Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hell yes.

Im going to shoot for the standard 31 this year, but I also have a specific personal challenge set going to try, ABCs of Horror; I'm going to watch a movie that starts with each letter of the alphabet in order, the challenge being that they're all going to be movies I've never seen before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

1: 1922
ABCs: #

Figured I’d stretch my goal out a bit and a numbered title to this, especially since it looked like everyone else watched this last year and I didn’t get around to it.

Pretty bleak stuff here. I’m a big Thomas Jane fan and he’s good here, but the movie itself definitely drags a bit in the middle, probably would have worked better as a shorter film or if the murder didn’t happen so early on.
Overall though well acted, setwork was really good, and even if it dragged a bit it was a good, very Poe inspired tale. Bleak as hell though.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Doing A tonight and my choices are Anguish or All Cheerleaders Die, which one is less bad?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Darthemed posted:

Anguish from '87 or 2015?

Must be 15, it looked recent

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Franchescanado posted:

SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #1: The Best Month

Does White God count? Listed as a drama there but I have seen it on shudder I'm pretty sure

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

STAC Goat posted:

I'm debating burning a Kanopy borrow on Vanishing. Autopsy of Jane Doe would be the easiest thing to watch but its also probably the lamest thing to watch. Otherwise maybe Vampyr but it feels a tad redundant with my years (I already have 3 other must watches from 1932).

Decisions, decisions.

edit: Check it. Vanishing is one of those "Criterion not actually available in your country Kanopy ones." Ok, decision made easier.

Jane Doe is actually really good

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

2: Anguish (2015)
ABCs: A

A young girl dealing with some mental health issues may actually be possessed.

This was a little frustrating, as it’s one of those movies that comes close to being really good but just doesn’t stick the landing. The first half or so is pretty slow and boring, with a few decent jump scares and not much else, then it has a bit of a twist and sets up an interesting premise, but it really doesn’t follow through. I’m guessing due to budget concerns, as this was pretty clearly made without one. There’s also some weird ambiguity around a few things, especially the ending.
All in all it’s far from the worst movie I’ve ever seen, but there are so many movies that do everything this one tried to do better that I don’t think I could recommend it to anyone.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Windows 98 posted:

:siren: I need help! :siren:

Ok so today is the night I officially start my personal challenge. I am doing 1 movie per letter of the alphabet, and I must not have seen it yet. With 5 additional free-picks after (also must not have seen it). I'm trying to knock off suggestions from other people and movies that I somehow just never got around to. I have my 26 films, and then 2 additional films already. I need 3 more movies. Please suggest me some of your top tier obscure picks that you'll go to the mat for. Don't worry about where they are available. Just looking for some suggestions!

Here is the current list: https://letterboxd.com/nerdtime/list/31-days-of-halloween/

I'm doing the exact same challenge just watch whatever I watch 👍

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Hey hey, look what just happened to pop up on my B night

3: Body Bags
ABCs: B

This one comes up a lot and has been on my list for years, so when I pulled up shudder and saw it’d been added it was no contest. This movie is just pure, unrelenting fun (although the last one is a bit darker than the other two). It’s a very Tales from the Crypt inspired anthology from John Carpenter and Tobe Hooper (including Carpenter doing his best cryptkeeper in the tie in bits). It’s got a pretty stacked cast and has cameos from pretty much anyone involved in horror at that point, the stories as I mentioned are all pretty fun and well done, and you get to see Mark Hamill’s rear end! Strong recommend

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

4: Cold Skin
ABCs: C

Ray Stevenson plays Col Kurtz on an island, when Friend (no really that’s his name) shows up. Turns out the Island occasionally gets swarmed by deep ones and paranoia, mass murder, and friendship ensue. This was a neat one, with some surprisingly good makeup and effects. Both leads are good, though the story was fairly boilerplate and could have lost a good 20 minutes.
Probably the second best movie about 2 dudes in a lighthouse I’ll see this year!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

5: Demons
ABCs: D

Little late on this one but finally got around to seeing it. I'd say it's a mixed bag; I like the moodiness, the makeup and effects are cool, the movie within a movie is a neat conceit and it's just fun to see a zombie movie with a bit of a twist. Also that leader/pimp guy loving rules.
It does go on a bit long though, could probably have trimmed off 20 minutes or so to make it a lot more fun. I didn't love it but I'm still interested in checking out part 2 this month.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

