Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Anyone see IT 2 yet? I'm going to go see it in about 45 minutes. It'll probably be empty this late on a Thursday so I'm going to bring my pen with me and smoke up right in the theater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
How in the living daylights has no one (not comically) mentioned The Exorcist yet? Best horror movie of all time. I watch it numerous times a year. I need to read the book. I love movies that take a long, slow time to build up the horror. Just like Jaws. You don't even see the shark until halfway through the movie. It's such a good way of doing things. I loving hate jump scares. What a cheap cop out. Anyone can do that. Show a quick thing and play a loud noise. Boom, horror.

The Thing
Stephen King's IT
Nightmare on Elm Street 1, 3, New Nightmare

I'm leaving soon but I'll post more probably. What was surprising was the 2009 Friday the 13th movie. It did horrible and got terrible reviews and I don't get it. It was the perfect Jason movie. All of the elements were there. I mean, I guess it still is a Jason movie so you have to take that with a grain of salt but comparing the 2009 Friday to other Friday movies, it's good.

Also the Blair Witch Project is the worst movie I've ever seen. Not horror, just the worst. Besides the Star Wars Holiday Special. I worked at a movie theater at the time and the retards going in to watch it all thought it was real. It was one of the first found footage movies that sparked a whole genre of terrible motion sickness inducing movies. I don't get it. I saw it in the theater and the only "scary" part was the last 5 seconds of the movie and I didn't even understand why it was supposed to be scary. They try to do a slow build up but fail miserably since the tension barely gets worse. Some small things start happening here and there that elude to something going on but it's so cheap (I know it's a budget film) and the acting is so poor. Really takes me out of it.

I should watch it again since it makes me so mad that people actually like it. Maybe that I'm older I'll have a new take on it.

Edit: sweet. Got the whole theater to myself. Reclining seat, buttered popcorn, unsweetened iced tea, and my pen.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 27, 2019

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

It was alright. I didn't like it as much as the first movie, despite this one having some actors that I do really like in it. The ending feels weak.

I just saw it. I really didn't like the first movie very much. IT 2 wasn't bad but there were some parts that were like, "ugh, really?" I don't like CGI stuff but it wasn't TOO over the top. They used a lot though. I thought the editing and pacing were a bit weird but I liked how a lot of the flashbacks work out. Of course they did stuff a lot different than the book/Stephen King's IT but they didn't veer off terribly.

Not sure if you caught The Thing reference:

The severed head starts growing the legs and Richie says "You gotta be loving kidding m..." SCREEEEEEE

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 27, 2019

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Take the monster from Bev's apartment

That was something that was one of those "ugh, really?" moments. It's supposed to be Bev's dad in the book and the original IT but it looked like Violator from Spawn. The creepy movements of the old woman was nice but poo poo.

That looks like Anne Hathaway.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

naem posted:

a very nice young lady you should totally invite to your place

Wait a sec. Are you lying?

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Sep 28, 2019

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I didn't really like that movie. I'm with your wife and kids.

Like, not in a weird way.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Moon Atari posted:

Room 1408 is good fun. I like it for just how much of a mean spirited hater the room is. Most ghostly supernatural movies have the thing act without obvious emotion, or like a simple predatory animal that just attacks and kills you. But Room 1408 is a total rear end in a top hat.

"Gerald Olin: It's an evil loving room."

I loved that movie. I think I saw it in the theater. I didn't know it was a Stephen King story but coincidentally I owned it and read it a few years ago. It's really short and everything escalates pretty quickly.

Also yeah. There is one lovely ending and one good one. I can't remember which one it is for sure but I'm pretty sure the theatrical version has the good one.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

funkybottoms posted:

a couple others that i don't think have come up are Near Dark, a gritty, western-ish vampire movie with Bill Paxton and Lance Henriksen and directed by Kathryn Bigelow

Sign me up.

I just looked it up and Jenette Goldstein (Vasquez) is in it. It's an Aliens reunion.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
My days and nights are completely reversed right now so I've been watching a lot of movies in the wee hours of the night/morning since there isn't quite a lot to do at 4am.

