Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

check out the philistines in the thread about the Spotify CEO saying musicians should just release music more often if they want to make money

quote:

shakezula 8 hours ago [–]

I used to work in the music industry professionally, on the ground level doing booking and management. This trend has been happening slowly for nearly a decade but it’s finally here. Rap and Hip Hop figured out a long time before most other genres that rapid small releases was a far better way to keep hype and sales up. Before Spotify was a thing, the shift was happening with YouTube but it wasn’t as predominant. Now it’s basically assumed you’ll be releasing singles every month.

The music isn’t your product, the music is your marketing. The shows, the merch, your influence - that’s your product.

quote:

quacked 8 hours ago [–]

> The music isn’t your product, the music is your marketing. The shows, the merch, your influence - that’s your product.

Man, that's depressing.

quote:

ZephyrBlu 2 hours ago [–]

It's amazing, not depressing. Music is an incredibly effective marketing channel.

it is a rich vein

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

how would HN people recognize decent writing anyway? I saw this article at #2 this morning. I think my favorite quote is "books can teach us many things."

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

quote:

chrisseaton 17 minutes ago [–]

> Are there any well funded tech startups / companies tackling major societal problems?

Why would you look to tech companies to do this?

Isn't this what charities do?

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

"the Congo or Chicago or whatever" is a hell of a phrase

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

drat i knew schools in the US were underfunded but no books about history????

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

sorry kids, due to funding shortfalls we only have book budgets for math and english. for social studies we will be wheeling in a tv on a cart and watching cnn

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

they're right that the eu is a poo poo show but lol at the idea that it has anything to do with why the british left

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Zlodo posted:

speaking of the ~Free Market~

this one has to be a joke

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

weird, i didn't know matthew yglesias was a hn poster

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

kind of seems like someone read marcus aurelius and then said to themselves "welp, that's a complete philosophy that will give anyone in any time a perfect path to The Good Life, no need to read anything else, i wonder which fundamental question i should answer next"

or, more likely, they read some ceo's ghostwriter's summary of marcus aurelius on linkedin

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

fritz posted:

reading meaning and intention into it to a degree that would have made Freud blush. It's all just projection

lol

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Penisface posted:

even though i think this post is pretty much top shelf hn theorycrafting from first principles and personal experiences, i am going to go out on a limb and assume that even if there was a kind of underground counterculture that appealed to nonwhite folks, and if it was a kind of aggressive in your face thing like metal, then you bet it would be treated like some illegal violent gang stuff that needs to be outlawed and stamped down

you mean like rap

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

fritz posted:

failwhaleshark 11 hours ago [–]

Suppose protein folding simulation and manufacturing can rapidly advance well beyond current levels. It seems like a hypothetical synthetic immune system that whitelists every configuration of every protein an individual can possibly generate and excludes everything else (if possible) would be a way to blanket eliminate unknown unknowns proactively like SELinux for the body.

lol

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

it would also be possible, and probably comparably efficient, to use a unified protocol determined by an old man living in a trailer whose job was to assign each newly manufactured computer an incrementing ID

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

fritz posted:

pcstl 32 minutes ago [–]

I actually think in-game content is one of the most legitimate uses for NFTs. It's also cool that since the on-chain data doesn't go away if the game does, it allows for in-game collectables which are not tied to a specific game. Lots of possibilities there.

*looking at an insane man setting a pile of garbage on fire* lots of possibilities there

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

fritz posted:

creamyhorror 12 hours ago | parent | prev | next [–]

It's true, his forums had a huge indirect influence on modern US online culture, giving rise to so many projects and careers.
Ironically, he failed to capitalise on his influential position unlike so many of his peers who sold off their online properties and disappeared from the public eye. If he'd taken a different approach, he'd probably now be sitting on media properties (or a fortune) worth tens of millions, and minting millions more in cryptocurrency/NFTs. And also possibly have a very different family life.
An example of someone with huge opportunities but not the inclination/mindset or skillset to grasp them.
(Also, I never understood the absurdist humour of Doom/Mood House back in the day. Weird stuff.)

this guy made this web site that had this hugely outsized impact on the culture, and he didn't turn it into some asinine vc money mill. these are two totally separate, unrelated things though

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Maximo Roboto posted:

saiya-jin 3 hours ago | undown | root | parent | next [–]

You are twisting words quite a bit. I very much belong to 'the other' tribe of not giving a nanofraction of a gently caress about some of these 'achievements' pushed on us, done by people who don't get the concept and urgency of work-life balance. No amazon prime deliveries? In fact, no Amazon deliveries in Switzerland that make any sense? We get by just fine. We don't order food from restaurants, it negates the very reason why to go to restaurant in the first place, the social experience is just not there. I can cook +-comparably well and actually enjoy the process. And so on.