6: Escape Room
ABCs: E

I mean, it's what I expected it to be. I love doing escape rooms so I was interested in it when it first came out, but I'm fully aware it's a PG13 Saw. If you go in with that expectation it's fine, the rooms are interesting and the cast is decent. The franchise hook stuff is pretty lame and it should have ended about 10 minutes before it did, but it was a perfectly enjoyable dumb popcorn movie

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Alright sweet, glad I got held up for a couple days because I was planning on doing this anyways

7: The Fly (1958)
ABCs: F

SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE #2: Dead & Buried
RIP David Hedison

Starts strong, kind of drags in the middle, then has a pretty solid and bonkers ending, which loses some omph with the 50s tacked on happy ending.
I think this is one that definitely suffers from being in the cultural zeitgeist for over half a century in the same way as films like Psycho or Planet of the Apes; it's a mystery really built on the big reveal, but you know what that reveal is before the movie even starts so you really feel the filler.
It is nice to see Vincent Price in a normal guy role, you see him as so many campy creeps that you forget he's a legitimately great actor and brings a lot of pathos to the role.

8: Goosebumps 2
ABCs: G

I absolutely devoured these books when I was a kid, but even then I knew they weren't exactly high art, so when they made the movie I assumed it was going to be hot garbage, but its actually a really enjoyable movie that I'd like to rewatch at Halloween time.
The sequel isn't terrible, but it's definitely a step down in basically every way. Even from a reference point it's based on an unfinished lost goosebumps book so other than some extremely short monster scenes and Slappy being the villain again, there's not much there for fans or anything. I'm also still unsure how I feel about the R. L Stine role in this one They call him for help early on and you get multiple scenes of him gearing up and heading out, only for him to arrive a few minutes after the kids solve everything
If it's intentional it's pretty funny, but it feels like they just didn't know what to do with him. There's also no mention of his daughter, and they use him for a sequel hook that seems weird when this was already a fairly unenthusiastic cash in that didn't feel like a franchise push.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

9: Hausu
ABCs: H

Holy poo poo, this movie is utterly ridiculous and completely amazing, I love it so much. I’d heard of it before but hadn’t gotten around to seeing it, but it was this month’s subject on a Faculty of Horror and we always like to watch the movies before listening,
I kind of knew what to expect but I don’t think anything can really prepare you for it. It’s like David Lynch binged a bunch of Japanese soap operas and then ate some bad clams and we’re in his nightmare. As most people bring up it looks gorgeous and I loved the bizarre, non stop music. Also Kung Fu really is so cool.
See this ASAP.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I don't know why Prince of Darkness doesn't get more love. It's one of my favorite Carpenter movies, it's just such a bonkers concept and a really solid film

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Bruteman posted:

I think Carpenter has made technically better films (Halloween and The Thing to name two), but Prince of Darkness is easily my all-time favorite of his and one of my top-five horror films. It suffers because the characters aren't as strong as in his other films, it's a super slow burn, and the "bonkers concept" is a little too much for some (all the quantum science stuff is in there because Carpenter just thought it was cool), but as mentioned above, if you can get into it, the dread the film creates is second to none - it really nails the feeling of a "waking nightmare."

You make a good point with the characters. Not having Kurt Russell probably hurt it more than anything

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Basebf555 posted:

But the real root of that issue is that the story just didn't go anywhere I wasn't expecting it to. The characters arrive at an idyllic, yet still off-putting commune and for any genre fan you kinda know right from the beginning where this is all going. The ending is precisely the expected one given how these stories typically go, and the path it takes to get there is also pretty straightforward. There are no real deviations along that path that maybe would've made for a more interesting journey.

This is actually what I loved about it. Where Hereditary plays a lot on the viewer not knowing what the hell is going on and the terror that instills, Midsommar broadcasts absolutely everything in advance, from all the prophetic art to characters just outright saying what's going to happen later. In an age of twists thrown into everything I really loved seeing something just wear it's heart on its sleeve like that and be so open about it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

10: In the tall grass
ABCs: I

Patrick Wilson is just delightful and he should be in more stuff. This was fine, if nothing special. I do agree with others that it suffers from its length, I think it would have benefited from either being a short, or leaning into it and doing more on the “how and why” as a 3 parter or something like that. It feels like a good old fashioned King story though and I’m glad we’re finally starting to get good adaptations recently.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I really liked Hell house but skipped part 2 because of this thread. It sounds like 3 is worth checking out but will it be worth it without watching 2 or is there a bunch of stuff I won't follow?

