Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

quote:

Animats 16 hours ago [-]

“You had a raging climate of eugenics which did not directly target preemies, but did directly target children who had severe disabilities. It was an environment where we only wanted to produce the fittest babies. That was a very strong cultural undercurrent. People just felt like these children were not worth saving.”
Yes, the US used to have quality control on people. Ellis Island was a quality control checkpoint for immigrants. The sick were rejected and sent back where they came from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
hn: I have no doubt that anyone could take a room full of software engineers and start a functioning X organization the next day

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
just use ML to generate articles with clickbait headlines ez pz

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

alexandriao posted:

What about mixing it with damp sock or rag or dishcloth.

"fuckcloth" "fuckrag" "fucksock"

"he's a damp fuckrag" "a damp fucksock" "a damp fuckcloth"

works pretty well imho

how about fuckstain

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what is this job where i get to futz with text files instead

its management op

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
beep bop interactions with the outside world is just a source of randomness

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
https://twitter.com/plt_dril/status/1272535976909262850?s=20

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
it is and im happy for it

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Schadenboner posted:

This, only unironically.

how come you're still not an expert at making good posts?

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Plorkyeran posted:

there was an ask hn recently where the person asked how hn made money and it was amazing how many people didn't realize that hn is an ad for yc

i mean, its right in the url

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
new troll interview question: please write an algorithm to invert a triangle

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

quote:

I was is a dark place after 9/11, both from the trauma of that, and some personal issues. So I spent considerable time on Rotten, Something Awful, and worse. Based on that experience, many would likely do content moderation for free.

was sa really ever as bad with shock pictures as something like rotten.com?

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Jose Valasquez posted:

lmao that guy registered just to prove this guys point

big derek smart energy

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
hn thread: IGNORE YOUR FAMILY'S PROBLEMS FOR THE NEXT 10 YEARS

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
speaking of the ~Free Market~

quote:

In the future your boss will assign work by auctioning JIRA tickets off to the team with a price ceiling set by freelancers on the LinkedIn marketplace. Payment will be through a bounty system. Salary is such an outdated payment structure

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
beep bop does anyone have a good empathy subroutine

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

alexandriao posted:

Neural implant lets paralyzed person type by imagining writing (arstechnica.com)

qwertox 1 minute ago

It would be interesting to see how people compare in speed, assuming that the technology itself is not a bottleneck.

We could directly measure how fast a child thinks, or a CEO vs. a homeless.

Eventually we would be able to pinpoint mental problems by measuring the time it takes to think about a certain topic, check if the mind "locks up" for a couple of seconds on a seemingly unrelated topic which got triggered by the context the mind was thinking about. We could pinpoint the unrelated topic and have a base for a psychotherapy which could be more accurate than by just talking around in order to get to know the patient.

Let's say a group of 10 have to think out the ordering process at a Starbucks where every step has been provided by a list. An average of 20 seconds is used to do this +- 5 seconds. If there is an outlier, one could start to dig deeper into what exactly is making the mind to wander off. Multiple tests in different scenarios could then decide if the outlier is a slow thinker in general, or if it is a certain thing which triggers this wandering off.

hn thread: a CEO vs. a homeless

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
won't somebody please think of the billionaires

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

xtal posted:

Oh boy. The thread is still up.
This is from lobste.rs which is supposed to be an alternative to HN for people who don't like YC, but they've recently went mask off as nazis and TERFs, so no harm in telling people about it by now.

lobste.rs always struck me as nothing more than an invite-only hn offshoot

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
new pg brain shart is out

quote:

That's why it's a mistake to insist dogmatically on "work/life balance." Indeed, the mere expression "work/life" embodies a mistake: it assumes work and life are distinct.