I have myself mapped extremely well thanks to long term involvement with some extreme sports, backpacking around the globe and few times use of psilocybin in the right setting. I know exactly what makes me tick and what is superficial shallow BS, and what you describe is right there.

Again, achievements you describe as some holy grail of mankind mean next to nothing. My wife is a doctor, exactly same story - she can tell you all evening about true respectable achievements, and none of it is about some engineer figuring slightly more effective way for business to deliver.

And don't drag the topic into 'you didn't stop this from happening!' - we are adults, and responsible for our own development and life paths. Don't expect me or anybody else to babysit you and set your life straight to get happy and fulfilled life. If you won't, no guidebook nor internet course, nor aging itself will. Get your own poo poo together and do it yourself to be more precise.

a good hn post???

fritz posted:

goohle 1 day ago | parent | context | prev | next [–] | on: Selecting a programming language can be a form of ...

53k SLOC is tiny project. 5 senior developers at 1k SLOC per day will generate 53k SLOC in two weeks, just one sprint.

lmao

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

is there any web site on earth where people whine about downvoting more than hn

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

[extremely hackernews well actually voice] well i can think of the title of a kanye west song but apparently im not allowed to say it

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

salisbury shake posted:

Don't use the bathroom during takeoff and landing, poo poo your seat instead.

I thought this was normal hn poster behavior

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i've been wondering that. i've been getting spammed with recruiter requests for a startup in which the pitch describes the CEO as a "serial entrepreneur." is that supposed to be a selling point?

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

Ask HN: Can't Ukraine lease/sell border land to EU temporarily

Why can't Ukraine sell, say 5 KM of land along border to EU for a $ with an option to buy back at 100% premium? No Russian tanks/aircraft can fly thereby protecting. Instead of Ukraine joining NATO NATO can play this credible gimmmick, just like Russia played a gimmmick by declaring independence.

one weird trick war planners don't want you to know!

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

mystes posted:

elmerfud 1 day ago | next [–]

This is not at all shocking to me and actually makes a lot of sense. I'm single, middle-aged and I live in a neighborhood that is not representative of my educational or income status. Living alone my household income is roughly seven times the average household income of the neighborhood. I actively go out of my way to meet people that are fundamentally different in their income, education and other factors. When it comes to dating people in my neighborhood there is two general classifications of people that I come across.

The first is one that is difficult to have any kind of meaningful or deep conversation about anything on. They are so addicted to their phone and taking selfies and fluff pop culture that there is no foundation to even build a relationship around.

The second is the person who you can have an interesting conversation with on many topics but once they find out you're a software engineer or have another job that they assume is well paying (regardless of how you dress or live) all they become interested in is finding how to take money out of your wallet. Literally trying to push buttons as if you're an ATM machine.

When I date people of similar education backgrounds similar work experience and socioeconomic levels it's totally different. It's a totally new set of problems but it actually gives the hope of someone to have a long-term relationship with. Because they have their own money and they don't need constant affirmations from their glowing rectangle.

One other thing that I have discovered from traveling the world is that it's not like this in all cultures. Especially having traveled around Southeast Asia there are many women of all ages that are seeking to better their lifestyle and it's a natural assumption that when you were a tourist there you're probably better off than they are financially. Unlike the people in my neighborhood though they are willing to engage in an actual relationship in order to better their financial status. They understand the concept of either marrying into it or being a long-term partner in a relationship to get that financial advantage.

please buy a copy of my book, "dating for advantage"

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

fritz posted:

You really should look up Gandhi. He freed all of India from British slavery literally by just saying "no" and taking one for the team. He was assassinated, sure, but India is now a democracy.

ahahahahaa

of all the genres of hn posters, i think the history experts are the funniest

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

mrmcd posted:

The airplane understander has logged on

dcanelhas 8 hours ago | prev | next [–]