Last night:

Friday the 13th The New Blood
Friday the 13th VII
Friday the 13th VIII Jason takes Manhattan (a personal favorite) One sided albeit losing boxing match. "Take your best shot." Jason punches head off.
Jason X (another personal favorite since it's quite self-aware)
Poltergeist

I like all of the Jason movies. Freddy is my favorite but I only like 1, 3, and New Nightmare although 2 is pretty good for funny reasons. Jason is much more campy which adds a lot of humor, intentionally or not.

I want to watch a few that I've never seen before but I always have these movies on in the background since I'm browsing the forums or playing a game or something else. I really want to pay attention. I want to see Near Dark that someone mentioned earlier but I want to remember it.

I'll probably throw a few more on tonight that I've also seen 100 times before. We'll see.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

defaultluser posted:

My favorite scary movie is Aliens. Surprised nobody mentioned it yet. That is a slow-burn start that's actually interesting.

I like the cut of your jib sir.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Last night was Predators and AvP. I don't know why, they're on my USB drive plugged into my TV and they aren't really horror movies as much as action movies. I showed my friend Event Horizon two days ago and he liked it. I forgot how scary that movie is.

The Dregs posted:

If any of you guys haven't seen Candyman, you really, really need to.

We were looking at watching that too but I figured he wouldn't be too into it. I saw it once on the SA Scream Stream a few years ago and it was great. I'll have to watch that maybe tonight.

btw, Scream Stream 7 is going on for the month of October. Every Fri, Sat, and Sun at 7:30pm central. This year is international films and wooh boy, it's been a wild ride so far.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
We watched Chopping Mall on the Scream Stream one night and it was a hit. So ridiculous.

I watched Near Dark last night but I was quite drunk so I don't remember most of it. I'll have to watch it again. It was not quite what I expected.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

bradzilla posted:

I watched The Sixth Sense last night and it's overall good but lol at the twist being that Bruce Willis is dead.

I saw it in the theaters when I was younger had had no idea. :saddowns:

bradzilla posted:

Also M Night Shyamalan loving loves making cameos in his own movies.

Stephen King does that sometimes. He was in the new IT 2 movie and he did a loving horrible job in a story in Creepshow 2 I believe. Also Stan Lee of course and Robert Shay from New Line likes to be in Freddy movies.

I watched Curse of Chucky and Cult of Chucky last night. I liked both of them a lot. I saw Curse in a Scream Stream once a few years ago and didn't really remember it. Both have Brad Dourif's daughter in it and she does really well. She plays a wheelchair bound girl who, well, starts getting stalked by Chucky. Some stuff happens and in Cult she's in a mental hospital and I love mental hospital movies.

Cult is on Netflix atm.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Coolness Averted posted:

Not true, the first is good!
I mean the sequels are very much in the 'just try to redo the original' school of sequels. But the first has a few great little things going for it, between fake outs about what characters you're supposed to root for, or expect to survive.

The cop was an rear end in a top hat murderer. Go figure.

Last night I watched a few movies but I was admittedly half in the bag.

Child's Play 2019. Eh, not great. Mark Hamill does the voice of Chucky which is neat but he doesn't really ham it up which would have been nice. There was a huge stupid point though. Chuck was originally just a talking doll that you'd find anywhere. This one is a super advanced doll with robocop type vision. It was insane.

The Last Exorcism. A fraud pastor helps a girl who is possessed (possibly) and then finds out that maybe she isn't faking and he doesn't really know what to do since he fakes everything. Eh, it's not terrible. Although it's found footage shaky cam and I hate that stuff. The girl is really innocent which makes it kinda creepy. I barely remember the last part, I went to sleep.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
That's terrible. Good thing I passed out.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
All fan theories are loving stupid.

The writers and director say what's happening but they're like "But what's really happening? I have a 10 page idea that proves the Joker was actually Goebbels."

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I watched the 4th episode of American Horror Story 1984 last night. The first two episodes were pretty decent but it just got crazy and stupid. I keep forgetting who's the bad guy and who made who do what and why.