Zlodo fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 8, 2021

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

quote:

Pedigree filtering is most often myopic elitism, especially in a business context. Anecdotally, I avoided MIT and Harvard because of Boston's snow and traffic. CalTech is Pasadena: too frick'n hot. I didn't study at all for the SAT-I and aced the math section. (The SAT should be more like the JEE.) I went to an expensive, "top 50" public university where I liked the area. Also, it was more practical and rigorous academically than most Pac10s (Pac12s now) and Ivys because they had something to prove (no grade inflation at all, they don't care if you turn in homework or not, not much market for homework and tests, and proctored exams). I also didn't do a PhD because of the economic disincentive: if I put in the work and the cost, I could do an MD, JD, or PhD CS but there is no added benefit.

quote:

I bombed an Apple interview for a mid-career role by being too intelligent and too maverick compared to the group of compliant, I hate to say, yuppies. It was an interview panel of about 9 people and they were just speechless.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

eschaton posted:

source you are quotes

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=27545622

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
I liked confusing the voting system on slashdot into doing something like +3, Troll or +3, Flamebait

iirc it happened when something was downvoted as troll and then it was voted as "underrated" multiple times

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
big lol at "I was a computer janitor at the company that made that popular framework"

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

what? it makes perfect sense to both (a) trust that the code currently published on npm and already used in the dev environment is fine, and (b) not trust that the guy who wrote that code won't leak his npm private key to or go nuts and push an infinite loop on a friday night

and it also makes sense to (c) not trust the guy to not introduce a bug that suddenly breaks your poo poo

there are application domains like aviation related stuff where they won't even dare upgrade the hardware and pay a premium for old rear end replacement network cards or whatever because they have validated and certified that their poo poo works on that particular hardware when they developed it decades ago

and then you have all the idiot webdevs that automatically update all their dependencies everytime their ci runs just lmao

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

kitten emergency posted:

the hn is coming from inside the thread

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

NihilCredo posted:

yeah architecture is still the best comparison from the classical arts

you can put in all the balconets, scrollworks and modillions you want, sure. _after_ you make sure it doesn't crumble in a stiff breeze

counterpoint : no one would have ever cared about Pisa's tower if they had done that

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
"i thought right clicking meant clicking the button in the proper way" - graycat, probably

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
lol (laughing out loud)

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
Most indie games use either unity or unreal engine and their licensing terms (which afaik are along the lines of "if you ever manage to make a significant amount of money with your game you owe us royalties") may be incompatible with open source licenses

then there's also the problems of assets or plugins purchased from third parties that may not be redistributable outside of the game itself etc

Zlodo fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Mar 29, 2022

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
the best part of V is that functions are pure (besides I/O)

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
sytelus 5 hours ago | root | parent | prev | next [–]

Software development requires placing millions of bytes exactly at right places to make billions of transitors sing and dance in precise sequence about billion times a second, every second. This is of complexity unlike anything humanity has ever encountered before.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it is a fun thought experiment though. just rip out the css parser from chrome and instead ship a ml model that applies styles based on the content. allow prompting this ml model so you can write 'amberpos' in the settings and break your web browsing experience in style.

the result will be half broken all the time

so yeah I guess it's an adequate replacement for whatever garbage web devs usually write by hand

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

jesus WEP posted:

i thought this was the most hosed up post i ever read until i realised you didn’t mean electronic arts

lol

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
:females:

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
maybe some day we'll discover an easy and reliable way to turn off lights

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

a lot of games have their teams flat-out dissolved after it ships, or maybe a couple of patches later, no?

Not in companies that like to continue making games

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

icantfindaname posted:

Making good video games as opposed to crypto and microtransaction scams isn’t profitable, so this is an increasingly small pool

It's even harder to be profitable when you dissolve teams willy nilly and lose all their institutional knowledge etc

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

yeah but the games industry outside of the AAAest studios is about maximizing returns for publishers and not providing a sustainable income model for the developers. see also all the fx houses that dissolve after every blockbuster wraps.

I don't think that this short-termist view is still that prevalent. what's your definition of "the AAAiest studios" anyway? I can think of plenty of non AAA studios that have done multiple games and are still chugging along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

lmao