Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Google makes it official, Daydream is dead: https://venturebeat.com/2019/10/15/google-discontinues-daydream-vr/

I don't think anyone's really going to be shedding a tear for this one in the era of Quest. Did it ever get anything significantly more than just being a cleaned up Cardboard experience?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Less Fat Luke posted:

Hm seems like Borderlands 2 VR is dropping today on Steam, could be good! I can't tell if it includes all the DLC from BL2 but either way reviews for the PSVR version seemed decent.
The "BAMF Pack" that comes free with it is basically a full DLC package: https://borderlands.com/en-US/news/2019-09-06-borderlands-2-vr-bamf-dlc/

Glad to see it's out of PSVR jail, but charging nearly full price for a port that looks to be about as polished as Payday 2 VR while not even supporting multiplayer is a tough sell. I get that the slowdown feature isn't exactly multiplayer compatible but I'd have been fine with that being disabled when playing with friends, especially if they were able to go fully like Payday and make it cross-play with flat screen.

Here's hoping for a ~$20 sale in the near future...

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

BMan posted:

solo borderlands? what's even the point
Exploring the world in VR would be fun. I almost certainly wouldn't try to do everything like I did in the base game, but I could definitely see getting a week or two out of playing through the main campaign and the best of the rest for an hour or two a night before I got tired.

I don't know about you, but in Payday and Standout I found that my VR playstyle was a lot different from the way I play flat screen, mostly owing to the ability to reach a gun around a corner or out from cover without having to expose my head and ability to aim at multiple things when dual wielding. I think that and just the different experience of actually being surrounded by the world would be worth $20-25 to me even without multiplayer.

That said of course, that's also why the lack of multiplayer is such a disappointment. Could you imagine some of those raid boss fights where the enemies are actually all around you?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yeah that is easy except in the history of all games on any system no one has done it yet.
Adding to the other examples, Payday 2 did this while still managing to sell absolute fucktons of DLC. And that game was even trivially hackable, a script to unlock all the DLC for the standard mod engine could fit in an original tweet.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
edit: whee forum fuckups

wolrah fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Nov 5, 2019

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

El Grillo posted:

Could be set before HL2, for sure. I wouldn't be surprised, either. Always seemed like they couldn't figure out what came next (despite that ex-Valve writer posting his version of the story resolution ages ago).

The Walrus posted:

I'd put money on it being pre-gordon's return
Ars Technica is reporting quite confidently that this is in fact the case:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/11/half-life-alyx-what-we-know-about-valves-upcoming-full-length-vr-game posted:

Today's announcement has confirmed a hard truth: Valve's game development teams still cannot count to three. In HLA's case, it's because this is a prequel, not a sequel.
[...]
Instead of stepping forward in time, HLA will rewind to the period between the first two mainline Half-Life games.
[...]
This new VR game mixes things up by putting you in Alyx's shoes, years before the events of HL2 and before Freeman's return to the series' universe.
They state this is based on trusted anonymous sources though, so I guess we'll just have to see on Thursday.

It does seem very likely, I'm sure if they had a good plan for how to move forward from where they left off in HL2E2 they'd have done it by now just to get people to shut the gently caress up about their ability to count to three. A prequel lets them explore the character and universe more while still having a clear idea of where they're going to end up.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Zero VGS posted:

I remember there was a Mac laptop you could upgrade from a G3 to a G4 by mailing it to a company that desoldered the CPU and put the better one into the same socket. I wonder if that'd still work these days for a Snapdragon SOC?

What'd make that trickiest these days is the SoC part. Back in the G3/G4 era the CPU was just a device on the front-side bus. As long as your new CPU used the same bus technology you could adapt between even physically incompatible parts with relative ease. See also the 1.4GHz Pentium 3 swaps on original Xboxes, the numerous adapters for using mobile CPUs in desktop boards, etc. Rearrange some pins, maybe add a bit more power capacity, and you're good to go.

With a system-on-a-chip though the chip has a lot more external interfaces. You have to match up all of those for it to work, and different variants of the chip may or may not even have the same things. It's still theoretically possible, but a lot harder.