Also are we counting the new Are You Afraid of the Dark? It's a 3 parter but it's technically just one movie split into parts and total runtime will like be a bit over 2 hours. I'm watching it with my son either way but want to know if I should count it or not

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 17, 2019

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Is Lighthouse a limited release or something? It's my most anticipated one this month but all I can find is a single showing 3 hours away

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Oh God I'm behind on everything.

11: Joker
ABCs: J

I'm a pretty big comics guy, but when this was announced it seemed like the worst idea ever. Then Phoenix was cast and Scorcese was going to direct and I was interested, and then it went to Todd Philips and some rather disastrous interviews happened . I've been going back and forth on it and probably would have waited for it to be streaming, but it was my buddy's birthday and he wanted to go.

It actually turned out a lot better than I expected. I think with someone else behind the wheel this could have been a major classic. As is, it's entertaining and Phoenix really is terrific, but I feel like it suffers from its source material; if it were its own thing it would have been a lot better (although it also wouldn't have made 800 million dollars)

12: Kuntilanak
ABCs: K
Challenge 4: inktober: Ornament

This was ok, pretty straightforward little story about a group of kids who come across a haunted mirror. The monster look was actually pretty effective but nothing else really stands out. I do kind of love how they defeat her though They have to drive a nail though her head. Not the most supernatural of weaknesses
I was going to use this for the tourist challenge but then I realized The Raid is Malaysian and I've seen that plenty. It does however suit the ibktober challenge nicely, either for Ornament (the mirror itself is very ornamental) or bait (the Kuntilanak lures children who need a mother's love)

13: The Addams Family (2019)
Challenge 6: Sometimes they come back

Hopefully this counts as a remake, if not I can try and make it up later I have a few on my list that could work.
I enjoyed this, but it's definitely geared towards a younger crowd (my 7 year old liked it a lot but he didn't really remember the Raul Julia version). I appreciate them using the more classic designs, and the cast was pretty spot on. A friend and I have a long standing debate on who would be the best live action Gomez in a full remake, and Oscar Issac was our current pick before this was announced, so it's nice to see (Er, hear). Theron is also a great pick for Morticia, though I'm not a fan of the accent she's using here.

14: Mercy
ABCs: M

I'm skipping L for now because I really, really want to see Lighthouse and I'm holding out hope that my lovely small city will get it next weekend.
This is a Netflix original from a few years back where a pair of brothers come back home to see their dying mother. Also there are their stepfather and 2 half brothers.
There's some intruige around an inheritance, and things quickly escalate into kind of a home invasion movie. There's some pretty solid twists and turns here, although I don't quite get the last twist at the end.
One note though is to skip the trailers, there's a pretty clever twist midway through that the trailer goes and shows you.

15: November
ABCs: N
Challenge 5: Tourist Trap

I feel pretty sure that I've never seen anything from Estonia before so this should count.
This is one of those movies I want to like more than I did, but it's actually grown on me a bit over the last couple nights since watching it. It's got that fable quality a lot of eastern European stuff does, and it is absolutely gorgeous in super saturated black and white.
The story is a bit meandering, but if you like that sort of dreamlike Bergman feel this is a pretty solid choice.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Which terrible SyFy giant monster vs movie should I sit through?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah the Suspiria's aren't like an Apples to Oranges thing, it's more like Apples to Smoked Salmon. I loved the new one a lot but it's very very loosely tied to the first and if you go in expecting that you're going to be disappointed

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

16: Overlord
ABCs: O

After so many grungy small scale films, it's nice to see something with a budget. This was a fun ride with some good old fashioned nazi mad science. I also appreciate how they show how awful war is, too; the movie is still plenty horrifying in the first half before any monsters show up. Only real issue I had was that they played it quiet with a lot of the how and why. Over explaining can definitely kill a movie, but I feel like this could have used a little more backstory.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

17: People Under the Stairs
ABCs: P
challenge: horror noire

This is one of the bigger ones I’ve been meaning to get around to. Unfortunately it was just on AMC so it was an edited version, but still pretty good. It’s a very strange trip though; it’s almost a kids movie but it’s just a bit too far even by 80s standards. Also it’s got to be one of the hardest movies to describe I’ve ever seen. Seriously, imagine trying to describe it to someone who knew nothing about it. I don’t think I’ll ever watch it again but I’m glad I got it off my list after all these years. Also it’s weird as hell that Big Ed and Nadine are the couple.

