Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Pardot posted:

this has been on my mind a lot recently, thinking we need a new protocol, and make new clients that just don’t have to do nearly as much and could be fast,

my friend Rob put together the base layer for such a protocol in the late 1990s

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-earhart-ap-spec-01

it’s basically the non-application-specific parts of IMAP, ICAP, etc. polished a little bit and with saner defaults than IMAP (8-bit clean/UTF-8 by default, no need for IDLE as an extension)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Penisface posted:

imo it's actually effective to change the media people see through public policy, because the drinks industry would not have the ads if they were not effective!

they wouldn’t produce and show the ads they do if they didn’t think the ads were effective

for all anyone knows, this quarter’s ad buys are suppressing demand, not maintaining or increasing it

just like 40% of cops aren’t domestic abusers, 40% of cops are domestic abusers that we know of

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

fritz posted:

totalZero 16 hours ago [–]

US investment is the single greatest causal factor for prosperity in Latin America. Look at Panama and Chile, for example.

sounds like a

total zero

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Hammerite posted:

why are goons constantly terrified that someone somewhere might suspect them of having The Wrong Politics

"i have to use the emojis with the correct skin tone or somebody might think i'm a chud!" no you don't. that's stupid. it's in your head

why would anyone be OK with being considered a chud?

“Hi, I may not be one, but I totally don’t mind if you think I’m a horrible person with horrible opinions!”

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

doesn’t this poster know that in English as she is spoke it’s “an homeless?”

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

BobHoward posted:

hn thread: its just server room talk

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

not any more buddy
welcome to
devops

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

so YC has a private forum for “YC alumni” and someone—in March—talked about how they went to a low-income-and-underserved-community vaccine clinics in Oakland and got vaccinated and how other founders could too

another YC “alumnus,” Paul Biggar, lambasted them for skipping the queue, since we’re in the middle of a global loving pandemic and making sure vaccines go to the right populations is kind of important

then Paul tweeted about the incident—and that got him “kicked out” of YC (i.e. banned from the forum)

look at how dang, a “Hacker” “News” admin, frames the discussion:

dang 4 hours ago | parent | flag | favorite | on: LOL just got kicked out of @ycombinator

The submitted title was "Y Combinator kicks out Paul Biggar over a tweet". That is inaccurate, so in keeping with the HN guidelines ("Please use the original title, unless it is misleading or linkbait; don't editorialize." https://news.ycombinator.com/newsguidelines.html), I've replaced the title with the tweet text. That's the standard thing we do with titles, when people post Twitter links.

Much as I'd love to, it's not my place to say why the original title was inaccurate, so I'll just remind you all that there are two or more sides to every story and not everything on Twitter is true.

In keeping with the rule that we moderate HN less, not more, when YC or a YC startup is involved (https://hn.algolia.com/?dateRange=all&page=0&prefix=false&query=by%3Adang%20moderate%20less%20%22not%20more%22%20yc&sort=byDate&type=comment), I'm not doing anything else to the submission. Normally, of course, we'd downweight this sort of petty drama.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

the worst thing you can possibly do is not follow YC’s rules or talk poorly about Paul Graham

for example, someone in that thread claimed it was bad that Sam Altman “bro’d up” YC, and this response got downvoted to the point I had difficulty finding it…

geofft 5 hours ago [–]

pg believes the Civil War wasn't actually about slavery (http://www.paulgraham.com/marginal.html), so I'm not sure that Sam actually made the place worse.

lol Paul Graham is loving trash

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

PCjr sidecar posted:

so you’ve been to school for a year or two

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

alexandriao posted:

Internet Janitor 6 hours ago | parent [-]
it's still a story about a young, unappreciated nerd who one day discovers he is rich beyond his wildest dreams, a superior being to the humans who previously trod upon him, and instantly recognized by his peers as a wizard of legendary power. whisked away to a private school for gifted children, he does whatever he pleases as adults consistently turn a blind eye, and everyone who takes a disliking to him either comes around quickly enough or is unmasked as a villain suitable for unceremonious murder. the wizarding world is governed by utterly impotent, classist plutocrats who have spent over a decade cowering in fear at a wizard who was unable to murder an infant

there's a reazon yudkowsky found the premise so enchanting he felt compelled to write fanfiction about what he would do in this situation

Hammerite 1 hour ago | parent [–]
so your objection to it is that it's childish wish fulfilment? well it's written for an audience of 12-year-olds

which is a better reason to look for something else to read than anything you said

let
the
bodies
hit
the
floor

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

fritz posted:

in tiananmen the vehicles stopped when someone stood in front of them

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

source you are quotes

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I could see future China pulling some dick-swinging moves like requiring putonghua for ATC within some expansive interpretation of “their” territory

you know, the same kind of thing the US has done ever since it became a world power

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I love that the next sentence is

quote:

No one owes you anything in life: if you think otherwise, you are set for a disaster.