There are of course often chips made with the specific intent of being pin compatible with a previous model so if this happens to be the case then at least the hardware end of it would be "just" a matter of having some BGA reworking tools, then whatever softtware changes might be needed as already noted.

Truga posted:

so here's a dumb question: how dead is phone/cardboard VR? i finally have a phone that was built in this decade. are there any comfy cardboard-compatible headstraps or is the only way to do that decently a quest?
Cardboard is so dead that Google straight up open sourced it the other day. https://github.com/googlevr/cardboard

dogstile posted:

The worst things about HL2 were the physics puzzles. You can't change my mind
My girlfriend has just started playing HL2 for the first time ever and it's been quite interesting watching her learn to play as someone whose only first-person gaming experience is Minecraft. I remember being amazed by the physics puzzles back in 2004 when it was state of the art tech, but yeah it is kind of hilarious in hindsight seeing how many times they had segments that were just tech demos turned in to obstacles.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 20, 2019

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I was definitely considering buying the Index controllers, figuring that the bundled game would let me convince myself that the price for the controllers was more reasonable, but apparently they're still $279. That's a tough pill to swallow even with a $50 game included.

Any Index controller owners, especially those using them with the original headset, want to try to convince me otherwise? Currently the only VR games I have more than around two hours in to are Beat Saber, Subnautica, and Bridge Crew, but presumably HL:A will join that list eventually unless they really hosed up.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Paul MaudDib posted:

With the Vive Wireless Adapter, would it be possible to put a Thunderbolt card in my PC, use a Corning fiber-optic cable to run through the floor into my basement, up into the next room, into a PCIe enclosure mounted on the wall, and put the WiGig card in the enclosure?

Corning hasn't quite put out the TB 3.0 version of their cable yet so it would probably be TB 2.0 throughout.
The Vive Wireless Adapter uses a PCIe 1x interface. It doesn't specify a revision, but the minimum spec CPUs would be expected to support 3.0 and full utilization of the 7gbit/sec capacity of WiGig would require it, so that may be an unspoken requirement as well.

Bandwidth-wise Thunderbolt 2 can provide four lanes of PCIe 2.0 which is more than enough, the question would be if the wireless adapter needs 3.0 are any of the enclosures on the market capable of converting two lanes of TB2 in to one lane of PCIe 3. If the adapter can work on PCIe 2.0 then it should work just fine in theory (though Thunderbolt tends to bring some new quirks to the picture even where it should be straightforward, especially on Windows).

IIRC there is a slight latency increase, but we're talking within the context of PCIe levels of latency so I'm not sure how much it matters in the context of a video stream. GPUs tend to take a ~20% performance hit in TB enclosures but I haven't yet found a comparison that limits the PCIe lanes when in the desktop so I don't know if that's Thunderbolt or just the limited bandwidth compared to an x16 slot in play.

Fuzz posted:

Don't the wands still work with lighthouse 2.0s?
No. The 2.0 equipment works with 1.0 lighthouses, but 1.0 equipment does not understand 2.0 lighthouses. The way they sync up was changed in an attempt to make the base stations cheaper and to allow for more than two base stations to operate at the same time, but that required new smarts in the receiver hardware.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 21, 2019

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Paul MaudDib posted:

Good point. What I'm hearing here is that I would need a Thunderbolt 2 enclosure with a PLX switch chip (i.e. an enclosure that supports multiple slots) that claims PCIe 3.0 support for its devices.
That does seem like a safe assumption based on what I know about Thunderbolt. The question then would be whether it'll work without PCIe 3.0.

Unreal_One posted:

Oh, I was thinking on the ds3/4, but you meant the horrible power/ eject buttons on the consoles themselves. Those suck.
Ah yes, the "heh my cat is sniffing the Xbox OH DAMMIT loving THING TURNED OFF" buttons. So much hate for those things...

