
Blackjack Mulligan
Johnny Rougeau
Dick Slater*
George Steele
Enrique Torres
Jimmy & Johnny Valiant
Von Brauners & Saul Weingeroff
Bearcat Wright

I FOLLOWED THE MODERN PERFORMERS IN U.S/CANADA CANDIDATES
Tully Blanchard & Arn Anderson w/J.J. Dillon
Junkyard Dog
Edge
Bill Goldberg
Matt & Jeff Hardy*
Rick Martel
Randy Orton
C.M.Punk
Sgt. Slaughter
Trish Stratus
Kerry Von Erich
Ultimate Warrior

I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN JAPAN CANDIDATES
Jun Akiyama
Cima
Satoshi Kojima & Hiroyoshi Tenzan
Yoshiaki Fujiwara
Hayabusa
Kota Ibushi
Tomohiro Ishii*
Tetsuya Naito
Kenny Omega
Meiko Satomura
Akira Taue

I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN MEXICO CANDIDATES
Los Brazos (Brazo de Oro & Brazo de Plata & El Brazo)
Caristico
Ultimo Guerrero
Karloff Lagarde
Los Misioneros de la Muerte (El Signo & El Texano & Negro Navarro)
Huracan Ramirez
Villano III
Volador Jr.*
Dr. Wagner Jr.

I FOLLOWED WRESTLING IN EUROPE/AUSTRALIA/NEW ZEALAND/PACIFIC ISLANDS/AFRICA
Sypros Arion
Big Daddy
Dominic DeNucci
Billy Joyce
George Kidd*
Killer Karl Kox
Mario Milano
Kendo Nagasaki
Jackie Pallo
Rollerball Mark Rocco
Johnny Saint
Ricki Starr
Otto Wanz

NON-WRESTLERS
Lord James Blears
Dave Brown
Bob Caudle*
Jim Crockett Jr.
Jim Crockett Sr.
Gedo
Jim Johnston
Larry Matysik
Stephanie McMahon*
James Melby*
Don Owen
Morris Sigel*
George Scott
Naoki Sugabayashi
Ted Turner
Stanley Weston
Grand Wizard*

Akiyama, Owen, & Villano III will be dropped from the ballot if they do not at least reach 50% this year.

Asterisks denote new additions to the ballot.

Punch McLightning fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I don't think Matt & Jeff make it but there is a case to be made and I want to read it. I laughed so much when Dave finally came around to the standard internet take on Orton. Good but not great. Had 4-5 drawing years but was given a position others can only dream of.
Now that Sting ruined everything there's no point but I really liked when the line for HOF was "Better than Edge.

Gedo is a no-doubter. Ted Turner should go in unless you have an issue with money men/TV people getting recognition. Turner and TBS are hugely important in the history of American wrestling.

I hope Dave keeps championing the case for Cima as an influential figure. Dude carried Dragon Gate to the #2 position in Japan while training and polishing a generation of talent.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Now that Sting ruined everything there's no point but I really liked when the line for HOF was "Better than Edge.

Uh I think you mean Dick Murdoch.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If I weren't banned from voting due to my support for ISIS I'd be voting for

Caristico
Brazos
Ultimo Guerrero
The Death Missionaries
Villano III
Dr. Wagner Jr.
Edge
CIMA

Gedo and Dave Brown in non Wrestlers.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

I don't think Matt & Jeff make it but there is a case to be made and I want to read it. I laughed so much when Dave finally came around to the standard internet take on Orton. Good but not great. Had 4-5 drawing years but was given a position others can only dream of.

Gedo is a no-doubter. Ted Turner should go in unless you have an issue with money men/TV people getting recognition. Turner and TBS are hugely important in the history of American wrestling.

I hope Dave keeps championing the case for Cima as an influential figure. Dude carried Dragon Gate to the #2 position in Japan while training and polishing a generation of talent.

CIMA was also pretty influential stylistically on US indy wrestling

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
ctrl+f Steiner

No results

Well I don't care.

Edit: well one thing, if Ultimo Guerrero doesn't get in this time I have no idea what the hells going on

Lid fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 17, 2019

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

ctrl+f Steiner

No results

Well I don't care.