18: Q the Winged Serpent
ABCs: Q

One thing I love about 80s cinema is how unashamedly weird it is. And here we have a weird movie with a weird concept, with two weird main characters played by two very weird men (I have a soft spot for Michael Moriarty but he is a nutcase. I don’t think I need to point out Carradine’s mental health here). It’s not a good movie, but there’s just something about it that grabbed me and I can see why it’s a cult classic.

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Oct 23, 2019

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

19: Silence of the Lambs

I live in a small city with two theatres, so we don't get a lot of cool stuff. Last year they showed psycho but I managed to be working every day they did, this year though we had a Halloween miracle and they ran this on a night where me and my partner were both free.

What can I say about this that hasn't been said? Or hell, what you don't know? If you're somehow in this challenge without having seen it you need to fix that now. It's one of the best, most important horror films of all time, featuring an absolutely iconic, archetype-creating role from Hopkins as he completely dominates the movie.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

If someone wants to give me a wildcard starting with S that’d be great. I have netflix, shudder, and amazon (Canada).

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Random Stranger posted:

The Stuff is available on Amazon Prime and everybody can't get enough of that wonderful stuff.

Seen it ages ago unfortunately. Also not a big gorehound

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

20: Resident Evil Vendetta
ABCs: R
Challenge 9: Hackers

Chris and Leon team up to fight a bad guy who wants to unleash a virus. However that description makes you feel, that’s how you’ll feel at the end of this movie, there are no surprises to be had here. Leon does some crazy anime poo poo, Chris punches things, bad guy hams it up, zombies eat people, they fight a giant monster at the end, etc. I’m a fan of the games so I liked it well enough, but it’s nothing revolutionary.

21: One Cut of the Dead
Challenge 10: Navel gazing

I’d never even have heard of this if not for the thread, so good fit for the challenge here. I’ll echo what everyone else said, go in blind and give it a chance. the middle bit drags on a bit, but the last third won me back it’s just really fun and charming.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

22: Godzilla vs Megalon
Challenge 7: monster mash

This one owns. The human storyline is fairly interesting, and also as insane as a lot of later Toho stuff, but we're here for giant monsters and you get them.
Megalon is really cool and it's nice to see something different like him, Gigan is one of my favourite kaiju designs, and Jet Jaguar kicks all kinds of rear end. Godzilla's hyped up intro and goofy WWE moves only add to the charm

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I think I screwed myself over here. The only X movie I can find is XX which I already watched for last year’s challenge. Any suggestions? X: the man with the X-ray eyes and Xtro are both nowhere to be found, and I can’t find anything else on any of the services I have

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Purno posted:

X: the man with x-ray eyes is on youtube I’m pretty sure

Purno you’re a goddamn hero.

Maybe you guys can solve another problem for me, do any of these count for the holiday challenge:

Train to Busan, Under the Skin, You’re next, Zodiac, or the aforementioned Man with the X-ray eyes

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 26, 2019

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Dr. Puppykicker posted:

Unfortunately not, but either version of The Wicker Man would count for "W".

I watched the original for last year’s and don’t really feel the need to watch the Cage one. Also I’ve got Westworld in for that and need it for challenge 1. These are my letters that aren’t taken up by another challenge.
Worst case I’ll just add an extra film on but at this point I already need to watch one a day up to and including halloween, plus I have to do a double viewing on 3 of those days. Not impossible but I don’t want to risk it too much

gey muckle mowser posted:

It’s a bit of a stretch maybe but You’re Next takes place on the parents’ wedding anniversary

I got excited as that was already on my list and then I read an article that claimed it took place on thanksgiving, but apparently they just meant it has a thanksgiving feel.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

23: Silver Bullet
ABCs: S
Challenge 11: All Hail the King

I had the same massive Stephen King phase in middle school that I’m sure most of you had, but I never got around to reading this one so not sure how it is as an adaptation. On its own it’s good, though nothing revolutionary. I liked Busey as the fun, drunk uncle, and Everett McGill makes an intimidating villain (it’s funny how I’ve been a Twin Peaks fan for ages but I don’t think I’ve ever seen him in anything else, and now that’s 2 roles This month both very different from Big Ed). The werewolf suit is pretty good and the transformation scenes are well done.
One thing that stands out is how little this feels like a King story to me, though. Maybe the book has more of his style and it didn’t carry over. Also I’m a motorcycle mechanic and I’m very tempted to go making a replica now. You know, if I wouldn’t be immediately thrown in jail for child endangerment.