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Hadlock posted:

Is Dead stick the model airplane VR game by the guy who originally did Kerbal space program

No, Deadstick is the bush pilot simulator.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Hadlock posted:

Waiting for micro usb to die finally. I'm honestly really surprised the vive wands use micro usb in the year of our lord 2019, that connector was already on the way out in 2016
This is the same product that uses an explicitly-banned-by-the-spec USB-A male to A male cable on the headset, twice. We apparently just need to be glad the controller team picked an appropriate connector, if not the best choice.

I wish the USB-IF would grow a pair and hard deprecate the Micro connector such that no new designs would be allowed to use it and still be certified unless they had a very specific need to retain physical compatibility with a docking station or similar.

Unfortunately they've instead gone the other direction and entirely bent over for the marketing fucksticks with their "USB 3.2 Gen1" (aka USB 3.0 with a different name) bullshit.

EbolaIvory posted:

No, I mean facebook market place. My local one has people dumping 2070s and poo poo all over the place.
Lucky you, apparently. My local marketplace (Cleveland/Akron area) has three total 2070s being sold within 100 miles, none of which are supers, and a dozen or so more results where someone's selling a whole PC with a 2070 or just spammed keywords in their listing for a 1060.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

NRVNQSR posted:

Huh; that does seem to make a big difference, yeah. Still a bit floaty with sleeves pulled back, but not as bad.
From a few pages back, but how are you playing VR in long sleeves and not overheating immediately?

Hell, the idea of wearing long sleeves indoors is something I try to avoid.

The idea of long sleeves occluding hand tracking is a problem I never even contemplated.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

NRVNQSR posted:

Nothing that currently supports hand tracking involves moving your body in any way; we're not talking Beat Saber here.
Ah, that makes some sense then.

quote:

Also it's currently winter in the northern hemisphere.
I know, there was snow out my window this morning, but my PC and Vive are inside where it's ~68 degrees when everything is idle. When someone is gaming, however, the room tends to warm up quickly regardless of the outside temperature. It takes a few minutes longer in the winter, sure, but unless I open the window I'm still going to be sweating after 10-20 minutes of anything active.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

EbolaIvory posted:

What the gently caress is with this poo poo? poo poo should be illegal.

Soooo sick of grabbing a cable from somewhere only to realize its USB 2.
On the other hand, if the goal is to get wide adoption from device manufacturers, allowing manufacturers of cost-constrained devices to bundle cheaper cables when the nicer ones would offer no actual advantage makes sense.

Also I don't know about you but if I put my full featured type C and 3.x A-to-C cables next to their USB 2.0 equivalents, the 2.0 cables are all noticeably thinner and floppier. The twisted pairs needed for high speed data are neither slim nor flexible by comparison, so I can't say I've had a problem telling them apart, but if it's really a big deal for you you could just spend a couple of bucks on a pack of new cables and throw out any 2.0-only ones you have.

IMO the real bitch with USB-C isn't the cables, it's having no reasonable way to know what capabilities a given port on a device supports. Three different power standards plus a half dozen proprietary protocols (though this problem is not exclusive to type C ports), eight different data rates, alternate modes, dual-mode devices that can be both host and device, etc. If you see a USB-C port on an otherwise unknown device it tells you literally nothing about what that port will offer you. You can make some assumptions depending on the type of device it is, but there are no absolute guarantees.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s a hell of a thing when the alien guts you from behind in 2D, in VR that must be......quite something :gonk:
It is.....an experience....

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I know it's never going to happen while they're still unable to meet demand, but man I wish the price would go down a bit on the Index controllers. HL:A being bundled helps, I'd just be a lot more comfortable with $200 or less.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

NRVNQSR posted:

Their recommended max for two base stations is a 6m diagonal, so you'll be over but it will probably still work okay. Adding a third base station is unlikely to help much unless your space is triangular; you'd need to go to four which officially supports up to 10x10m.
My Gen1 base stations have been positioned about a meter further than recommended since day one. Occasionally I'll get a popup complaining about this fact, buy they still sync up wirelessly without issues and everything works fine within my usable area.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Can someone who has old school Vive wands comment on how the game plays with them? Any issues worth noting?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

sigher posted:

For headsets like this, is there a bunch of hoops to jump through just to get it working, also what do you do for controllers? I only have Touch controllers that came with my Quest so I doubt there's a way to get them working with other headsets.
At least the Pimax headsets are SteamVR devices. If you buy their full kit it'll come with the same lighthouses and controllers you'd get with an Index kit. You'd need to already own a Vive or Index for it to really make sense to buy the headset standalone.

