Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Captain Foo posted:

this term is deprecated, find a new one

six figgy fucklords

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i understand that we need to retire 'fucktard' for being slur'ish, but let's be honest: being a 'fucklord' sounds pretty awesome. i petition we go for the slightly boring 'fuckwit' until the right neologism is found.

it’s fucklord because you act like a member of the upper class but you’re actually a gently caress. hth

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Qwertycoatl posted:

coronavirus epidemic? don't worry, hackernews is on the case

brigandish 9 hours ago [-]

We all seem to be talking about guesstimates and data we can't be sure of, but I see little talk of what we can do.

If this were a tech problem - a big problem that seemed insurmountable - I would break it down into chunks as best I could, look at all the parts of the chain, and ask myself which I could be most effective in tackling first. Treat it like a sprint. Which part of the chain would that be?

With the caveat I'm not a domain expert, obviously, I'd go for the lack of testing kits - what makes testing for something like this so hard and so hard at scale?

Maybe it isn't and it's the supply of kits. Is this not something that is also "fixable"? There's a lot of intelligent and capable people on this forum, why not throw some pasta at the wall?

see if it were me i would simply fix the problems. not seeing what’s so difficult here but feel free to correct me where i’m wrong

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Suspicious Dish posted:

commandlinefan 11 minutes ago [-]

However you feel about unions (and I personally have many reservations), if tech workers unionize, management will have nobody to blame but themselves. They've had decades to listen to us, and they've responded with open offices, JIRA (or the equivalent) ticket quotas, unpaid overtime, whiteboard coding interviews and zero training. We're well paid but besides that, I'd be hard-pressed to think of a way we could collectively be treated with any more contempt than we already are.

the correct take

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i had a customer seriously proposition evaluating their developers based on the number of lines of code in their pull requests

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

junior bankers make relatively little money. lots more than the janitor, but probably a lot less than their boss's secretary.

like if you have the credentials to be a junior banker, you could make 2x as much money doing pretty much anything else in the world

it's all a giant loving competition to get one of the cherry senior jobs where the pay is outrageous, and very few of them will actually get that

like almost all will wipe out, quit, and get a normal job that pays better. for most of the junior bankers, the years of sacrifice and suffering will be for nothing. and sometimes that pressure is enough to drive them to suicide. it's an extremely lovely game

yep i have a friend who's just started going down this track. he's got a swanky mid-town manhattan apartment but i can tell it's driving him up the wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

now see if it were me i simply wouldn't get sick in the first place