24: Train to Busan
ABCs: S

This has been sitting in my Netflix queue since last October so I’m glad I finally had an excuse to watch it. Very well done; it’s tough to make a good zombie movie these days as it doesn’t really lend itself to reinvention, but this one works with that by staying small and doing what it does well. A train is a unique place for something like this and leads to some neat set pieces. I’m also a sucker for a good “things going terribly wrong and completely falling apart” scene and this has multiple good ones. Strong recommend if you’re into zombie flicks.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

25: Nightmare Before Christmas
Challenge 13:Maniac

I had a tough time with this challenge, as I don’t feel particularly “guilty” about any of the stuff I watch, but then this one popped into my head. I’m about 6 feet tall, 250 lbs, bearded, tattooed, and work as a mechanic, but I also know every line of this movie and can belt any of it out at a moment’s notice, so I’d say it counts as much as anything.

26: Beetlejuice

It was on TV this afternoon so why not? I love it all; I love the bureaucracy of the dead, the weird aesthetics, Keaton just chewing the hell out out of every bit of scenery (sometimes literally). As much as I’m over Burton I’ll still always love these two.

27: Under the Skin
ABCs: U

Species as an arthouse film. Scarjo is an alien and rides around picking up men to eat, but not as exciting as that sounds. Meanders a lot and it’s shot in Glasgow so I couldn’t understand a single thing anyone said. Does have some Scarjo nudity in it so that’s cool. My partner is a massive Thom Yorke fan and I was teasing her about how it looked and sounded like one of his videos, and sure enough the director did a few Radiohead music videos.
It was nice and I enjoyed it, but I don’t think I’d ever watch it again.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

28: Not a Creature was Stirring
Challenge 8: Holidays

I was going to just watch Holidays but then I spotted this this morning and figured I'd go for one nobody had mentioned. It was ok, a Christmas themed anthology with the framing device being a couple on an awkward first date. It has kind of the opposite problem that most anthologies do in that the shorts all feel like they need a bit more time; there are some cool concepts there that I wouldn't have minded seeing expanded (which the exception of the Scrooge bit as it's played fairly straight).
Not great and definitely feels like an indie/student film in a lot of places (I actually thought it was Canadian at first as it has that feel), but worth a look if you've seen all the other Christmas horrors.

29: V/H/S: Viral
ABCs: V
Challenge 12: Cavalcade of Creepiness

I had this on while I was cleaning up so I was only half paying attention, but I liked it. Feels like it has a budget and only having 3 shorts let it find a good balance between letting the stories breathe and letting them overstay their welcome. Nothing as good as the cult thing in 2 but nothing dire, if you liked the first two you'll like this one.

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Oct 29, 2019

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

30: The Lighthouse
ABCs: L

Hell yes. This was my most anticipated movie this month and I was worried I wouldn't get it in, but managed to get there tonight and it lived up to my hype. Absolutely gorgeous, the black and white work so damned well here and while I didn't like the smaller ratio at first, as it kept going I really started to enjoy the claustrophobia it added. Dafoe was, as mentioned, born for this role, and Pattison was a pleasant surprise (I know he's legit a good actor but this is the first non Twilight thing I've ever actually seen him in).
There was definitely some stuff that went over my head and I'm looking forward to reading write ups by smarter people, but it's one of those cinematic experiences that's just a delight to experience.

E: V OK!

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 29, 2019

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

:spooky:31: Westworld
ABCs: W
Challenge 1: Best Month

I'm surprised I haven't seen this before. I like the show a lot and I'd consider Jurassic Park one of my top ten favourites. Some really cool shots in this one and it's a pretty fun ride. Coming from the show it's surprising how little behind the scenes stuff their is; none of the scientists have names and there's no real how or why to the breakdown, it all just happens. Brenner is terrifying as the proto-terminator, and Brolin is just cool as hell.