I wonder if one could build a couple of aircraft carrier for commercial airliners and post them out in the Pacific somewhere to get shorter ETOPS-compliant flight paths.
I also wonder how much fuel is spent carrying fuel and if emissions wouldn't be lower if they would fly shorter legs on fumes and do frequent refueling stops

this is extra funny because the concept that starting and stopping something repeatedly is less efficient than doing the same amount of work in a single go is a concept that should be graspable even with terminal programmer brain

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

fritz posted:

graycat 10 hours ago | parent | context | next [–] | on: Justice Stevens reads the fine print

> ... is fully and fairly notified about the existence ...
I'm not a lawyer, but recently I did watch the movie Legally Blond (recently for free at YouTube) where the character Elle Woods on her first day of Harvard Law School was sent out of a class for being "unprepared", that is, not having read 41 pages on "jurisdiction" or some such.
Well, Ms. Woods might have responded to the professor that she did nothing wrong and, thus, should not be sent out of class and all that because she was not "fully and fairly notified" of the existence of the assignment.
I thought of that while watching the movie (likely the movie audience was not supposed to think of such things!), but it is nice now to see none other than Justice Stevens make clear the importance of "fully and fairly". Might have been cute in the movie for the character Ms. Woods to raise such an objection that she was not notified!

i have never wanted to give someone a swirlie more

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Xik posted:

Geee 25 minutes ago | parent | context | favorite | on: Investors pull $7bn from Tether as stablecoin jitt...

Bitcoin is a bet on the collapse of fiat money and central banks. It doesn't mean a collapse of everything. It will cause turmoil, but in the end things will be better.

People are increasingly realizing that central banks don't have any scientific reason to exist, and the economy actually runs better without them. Their only reason to exist is to give unlimited power to governments and funnel wealth from the poor to the rich. Bitcoin is the bet that what I said is actually true.

ive got a science of economics for this guy

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i swear that reddit posters are less whiny about downvoting than the babies at hn

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

heaving a big sigh, donning my hair shirt, fighting to stop my tears as i slowly slouch my way to the devils advocate desk

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Jose Valasquez posted:

Long paternity leave drives everyone crazy.

:lmao:

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

while you are absolutely right, jones, i just find it super funny how even when the philosopher-kings of hackernews are just pontificating about policy they still inadvertently drop references to how everyone in the real world finds them insufferable

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Internet Janitor posted:

i kickstarted the ouya because it seemed like it would be a fun android platform to program on with a standardized gamepad

got mine, tinkered with it for a while, ported a game to it on a dare and won 20 bucks for a charity

a few years later i gave it away to some undergrads interested in gamedev when i had to move

totally satisfied overall, and i may be the only person in the world who felt that way, lol

I didn't kickstart it but I bought an ouya, plugged some Xbox controllers into it, and played the poo poo out of Towerfall, the greatest couch multiplayer game ever made, while it was still an exclusive. Was a great system for me (even though it objectively sucked overall)

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

elon said to fire 50% of the employees there and those employees just took their pink slips too literally

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

fritz posted:

Worshipping youth in its ignorance and speed while discarding the wisdom of elders is called fascism.

lmao

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

more like airheadstotle

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

hi, i'm princevegeta89, and i'm looking for love. i like candlelit dinners, long walks on the beach, and as many ventures as i can handle

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

*kane starts coughing and writhing in pain, an explosion of blood erupts and the alien emerges from his chest*

that guy is clearly having some internal issues

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i gave up on elden ring a few months ago because i sucked at it too much. but then i restarted it yesterday and got to a point that it had taken me like 6 hours to get to with only a couple of deaths. felt good! practice makes perfect i guess

e: lol this isn't the james thread

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

Jose Valasquez posted:

knodi123 1 hour ago | parent | prev | next [–]

> Then again, I've read that 4% of Americans believe they could win a fight with a Grizzly bear.

I bet I could. Maybe on a good day. Not, like, 9 times out of 10, but maybe 1 or 2. Sure, he outranks me in muscles and claws, but I can out-think him, and really, isn't our brain our most powerful muscle? Much like how the powerful and crafty coyote is more than capable of catching a roadrunner, even though the bird is ostensibly faster.

not according to those documentaries i watched as a kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

reads like chatgpt output frankly