Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

as long as we gots eukaryotes and prokaryotes it's all golden, baby! just gotta wait another several hundo million years and then we're back in business!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

purposeless walking is non trivial to motivate yourself to do, in my experience

i used to do it when i lived in the suburbs but went into the city to get drunk, i'd stagger home the 5km on foot for fun!

but now i have a hyper hydrosis problem which makes any activity awful. still i walk 0.75km to work each day

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i'd walk all over if i didn't just turn into a giant pile of hosed poo poo!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

someone gave the weird comic guy a job?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Jose Valasquez posted:

tiahura 37 minutes ago [–]

“Even though these problems are societal, not really caused by the minorities themselves but rather lack of opportunities etc”
That’s the line of thinking that keeps many of them in that situation. We need to be honest -African American culture is largely dysfunctional and self-destructive. 120 years ago my ancestors were dirt poor, they didn’t have “equitable” opportunities in education, housing, or employment, yet they managed to not go around shooting each other, having children out of wedlock, or abusing drugs.

i hope someone kicks hn poster tiahura down a storm drain

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

1vuio0pswjnm7 1 hour ago [–]

That's great, but personally I do not use an ad blocker because I do not need to use a browser to search, download or watch video. Nor do I need python or youtube-dl. I download videos with something like

code:
curl -4o 1.mp4 $(curl [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1234567890a[/url]|sed  "s/\\u0026/\&/g"|grep  -o "https://r[0-9]\{1,2\}--[^\"]*"|sed -n /itag=22/p)
except I do not use curl.

I play videos with ffmpeg-based players. I do not need to be online to play video.

this is the gentoo grey-beard version of "i don't own a TV"

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

dude probably still adds "hd=1" to the URL query params on YT

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

hah yeah that's the OG poo poo

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

fritz posted:

jollybean 10 minutes ago [–]

"my job is to do the absolute minimum amount I can do to stay under the radar, why would I try?"
Because it's a form of systematic corruption, maybe the biggest kind of corruption in the White Collar world.
The objective is to 'do a good job' , not the minimum, in every endeavour.
Doing the 'bare minimum' to keep a job is actually generally far under-performing, as most companies won't generally let people go.
It's how entire industries stagnate and sink.
When internal participants spend most of their time fighting over the surpluses, it's over.
This applies to companies as whole as well of course, i.e. the $1B government contracts that should only be $500M etc. etc..
Do a good job. If there's a better fit elsewhere, that's fine too.

truly im speechless. this is a stunningly bad post.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

showdead reminds me of browsing at -1 on slashdot

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

fritz posted:

systemvoltage 3 hours ago [–]

Zeitgeist is caused by the pandemic x social media outrage x hardships due to lost jobs. Everyone is glued to the internet and we've started to form factions.
It's hard to conjecture this, let alone prove it, but a strawman take I feel like is adversarial foreign powers have influenced the social media outrage narratives to destroy the western spirit from inside out. HN is reflecting larger trends. Western spirit was about putting behind differences and doubling down on cooperation. Looking back, from post-WWII to now, I get goosebumps and feel sad that this is what we've become.
Nothing has changed in terms of good vs. evil of technology. Fundamentals are still the same. Not even space exploration has escaped HN's cynicism. It's time for me to move onto some other place.

lol this post reads like it was written by gpt-3

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

that has to be a troll i refuse to believe otherwise

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Plorkyeran posted:

anti-woke people loving hate rust because rust very clearly told them they weren't welcome in the community so they adopted this whole ideology where not only is rust bad, but its goals are bad too. it's a mix of really depressing and really funny.

that explains a lot

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Cold on a Cob posted:

lol that loving owns

also it reminds me of how people mix their hdds from different batches when building storage

that was less "people" and more "enterprise storage vendors" or so ive been lead to believe. not sure if they do it any more but the idea is that you'd stagger the MTBF of the drives so that they'd potentially fail months apart instead of weeks apart.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

interesting, they believe that implementing a bespoke federated privacy-preserving dating protocol would make getting a date easier and yet it is that belief and others like it which are the sole reasons preventing them from getting a date

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

mfer is like "getting a date is hard. lets try using excel"

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

tbf excel is real good at randomly making things that aren't dates into dates

ftfy

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

:(

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Mr.Radar posted:

yanderekko 11 minutes ago | parent | context | flag | favorite | on: ElonJet Is Now Suspended

Serious question: Is there an alternative narrative here? People are acting like Musk changed course for no reason, but are there no real claims that the account perhaps had started to engage in other rule-breaking content?

incredible. "i don't like this. is there perhaps a version that fits with my personal views and expectations?"

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

they edited their post and now it's even funnier:

yanderekko 2 hours ago | parent | context | favorite | on: ElonJet Is Now Suspended

Serious question: Is there an alternative narrative here? People are acting like Musk changed course for no reason, but are there no real claims that the account perhaps had started to engage in other rule-breaking content?