Edit: well one thing, if Ultimo Guerrero doesn't get in this time I have no idea what the hells going on

He's like the 5th best candidate on the Mexico ticket.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

goldberg is the most famous guy on the list

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

none of those people are important except maybe 1 or 2 from mexico and arguably Ted turner but he may not have been as 'involved' as people want even though he saved pro wrestling. Some years the HoF should not put in anyone, but go the extra step to delete everyone who didn't get in and isn't still active.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Caristico is an absolute no brainer for me. Once in a generation star.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

there are over 220 people in the hall of fame but there should only be about 75. Certainly no more than 100 by the year 2025. there is no reason for people like triple h or chono to be in there. or carlos colón. so what if you lived somewhere and started doing wrestling there? induct ho ho lun next.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Hey friend maybe you should cool down and take a lap

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

you accidentally told that To me instead of Oney Lorcan on Twitter.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Cast your vote for the inventor of women's wrestling, Stephanie McMahon

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Big Daddy's year to shine.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

would gedo be the first person with a long career as an active wrestler to go in as a non wrestler?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I don't think Matt & Jeff make it but there is a case to be made and I want to read it.

Look at any 2006 indie show or any modern ladder match and it's hard to say the Hardys weren't deeply influential

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Get Big Daddy in there

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Kojima and Tenzan are stuck to each other again making both of their cases worse. The invidual discussion is so much more interesting that it's maddening they're just seen as a tag in 201X.

Any year without CIMA is a joke. I'd go for Meiko too.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Lid posted:

ctrl+f Steiner

No results

Well I don't care.

This is a list for normal wrestlers but Steiner is a genetic freak, and he's not normal

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Is Tomohiro Ishii's case actually good?

I mean, I want him to go into the Hall of Fame because he's been one of, if not the, best wrestlers in the world for more than half of this decade, his work is incredible, but he's not drawn a dime. And the first 2 decades of his career are mostly not talked about, in fact I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone wax lyrical about Ishii matches in World Japan or WAR or DDT or Zero One.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

For the most part he has worked the exact same match with everyone for the past six years. A lot of people think it is a ***** match but his work is very one dimensional, it depends on how much value you put on all of that. He's not particularly influential or move merch or tickets and anything before 2013 is not worth talking about.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

I love Tomohiro Ishii, but he is not a hall of famer.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Cage Kicker posted:

This is a list for normal wrestlers but Steiner is a genetic freak, and he's not normal

I was including Rick in that, that the Steiner Brothers aren't in or even nominated is a huge headscratcher.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lid posted:

I was including Rick in that, that the Steiner Brothers aren't in or even nominated is a huge headscratcher.

Not really, they weren't a draw in this country and their peak as a great team was a few years. It's not surprising at all they weren't voted in and there's no reason to put them on the ballot in 2019.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The Steiners and Harlem Heat are pretty much the same team

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Orton is really bad, when you consider how naturally gifted he is, the push he got how little he did with it. Hard to even think of someone get less out of more.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
I don't think Orton deserves to get in just for being two of the big opponent's that made Cena and modern WWE. If Orton gets in Edge should absolutely get in though.

Hardyz should get in for how they've been able to stay relevant in some form for so long and innovating tag team wrestling not only in WWE during that time but also for the independents. You can possibly argue that if there were no Hardy Boyz there would be no Young Bucks which would very possibly lead to no AEW.

Ishii's best case is in his in ring accomplishments and how recently Metlzer's high praise for him and his matches has help raise his stock in people's eyes.

I can see Wagner Jr being an easy in. The guy got a big draw and payoff for putting hair extension on the line in a wager match, he's the GOAT.

CIMA is a dude that should have been in awhile ago just for his eye for talent and how his promotion has shaped a lot of indie wrestling and in extension wrestling as a whole.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

any criteria that gets orton in and keeps goldberg out is faulty

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

If the best thing that could be said about a wrestler is "He's really good when he cares about the match", then that guy ain't HOF material.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Nakamura is in.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

Meiko should be a gimme. Same goes for Akiyama.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

How the hell is Johnny Saint not in the HOF yet?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

super macho dude posted:

How the hell is Johnny Saint not in the HOF yet?

All the UK & etc people either don't have enough votes or their spread too much between each other, it was the same problem with a hand full of the Mexican wrestlers too.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Davros1 posted:

If the best thing that could be said about a wrestler is "He's really good when he cares about the match", then that guy ain't HOF material.

shawn michaels is in

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Shawn Michaels absolutely should not be in

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Why did Bret Hart go in during the same year as Hulk Hogan, after leading WWF through its worst times ever, and very soon after, handing the reins off right before its best times ever? We would later Find out that Bret did nothing else. and shawn Michaels is the same as X-Pac

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
i'm only voting for the Hardy Boyz

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

KungFu Grip posted:

All the UK & etc people either don't have enough votes or their spread too much between each other, it was the same problem with a hand full of the Mexican wrestlers too.
Yeah, Wanz should be in as well, considering his importance to keeping the business alive in Germany and Austria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012

Thauros posted:

would gedo be the first person with a long career as an active wrestler to go in as a non wrestler?

Bobby Heenan?