As for using Touch controllers with it, there are some complexities involved in merging multiple different tracking systems but I know a few people here have mixed and matched controllers with some level of success. That said I'm pretty sure the Rift S/Quest version of the Touch controllers has a different constellation layout for the internal tracking system than the original Rift's externally tracked version. They were not compatible at launch and I haven't found anything indicating the community has been able to hack anything up since then, so it seems like it might not be possible to use Quest controllers with a PC without having a Rift S as well.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bad Munki posted:

Based on their roadmap, you can’t aim with the controller? Which I assume means you aim with your head? If so, I’ll wait.

Thoatse posted:

Yeah it's pretty boner killer for me too... it's look-to-turn and uses controllers as gamepad so I'm still waiting for a real Alien vr game and in the meantime already don't have enough time to play most of my library so
I'm not sure if either of you have played the game flat screen, but it's not really as big of a deal as you might think. Shooting is not really a significant part of the game

Also keep in mind that this hack isn't adding VR support from the ground up, it's tapping in to the work that was already done by the game's developers to support DK2 that never got officially released, and just patching that up to work with modern VR APIs plus some quality of life tweaks to make the experience work better.

Not saying it's impossible, but adding fully tracked controller support and some kind of modern locomotion is a lot more involved than shimming some APIs and tweaking some settings. Also the author of the A:I mod never bothered to open source it like he said he would and is currently distracted with a VR mod for Halo so I'm not sure I'd expect any further progress. The last released update was in 2018, he teased further updates in October but nothing since then.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ah yes, VR; the medium where even the slightest latency can cause motion sickness. It's perfect for a streaming service! :pseudo:

Realistically I can see a few possible ways that some kind of partial cloud processing could work for VR and/or AR.

The most obvious uses are in AR, where the cloud service could be processing and classifying the world, then delivering that data to the client to render an overlay.

I could also see more limited use cases in both VR and AR for rendering detailed distant objects that then just get delivered to the client as a 360 sphere, then the local renderer handles anything close enough to interact with or experience a significant shift in view of when moving around.

edit: removed extra word

wolrah fucked around with this message at 23:18 on May 15, 2020

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

repiv posted:

Nvidia's R&D people have floated the idea of offloading dynamic global illumination to the cloud, since a bit of latency in indirect lighting isn't especially noticeable. Primary visibility and direct lighting would still be done locally.

https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1026182 @ 49:30

Neat! I guess basically anything that would commonly be prebaked in to a world but that a developer wants to make mildly dynamic in a way not directly attached to player actions could be implemented like this. If a few seconds one way or another doesn't matter, then it's certainly a way to cheat a better looking game out of lower end hardware.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Turin Turambar posted:

It's ironic, as precisely the whole point of the Insider previews are less for consumers for fool around and more for companies, devs and hardware manufacturers to test their products against the new OS, and update whatever it's needed.
Which is exactly why I have absolutely zero sympathy for software vendors or large companies that act like they're surprised when their thing breaks on a new version of Windows. Anyone that can reasonably be expected to do software testing internally should have a few of those machines running slow ring at minimum and should be aware of any breakage long before it reaches the public. If they haven't at least notified their customers by the time the update is releasing to normal users they aren't doing their jobs.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

e: also, re Alyx being generally scary, that doesn't actually super matter because I can mostly handle scary poo poo fine. this is just a very specific phobia for me, probably caused by playing AVP 1999 at way, way too young of an age, that fucks with me bad enough in flat games that a VR game doing something similar would just be an instant NOPE NOPE NOPE. it's bad enough that even the Protozoid Slimers in Duke 3D kind of wig me out, though they're goofy looking enough that I don't stay freaked out for long.
This discussion made me realize that while I've been tackled by the Xenomorph in MotherVR (the excellent Alien:Isolation VR mod) I haven't actually played through the facehugger section.. Going to have to fire that up tonight.....