This is why I don't watch TV series. They are so long that they keep having to one-up themselves and it just gets insane. Plus I hate waiting a week for a new episode to come out. It is very much not worth the wait. But It's Always Sunny is worth it. Then again, you can watch any episode of that show in any order and you'll get a complete idea, struggle, and "resolution" in 22 minutes.

I might try The VVitch tonight. Not sure yet.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Right now I'm watching Poltergeist since it's on TV right now. Classic movie. I love how fun and magical is at the beginning and the the poo poo hits the fan.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Watching Exorcism of Emily Rose right now. I honestly love this movie. Yeah, it's slow and long but I'll be damned if Jennifer Carpenter didn't give it her all.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Well to be honest I'm not a huge fan of The Shining either. Decent film but far too slow for me. Lots of dead shots of just not moving the camera in hallways or whatever of the hotel. Is it a classic movie? Sure it is! But it doesn't do it for me. The acting is great but again, too slow. And I'm a HUGE fan of slow burns building up like halfway through the movie or longer but this was just too boring for me.

Now I shouldn't say this but the book is fantastic. I know it's not the movie but if anyone likes the movie then they should read the book. One of my favorite King books.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Frankenstyle posted:

Shhhh...I love you.

:glomp:

I just know that books/movies are very very different and it can be really stupid to bring it up but this one needs mentioning.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Someone has a very similar AV from this I think.

Anyway, I just watched Green Room on Netflix from the recommendation of the horror/scream stream discord chat. I would absolutely not classify it as horror, and they didn't say so, but it's a good thriller.

Basically a punk band goes to a skinhead show because they are hard on for cash. They witness something bad and have to hole themselves up in a room to prevent the nazis from killing them. It's decently exciting and poo poo... Patrick Stewart plays the lead skinhead. Can't go wrong with that.

I found it enjoyable. I might be biased though because I like seeing Nazis get shot in the chest with a shotgun. :shrug:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Exorcist III last night.

God drat Brad Dourif is one of America's best actors. I haven't seen 2 and heard that was a train wreck but 3 is great. George C. Scott does an excellent job of playing the detective from the first and Brad Dourif plays the Gemini killer who uses a bunch of sacrilegious motifs in his killings. But...... he's in a psych ward. So how is he doing this?

Probably Dourif's best role. He's the voice of Chucky and in LotR as Wormtongue. Just so loving creepy. And part of it being in a hospital makes it even more creepy.

Great movie. You should check it out. Not a blockbuster of course but it's just really..... unsettling but without showing or doing a ton. Just the acting sells it. Good poo poo.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Jacob's Ladder

well then

This is a weird, but good, movie. A vietnam vet has flashbacks of getting hurt in 'nam and having a family and his new life. It's like Inception basically. Constant going back and forth between the memories. There's the nam stuff, a conspiracy, sickness, drugs, death, etc. It's easy to follow though and you'll probably learn what's happening but it's creepy as poo poo. Some interesting effects like the super fast moving head/movement shakes that became big in horror movies of the early 2000s.

I wouldn't classify it as a horror even though it has some horror elements. But it's a mind gently caress and extremely unsettling. You should watch it.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Crosspost from the "I just watched IT 2" thread or something.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I'll try to make this brief. lol

So I saw it at 10:10pm on a Thursday maybe a week or two after it came out. There were maybe 6 other people in the theater with me so I brought my weed pen and got hosed up before the movie, and halfway through. First off, it was better than the first movie (new IT), but that isn't saying much since every time I rewatch the first one I like it even less. The actors are pretty drat good and Bill Hader steals the show. I have a man crush on McAvoy though but he did alright.

The beginning scene was pretty loving brutal and was similar to the book. A gay couple gets jumped by some bigots and one of them gets the poo poo beat out of him so bad that I felt uncomfortable sitting in the theater. It was very unsettling. So that kinda sucked.