32: X, the man with the X-ray eyes
ABCs: X

Good old fashioned 60s sci fi. It's a bit hokey, but it's Corman so he keeps it fun, and Milliand provides some good charm and gravitas to what could have just been a generic mad scientist.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

33: You’re Next
ABCs: Y

Definitely one of the better home invader movies out there. This is a wild ride with a bomb rear end final girl that turns it into fatal Home Alone. Lots of fun, inventive kills, a few decent twists, just an all around good time. It’s fairly thin so I can’t say much without giving things away, but if you like these kinds of movies at all definitely seek this one out.

34: Zodiac
ABCs: Z

As you all know, when you sit down to do a month of horror, you’re going to have a real bad signal to noise ratio. There’s a lot of garbage horror out there; now, bad horror is still better than bad comedy or bad drama, but you still have to sit through some lunkers, so I was really happy to get around to something genuinely really really good. Like not just fun or spooky but an actual good film.

This is top tier Fincher. The visuals are amazing, it really looks like he just went back to the 70s and filmed on site, and the cast is pretty phenomenal; it’s one of those casts where even the small parts with a handful of lines are recognizable.

The only thing that kind of drags it down is that it’s based in a true story. This leads to some heartbreak as you’re really rooting for these guys to catch the killer, and you watch them all destroy their lives to do it, and know it’s not going to have a satisfying resolution. Likewise there are a couple of what should be very tense scenes that are completely undercut by this; there’s one scene of Graysmith in a menacing situation with a possible killer that would be a scary moment in another film, but here there’s no tension since you know he’s alive and that the “killer” isn’t the zodiac at all.

It’s a crazy long movie, coming in just under 3 hours, but there’s really nothing I’d say you could cut and it never really drags. I’ve got a few movies in my list that are 2 hours+ that I can never commit to and this is one (it sat on my pvr for a good 4 years), so I’m glad the challenge was here to force me to get around to it.

And that’s it, thank Satan. All challenges and goals complete for me, I’ll put something more coherent together tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Final Nightmare:

1: 1922
2: Anguish (2015)
3: Body Bags
4: Cold Skin
5: Demons
6: Escape Room
7: The Fly (1958)
8: Goosebumps 2
9: Hausu
10: In the tall grass
11: Joker
12: Kuntilanak
13: The Addams Family (2019)
14: Mercy
15: November
16: Overlord
17: People Under the Stairs
18: Q the Winged Serpent
19: Silence of the Lambs
20: Resident Evil Vendetta
21: One Cut of the Dead
22: Godzilla vs Megalon
23: Silver Bullet
24: Train to Busan
25: Nightmare Before Christmas
26: Beetlejuice
27: Under the Skin
28: Not a Creature was Stirring
29: V/H/S: Viral
30: The Lighthouse
31: Westworld
32: X, the man with the X-ray eyes
33: You’re Next
34: Zodiac

THE SUPER SAMHAIN CHALLENGE
#1. The Best Month: Westworld
#2. Dead & Buried: The Fly
#3. Horror Noire: People under the Stairs
#4. Inktober: Kuntilanak
#5. Tourist Trap: November
#6. Sometimes They Come Back: The Addams Family
#7. Monster Mash-up: Godzilla vs. Megalon
#8 Happy Holidays!: Not a Creature was Stirring
#9 Hackers: Resident Evil Vendetta
#10 Navel Gazing: One Cut of the Dead
#11 All Hail The King: Silver Bullet
#12 Cavalcade of Creepiness: V/H/S/ Viral
#13 Maniac: Nightmare Before Xmas

That was a blast. I think my alphabet challenge hurt me more than helped, but it did help narrow my focus a lot (34 movies and only 3 of them were rewatches!). A lot of my issues were just time though, I had one busy week there that put me way behind, plus I had a focus on watching stuff with my son last year and I kind of ran out of stuff I could watch with him. I had to get a little creative this week, including waking up early a couple of days to get a few in in the mornings. Still though, saw some good stuff I wouldn't have otherwise, and I enjoyed the Samhain challenges this year.

Best New Movie: Zodiac was probably the best movie I watched for this, but I'd say I enjoyed Lighthouse more.
Worst New Movie: I guess Cold Skin or In the Tall Grass but I didn't really see anything too awful this year.
Highlights: Q, The Winged Serpent and Hausu were both new to me and both are ones I intend to rewatch in future. They're just so delightfully weird in their own ways.
Movies about two men losing their minds in a lighthouse: 2