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Lastdancer posted:

Does Alyx really need 12GB of Ram? I'm still on 8GB. PC is like a decade old besides the graphics card, which is a 1060 3GB. I probably should wait on playing it until I have a better computer, right?
You should definitely have more RAM. 8GB is basically the bare minimum to just have a usable desktop PC these days, 16GB is generally recommended for any kind of real gaming. Video card shouldn't be a big deal, I'm still using my "3.5GB" GeForce 970.

That said, this is also pretty much correct:

Gort posted:

After a point, more is identical
When it comes to RAM for the most part you either have enough or you don't. Going from not having enough to having enough gets you huge performance gains. Adding more on top of enough gets you almost nothing (maybe slight gains from more cache space). Certain applications can actually get worse, if they depend on memory bandwidth more than overall capacity and the use of more/larger modules requires the memory bus to slow down.

My personal guidelines for RAM for the last few years are as follows:

8GB - Standard desktop use, entry level gaming and/or older games
16GB - Most gaming and "power users"
32GB - High end gaming and heavy multitasking

Anything beyond that is just showing off from a gaming standpoint unless you're trying to load entire games in to RAM disks.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Combat Pretzel posted:

Other in the relevant Steam support forum thread, some guy found out that it's possible to reliably control the Lighthouses via a custom Python script, even in v2004, so it's sure interesting that SteamVR itself is tripping over itself in the newest Windows update.
Mine are still working fine under 2004 but didn't work for ~2 years through a full Windows reinstall so this is not shocking at all.

Glad to see there's finally more ways to manipulate them when SteamVR fails to do the job though.

Also holy poo poo it's been over four years since us early adopters were getting our first headsets.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Is this stream just lovely or does it look like most of the game footage has been captured on a potato? Lots of low framerate and/or low detail shots I wouldn't expect to see in teasers/trailers.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Kazy posted:

I think that just means it doesn't use VR hand controllers, not that it doesn't support HOTAS in VR.
Yeah I don't think Steam has a tag for HOTAS support. For reference here's X-Plane 11:

They just get lumped under the general "controller" listing.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

EbolaIvory posted:

Your average person don't call it HOTAS either. Which is why its lumped into generic support and not listed. I used to think controller supported mattered but IL-2 and a few others are "keyboard only" but totally 100% support proper HOTAS stuff..
The more I think about it IIRC Steam's "controller support" tags came to be around the time the Steam Box and Big Picture Mode were announced and pretty much mean "can you play this game without a keyboard/mouse?".

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

sigher posted:

Holy poo poo, how in the gently caress is this engine still a thing?
It's not necessarily a bad thing to have a game engine that can trace a lineage back decades, it just depends on how much it's been re-engineered over the years and how well it fits the needs of modern games.

I mean Unreal Engine has a pretty obvious history. Both Source 2 and id Tech 7 trace back to Quake. All three almost certainly have some kind of baggage that dates back to design decisions made in the '90s, but they aren't anywhere close to as janky as what Bethesda did with Gamebryo.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Pierson posted:

How are the controls on a scale of good to bad with "buttery smooth like Alyx" at the good end and "absolutely obviously not intended for VR and hacked to pieces to make it work" at the other?

Edit; Actually oh hey it's free I'll just check it out.

It's far from the best but also far from the worst. For a conversion of a game that was never intended to support VR I think it's great.

Also being able to shoot around corners is cheesy as gently caress. Likewise for being able to reach a gun around or over a shield to shoot the enemies behind 'em.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Zaphod42 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrzgN8tbIEA

VR support for Hitman looking pretty good so far
I really hope this gets a proper PC port. The fact that they haven't said the word "exclusive" gives me some hope that it's just a timed thing where it'll come out first on PSVR but the PC will get it eventually. Annoying but tolerable, I guess.