There's a lot I don't remember. I'd have to watch it again which I'm sure but I was really put off by the CGI. It was just so unnecessary and over the top it just look ridiculous. Case in point, one of my favorite scenes in Stephen King's IT... Bev's dad's house. It was terrifying how they slowly built up the old woman doing creepier and creepier things and then boom, ghost zombie dad. Well, the "dad" was different in this movie. Here is a pic I took of the screen:

Yes. It's Violator from Spawn.

I was obviously troubled by that since I really liked that scene in the original. Look at the screenshot again, then watch the movie. You know I'm right.

The ending was a huge CGI fest that was cold and dark and had no feeling to it. Yes, they had the spider which was in the book and original but again, just way over the top.

If I don't see IT 2 ever again I would not care. Still better than the new IT 1 though. I absolutely would watch it again though if it were free. Richie (bill hader) actually makes funny comments and jokes and they couldn't pull that off in any other IT movie. Harry Anderson was just terrible at jokes since it was 1990 and Richie in the new IT 1 just had a foul mouth like all of the other kids. Wow, saying "gently caress" is a joke. Hilarious.

3/5 balloons.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

OxMan posted:

I know this probably belongs in the hills you're willing to die on thread but the first paranormal activity sucks loving balls and nothing "happens" or "goes down" until the literal last scene in the movie which, if you've ever seen a preview for, you've already seen because that's the payoff for an hour and a half of nothing and nothing else happens so they had to use it. My partner and I have been getting through a lot of movies recommended in this thread and I'd rather watch under the skin again or the surprisingly wet fart hereditary than sit through the most boring "horror" movie ever made, garbage rear end paranormal activity.

I was going to say something but figured, eh not worth it. But those are my thoughts exactly. It's not even a slow buildup. There is no build. Just minor things barely happening at a constant pace and then something happens at the very end which wasn't scary. Like Blair Witch.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I saw Hausu in the Scream Stream last night.

That's uh... well that movie sure is something. It's a Japanese movie made in 1977. I don't know about everyone else but I saw some huge precursors to anime. I really don't know how to describe this movie. It's so over the top and insane. Basically a bunch of school girls go to a house and it's sort of haunted. I guess. I don't know. It was really fun though even though my brain couldn't process a lot of what was happening.

I don't know if I can recommend smoking weed before watching it. I did, but I really could have used all of my mental faculties to try to understand wtf is happening.

It really isn't my style and I don't know why I like it but I actually recommend this movie.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Facebook Aunt posted:

I like spooky movies.

:hmmyes:

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I watch cable (sorry I'm lame) and there's a ton of horror movies on. Right now I'm watching the 2013 Carrie movie and I think it's good.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I don't know if anyone has copyright claims over that or they probably don't even care due to the nature of it. They would probably be more happy if people shared it now.

We watch it every year at the SA Scream Stream.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Recently I (again) watched Curse of Chucky and Cult of Chucky. They're both great for what they are. And Brad Dourif's daughter, Fiona Dourif, is the main character in both which is just awesome.

I also finally saw Trick 'r Treat yesterday and thought it was pretty good. Sam is so adorable. :3:

edit: here's a toy of Sam because a 30 second search didn't give me what I wanted

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

fauna posted:

thank the lord those guys who used to do those awful parody movies in like 2005 aren’t active anymore or we would have ended up with something called “the bvitch” where the goat raps

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
In last nights Scream Stream we watched In the Mouth of Madness and Friday the 13th Part V: A New Beginning. The whole theme this year is movies that were hated by critics.

In the Mouth of Madness was great. Sam Neil is awesome in everything and the movie is a slow devolution into... well... madness. Sam is investigating a writer who makes these books that make people crazy and it goes downhill the more he learns. I recommend it.

F13 part 5 was another Jason movie. It's not my favorite but I still like it. I like all of them to be honest. I think my favorite is Jason Takes Manhattan but there's so many to choose from. This one is in like a halfway house and Tommy Jarvis is suffering from bad PTSD and then ol' Jason comes along and he has to deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Nightmare on Elm Street marathon on SyFy right now. I've been watching a few hours of it.