yeah just like nobody owes any loyalty to your business objectives, fucker

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

no wonder the alien visitors the US Navy is monitoring don’t want to talk to us

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

BobHoward posted:

lolllllllllllll
lolololololololol

hnnnnnngh

roflolololololololololololololol

visit the healthcare stories thread and show that to Asproigerosis

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Pile Of Garbage posted:

[…] reminds me of […] slashdot

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

honestly, our modern understanding of economics is such that we probably could switch from using trust funds to printing money to cover social security and medicare and even basic income without producing any significant inflation, much less hyperinflation, by adjusting a variety of other economic inputs and outputs to keep monetary velocity from changing too much

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

rjmccall posted:

from a less misanthropic perspective, of course, you might think giving a lot of people an extra 10+ years of normal life would be worth something to society

depends, can they work a register?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

it’s something that people like that hn poster really really want to crack down on

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Hollow Talk posted:

The interesting bit is that an AI is more capable of having something resembling a conversation with and being helpful to a woman than most hn poster, op.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

someone should make a text generation bot trained on the full corpus of HN comments (weighted by number of responses, of course) and then just set it loose on HN under an alias

feed it the story and other comments for a prompt

when someone replies, feed it the comment and reply for a prompt

etc

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

thats not mostly correct its entirely correct

yeah, much of the former Confederacy has been under effectively one-party rule since the end of Reconstruction

the name of the party the politicians most of the white people there vote for changed but the Jim Crow principles of the politicians haven’t

(this was the whole point of ending Reconstruction, of course)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

if the party changed its not one party rule just on its face.

even if the politicians themselves didn’t change?

one time they run as a D, the next time they run as an R, win both times because they court the racist white people vote and have zero changes to their other positions, sounds de facto one-party to me

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Morlock Primus

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

producing methane (a “biofuel”) at home is cheap and simple

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

also, nobody should gently caress musk

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

slashdot? more like slandot

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Plorkyeran posted:

the idea of getting gear or a spaceship or whatever in one game and then using it in a different game is something that only someone who has never actually played a video game could think would work or be a good idea.

can’t wait til the EU Parliament mandates it

or President Xi

President Xi, please, our DLC yearn for freedom

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Penisface posted:

i don't think a lot of 1st, 2nd generation white immigrants really acknowledge that structural racism and all the other cool ways to capitalistly keep poor people poor and hungry exist,

they’re specifically targeted by the far right’s messaging on this because they can be held up as examples when trying to deny the existence of structural racism in the US

and it’s not just white immigrants either, the far right tries to court both South and East Asian immigrants for that purpose as well, though they’re more likely to run into people who have actually experienced bigotry that way

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Mr.Radar posted:

cblconfederate 9 minutes ago | root | parent [–]

[a bunch of links "refuting" the previous post that banks would be fined for suspending all withdrawals even temporarily]

Anyway , i ve been burnt by banks enough in the past to know that binance is better than banks. I can't be preached about it.

I wonder just how that poster has been “burnt by banks”

I suspect it’s not the usual complaint of eg Wells-Fargo structuring deposits vs withdrawals to generate late fees

I bet “cblconfederate” got kicked out of the mainstream banking system for using sketchy cryptocurrency sites that don’t do KYC and got flagged for possible money laundering

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

fritz posted:

or without the restraint to know when it’s time to stop reading and start acting.

so this poster is suggesting that there’s a time to put down the theory and switch to praxis, hmm

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Harry Potter, or Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

just wait until we have full tissue regeneration

people will be selling their meat for cash to billionaires and other lizard people

but only when the price of regeneration treatments dips low enough, kind of like with the McRib

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Zamujasa posted:

the only good decoration was those old dell towers that had the circle dell logo on the front that you could rotate for vertical/horizontal orientation

DEC had this on minis that could be in different orientations in the early 1980s

you could run a BA23 QBus enclosure (MicroPDP, MicroVAX) in either horizontal or vertical orientation, so the model badge could be popped out, rotated, and popped back in during setup, just like the foot could be attached or removed

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

alexandriao posted:

And I am kind of just sad that we do not have more of that in the mainstream in general

are St. Vincent and Dua Lipa mainstream?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Hunter2 Thompson posted:

yeah nothing wrong with that, it's definitely cool and i do it too. i just think people who get dramatic about making phone calls are a little weird

I loathe synchronous real-time voice and video, and can just barely tolerate the occasional call with family or friends on top of all the meetings I have to attend for work

living in a semi-urban area and being able to place lots of orders and pick up without dealing with people has been a real sanity-saver

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

you don’t have to pay taxes though, just don’t earn an income or own property or purchase anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

alexandriao posted:

Soon the browser will spread to include qemu (no shut up i know about qemu in js) and we will have like a garbage mixture of SmallTalk or Pharo and fuckin.. virtualbox/docker

edit: lol got beaten too it

QEMU should have a WASM front-end as well as a WASM back-end, just for completeness