That said I'm concerned that if/when that happens it still could suffer from limited use of 360 degree/roomscale movement just because it's being designed with a 180 degree platform as a primary target.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Leal posted:

Who the eff dances to linkin park? Even when I was in high school going through my dark phase and listened to them I still didn't dance to linkin park.
Yeah, I was surprised they didn't at least include some of the Reanimation versions which seem like they'd fit the theme of the game better.

Zaphod42 posted:

I dance to Ra-Ra-Rasputin

But that's the only one and its because the notes match up with the music video dance
At one point I had a version of YMCA that did but I lost that when I did a clean install to get mods working again one time. Gangnam Style and Bye Bye Bye also both at least sort of try sometimes.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
My girlfriend and I were trying to play Rec Room yesterday and her Quest kept locking up and crashing back to the Oculus menu when trying to load in to more complicated maps. I was on my Vive and had no issues (other than the time I accidentally exited the game).

Is this normal? Is Rec Room just pushing the hardware, or is there something going wrong? Other games like Beat Saber and Moss seem to work entirely normally.

njsykora posted:

It's called Lambda1VR. I don't know if it works on PC though since it's explicitly designed for the Quest. I have all his engine ports on my Quest since they're so good.
https://www.lambda1vr.com/
Ooh, I forgot about this. Definitely need to snag the Quest and try this some time.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Great Beer posted:

Has the quest been powered off and rebooted entirely lately? I've found mine will get glitchy if it isn't rebooted fairly often.
I'm actually kind of disappointed in myself to have not thought about this, IT support is my day job so I should have gone with the classic "have you tried turning it off and on again" but it totally slipped my mind that the Quest is an Android device so "off" probably doesn't really mean off and it probably hasn't been rebooted since the last time it got an update.

I was going down an entirely different thought path, thinking that since she has the small storage model maybe it was near full and Rec Room cached a lot of data or something.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Zaphod42 posted:

I downloaded it and they were like "log in with your steam or your vr chat account" and that's already a weird blocker, just log me in as my steam already!

Tried to do steam and it asked for my birthdate. HMMM. So I entered it, but it was like "fill out ALL the information!" but all it was asking me for was my birth date, and I did...

so that's already a brick wall. I guess I'll go create a vrchat account but I'm kinda skeeved out by this already. I just wanted to load up a solo room so I could check out the VR spaces I don't want to talk to people
Any titles that support cross-play inherently have to have some kind of independent account system, otherwise the whole system falls apart when two different users have the same username on different platforms.

Telling it to log in with your platform is just associating that platform ID with one of the game's accounts so the creation process will still be mostly the same other than whatever info they can just pull from the platform account.

As far as just wanting to get in a room on your own, that's perfectly reasonable but that's not really what VRChat is about at all so it's not exactly shocking that they haven't gone out of their way to support your use case.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thoom posted:

Annoyingly, neither of the apps that do this support the 1.0 Vive lighthouses, which I assume have the same problem.
Amusingly my 1.0 Lighthouses' power management is more reliable than it's ever been before since the 2004 update. I went years manually plugging and unplugging them, but 2004 fixed everything and they've worked perfectly every time since.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thoom posted:

Based on this I decided to try taking the 2004 plunge. SteamVR can still wake up my basestations just fine, but it's only able to put one of them to sleep.

So, back to manual plugging/unplugging.
I never had trouble with them shutting down, but from 2017 through a few months ago they would simply not wake up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Seeing this gives me mixed feelings.

On the one hand, it's incredibly annoying to see those actions and realize that at least in its initial release form you'll have to be doing it by shaking a loving gamepad around in the air.

On the other hand, it provides some hope that if there is a proper PC release at some point it might actually be fully implemented with hand tracking instead of being purely gamepad driven.

I'm still not sure why they'd choose to do that even on PSVR though, are Move controllers particularly bad? Do they not have enough inputs? Are there a lot of people who have PSVR headsets but not Move controllers?