Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

to be fair, yosposters do that poo poo all the time, cf “tooter” for twitter and similar

of course more than one thing in the world can be bad so 🤷‍♀️

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i mean you can try to make it sound cool, but we all know the truth. the terrible, terrible truth

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lancemantis posted:

Our documentation is a series of YouTube videos

also our short- and medium-format news articles, reviews, and recipes

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

soylent user spotted

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

whoa whoa whoa

hacker news is not computer scientists. computer scientists have phds and create new knowledge. hackernews has nodejs and creates nothing of value

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

alexandriao posted:

Or Kolmogorov

ooooh look at me im andrey im gonna define conditional probability in terms of unconditional probability im such a smarty man *snorts a fat line*

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

or someone else did. poe's law and all

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Neon Noodle posted:

vinyl houses just have a warmer tone man

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

mrmcd posted:

"I go through printers the way rock stars go through guitars" as new thread title.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

idk i can't recall ever having a GET have a side-effect bud.

really? youre lucky. also sorry if im missing :thejoke:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

bob dobbs is dead posted:

unread number is a get side effect thatsthejoke

oh of course, somehow i did not see that post. thanks!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Neon Noodle posted:

eventually JavaScript will re-evolve

thanks a lot now I'm sad

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

yeah I only know of him because he's a legend in the company

finally got manifesto readability thanks to mchurch

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

try not posting on or reading hacker news. it feels good.

just read the hn thread and let others make the sacrifice for you. yes, yes if everyone does this then there won't be any more content for the hn thread, but that's a risk im willing to take

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

what does this person think "canceling" entails. does he think there are magic words that make people hate you? like i want to understand what kind of world he lives in where a blog post that says "IF YOU CANCEL ME I WILL CANCEL YOU BACK" means something.

like, he gets caught dropping n-bombs or something and people say "dude stop being so racist" and he responds with "Nuh uh, you're canceled" and instead of people going "wtf are you talking about, you racist shitbird?" they slowly shrink into a corncob?

i just don't get it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

apple used to do phones and computers well. their phones are still the shiniest turd, idk about their computers any more because I don't know what's going on with the apple silicon really. before that, though, they weren't very good but were kind of bouncing back

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

mystes posted:

Even if you aren't going to freeze to death or whatever, why would you really want to micromanage your power usage on that level to hopefully save a few bucks?

there exist people who enjoy churning credit cards and black friday doorbusters and all that. i do not understand their brains in any meaningful capacity, but they're out there.

the charitable part of me wants to say "deals like that are a way for people without money to get stuff they couldn't usually afford". but i don't actually think that's it - the actual roi on doing that poo poo is almost always so low that it can't actually be for what you get out of it. it has to be for the raw feeling of getting a good deal or feeling like you pulled one over on walmart or whatever. people like that can spend 6 hours to make $30 over the course of a month and feel like they somehow came out ahead

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

epicurus was basically buddhist

or the buddha was basically the first epicurean, take it whichever way you want

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

the whole point of this thread is that you don't have to read hn to laugh at it

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that's true. but i won't get that far bc i rely on this thread to be my hn filter

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it always makes me laugh when incel weirdos just can't wrap their heads around the fact that women like loving as much as men do.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

a gifted investor

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Nomnom Cookie posted:

if capitalism won't give us a 20 hour workweek, we'll make it ourselves

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

tracecomplete posted:

turn on showdead.

absolutely not

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

supreme court decision i like: upholding the constitution!
supreme court decision i dont like: JUDICIAL ACTIVISM!!!!!!!!!!!!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

hachi machi that's a spicy one

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

but enough about yospos

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

alexandriao posted:

Bentham and Mills also were the first in Western Philosophy to put forth that morals are relative, not directly determined by God

nah

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i just want to list like half the early moderns and 90% of the greeks and non-christian romans here COME ON

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

utilitarianism suffers all the same problems as talk of "close possible worlds" as used in contemporary metaphysics, epistemology, etc. in that you're not discovering things when you articulate these half-formed scenarios, you're stipulating them with no way to tell whether or not the scenario you've (partially) described is even coherent. it's the philosophy version of "imagine we had faster than light travel but everything else was the same."

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

not category theory (at least what i'm familiar with)- that doesn't make predictions about the empirical world or rely on stories about it. the problem is "i tell a story about the world like THIS so the base concepts must be put together like THAT". proving some theorems, even if they're of the form "postulate p implies q" isn't the same as "here's a story about hedons, therefore buy bitcoin". but i'm not a mathematician

i don't know enough about economics or string theory to comment much other than to say that the criticism sounds right for the former but for the latter i thought string theory poo poo was just a bunch of speculative mathematics with no testable conclusions. that's not really science but it's also not the problem i'm talking about. but i might just be misunderstanding the criticism

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

*makes a dedekind cut*

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Penisface posted:

its just that i haven't heard of any employer being ok with this

google is explicitly ok with and encourages people to count their commute as work hours if they're doing work. it's pretty unlikely that somebody is actually doing work while driving, but if you're on the bus, train, or whatever it's expected that it counts as part of your work day.

one of the reasons that i was so keen to go zero-commute was that i get motion sick if i try to use a computer on the bus or bay area trains (the VTA basically follows car routes), so i couldn't reasonably take advantage of the "work on the train/bus" thing

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it's blinkzorz!

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

holy poo poo these people are even more broken than i thought

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

aint nobody taking a 90 minute shower, they're doing other poo poo for 90 minutes with the water on

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

unless theres some wacky poo poo i dont understand about hot water heaters, at low enough throughput you dont run out of hot water

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

mystes posted:

I don't have a gigabit water heater

gotta upgrade