Note that I'm asking for an actual steelmanned argument for why there's no possible defense of Musk here, not why people have high priors to just assume there's no defense.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

SolTerrasa posted:

if the only thing they ever mention is bayes rule, probably they just read Harry Potter And The Methods Of Rationality

“steelmanning”, also a clue

i'd never heard the phrase "steelmanned" in my entire life until i read that HN post. i refuse to believe that it exists as a thing outside of high-school debate clubs

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

SolTerrasa posted:

unfortunately, the high school debate club metastasized

lol. lmao.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FPsEwWT6K0

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

distortion park posted:

if you imagine that musky acted completely differently, he's actually a lot more reasonable

honestly im surprised that sentiment towards the boer is shifting on HN. at least that's what it looks like from the comments posted where people are pre-emptively defending their defence of muskman

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

drat get a load of that fuckin scab

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

the torment nexus is clearly a reference to the Punishment Sphere base facility from SMAC

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

someone oughta nerve staple the hn posters

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

so as ive learned the term "financial violence" aka "financial abuse" is an aspect of domestic violence in which control of money is used as a means to control and further abuse victims. imo this makes that fuckheads post even more dogshit garbage.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

that poor bastard just got awaken from cryo sleep after being put under in '07.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

fritz posted:

abudabi123 1 hour ago | prev [–]

Whatever Tesla's teams in sw/hw/fsd are doing appears to be state of the art at industry scale, improving year on year. Certainly, more sophisticated than F-35 sw/hw vtol control.

i looked it up, apparently for the USAF theyve had zero pilot fatalities from F-35B mishaps since 2000. meanwhile the more sophisticated tesla has an unquenchable bloodlust

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

lobsterminator posted:

nvrgrls posted:

I think I'm gonna stop reading

ah yes, the slashdot gambit

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

fritz posted:

gsibble 3 hours ago | parent | context | next [–] | on: Bob Lee, former CTO of Square, has died after bein...

Bob was a good friend, tried to hire me numerous tries at Square, and was my next door neighbor for 3 years. I knew him well and spent a lot of time with him. He will be dearly missed.
I have been told from very well placed sources in the US Intelligence community this is probably a hit.
That being said, I left San Francisco in 2018 because I was worried I would eventually become the random murder that would finally wake up the tech world to what an absolute crime ridden shithole San Francisco is. Don't quote statistics at me. I had numerous police officer friends who told me the statistics are all fake since they purposefully don't report over 50% of the crime in order to keep the city looking halfway decent since so much of it depends upon tourist revenue.
I tried for years to tell my friends the city needed to take the crime problem more seriously and the response I always got was dismissal or that "it's no worse than any other major city."
Well, I live in another major city now and I can tell you with great certainty, SF is much, much, much worse.
And now a good friend is loving dead.
gently caress San Francisco.

guarantee this dude considers being poor and/or homeless a crime

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

lobsterminator posted:

Having multiple police officer friends is a red flag.

hell, having just one cop friend is a red flag

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

fritz posted:

hqudsi 2 hours ago | parent | prev | next [–]

Yea I like to describe fasting like going super saiyan but in spirituality and religiosity.

there is one God and SSJ Mohammad is his prophet

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i only know one thing about zizek and its this:

https://i.imgur.com/cMoaRbp.mp4

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Jose Valasquez posted:

hospitalJail 12 hours ago | next [–]

I'd like to see more tools on how to quit addictive behaviors. I read Power of Habit, so I can easily quit things, but not everyone was lucky to be gifted a 300 page book and read it. If that was taught as a class in high school, it might eliminate long-term drug addiction.
How many times are people subjecting themselves to social media they don't really want to view because they habitually unlock their phone and check their notifications?

These kind of things are fighting fire with a squirt gun. Telling people to 'use less' and 'monitor' are easy to beat with addictive platforms.

unemployed? learn to code. addicted to drugs? read a book. bing bong so simple

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

fritz posted:

NoImmatureAdHom 14 minutes ago | prev | next [–]

It seems obviously wrong to incarcerate citizens on the basis of ethnicity. That said, an important part of the discussion that usually isn't discussed at all is the Ni'ihau incident: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niihau_incident
TLDR: The first thing that happened in WWII for the United States was the attack on Pearl Harbor. The second thing is a Japanese pilot crash-landed on Ni'ihau on his way home from bombing Pearl, and a Japanese immigrant and a couple Japanese-Americans decided to take his side and help him (treason, of course). In the end a couple people were shot.

drat this dude sure is a piece of poo poo

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

the OP also seems to ignore the fact that when the federal/state/municipal government really really wants to do an infrastructure thing they'll just use eminent domain to bulldoze anything and everything. they've somehow blown straight past the fact that said governments are feckless and without the will to do poo poo and gone straight to "only force majeure, an act of God can solve this"

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

who?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

mystes posted:

On the other hand, in 2023 america, I doubt a state could even build a dense city from scratch after a megaquake. Even assuming that the existing landowners were paid enough to go away and not demand that their houses rebuilt exactly so you could start over from scratch, you would probably just end up with the new bay area being built into some dystopian nightmare like Phoenix, which seems to represent Americans' idea of the perfect city.

imo they should do it like in NGE where japan said "gently caress it" and just built Tokyo 2, then Tokyo 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

aeons ago when i went to get my driving learners permit i made the mistake of ticking the box on the form and writing in ADHD. had to go to some random GP and get a note from them saying "yeah this dingus is fine let em drive."

jokes on them i never got my license and the last time i drove was drunk and without one!!!